11/25/09 07:30 AM
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline
I Live Here
patrick  Offline
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
Quote:

Cab i'm not trying to start any "discussion" if you know what i mean but imho there's NO way they're selling a american forged and machined crank for $600...just not happening. not that an import forging won't do the job (for many) and certainly surpass the oem piece if properly machined. i just don't see a 100% USA crank going for 25% of what others cost. of the imports i was under the impression eagle's stuff was "supposed" to be the best? obviously the leading problem with imports is the machining. i believe the callies compstar line is machined from imported forgings but they don't offer a bb chrysler crank.

yeah, I have my doubts that Ohio's lower end stuff is 100% american but....

if you were running chevies, Howards Racing Components has 100% american made cranks starting at ~$500 for small block chevs. when I talked to them a while ago they were forged at Louisville Forge in Kentucky, and machined at Callies.

http://www.competitionproducts.com/produ...amp;sort_by=ASC

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)
Re: What's the current opinion on Ohio Crankshaft cranks? [Re: drag440] #535390
11/25/09 10:09 AM
11/25/09 10:09 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

I bought a brand new Eagle crank and had to have it turned.

How long ago ?

Why didn't you just SCRAPE your bearings ? That seems to be the ACCEPTED practice for many ?? ... that was said sarcasticly ... ...

I bought an Eagle Blem for the EM470 project , got it from either Mancini or Muscle Motors , can't remember , it was cut .010/.010 to fix the wonderful Chinese finish SAND JOB. DRAM then cut it again to fit a 400 block AND increase the stroke , funny part is no scraping of bearings to make it fit ... something must be wrong ???

Re: What's the current opinion on Ohio Crankshaft cranks? [Re: jamesc] #535391
11/25/09 10:11 AM
11/25/09 10:11 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Cab i'm not trying to start any "discussion" if you know what i mean but imho there's NO way they're selling a american forged and machined crank for $600...just not happening. not that an import forging won't do the job (for many) and certainly surpass the oem piece if properly machined. i just don't see a 100% USA crank going for 25% of what others cost. of the imports i was under the impression eagle's stuff was "supposed" to be the best? obviously the leading problem with imports is the machining. i believe the callies compstar line is machined from imported forgings but they don't offer a bb chrysler crank.

I thought the same thing but I didn't want to start that bottle throwing ...

Re: What's the current opinion on Ohio Crankshaft cranks? [Re: JohnRR] #535392
11/25/09 12:36 PM
11/25/09 12:36 PM
Keysville, VA
D
drag440 Offline
mopar addict
drag440  Offline
mopar addict
D

Keysville, VA
Quote:

Quote:

How long ago ?

Why didn't you just SCRAPE your bearings ? That seems to be the ACCEPTED practice for many ?? ... that was said sarcasticly ... ...

I bought an Eagle Blem for the EM470 project , got it from either Mancini or Muscle Motors , can't remember , it was cut .010/.010 to fix the wonderful Chinese finish SAND JOB. DRAM then cut it again to fit a 400 block AND increase the stroke , funny part is no scraping of bearings to make it fit ... something must be wrong ???

I bought that crank about 4 years ago and its still in the engine and doing fine now. When I took it out of the box I checked it and had .0007 taper and .0003 out of round on the worse rod journal and was way up on the high side of specs so I did not have enough oil clearance either.

Re: What's the current opinion on Ohio Crankshaft cranks? [Re: drag440] #535393
11/25/09 03:07 PM
11/25/09 03:07 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

How long ago ?

I bought that crank about 4 years ago and its still in the engine and doing fine now. When I took it out of the box I checked it and had .0007 taper and .0003 out of round on the worse rod journal and was way up on the high side of specs so I did not have enough oil clearance either.

you're way too picky , the king of the bearing scraping crowd would have called that good

Re: What's the current opinion on Ohio Crankshaft cranks? [Re: JohnRR] #535394
11/25/09 03:21 PM
11/25/09 03:21 PM
Rock Springs
Bob_Coomer Offline
master
Bob_Coomer  Offline
master

Rock Springs
The first eagle crank i purchased was 5-6 years ago, back then there wasnt vendor after vendor stocking cheap china Cranks. This crank was $900 and when we checked it, it had taper, out of round, and was at the highend of the tolerance scale. This would have put the rod bearing clearance near .001..So we decided to grind the crank and fix a few things at the same time.
This didnt make me all that happy, but i knew at this point it was right..That engine just currently gave up the ghost. But after 100's and 100's of passes in several diff vehicles, thousands of street miles accumulated when I had it. It has been serving its purpose between the rails of a Mud pit racer truck now for a few seasons. He split the block and trashed the entire engine.

Those cranks are tough. I once seized two rods smoking the bearings and rods..The crank was turned and run hard, this happened near the beginning of its life.

[color:"red"]65 Hemi Belvedere coming soon [/color]
[color:"#00FF00"]557" Indy engine 1.07 60ft 144mph in the 8th 2100 lbs package [/color]
Re: What's the current opinion on Ohio Crankshaft cranks? [Re: JohnRR] #535395
11/25/09 09:52 PM
11/25/09 09:52 PM
Keysville, VA
D
drag440 Offline
mopar addict
drag440  Offline
mopar addict
D

Keysville, VA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

How long ago ?

you're way too picky , the king of the bearing scraping crowd would have called that good

I am very picky. I also ran a crank grinder every day for 12 years and I would have never let a crank leave my shop like that.

Re: What's the current opinion on Ohio Crankshaft cranks? [Re: jamesc] #535396
11/25/09 10:47 PM
11/25/09 10:47 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

JamesSC, no offense taken, I was repeating what I was told by Gary at Ohio Crankshafts back in 2002 or so. BTW, I was talking to one of the local Mopar racers this afternoon at coffee, he discussed a post on here( I think on here, general forum maybe ) about some SB RHS iron heads that a member had dynoed on a 360 magnum type street motor and was very pleased with those heads. They are around $800.00 complete and there 100% American made according to the engine builder. I think two heads with all the assorted parts would cost more to machine and make than one forged steel crankshft, metal is metal, it's all sold by the pound from the factorys. Steel costs more than iron, aluminum costs more than steel

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: What's the current opinion on Ohio Crankshaft cranks? [Re: Cab_Burge] #535397
11/30/09 09:44 AM
11/30/09 09:44 AM
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline
I Live Here
patrick  Offline
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
Quote:

Quote:

JamesSC, no offense taken, I was repeating what I was told by Gary at Ohio Crankshafts back in 2002 or so. BTW, I was talking to one of the local Mopar racers this afternoon at coffee, he discussed a post on here( I think on here, general forum maybe ) about some SB RHS iron heads that a member had dynoed on a 360 magnum type street motor and was very pleased with those heads. They are around $800.00 complete and there 100% American made according to the engine builder. I think two heads with all the assorted parts would cost more to machine and make than one forged steel crankshft, metal is metal, it's all sold by the pound from the factorys. Steel costs more than iron, aluminum costs more than steel

AFAIK the RHS's are cast in either Austrailia or New Zeland. IIRC most of the lower end valves are from Brazil...

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)
Page 2 of 2 1 2