12/08/09 12:45 AM
12/08/09 12:45 AM
missouri, USA
moparmojo Offline OP
master
moparmojo  Offline OP
master

missouri, USA
Im wanting to convert from a standard dask to a rally dash and wondered what all the differences were. Obviously, the dash cluster would need to be changed, but are there other differences, such as the dash frame?

Re: What is needed to convert to a challenger rally dash? [Re: moparmojo] #548593
12/08/09 02:23 AM
12/08/09 02:23 AM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Dash frame is the same.. Wiring is dirrent but people have made it work in the past with a few spliced wires... obviously the bezels are different... 70 Challenger heater/heater-a/c panel & radio panel are different.. (No vertical lines with Rally dash)

Re: What is needed to convert to a challenger rally dash? [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #548594
12/08/09 06:38 AM
12/08/09 06:38 AM
Detroit, MI
CokeBottleKid Offline
master
CokeBottleKid  Offline
master

Detroit, MI
I wouldn't do it unless you have $$$

Wiring is different but more importantly is the bezels/surrounds

The drivers side vent/heater - A/C control goes for a couple hundred bucks... if you can find them..

Re: What is needed to convert to a challenger rally dash? [Re: moparmojo] #548595
12/08/09 07:30 AM
12/08/09 07:30 AM
FRANCE, Paris
Chal340 Offline
enthusiast
Chal340  Offline
enthusiast

FRANCE, Paris
RTE make a 70-74 Ebody non-rallye to rallye wiring harness conversion kit :
http://rt-eng.com/mediawiki/index.php/RTE_E_body_conversion_harness

70 Challenger, A66, 340 ci
Re: What is needed to convert to a challenger rally dash? [Re: moparmojo] #548596
12/08/09 12:02 PM
12/08/09 12:02 PM
Texas
Texican Offline
mopar
Texican  Offline
mopar

Texas
I converted a 71 Challenger (non Ralley) to a Ralley Cluster about 2 years ago and although it's not rocket science, there are a few things you must consider.

Questions:
Do you want to convert to a 3-speed wiper motor at this time ?
Do you want to keep your exisitng (non-ralley dash harness) ?

Either combination is a possibility...but with my conversion, I wanted to keep my existing (non-ralley) harness, but upgrade to a 3-speed wiper motor AND ralley guages.

If you upgrade your dash harness to a RALLEY HARNESS, the conversion will be (EASY) BUT you'll need to also changeout your wiper switch because the connector is completely different. But you can wire it individually using the Challenger wiring diagram.

If you buy a ralley dash harness, and ralley guages plus 3-speed wiper switch, you'll have no problems.

If you decide to use a (non-ralley) harness, then you'll need to do the following:

Loosen the steering column bolts from the dash frame so you'll have rrom to remove the cluster.

Pull old cluster and label all wires accurately including dash illumination lights, turn signals, brake, etc... (everything is compatable and will hook right up).

Move all wires according to where they go.

Be sure to take your time and be creative when it comes to moving the turn signals, bright light indicator, brake, and dash illumination lights...it may require adding a few additional dash illumination lights that were not on the non-ralley harness. You'll see what I mean when you get to that point -it's not difficult.

Then you'll hook up your Tachometer wire to ??? (depends on your setup...if you have MSD ignition, your factory Tach may not work and you might need to have your tach sent off to be setup for it...there are posts regarding how to make a tach work with MSD ignition).

Once everything is hooked up including sending units, power, ground, lights, etc... You'll need to start it up and test it.
Be sure to test your turn signals, bright lights, dash lights, etc...

The whole conversion should take less than 2 hours.

Good luck

Re: What is needed to convert to a challenger rally dash? [Re: CokeBottleKid] #548597
12/08/09 12:27 PM
12/08/09 12:27 PM
minnesota
Kirby Offline
pro stock
Kirby  Offline
pro stock

minnesota
Quote:

I wouldn't do it unless you have $$$

Wiring is different but more importantly is the bezels/surrounds

The drivers side vent/heater - A/C control goes for a couple hundred bucks... if you can find them..

I just converted my standard A/C panel to work with a ralleye panel. I used a corner from a cig pack, taped in place, and used bondo to make the corner that is missing on a standard ac panel. Used a dremel to shape it, and a little silver paint to reproduce the chrome edge. Sure if you look close you can see it- but it cost me about 2 bits to do it, and I'll bet few will ever notice.

Re: What is needed to convert to a challenger rally dash? [Re: Chal340] #548598
12/08/09 03:53 PM
12/08/09 03:53 PM
missouri, USA
moparmojo Offline OP
master
moparmojo  Offline OP
master

missouri, USA
Seems to be quite a bit to it. I feel dumb because I had a complete 71-74 ralley dash set up I bought from a neighbor years ago because it was a good deal. Did not think I would ever use it. So one year (before any of this or before I knew about ebay or craigslist) I took it to the Nationals and sold it to a vendor just so I could have a little spending money to buy stuff for my newly acquired 78 Lil Red Express. Obviously I did not know what those things sold for as I practically gave it away. I see on the RTE website that they appear to sell complete Ralley dash set ups for like $2500..ouch!

Re: What is needed to convert to a challenger rally dash? [Re: moparmojo] #548599
12/08/09 04:06 PM
12/08/09 04:06 PM
Texas
Texican Offline
mopar
Texican  Offline
mopar

Texas
If you break it down into small pieces...it's not hard at all.

Pull the wire off the temp gauge on your cluster and move it to the temp guage on the ralley cluster... and do the same for wire on the oil pressure guage, just move one wire from the old guage to the new guage....

Im sure if you have a local mechanic that's competent in electrical automotive wiring, he can do it for (I'm guessing) under $200.