12/28/09 10:56 PM
the boonies
aarcuda Offline OP
I Live Here
aarcuda  Offline OP
I Live Here

the boonies
Quote:

My question is, is there even a problem present?

As mentioned, without vac advance the phasing can't change. It's not possible.

Is there a running concern, or are you just checking the phase?

I've curved distributors for several years now on an old sun machine I have. I check the phase at assembly, and that's it.

The vac pod arm should be more than adequate to hold the plate if that's what you are running. When I delete the vac advance, I use a screw to hold the plate in place, and then a special cover over the slot for the arm to hold the cap. It has a tab on it like the advance pod did, but I have used the pod not hooked up before, if that is any help to you.

there is absolutely NO running concern. the motor runs great. makes great power. no misfire. revs fast. i shift at 6500 and it was still pulling )so it seemed).

this is just something i saw and couldnt explain. and im the kind of guy that when he sees something I cant explain, it bugs the heck out of me.

I really dont think the phasing is changing. if the rotor was that close to the #2 terminal, the #2 plug would have been getting the spark so my light shouldnt have lit. so i got that dumb "what the heck am i seeing cause that shouldnt happen" thing going on

It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.
Re: rotor phasing? anyone see this? [Re: AndyF] #565026
12/29/09 04:04 AM
12/29/09 04:04 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Once you start to make a bunch of power there is a real advantage to getting rid of all of that monkey motion and going with a crank trigger ignition and driving the distributor off the crankshaft. That is the way that most of the new cars do it.

getting rid of the high speed wobble in the shaft is alot simpler then installing a high dollar
crank trigger/drive system. hardened intermediate shaft and a good quality bushing is all you
need. as said before pin the plate and its good to go. making sure the centrifical weights
weigh the same helps to. lotsa little tricks can be done for next to nothing.

Re: rotor phasing? anyone see this? #565027
12/29/09 01:14 PM
12/29/09 01:14 PM
the boonies
aarcuda Offline OP
I Live Here
aarcuda  Offline OP
I Live Here

the boonies
i have the hardened shaft and the collar on the distributor shaft now....

It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.
Re: rotor phasing? anyone see this? [Re: aarcuda] #565028
12/29/09 01:21 PM
12/29/09 01:21 PM
the boonies
aarcuda Offline OP
I Live Here
aarcuda  Offline OP
I Live Here

the boonies
and make you all scratch your head a little more- i also have the mechanical advance locked out so i dont have weights slinging around in there (even though mech adv shouldnt matter)

Re: rotor phasing? anyone see this? [Re: aarcuda] #565029
12/29/09 03:37 PM
12/29/09 03:37 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

and make you all scratch your head a little more

No mas , borrow another light

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: rotor phasing? anyone see this? [Re: aarcuda] #565030
12/29/09 04:57 PM
12/29/09 04:57 PM
Ontario, Canada
Dodgem Offline
master
Dodgem  Offline
master

Ontario, Canada
My feeling is the rotor advances CW small block and CCW big block. the reluctor tangs passing the magnetic pickup triggers the spark. When the springs allow the reluctor to advance it gets the reluctor tangs to the magnetic pickup sooner making the spark sooner thus advancing the spark timing.

The Vacuum advance on the other hand moves the plate the magnetic pick up is attached too in the opposite direction also getting the reluctor tang and mag pick up together sooner for their love fest also advancing the timing.

Vacuum advance sucks by the way and should be unhooked in the tuning stages. Yata Yata Yata

oh look hear
http://www.msdignition.com/uploadedFiles...tor_phasing.pdf

Last edited by Dodgem; 12/29/09 04:59 PM.
Re: rotor phasing? anyone see this? [Re: Dodgem] #565031
12/29/09 05:07 PM
12/29/09 05:07 PM
Ontario, Canada
Dodgem Offline
master
Dodgem  Offline
master

Ontario, Canada
So some musings now.
in a perfect world the rotor itself would retard the same amount of degree's the shaft and reluctor advance???
So if the rotor and cap terminals were perfectly lined up with 0 advance as the shaft and therefore the reluctor advanced the rotor would retard the exact same amount of degree's keeping the rotor and cap teminals perfectly centered.

Then there is the vacuum advance "screw the vacuum advance!"

So a shortened slot distributor would have the advance and therefore the rotor moving in a smaller range and therefore easier to keep centered??

Oh well now my head hurts!!

Last edited by Dodgem; 12/29/09 05:08 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2