Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: 70 Challenger T/A - Engine Detailing - Whats correct? [Re: mopar346] #511201
03/02/15 05:22 AM
03/02/15 05:22 AM
Lancaster Pa
Transamcuda Offline
top fuel
Transamcuda  Offline
top fuel

Lancaster Pa
"Some of us prefer using original cars for reference, but even then we know that cars were not always built exactly the same every time"

I think everyone needs to remember this when researching. These cars were built by individuals and sometimes those individuals did things their own way and not according to correct production standards... different suppliers/manufacturers of parts...shortage of parts...build outs... All these things can be taken into consideration of why one car has it one way and another is completely different. Ive seen several questions concerning the raised circle on the valve covers... Barry,Scott and I just commented on a thread recently about this and it may very well be a manufacturer issue. If its one thing I think we all have learned after all this time and countless threads is there will always be that one car or one part that comes along and throws a wrench into what we consider the norm. Were they supposed to be built a certain way or to a certain standard?? Yes.. Did it always happen that way?? No.. 1st shift did things different than 2nd shift.. and 3rd did it different than everyone else.. and god help you if your car was built on a friday!!! lol

Home of the AAR Registry
www.transamcuda.com
Re: 70 Challenger T/A - Engine Detailing - Whats correct? [Re: mopar346] #511202
03/02/15 05:59 PM
03/02/15 05:59 PM
northwest USA
N
NANKET Offline
master
NANKET  Offline
master
N

northwest USA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Please define "right out of the barn", are we talking Hamtramck, MI in the spring of 1970? Or sometime later. As you know those will pull out quite easily sometimes.

Literally pulled out of a barn in South Georgia in the early-mid-80s, in a reasonable state of originality. There is some incorrect items in the pictures from then and it is known that the shortblock was replaced under warranty in 72 with a non-TA 340. By no means an absolute reference but a was a very original lowish-milage car. That is why I ask about the vent tube, I have seen both ways but most every car has some many incorrect items that I can point out that I have not found one I consider proof. Troy's in a N95 car and although I used it for many things in my restoration it is no good for that question. Barry's DVD is the closest to proof, it has no hose either. I believe no hose but I figured I would ask since I had all the experts tuned in.

Thanks, Kevin

Kevin, here we are again, this car was 15 years old with an engine change before you saw it. That is hardly proof positive that is was built that way. It doesn't prove it didn't come that way either, just no wat to know for sure when the timeline stops in the mid 80's.

Re: 70 Challenger T/A - Engine Detailing - Whats correct? [Re: NANKET] #511203
03/02/15 11:43 PM
03/02/15 11:43 PM
Florida
M
mopar346 Offline
Let me tell ya about fat chicks!
mopar346  Offline
Let me tell ya about fat chicks!
M

Florida
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Please define "right out of the barn", are we talking Hamtramck, MI in the spring of 1970? Or sometime later. As you know those will pull out quite easily sometimes.

Literally pulled out of a barn in South Georgia in the early-mid-80s, in a reasonable state of originality. There is some incorrect items in the pictures from then and it is known that the shortblock was replaced under warranty in 72 with a non-TA 340. By no means an absolute reference but a was a very original lowish-milage car. That is why I ask about the vent tube, I have seen both ways but most every car has some many incorrect items that I can point out that I have not found one I consider proof. Troy's in a N95 car and although I used it for many things in my restoration it is no good for that question. Barry's DVD is the closest to proof, it has no hose either. I believe no hose but I figured I would ask since I had all the experts tuned in.

Thanks, Kevin

Kevin, here we are again, this car was 15 years old with an engine change before you saw it. That is hardly proof positive that is was built that way. It doesn't prove it didn't come that way either, just no wat to know for sure when the timeline stops in the mid 80's.

"By no means an absolute reference but a was a very original lowish-milage car. That is why I ask about the vent tube,"

Kinda what I said and again that is why I am asking, I have viewed very few truly original AARs. And most I say have inaccuracies that I can pick out and I'm no guru, so the rest is automatically suspect. So do you know the answer of have any pictures or original examples that will verify it one way or the other?

Thank you

Careful, your character's showing!
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5