UK
602heavy Offline
pro stock
602heavy  Offline
pro stock

UK
Quote:

Quote:

Over time i've found the 2* per 50 hit does'nt always work , in saying that it worked pretty well on an old 440 i ran , the 605" i run now likes around 1* per 50 hit (300 shot) if you base it on timing pulled per 50 shot , when i sprayed it with a 200 shot it liked 1.5* per 50 , so you can see with this engine the more i spray the less spark lead needs to be pulled , if i step up to a 500 shot then who knows , it might start going the other way regards timing , guys new to this have got to start somewhere & i found the 2* per 50 WAS a good starting point when i running the cheater plate , if the fuel you use is the correct rating & the plugs are right for the ammount of spray you're gomnna be using then i don't think pulling 2* per 50 is gonna hurt the motor when spraying around 150/200 shot , just gotta read those plugs after the first 1/8th make pass & go from there , you may find the motor wants more or less timing , @ least you had a starting point ,& yes bigger hits are a different ball game , but by that time the begginer should have a hadle on it.

Obviously I can't tell you what to do, but I wish you would please stop suggesting these timing formulas. They don't work. Even your own examples, don't work, so why quote them. This is not goood info for a beginner.

Monte

If you have to shoot me down then @ least read the whole post , i said i did'nt agree with the 2 per 50 rule , i also said it does'nt always work & gave an EXAMPLE of how much timing per 50 shot would equate to if you work the figures back , again the 2 per 50 rule goes out the window , Nos reccommended this 2 per 50 rule , also the wayyyyyy fat jet spread on their plates , you are obviously well standing with Holley/Nos so i would of thought you would have sorted this issue long ago (still not sorted) , you are well respected on ALL sites & i also respect you're knowledge , a lot of guys run nitrous & we live in a big world , there are ways of passing comment without ripping a guy to shreds , the original poster wants a timing figure for a 150 shot (no biggie) , i suggested if he had to go by the 2 per 50 rule then pulling 3 per 50 would'nt hurt any parts as he'd be pulling 9* on a 150 shot , what would you suggest?.

& yes i am a member of YB , where i also follow you're postings along with other great guys on there , so if you can cut us mere mortals a bit of slack it would be appreciated.

Last edited by 602heavy; 10/12/09 01:36 PM.
Re: NOS ???? [Re: moparniac] #493245
10/12/09 08:00 PM
10/12/09 08:00 PM
UK
602heavy Offline
pro stock
602heavy  Offline
pro stock

UK
Quote:

I would buy one of your books Monty

I would also buy one of those books.

Re: NOS ???? [Re: 602heavy] #493246
10/13/09 12:24 AM
10/13/09 12:24 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
I was not trying to rip you at all. I was merely trying to point out, that all your talking about timing numbers and 1.5 per 50, 2 per 50, 3 per 50, was all very confusing and I KNOW what you are trying to say and talking about, but all that will get a beginner lost very quickly. When I deal with a beginner, I want to find out everything about his combo. Heads, compression, cam, converter, gear, fuel and sparkplug. I want to know what nitrous jet he has, not that it has a xx hp tune. I want the actual jet numbers and what solenoids he has. If he has a powershot solenoid, or cheater, or pro race, that will greatly effect, how much nitrous a given jet will pass. So I want specifics. If I get these numbers, I will give a jet spread, a fuel pressure and timing number, and pretty much guarantee it to run well, run clean and most importantly, to run safe. So to me, there is no magic formula, or "this should get you close" scenario. One of the largest problems with nitrous, is the vast amount of misinformation out there. If you are on the Bullet, you see it often. Guy wants to know about so and so tune, and immediately starts getting tuning suggestions from all sorts of people and not one has asked about the combo. Same thing on this board and is one of the main reasons I seldom post on nitrous threads. I figure if a guy is really serious about it and wants my help, he will PM me. I know this particular poster has asked about nitrous before and same as this time, someone suggested he call me. I have never heard from him, so I assume he did not need or want my help, which is fine, not everyone does. But I hate posting tune up numbers on a forum like this, because someone else will see it, who may have a totally different combo. They try it and it does not work with what they have, then myself and nitrous, both get a bad name.

As far as why Holley/NOS has not corrected the issue...well, I have been there nearly 4 years and it has taken this long, to actually make this happen, as I have been working on this from day one. You have to understand, that as many kits as we offer, I had to go over every possible kit and combination of kits and adjust all jetting patterns. Then, all instruction sheets had to be rewritten and new jetting packs put together and made ready for use and finally, new catalogs are being printed. It's not like you can say, "hey, we should change that" and it happens in a few weeks.

Monte

Page 2 of 2 1 2