PA USA
F
flatiron Offline OP
super stock
flatiron  Offline OP
super stock
F

PA USA
My Dart currently has 14 in wheels on it. What differences would I see if any as far as performance goes going to 15 inch wheels would it change my reaction times overall et. Going to a larger rear wheel/tire combo does that raise or lower your gear ratio?

Re: Front wheel size 14 or 15 inch [Re: flatiron] #498513
10/16/09 12:28 PM
10/16/09 12:28 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

My Dart currently has 14 in wheels on it. What differences would I see if any as far as performance goes going to 15 inch wheels would it change my reaction times overall et. Going to a larger rear wheel/tire combo does that raise or lower your gear ratio?

A larger(taller) rear tire and wheel will affect the amount of tire RPM in each gear, which has the same effect as changint the gerar ratio some. A 26 inch tall tire versus a 30 inch tall tire has the same affect percentage wise as changing the same gear ratio that same percentage, which is 13.3 %. You would end up with a higher speed at the same rprm in high gear, the bigger tire is heavier also so it may have some affect, but usually when you increase the tire size and the motor is not wound out before the finish line the car will go quicker in ET and probally react quicker off of the line, not a bunch but some.

Last edited by Cab_Burge; 10/16/09 11:21 PM.

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Front wheel size 14 or 15 inch [Re: flatiron] #498514
10/16/09 05:36 PM
10/16/09 05:36 PM
Florida
Locomotion Offline
master
Locomotion  Offline
master

Florida
15" wheels will give you a the choice of a very much larger variety of tires to use, whether it be height, width, rubber compound, overall diameter, brand, etc. A wider variety of styles and offsets are also available with 15" wheels.

Front tire diameter will have the biggest affect on your reaction time. But exactly what you need can only be narrowed down through testing. If you position your car in exactly the same spot on the starting line each time, then a shorter tire will provide faster RT numbers than a taller tire because a taller tire will take longer to roll out of the starting line beams after YOU react to the lights.

Rear tire height should be tailored to what gears you will use and how much emphasis you put on acceleration or cruising/highway travel. As Mr. Cab described, tall tires = less gear ratio , shorter tires = more gear ratio. If it's a dual-purpose. street/strip car, you may have to compromise. Tall tires and/or 3.23 gears will not accellerate anywhere near as fast as short tires and/or 4.10 gears.

Another item to consider is that a taller tire will actually put a little bigger "footprint" on the ground, which should help traction. So for optimum traction AND accelleration, use the tallest tire you can fit in the wheelwell and as much gear ratio as it takes to overcome the larger height/diameter plus provide maximum accelleration for the 1/4 mile. The tire/gear combo would depend on how modified your engine/converter is and its optimum rpm at the finish line. Too much overall gear ratio and it will "lay down", float the valves.

If you drive on the street also, you'll need to compromise so the engine is revving at high rpm when in high gear, especially on the highway. That will just wear it out quicker and provide dismal fuel mileage.

The extra weight of a taller tire isn't a significant performance concern.