Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 26 of 38 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 37 38
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: HYPER8oSoNic] #506457
09/25/10 05:31 PM
09/25/10 05:31 PM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
For those that have been following this thread----last nht I had the privilege of meeting another memeber from here---"fullmetaljacket" here in NYC where it's been some time since I've been here---- especially in the Lower Eastside of New York.
While negotiating the Williamsburg Bridge took some skill (damn narrow lanes!) and the narrow streets, the ride was more than well worth it. "FMJ"treated me to the BEST Italian food I've had in quite some time & calamari that was worth comitting some serious felonies for! The owner, Julio also treated me like a VIP, again thanks to "FMJ" while we BS'd about Mopars, the old days, car mods and even other brands.
THANKS,LEE!
I'd suggest anyone that plans on visiting NYC to get ahold of "FMJ" as he can tell you some great stories and just where to really see NY.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: hemicop] #506458
09/26/10 06:58 PM
09/26/10 06:58 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

Your most welcome HC.
It was a pleasure.
Good street haunt follies always go well with swell food and spirits.
Julio who owns the joint, Il Bagatto in the L.E.S is a big car fan guy and loves the street legends.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: hemicop] #506459
09/26/10 08:45 PM
09/26/10 08:45 PM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

For those that have been following this thread----last nht I had the privilege of meeting another memeber from here---"fullmetaljacket" here in NYC where it's been some time since I've been here---- especially in the Lower Eastside of New York.
While negotiating the Williamsburg Bridge took some skill (damn narrow lanes!) and the narrow streets, the ride was more than well worth it. "FMJ"treated me to the BEST Italian food I've had in quite some time & calamari that was worth comitting some serious felonies for! The owner, Julio also treated me like a VIP, again thanks to "FMJ" while we BS'd about Mopars, the old days, car mods and even other brands.
THANKS,LEE!
I'd suggest anyone that plans on visiting NYC to get ahold of "FMJ" as he can tell you some great stories and just where to really see NY.

H-Cop, you were in GOOD company around Lee. He's a
top-notch guy that pulls no punches!! If you are
of good caliber, you definitely have a good friend
or, if you BS him you never have to worry about seeing him again, he just will not deal with you!!
It is great that you have made a "visit" back to the old neighborhoods (sightseeing). A lot has changed and a lot has stayed the same!! Good to
have ya back in NYC !! Lee you are a true " Hall of Famer" !!

Last edited by HYPER8oSoNic; 09/26/10 08:47 PM.

"Stupidity is Ignorance on Steroids"
"Yeah, it's hopped to over 160" (quote by Kowalski in the movie Vanishing Point 1970 - Cupid Productions)
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: HYPER8oSoNic] #506460
09/30/10 11:35 AM
09/30/10 11:35 AM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
Hyper, thank you. The next trip (I hope) will be with the Dart to cruise some of the old places and while it may be too crowded or the roads too rough to run anymore it'd be fun to get some "now" pics of some old style stuff cruisin along Connecting or the Conduit. Hell I'd love to get some pics with my car & Lee's. We were talking & it sounds like he's got himself a real nice B-body..........

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: hemicop] #506461
09/30/10 08:43 PM
09/30/10 08:43 PM
Fairview Tennessee
S
SV_MOPARS Offline
pro stock
SV_MOPARS  Offline
pro stock
S

Fairview Tennessee
summer of 1974, i was 16 1/2 years old cruising van nuys blvd with what i thought were a couple of friends in my mom's 73 buccaneer red trans am non sd, met up with a 73 sd trans am and a 67 396 4speed chevelle on a little side street called raymer, got spanked by both of them, well they got me about 2 car lengths each, i did have 2 more bodies in the car than them and not a hole lot of experience, well sheldon descided that weekend he was going to tell my stepdad about our little adventure, needless to say i was grounded from taking that trans am to van nuys blvd for a few weeks, ahhh the good old days, gone forever, sure wish i would have bought that tran am from them when they offered it to me for $3200 in 1975, that would have ment a car payment at the ripe old age of 18 or so. still can't believe that guy ratted me out!!

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: SV_MOPARS] #506462
09/30/10 11:43 PM
09/30/10 11:43 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

Okay, here's my Connecting story.
After a couple of weeks of bench scuffles as to who could beat who, we head out to the Connecting to do battle with a big small block Chevy S10 truck with a good shot of smack. The mopar is on pure motor. "Always have, and always will"
Like the old days, we met on top by the service road and worked out the details of the run.
Only about 30 or so people consisting of friends and bench racers were there to witness what was the first and maybe last race on Connecting since who knows when.
Any way, the cars line up under the first overpass and the traffic is already jittery and loud with their horns blowing.
A mutual friend of ours who's NYPD material waves them off with the Mopar pulling a good hole shot on the S10.
The Mopar had him strung out by a car for at least the 1000 mark line when his hit of smack entered the cylinders to save him. He passed the Mopar a hair right before the second overpass for the win.

The Mopar got its revenge the next weekend with a set of new plugs and an even better hole shot on 150th St.
He blew his motor trying to close the gap with an even bigger hit of the MOJO. The passenger side header blew completely off the flanges on the head.
Ahhhhhh, the sound of the motors during the burnouts under neath that overpass was some thing to remember for a life time at the Connecting.
People in the neighborhood must have said, Oh no! here comes that sound again.

Last edited by fullmetaljacket; 10/01/10 01:18 PM.
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: fullmetaljacket] #506463
10/01/10 10:30 AM
10/01/10 10:30 AM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
You ddn't go into details on that one when I was there---good story though!
With all this talk about Connecting I wonder if any young guys will actually try resurrecting the old tradition of running there. I know it'd be risky AND costly for anyone getting caught but it's been done before.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: hemicop] #506464
10/01/10 12:59 PM
10/01/10 12:59 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

It would be the only place to get the runs off with out endangering innocent people. It's only the other car, you and the Vatican walls if Murphy rears its ugly head.
The only breach point would be the high divider concrete walls that separate the South and North bounds.
When the run got off there, both directions were blocked and the start line was plagued with little goose bumps on the black top, but as soon as the 200 ft mark was reached, the smooth new concrete took hold of things. They probably stopped short right there while repaving ten or so years back because of that very same reason of it being resurrected to its old legend.
I still pass through it every time I go to pick up the thug from storage.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: fullmetaljacket] #506465
10/02/10 02:56 PM
10/02/10 02:56 PM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

It would be the only place to get the runs off with out endangering innocent people. It's only the other car, you and the Vatican walls if Murphy rears its ugly head.
The only breach point would be the high divider concrete walls that separate the South and North bounds.
When the run got off there, both directions were blocked and the start line was plagued with little goose bumps on the black top, but as soon as the 200 ft mark was reached, the smooth new concrete took hold of things. They probably stopped short right there while repaving ten or so years back because of that very same reason of it being resurrected to its old legend.
I still pass through it every time I go to pick up the thug from storage.

Truth said!! I thought of the idea
of running Q-Blvd (Queens Blvd viaduct under the LIE overpass) at one time, BUT even that would have to be a kamikaze-in and out run.

Last edited by HYPER8oSoNic; 10/02/10 03:59 PM.

"Yeah, it's hopped to over 160" (quote by Kowalski in the movie Vanishing Point 1970 - Cupid Productions)
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: hemicop] #506466
10/02/10 04:12 PM
10/02/10 04:12 PM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

You ddn't go into details on that one when I was there---good story though!
With all this talk about Connecting I wonder if any young guys will actually try resurrecting the old tradition of running there. I know it'd be risky AND costly for anyone getting caught but it's been done before.

I think H-Cop, the "tuner crowd" does do some
"random" guerilla runs at the Connecting to the
LIE or Q-Blvd exits. Normally they are just high
speed slalom-type passes off the Grand Central, not the "block-em up and run type" we are used to.
It's the jackrabbit principle, same as the superbikers use on the highway/boulevards. BUT they DO get caught on occasion, usually it's the
smoking tires at the start or wheelies performed
that does it!!

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: HYPER8oSoNic] #506467
10/02/10 11:46 PM
10/02/10 11:46 PM
Roscoe, IL
V
velocity2215rq Offline
velocity2215rq  Offline
V

Roscoe, IL
Was around 1986 we had several areas around town we used to cruise to and hang out. Was cruising through North Towne Mall one night alone. As I idled through the parking lot in my stock lime green 70 Coronet R/T these 2 guys stopped me and asked if I would be interested in "running" my car against thiers? (I was 16 at the time and this was my first car and had never street raced a day in my life!) I said ok where? They took me out Riverside aways to a point where 4 lanes turned into 2.

They stopped in a local church parking lot and explained what to do...they said when the stop light turns red get up there and when it turns green go! So I did as they said. As we approached the red light they stopped for a second and began to power brake the car which at the time I had no idea why but assumed to warm the tires. As I watched the smoke roll off the back of the car I thought to myself oh my god that car was going to beat me very bad. Well I then thought maybe I should power brake my car and warm up the good old F70's...so I did. We got to the red light. Sitting at the red light I was nervous and had the shakes due to adreneline. Not knowing much about racing at that point I left the car in "Drive" and let it shift itself. The light turned green and we were off! I got a small jump on them...the car shifted into 2nd and I pulled a little more ahead...hit drive and was just plain leaving them behind! I won my first race...WOW!

We met back at the North Towne Mall. They asked if I would give them another chance? I agreed. The driver of the car said his friend was going to drive this time. Before we headed out again they started letting air out of the rear tires on their car. So back out to the lights by the church aagin...got up to the light...warmed up the F70's again...left the car in "Drive" again. The light turned green and it was the same thing all over again...I had won my second race in the same night! I was now hooked!!

We met back at the mall. They asked what do you have in that thing? I said a stock 440 Magnum. The one guy said to the other "I Knew It!". Could we look at it? I popped the hood and there it was...Dual snorkle air cleaner...AFB carb...cast iron intake...stock exhaust manifolds. I asked to look at theirs and kind of reluctantly they agreed. Wow it was spotless...and looked pretty with gold valve covers and gold air cleaner (MOROSO), Holley carb. I asked what motor it was...they paused and gave me a funny look. It's a 350 they told me...then paused and gave me a funny look. I said well it sure is nice and I left.

Now here comes the best part of the story. A few years later I was at a cruise night in another city with my dad in his 71 Cuda. These 2 guys approached me and said "Didn't you use to own a lime green superbee or something like that?" I said yea. They asked do you remember us? I said not right off hand. They said we raced you a few years ago...we had that Gold colored Olds 442. Then I remembered. Then they said "I guess it is ok to tell you now that it actually had a 454 in an oldsmobile" they said "We had a lot of time and money in that motor and when you beat us twice we were kinda upset at the time". "We couldnt believe you didn't know what motor it was and you were looking right at it!

I was 16 and just a kid at the time! We talked for a little bit and got a big laugh out of the whole thing!

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: velocity2215rq] #506468
10/03/10 12:44 AM
10/03/10 12:44 AM
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Wagonmaster Offline
I Live Here
Wagonmaster  Offline
I Live Here

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Quote:

Was around 1986 we had several areas around town we used to cruise to and hang out. Was cruising through North Towne Mall one night alone. As I idled through the parking lot in my stock lime green 70 Coronet R/T these 2 guys stopped me and asked if I would be interested in "running" my car against thiers? (I was 16 at the time and this was my first car and had never street raced a day in my life!) I said ok where? They took me out Riverside aways to a point where 4 lanes turned into 2.

They stopped in a local church parking lot and explained what to do...they said when the stop light turns red get up there and when it turns green go! So I did as they said. As we approached the red light they stopped for a second and began to power brake the car which at the time I had no idea why but assumed to warm the tires. As I watched the smoke roll off the back of the car I thought to myself oh my god that car was going to beat me very bad. Well I then thought maybe I should power brake my car and warm up the good old F70's...so I did. We got to the red light. Sitting at the red light I was nervous and had the shakes due to adreneline. Not knowing much about racing at that point I left the car in "Drive" and let it shift itself. The light turned green and we were off! I got a small jump on them...the car shifted into 2nd and I pulled a little more ahead...hit drive and was just plain leaving them behind! I won my first race...WOW!

We met back at the North Towne Mall. They asked if I would give them another chance? I agreed. The driver of the car said his friend was going to drive this time. Before we headed out again they started letting air out of the rear tires on their car. So back out to the lights by the church aagin...got up to the light...warmed up the F70's again...left the car in "Drive" again. The light turned green and it was the same thing all over again...I had won my second race in the same night! I was now hooked!!

We met back at the mall. They asked what do you have in that thing? I said a stock 440 Magnum. The one guy said to the other "I Knew It!". Could we look at it? I popped the hood and there it was...Dual snorkle air cleaner...AFB carb...cast iron intake...stock exhaust manifolds. I asked to look at theirs and kind of reluctantly they agreed. Wow it was spotless...and looked pretty with gold valve covers and gold air cleaner (MOROSO), Holley carb. I asked what motor it was...they paused and gave me a funny look. It's a 350 they told me...then paused and gave me a funny look. I said well it sure is nice and I left.

Now here comes the best part of the story. A few years later I was at a cruise night in another city with my dad in his 71 Cuda. These 2 guys approached me and said "Didn't you use to own a lime green superbee or something like that?" I said yea. They asked do you remember us? I said not right off hand. They said we raced you a few years ago...we had that Gold colored Olds 442. Then I remembered. Then they said "I guess it is ok to tell you now that it actually had a 454 in an oldsmobile" they said "We had a lot of time and money in that motor and when you beat us twice we were kinda upset at the time". "We couldnt believe you didn't know what motor it was and you were looking right at it!

I was 16 and just a kid at the time! We talked for a little bit and got a big laugh out of the whole thing!

The innocence of youth...way to go!! Great tale.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: Wagonmaster] #506469
10/12/10 06:49 PM
10/12/10 06:49 PM
Elwood, IL
D
daveakre Offline
daveakre  Offline
D

Elwood, IL
Kinda off topic, but this stuff still goes on in a big way. 1800hp cars on the street?! Wish I had the scratch to participate!

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=142841.0

-dave

1973 Dodge Dart Swinger - turbo small block project
http://jaquetapus.com
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: daveakre] #506470
10/12/10 07:44 PM
10/12/10 07:44 PM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
Couldn't get on the site, but if yu're taling about 18oohp cars, these are the things that , sorry, IMO, ruined streetracing. Those are great, impressive cars to see--on the track. With that much hp, the car is hardly inexpensive or your "average" car. Even the most serious of streetracers had MAYBE a 1000hp, worked a 60-hour week and didn't need an engineer to tune his car. PLUS (for the most part) the guys were honest. There's no way a 19 year-old mechanic, making 20-30 dollars an hour can afford an 1800hp racecar HONESTLY. Now we weren't all "saints" back then either, and yes, many "high-end" racers made their money in "other" ways, but the AVERAGE guys worked hard, lived for the week-end and raced what they could honestly afford.
Nowadays the cars are too expensive, too high-tech, and the penalties too severe to rationalize running a 6-second streetcar the way we did our 9-second or slower cars---and you know what? I'l bet we had just as much fun with a 11 or 12-second car as these guys are having with their quicker machinery.
Sorry, a tube-chassised, carbon-fibre bodied, mountain-motor ride that looks like a ProMod doesn't impress me.......

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: hemicop] #506471
10/12/10 07:54 PM
10/12/10 07:54 PM
Sebring, Florida
M
Mopar Grandpa Offline OP
top fuel
Mopar Grandpa  Offline OP
top fuel
M

Sebring, Florida
Sorry, a tube-chassised, carbon-fibre bodied, mountain-motor ride that looks like a ProMod doesn't impress me.......

Amen Brother, me neither. Take those cars to the track where they belong.......oh my....I've become my father.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: hemicop] #506472
10/12/10 08:01 PM
10/12/10 08:01 PM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
To try to stay on topic, here's a story that, while a bit newer than the 60s, is on-topic & some guys may even relate to it.
Up until the early 80s, Central Ave in Phoenix, Az. was the place to be. When I was a rookie, I was sitting on a side street one Saturday night, just waiting for some guys to "light 'em off".
Sure enough, inside of 20 minutes 2 guys square off at an intersection about 4 blocks from me. Since this was nighttime they couldn't see me, but I could hear their engines revving, each one trying to coax the other into jumping first. When the light went green both cars took off, the '66 Goat pulling the Camaro by a fair amount. As they passed me, I followed in, going after the Goat. The driver tried swerving a bit in & out of the traffic he had caught up to, but now that he was forced to slow down I easily stayed with him. He finally pulled into a parking lot, jumps out of the car & starts screaming: "Honest, Officer my brakes failed & I couldn't slow the car down!"
Yeah, right....
I went up to his car, stepped on the brake pedal numerous times & as expected his brakes were fine-he was screwed up! I told him he was flat-out he was lying & that I saw his whole "race" from the start. He kind of apologized and after receiving about 5 tickets he was allowed to go.
Being an old-time streetracer in a place where it was a daily occurence has its advantages. While I never wrote alot of "drag racing" tickets in my day, when I retired I was looking over some old paperwork & realized I had a 100% conviction rate--bad for the racers,but I think it did show I knew a race when I saw one........

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: hemicop] #506473
10/12/10 08:18 PM
10/12/10 08:18 PM
Sebring, Florida
M
Mopar Grandpa Offline OP
top fuel
Mopar Grandpa  Offline OP
top fuel
M

Sebring, Florida
That must have been difficult giving out tickets for the very thing you did in your younger years but your job was to uphold the law so you were doing your job.
My first ticket was in my newly purchased 62 Dodge Dart, I bought it on a Friday and drove it to school on Monday. After school I was stopped within a quarter mile of the grounds and issued a ticket for loud pipes, 50mph in a school zone, reckless driving and drag racing. Only thing that held up in court was the reckless driving which was 6 points. Judge gave my license to my mom for 3 months. I think I already posted this story.....sorry.....I'm old and forgetful. Now what was I saying?

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: hemicop] #506474
10/12/10 08:55 PM
10/12/10 08:55 PM
new york
P
paris401 Offline
super stock
paris401  Offline
super stock
P

new york
Quote:

i agree, but seeing some of these rice-burners, running a 2.2/or 2.5 or whatever, in the 9'00 or less.... pretty impressive...

thats why if i'm at a lite, next to one and he's revving, i let him go... it would be pretty embarrasing to have him waiting for me at the next traffic lite... him with a 2.2L, and me with a 440 30over... (dont know how many liters that is)...

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: fullmetaljacket] #506475
10/12/10 10:44 PM
10/12/10 10:44 PM
NYC
M
MRVCODE Offline
top fuel
MRVCODE  Offline
top fuel
M

NYC
Quote:

Certain BB Cuda was probably Billy from upstate. He had that thing on kill covertly running high 11's with stock HP exhaust manifolds way before the F.A.S.T guys were in vogue. All due respect to the F.A.S.T guys.
Drunk Mike or Budweiser Mike was no joke on the go pedal and steering. The more he drank, the better he drove and cut a mean hand drop.
I DO NOT condone drinking and driving, especially racing.
For the record, Fountain lost its edge once the un-appreciates bled over from Columbia St. aka Redhook.

Lee,
Mike is still around, I was with him last week, still crazy but has calmed down quite a bit. South ave was a blast, we would stay there for hours at a time with no interuption. Remember "UFOOLU" Jimmy Peters with a mean Black 69 Charger R/T, "Bart7" 67 olds 442 running 10.0's in street trim...Good times. I have some awesome pics from when we would block off the entire West shore expressway and race!

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: MRVCODE] #506476
10/13/10 10:19 AM
10/13/10 10:19 AM
new york
P
paris401 Offline
super stock
paris401  Offline
super stock
P

new york
there was great street racing in all the boros (ex man.), but for sheer volume of continious racing, nothing came close to south ave... before the accident...

Page 26 of 38 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 37 38