Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline OP
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline OP
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
What can, or is being done to prevent this? I hear people are using counters, traction control, lasers? What do racers do to protect themselves or to levcel the playing field? I am just starting to be frustrated with the big money reaces, and would like to hear some opinions. Especially you geys on the East coast.

Re: Bracket race cheaters-NHRA and IHRA [Re: camastomcat] #497574
10/15/09 09:46 AM
10/15/09 09:46 AM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

What can, or is being done to prevent this? I hear people are using counters, traction control, lasers? What do racers do to protect themselves or to levcel the playing field? I am just starting to be frustrated with the big money reaces, and would like to hear some opinions. Especially you geys on the East coast.

There is not much that can be done,it goes on in every sport.The attitude"it ain't cheating,till you get caught" is the norm.And with some of the sophisticated techonology it is hard to find.The tech inspectors have a difficult time finding and proving anything.So until there is obvious infractions that can be seen and proven some will have an advantage.In the words of the great"Smokey Yunick"Streatching the rules to the maximum is not cheating" Smokey was also the guy that made the template for NASCAR to fit his altered body lines of his Chevelle,embarrassing all of NASCAR officials.Then there was the mopar guys,oh never mind.

Re: Bracket race cheaters-NHRA and IHRA [Re: B G Racing] #497575
10/15/09 10:00 AM
10/15/09 10:00 AM
Pennsylvania
proshiftcharger Offline
pro stock
proshiftcharger  Offline
pro stock

Pennsylvania
Quote:

Quote:

And with some of the sophisticated techonology it is hard to find.The tech inspectors have a difficult time finding and proving anything.
Quote:

Exactly, I just had this discusion with a moparts member this week, It wasnt about cheating but about tech inspecting for SFI approved components.

Back to what to do about it....call them out, tell your tech officials but before you do make sure youre 100% correct in your accusations and be ready to back it up...
because if youre wrong then....

Re: Bracket race cheaters-NHRA and IHRA [Re: proshiftcharger] #497576
10/15/09 10:11 AM
10/15/09 10:11 AM
BX, CT, FL.
B
B1KILLER Offline
pro stock
B1KILLER  Offline
pro stock
B

BX, CT, FL.
their cheaters in all sports, look @ athletes with the use of steriods, like it was said b4, it ain't cheating unless you get caught. That has been proven threw out history, and it will never change, some people need that extra edge.

5546548-atco10.jpg (373 downloads)
Re: Bracket race cheaters-NHRA and IHRA [Re: B1KILLER] #497577
10/15/09 10:16 AM
10/15/09 10:16 AM
sc
T
tjmarcus1 Offline
top fuel
tjmarcus1  Offline
top fuel
T

sc
someone explain all this to me.

Re: Bracket race cheaters-NHRA and IHRA [Re: B1KILLER] #497578
10/15/09 10:18 AM
10/15/09 10:18 AM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline OP
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline OP
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
I have a real hard time accepting that philosophy. Ceating is still ceating. Like holding cards in a poker game, it's cheating, and to join them would make you a ceater too. I'm not infering that you are, but accepting that thought process, makes it acceptable. They need to catch them or at least look for it. That's their job!!!! (NHRA)& (IHRA)

Re: Bracket race cheaters-NHRA and IHRA [Re: camastomcat] #497579
10/15/09 10:44 AM
10/15/09 10:44 AM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

I have a real hard time accepting that philosophy. Ceating is still ceating. Like holding cards in a poker game, it's cheating, and to join them would make you a ceater too. I'm not infering that you are, but accepting that thought process, makes it acceptable. They need to catch them or at least look for it. That's their job!!!! (NHRA)& (IHRA)

Welcome to the real world,look at the olympic runner that was a female or male? Is developing a perfect mouse trap cheating?Alot of what someone does to gain advantages is unknown to others and there are no rules that apply,similar to crime,if there is no law is it a crime.If society deems it a crime then they inact a law. If you feel some one is cheating NHRA and AHRA has a process called"protest",you make your claim,put up the bucks and let the chips fall where they may.Tech officials have a tough enough time making sure the cars pass tech,race with in the rules established and running the programs let alone try and find all the hidden tricks of trade.My wife still won't share her secret ingredients of her candy.So unless it is obivious or blaten,don't expect much help from race techs,some of the racers and builders are pretty savy.Use the process of protest,if you feel someone is cheating.To charaterize everyone who works hard to develope their combs to be successfull a cheater is not fair.

Last edited by B G Racing; 10/15/09 10:52 AM.
Re: Bracket race cheaters-NHRA and IHRA [Re: B G Racing] #497580
10/15/09 11:17 AM
10/15/09 11:17 AM
Walton's Mountain, Pa
Steve1118 Offline
master
Steve1118  Offline
master

Walton's Mountain, Pa
"I have a real hard time accepting that philosophy. Ceating is still ceating. Like holding cards in a poker game, it's cheating, and to join them would make you a ceater too. I'm not infering that you are, but accepting that thought process, makes it acceptable. They need to catch them or at least look for it. That's their job!!!! (NHRA)& (IHRA)"

I think most of us here more than likely agree with you in principle. But, like BG said, we live in the real world.

The problem I have with bracket racing anymore is that there is no "fun" factor in it anymore. It's like going to work, full of yuppies who feel they have to win at all costs.

I have been moderately successful over the past forty years or so, and I have long since given up the thought that I am ever going to make money at this. So, I prepare well, and do the best job I can do (I'm still pretty competitive), but I'm not ready to burn someone down or punch someone out in order to win. But, I see it all the time, especially at these big bracket races. No one talks to each other, everyone walks around with their "game face" spoiling for a fight.

One of the BG team cars, Don Martek, took out a very serious bracket heavy hitter several weeks ago, went over to shake hands after word and the guy wouldn't talk to him. What's up with that?

Have fun. Over the long run, the memories and the fun are the only lasting thing you'll ever get out of this game.

"Old age and treachery trumps youth and enthusiasm, every time!"

East Central Director / Chrysler Power Magazine

www.reasbeckracing.webs.com
Re: Bracket race cheaters-NHRA and IHRA [Re: Steve1118] #497581
10/15/09 11:31 AM
Fancy Farm Ky
W
wyoming Offline
top fuel
wyoming  Offline
top fuel
W

Fancy Farm Ky
It's going to be really hard to catch the cheaters in the electronic classes, and going to get harder as technology increases, but the footbrake classes are much easier to assure that nothing is being used, having two different footbrake classes with a et break of about 10 seconds would be the best way to slow it down, it would still take some tech time at every race though.

Re: Bracket race cheaters-NHRA and IHRA [Re: camastomcat] #497582
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
It is cheating when the rules define what they are doing as cheating, traction control is not allowed in several proffesional classes but not in bracker racing the last time I check the rulle book. I wasn't loooking at traction control per se but I don't think it is prohibited in the bracket classes. As far as the use of lasers fill us in on that one please

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Bracket race cheaters-NHRA and IHRA [Re: camastomcat] #497583
10/15/09 11:32 AM
10/15/09 11:32 AM
BX, CT, FL.
B
B1KILLER Offline
pro stock
B1KILLER  Offline
pro stock
B

BX, CT, FL.
I agree with you cheating is cheating, I don't accept it, but it is what it is. To many people do it and don't get caught, thats life. And as long as they don't get caught, that mite even start to think its right, but until they get caught, they will con't their ways. Its reality.

5546678-atco10.jpg (321 downloads)
Re: Bracket race cheaters-NHRA and IHRA [Re: Steve1118] #497584
10/15/09 11:40 AM
10/15/09 11:40 AM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

"I have a real hard time accepting that philosophy. Ceating is still ceating. Like holding cards in a poker game, it's cheating, and to join them would make you a ceater too. I'm not infering that you are, but accepting that thought process, makes it acceptable. They need to catch them or at least look for it. That's their job!!!! (NHRA)& (IHRA)"

I think most of us here more than likely agree with you in principle. But, like BG said, we live in the real world.

The problem I have with bracket racing anymore is that there is no "fun" factor in it anymore. It's like going to work, full of yuppies who feel they have to win at all costs.

I have been moderately successful over the past forty years or so, and I have long since given up the thought that I am ever going to make money at this. So, I prepare well, and do the best job I can do (I'm still pretty competitive), but I'm not ready to burn someone down or punch someone out in order to win. But, I see it all the time, especially at these big bracket races. No one talks to each other, everyone walks around with their "game face" spoiling for a fight.

One of the BG team cars, Don Martek, took out a very serious bracket heavy hitter several weeks ago, went over to shake hands after word and the guy wouldn't talk to him. What's up with that?

Have fun. Over the long run, the memories and the fun are the only lasting thing you'll ever get out of this game.

I agree with Steve.The last 3 years we elected to race specific events that included nostalgia racing rather than chase any of the local points races.We have more fun at Mopar Nats,Chrysler Classics and Beaver Springs.But we still love going to a bracket race and letting them know we can still kick some butt.With BGR racers like Donny,Chaz,Britt,Pap,Earl,Casinis,Darryal,Ronnie,Kyle,Walt Sr,Walt Jr,the Smiths and many more it's great toget together at the events and leave some marks.

Re: Bracket race cheaters-NHRA and IHRA [Re: Steve1118] #497585
10/15/09 11:42 AM
10/15/09 11:42 AM
western pennsylvania
b1dartsport Offline
super stock
b1dartsport  Offline
super stock

western pennsylvania
Quote:

Work is Work, fun is fun. If bracket racing gets so serious that it is not a way to blow off steam anymore,people need to get a new hobby. Just don't rain on other peoples parade.

Re: Bracket race cheaters-NHRA and IHRA [Re: b1dartsport] #497586
10/15/09 11:45 AM
10/15/09 11:45 AM
Raleigh N.C
H
hemiparts Offline
"Missile Pilot"
hemiparts  Offline
"Missile Pilot"
H

Raleigh N.C
Define cheating, IMO if I hold some numbers back then run you right up to the fender and hold you there to either force you to break out or dump you @the finish line. Thats cheating

Re: Bracket race cheaters-NHRA and IHRA [Re: Steve1118] #497587
10/15/09 11:46 AM
10/15/09 11:46 AM
new jersey usa
11secdart Offline
master
11secdart  Offline
master

new jersey usa
I agree that a lot of the fun factor has disappeared a lot of it has to do with the NHRA Division always changing the classes. When I started racing there were 4 classes S/P, Pro, Heavy and Street now there are three S/P. Pro and Street in Division One and the ET breaks are always changing. Pro used to be its own Class 11.00 to 11.99 now its the old Heavy 9.00 to 17.99 no electronics.Street is now 11.50 to 19.99. IMO 9.00 cars don`t belong in Pro but the track operators seemed to think there were alot of 9 second cars sitting because they didn`t want to put delay boxes in. Why can`t they just leave the classes alone? I ran Pro/ Heavy for years but when they started allowing 9 second cars in IMO it wasn`t fun anymore with my mid 10 second car. Last year I slowed my car down, put DOT tires on the front, Hoosier QTPs on the rear and now run 11.50s in Street Eliminator and am having fun racing again and I`ve qualified for the Bracket Finals the last two years, being one of the fastest cars in the Class makes it fun again also. At my local track there is a lot of self policing and we all know most everyone. The racers themselves keep a pretty good eye on each other. One of the tech guys is also a regular racer and has a good idea what to look for. A longtime racer in the Eastern Pa area was caught with a delay box racing in Pro ( no electronics) I heard he got a ban as he should have but I don`t know what it was. I also agree that some guys are way to serious and take the fun away. There will always be people trying to cheat and you can`t rely on the tracks or association to police it fully. The track operators are having a hard enough time attracting cars in some cases let alone chasing cars away. If you suspect cheating speak up to the track operator or tech guys.

68 Dart 410 / 904
92 D150 original owner
21 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, Big Horn , Hemi ,4x4
23 Audi Q5
16 Honda HRV
Re: Bracket race cheaters-NHRA and IHRA [Re: b1dartsport] #497588
10/15/09 11:49 AM
10/15/09 11:49 AM
SW Ohio
C
cgall Offline
top fuel
cgall  Offline
top fuel
C

SW Ohio
If you want to know more about how it is done, do a search on DRR or CompPlus, plan on spending the weekend reading.

There is very specific verbage in the rulebook about types and wiring of devices. Several violators have been caught recently at big money races, they claim they weren't doing anything wrong, tech man disagrees.

Bottom line is, the tech man and the race promoter have the last say. If you are concerned at your local track, have a discussion with your tech guy and see if he is looking.

Re: Bracket race cheaters-NHRA and IHRA [Re: cgall] #497589
10/15/09 12:03 PM
10/15/09 12:03 PM
indiana
moparbrown14 Offline
enthusiast
moparbrown14  Offline
enthusiast

indiana
they have ruined the bracket 2 with the delay buttons. the nhra rule book says in the non electronics class "no delay devices" tell me the long draw buttons arent a delay device. some have figured it out to leave off the top bulb. here in the midwest the bracket 2 is almost like super pro. you have to have a 15 or better to win. you cant do that consistant with a footbrake car. alot of us old guys are ready to quit.

Re: Bracket race cheaters-NHRA and IHRA [Re: cgall] #497590
10/15/09 12:06 PM
10/15/09 12:06 PM
The Swamp
MegaDart Offline
master
MegaDart  Offline
master

The Swamp
IIRC, traction control devices are illegal in bracket racing. At least anything with real time display. That said, programmable digital ignitions are perfectly legal, stupid NHRA...
You would have to be able to decipher code to catch some of todays cheaters, and first you'd have to find it!

And before some idiot comes on here and says it's simple just do it like we did back in the 70's and take all the electronics out. Let me say I LOVE electronics racing. It's a numbers game and I love numbers. Most of the guys around here ain't much smarter then me, lol, so not to worried about them cheatin'. Now the big money races, the Winter Series, etc. that is another story.

Re: Bracket race cheaters-NHRA and IHRA [Re: Cab_Burge] #497591
10/15/09 12:13 PM
10/15/09 12:13 PM
Newport, Mi
Evil Spirit Offline
master
Evil Spirit  Offline
master

Newport, Mi
Quote:

It is cheating when the rules define what they are doing as cheating, traction control is not allowed in several proffesional classes but not in bracker racing the last time I check the rulle book. I wasn't loooking at traction control per se but I don't think it is prohibited in the bracket classes. As far as the use of lasers fill us in on that one please

I think the lasers being refered to is the optical sensors that can pick up the top, or any bulb actually, and trigger the delay box to launch the car.
With todays tech, I can sit in the stands and launch a car, using a remote start unit. If I toss in an optical sensor, it can be pointed at the tree, then when the tree comes down, it reads it, activates the delay box, and "poof" the car leaves. Same deal as the post awhile back about the "camera" being pointed at the tree; then once someone stepped in front of the camera (blocking the tree) the car didn't leave.
Nobody wanted to listen 20 yrs ago when the boxes started going into the cars. Now the doors are open and the horses are out of the barn - good luck catching them. Solution - 2 classes. (1) NO electronics (2) Everything goes - boxes, crosstalks, throttle stops, traction controls optical sensors, GPS, - whatever it takes for you to get down the track. Let your wallet race the races.

R.I.P. Bracket Racing Hello Electronics 1320

Free advice and worth every penny...
Factory trained Slinky rewinder.........
Re: Bracket race cheaters-NHRA and IHRA [Re: hemiparts] #497592
10/15/09 12:16 PM
10/15/09 12:16 PM
Florida
Locomotion Offline
master
Locomotion  Offline
master

Florida
Quote:

Define cheating, IMO if I hold some numbers back then run you right up to the fender and hold you there to either force you to break out or dump you @the finish line. Thats cheating

"Bagging" is not cheating, it's simply playing games. It doesn't "force" you to do anything. The number one rule in handicap racing is to RUN YOUR OWN RACE. You are not really racing the other guy. You are racing against the clock. The one who does a better job wins.

Personally I don't care for sandbagging because I don't drive the finish line as well as some other people. I sometimes do when I'm totally lost on what to dial. That can happen when your next run is the next day and a weather front has moved through.

Cheating, as others have described, is using electronic driving aids that aren't allowed by the rules.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8