midwest
I
intragration Offline OP
enthusiast
intragration  Offline OP
enthusiast
I

midwest
My 'Cuda was originally black with a white interior. When I bought it 20+ years ago, it had been converted to a fairly decent black interior with original parts. (with 2 drivers's side '70 Challenger seats...?) I'm in the process of restoring it, painting it In-Violet with a black hockey-stick stripe, obviously originality for originality's sake isn't a priority. I've thought about converting the interior back to white, just because it's cool looking, but with the still decent original black panels, it seems like kind of a waste, especially if the new ones aren't of the same quality or detail. How DO repop door panels compare to originals? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Re: 'Cuda door panels, thinking out loud [Re: intragration] #538914
11/28/09 05:40 AM
11/28/09 05:40 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

My 'Cuda was originally black with a white interior. When I bought it 20+ years ago, it had been converted to a fairly decent black interior with original parts. (with 2 drivers's side '70 Challenger seats...?) I'm in the process of restoring it, painting it In-Violet with a black hockey-stick stripe, obviously originality for originality's sake isn't a priority. I've thought about converting the interior back to white, just because it's cool looking, but with the still decent original black panels, it seems like kind of a waste, especially if the new ones aren't of the same quality or detail. How DO repop door panels compare to originals? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

The current repro vacuum formed door panels s u c k . I witnessed bits of Troy spending 4 hours fitting EACH door panel to his Challenger. That's 12 hours for all 4 panels. Part of the body had to be cut to get them to fit correctly and insure as much structual integrity as they can. And he works swiftly, he's fully built many top quality cars in the past, has been a full time mechanic, and has a full array of tools and equiptment.

You are much better off dying/painting the panel you have now white.

Now if you look in the new products thread... Metro parts is working on a new injection molded front door panels.

Re: 'Cuda door panels, thinking out loud [Re: autoxcuda] #538915
11/28/09 05:52 AM
11/28/09 05:52 AM
midwest
I
intragration Offline OP
enthusiast
intragration  Offline OP
enthusiast
I

midwest
Yeah, the color doesn't matter THAT much to me to dye or paint paint mine. I wouldn't trust it, I've seen panels that had been painted and were peeling, it looks worse than not even having door panels. Mine at least look pretty good. If these new ones come out and are good, maybe I'll think about it.

Something else I was thinking about, weren't there Gran Coupe seats with black and white houndstooth inserts? I wonder if these would work with '74 cores... (can't remember if there were plastic covers on the back of the earlier ones)

Re: 'Cuda door panels, thinking out loud [Re: intragration] #538916
11/28/09 02:26 PM
11/28/09 02:26 PM
NM
74fish Offline
mopar
74fish  Offline
mopar

NM

Re: 'Cuda door panels, thinking out loud [Re: 74fish] #538917
11/28/09 02:40 PM
11/28/09 02:40 PM
Hamtramck, PA
A
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
Alaskan_TA  Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
A

Hamtramck, PA
If you have not done so yet......

Can you please look inside the backs of both of those Challenger seats & let me know if you find any broadcast sheets?

Barry

Re: 'Cuda door panels, thinking out loud [Re: Alaskan_TA] #538918
11/28/09 02:54 PM
11/28/09 02:54 PM
NotRussia
2fast4yourBrain Offline
Whack top Dodger
2fast4yourBrain  Offline
Whack top Dodger

NotRussia
I like white interiors myself. Go for it if you want to spend the $$$.

If you can't wait to see how the new ones up and coming are, find some real crappy cores and have Just Dashes redo them in white.

At least you know they'll fit, but the grain won't be 100% correct.

That way you can keep your black ones if you want to change them back or sell them to recoup your costs from JD.

The repops...well...they don't really fit that well (huge gaps between the front and rears w/the doors closed) and the grain is off.

BTW, if your car was originally black...I would leave it at that. There is NOTHING meaner than a black 'Cuda IMHO.