11/11/09 01:37 PM
11/11/09 01:37 PM
Slantytown
DUFFMAN Offline OP
Ask And Ye Shall Receive
DUFFMAN  Offline OP
Ask And Ye Shall Receive

Slantytown
Insurance company said I can keep the car for $520 but it will have a Salvage Title on it. So I plan on keeping it, but since I need something to drive now I'll have to go buy another car. I'll try craiglisting it the way it is and see if I can cut my losses, if not I'll slowly fix it and get it inspected later.

No longer taking $h!t from anyone!
Re: Body Men - Neon Hood [Re: DUFFMAN] #520726
11/11/09 02:04 PM
11/11/09 02:04 PM
Wisconsin
A
Aero426 Offline
I Live Here
Aero426  Offline
I Live Here
A

Wisconsin
Quote:

Insurance company said I can keep the car for $520 but it will have a Salvage Title on it. So I plan on keeping it, but since I need something to drive now I'll have to go buy another car. I'll try craiglisting it the way it is and see if I can cut my losses, if not I'll slowly fix it and get it inspected later.

You can probably pick up a Certifit hood from them on Burnham Ave in West Milwaukee and not have to have it shipped.

Re: Body Men - Neon Hood [Re: Aero426] #520727
11/11/09 03:08 PM
11/11/09 03:08 PM
Slantytown
DUFFMAN Offline OP
Ask And Ye Shall Receive
DUFFMAN  Offline OP
Ask And Ye Shall Receive

Slantytown
If I fix it I'm going to need a hood, fenders, headlights and possibly a door. I added the Certifit site to my favorites for reference later, right now I need to find another car that will get me back and forth to work.

Re: Body Men - Neon Hood [Re: DUFFMAN] #520728
11/11/09 04:05 PM
11/11/09 04:05 PM
PA
70Duster Offline
top fuel
70Duster  Offline
top fuel

PA
Does your state have an involved, expensive procedure for putting a car back on the road that has a salvage title? If so, see if they will give you a check for just under the totalled value and keep the title clean. This saves the insurance company a few dollars and may save you a ton of hassle. In PA it used to be fairly easy, but a few years ago they made it much more expensive and difficult to go from a PA salvage certificate to a reconstructed title.

Re: Body Men - Neon Hood [Re: 70Duster] #520729
11/11/09 08:46 PM
11/11/09 08:46 PM
O
OLD318 Offline
super stock
OLD318  Offline
super stock
O

Your car is a 2004 Neon?

That doesnt sound right...
Your saying the insurance company totalled it
for a hood, fenders and bumper cover?

Is the book value only $520.00???

1) Did the airbag deploy?
2) Is the front frame damaged at all..

If the front box (frame) is bent and it
needed a new air bag module I could
see why they totalled it. That would make sense.

But for just the front sheetmetal/bumper cover
cosmetic, I don't see it.. but that's just me...

Did you get an official copy of the estimate?
or the writeup which spelled out all of the damage? Or did they just say "Sorry- totalled!".

I think they would give you something paper wise
explaining all of the damage and the cost versus
the current book value of the car.

Regardless, if they totalled it, they totalled it.

Keep this in mind, if the insurance company totals it, the title will get updated.
If you "fix" the car cosmetically, and then get into an accident and somebody gets hurt - they
could hold you liable for "fixing" that totalled car. Most folks won't take that risk...

good luck!

Re: Body Men - Neon Hood [Re: OLD318] #520730
11/12/09 09:20 AM
11/12/09 09:20 AM
new berlin wisconsin
M
Mr T2U Offline
master
Mr T2U  Offline
master
M

new berlin wisconsin
take pictures before you start on the job. save all of the receipts on the parts you buy. do NOT buy repair parts on ebay if they can't prove original origin. to get a salvage titled car licensed to drive on the road you have to have it inspected by the state patrol in waukesha county. in milwaukee county you have to take your car downtown and have the cops inspect your car.
all they basicly do is inspect the parts for VIN# tags or DOT stickers on the parts. they run the VIN#'s thru the database to check for stolen parts. the basically check to see if all of the lights work, horn, e brake, seat belts and any warming lights are lit on the dash. if the numbers are missing on the parts you have lots of splaining to do. if any parts show up stolen they remove them right on the spot, ask me how i know. if there is any frame damage they will want to see recipts from a repair shop if you are not a body man.
i have titled several salvage titled cars in wisconsin around 5 years ago. the rules may have changed so call the state patrol and ask to talk to someone who knows what you have to do before you start. save yourself the headaches.

perception is 90% of reality
Re: Body Men - Neon Hood [Re: OLD318] #520731
11/12/09 01:33 PM
11/12/09 01:33 PM
Slantytown
DUFFMAN Offline OP
Ask And Ye Shall Receive
DUFFMAN  Offline OP
Ask And Ye Shall Receive

Slantytown
Quote:

Is the book value only $520.00???

No that's the salvage value, basically what a salvage yard said they would give the insurance company for it. It booked out at $4300 private sale, unfortunately they won't give me retail because I don't have a replacement policy.

Quote:

1) Did the airbag deploy?

No, both airbags are fine.

Quote:

2) Is the front frame damaged at all..

No, the radiator support was bent slightly, but a couple of swings of a hammer straightend it out enough to install a new headlight.

Quote:

But for just the front sheetmetal/bumper cover
cosmetic, I don't see it.. but that's just me...

I have a $3800 estimate from a body shop to fix it; both fenders, both headlights, hood, bumper, grille and paint. The insurance company only wittled it down to $3200 with used parts. Since the damage is 74% of the value of the car it has to be totalled in WI. (more than 70%)

Quote:

Did you get an official copy of the estimate?
or the writeup which spelled out all of the damage? Or did they just say "Sorry- totalled!".

I have a copy of the body shop estimate but not the insurance companie's estimate. Based on the body shop's estimate it sounds reasonable to me.

Re: Body Men - Neon Hood [Re: Mr T2U] #520732
11/12/09 01:38 PM
11/12/09 01:38 PM
Slantytown
DUFFMAN Offline OP
Ask And Ye Shall Receive
DUFFMAN  Offline OP
Ask And Ye Shall Receive

Slantytown
Quote:

take pictures before you start on the job. save all of the receipts on the parts you buy. do NOT buy repair parts on ebay if they can't prove original origin. to get a salvage titled car licensed to drive on the road you have to have it inspected by the state patrol in waukesha county. in milwaukee county you have to take your car downtown and have the cops inspect your car.
all they basicly do is inspect the parts for VIN# tags or DOT stickers on the parts. they run the VIN#'s thru the database to check for stolen parts. the basically check to see if all of the lights work, horn, e brake, seat belts and any warming lights are lit on the dash. if the numbers are missing on the parts you have lots of splaining to do. if any parts show up stolen they remove them right on the spot, ask me how i know. if there is any frame damage they will want to see recipts from a repair shop if you are not a body man.
i have titled several salvage titled cars in wisconsin around 5 years ago. the rules may have changed so call the state patrol and ask to talk to someone who knows what you have to do before you start. save yourself the headaches.

I called the Manitowoc Sherff's Dept which is arthorized to do salvage vehicle inspection and this is what they told me I need;

1. $84.00 check written to the DOT
2. Envelope addressed to the DOT with 2 stamps
3. Filled out application for title
4. Filled out mafor parts statement (Form MV2673)
5. 4 photos of the vehicle before repair, one from each corner
6. Receipts for all major parts
7. Rent a lift from a local shop for inspection.

In the condition the car is in I should only have to replace the headlight assemblies to get it to pass. Both have cracks in the lenses. Other than that it's just dented up.

Re: Body Men - Neon Hood [Re: DUFFMAN] #520733
11/16/09 03:17 PM
11/16/09 03:17 PM
MA
Mass_Mopar Offline
master
Mass_Mopar  Offline
master

MA
Good luck with the Neon, I just finished fixing my GF's (except the leaking windshield washer fluid bottle)

Page 2 of 2 1 2