SW Ohio
C
cgall Offline
top fuel
cgall  Offline
top fuel
C

SW Ohio
My point is to know your track. If that guy knew of the lake, he would have tried to spin the car out or turn away.

The two tracks I have raced at mostly over the years I know well and would have a strategy for brake failure. Edgewater has a pretty long shutdown and a sand (mostly mud) trap, then a few trees at the edge of the Great Miami River. There were a few deaths years ago when fast cars went into the river. I have talked to bracket racers that lost brakes there, they were able to make the turn onto the return road (or into the adjacent field) without turning over.

Tri-State Dragway is similar, although they run S/P and Pro on 1/8th mile now. Go straight and you will hit 100 ft. of corn, then the river. Turn left and you can try to make the return road or more corn and then trees.

I believe that both Indy and Columbus have the large catch nets installed now.

Re: NO BRAKES [Re: cgall] #479369
09/25/09 06:52 PM
09/25/09 06:52 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline OP
I Win
Quicktree  Offline OP
I Win
Q

Quote:

My point is to know your track. If that guy knew of the lake, he would have tried to spin the car out or turn away.

The two tracks I have raced at mostly over the years I know well and would have a strategy for brake failure. Edgewater has a pretty long shutdown and a sand (mostly mud) trap, then a few trees at the edge of the Great Miami River. There were a few deaths years ago when fast cars went into the river. I have talked to bracket racers that lost brakes there, they were able to make the turn onto the return road (or into the adjacent field) without turning over.

Tri-State Dragway is similar, although they run S/P and Pro on 1/8th mile now. Go straight and you will hit 100 ft. of corn, then the river. Turn left and you can try to make the return road or more corn and then trees.

I believe that both Indy and Columbus have the large catch nets installed now.

all good points, when my son was racing thats the first thing we did at new tracks. drove to the top end and talked about ways out. and gville did have a catch net, it failed...

Re: NO BRAKES [Re: VernMotor] #479370
09/25/09 06:54 PM
09/25/09 06:54 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
There was a guy about 5-6 years ago that was running a pretty hot Vette, ran like a high 4 eighth mile, was running at our local track.

The car came off strong and broke traction around the 60' mark, he lifted and then nailed it again. I recall thinking that was pretty dumb at the moment. It sure was.

The throttle hung and when he got to the stripe he pulled the chutes and they just sort of popped open and collapsed in a half second or so.

Instead of just hitting the kill switch, he simply held on as the car ran about 1/4 mile under full throttle. He hit the trees at the end right after he minced the hay bails and such. He lived but was air lifted. Never really heard anything after that. The Vette was hauled out of the woods in tiny pieces.

Still not sure why he didn't at least kill that motor. Maybe he was so spooked he froze up.

Every older racer at the track was shaking their head about how an experienced guy would try to get back on a busted run.

Re: NO BRAKES [Re: Blown71X] #479371
09/25/09 06:55 PM
09/25/09 06:55 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline OP
I Win
Quicktree  Offline OP
I Win
Q

Quote:

What ever you think, there are always options...reverse at triple digit speeds is NOT one.

sure it is, tell me how many tracks have walls past the finish line? so you are saying you would rather cut down trees than to spin out and roll? I say have it.

Re: NO BRAKES [Re: SomeCarGuy] #479372
09/25/09 07:01 PM
09/25/09 07:01 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline OP
I Win
Quicktree  Offline OP
I Win
Q

Quote:

There was a guy about 5-6 years ago that was running a pretty hot Vette, ran like a high 4 eighth mile, was running at our local track.

The car came off strong and broke traction around the 60' mark, he lifted and then nailed it again. I recall thinking that was pretty dumb at the moment. It sure was.

The throttle hung and when he got to the stripe he pulled the chutes and they just sort of popped open and collapsed in a half second or so.

Instead of just hitting the kill switch, he simply held on as the car ran about 1/4 mile under full throttle. He hit the trees at the end right after he minced the hay bails and such. He lived but was air lifted. Never really heard anything after that. The Vette was hauled out of the woods in tiny pieces.

Still not sure why he didn't at least kill that motor. Maybe he was so spooked he froze up.

Every older racer at the track was shaking their head about how an experienced guy would try to get back on a busted run.

did he get knocked out? very possible.

Re: NO BRAKES [Re: Quicktree] #479373
09/25/09 07:38 PM
09/25/09 07:38 PM
oklahoma
F
forphorty Offline
pro stock
forphorty  Offline
pro stock
F

oklahoma
Years ago i bought a 72 Challenger as a roller and dropped my street 440 and 727 into it. Unbeknownst to me , the car had a power brake master cylinder pushrod with a manual mc. There was no brake light switch either, so nothing to keep the rod from coming out,which it did on my first pass. What a surprise to find the brake pedal up against the bottom of the dash when it came time to stop. A downshift to 2nd didn't help much, so i went to reverse. I thought i could just bump reverse and put it back into neutral. Locked up the slicks and pitched the car sideways pretty good. Instantly. Can't say i wouldn't do it again but it would probably be a last resort. Im sure i was well below 100 mph when i thought to put it into reverse. Hate to think what would happen at high speed.

Re: NO BRAKES [Re: forphorty] #479374
09/25/09 07:56 PM
09/25/09 07:56 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline OP
I Win
Quicktree  Offline OP
I Win
Q

Quote:

Years ago i bought a 72 Challenger as a roller and dropped my street 440 and 727 into it. Unbeknownst to me , the car had a power brake master cylinder pushrod with a manual mc. There was no brake light switch either, so nothing to keep the rod from coming out,which it did on my first pass. What a surprise to find the brake pedal up against the bottom of the dash when it came time to stop. A downshift to 2nd didn't help much, so i went to reverse. I thought i could just bump reverse and put it back into neutral. Locked up the slicks and pitched the car sideways pretty good. Instantly. Can't say i wouldn't do it again but it would probably be a last resort. Im sure i was well below 100 mph when i thought to put it into reverse. Hate to think what would happen at high speed.

great story, and proves again that it could work under extreme conditions. you stoped the car and didn't crash. yes it's last resort but a viable option none the less. and look how many people didn't know it was an option.!!!!!!!!

Re: NO BRAKES [Re: camastomcat] #479375
09/25/09 07:57 PM
09/25/09 07:57 PM
Arizona
C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline
master
Chris'sBarracuda  Offline
master
C

Arizona
Quote:

downshift to first, and hit transbrake. That's what I would do

Well, since this happened to my car. I kind of knew what to do, (after the fact.)
Since Billy D always shut the motor off after the stripe, he had no way of doing the correct thing. (that won't happen again)

If the engine is running ..Yes you can downshift into low gear, (powerglide) and start tapping the trans brake button.
It would most likely damage the trans, but the damage to my car, is much, much worse that a broken powerglide..
Just my from already having gone through it..

Chris..

Re: NO BRAKES [Re: Quicktree] #479376
09/25/09 08:09 PM
09/25/09 08:09 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fastest 300
Re: NO BRAKES [Re: Chris'sBarracuda] #479377
09/25/09 08:10 PM
09/25/09 08:10 PM
aotearoa
rebel Offline
master
rebel  Offline
master

aotearoa
at our backwater out in the sticks track we've had more than a few cars roll off the end of the track. now days on a raceday, we have a removable section of fencing which allows errant racers free access to the bush which also goes uphill. the bush has two clear tracks that go further into the bush each time we have an oopsy. none of the cars that go bush have any major damage, just a bit of bush rash from the spikey gorse bushes. nothing a good car painter can't fix.

Re: NO BRAKES [Re: Chris'sBarracuda] #479378
09/25/09 08:11 PM
09/25/09 08:11 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline OP
I Win
Quicktree  Offline OP
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

downshift to first, and hit transbrake. That's what I would do

Well, since this happened to my car. I kind of knew what to do, (after the fact.)
Since Billy D always shut the motor off after the stripe, he had no way of doing the correct thing. (that won't happen again)

If the engine is running ..Yes you can downshift into low gear, (powerglide) and start tapping the trans brake button.
It would most likely damage the trans, but the damage to my car, is much, much worse that a broken powerglide..
Just my from already having gone through it..

Chris..

exactly

Re: NO BRAKES [Re: Quicktree] #479379
09/25/09 08:53 PM
09/25/09 08:53 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

most mopar bracket guys run a torqueflite with a no low band apply trans.
so going into 1st will only make you free wheel.

Re: NO BRAKES #479380
09/25/09 09:30 PM
09/25/09 09:30 PM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
Quote:

most mopar bracket guys run a torqueflite with a no low band apply trans.
so going into 1st will only make you free wheel.

I think you will find more and more ARE running an LBA valve body these days. Both my 904's have LBA's, and my turd isn't even that fast. At RT66 I'd have to stay in it to the 2000' mark just to coast to the end of the shut down.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: NO BRAKES [Re: Quicktree] #479381
09/26/09 12:18 AM
09/26/09 12:18 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Quote:

Quote:

did he get knocked out? very possible.

Would have had to happen after the chutes came out at the eighth mile.

He was out after the trees no doubt.

Re: NO BRAKES [Re: SomeCarGuy] #479382
09/26/09 12:28 AM
09/26/09 12:28 AM
S.E. South Dakota !
bigdad Offline
Still Posting A Lot
bigdad  Offline
Still Posting A Lot

S.E. South Dakota !
I'm always just a bit suprised on the people that want to go FAST 1st, slow down 2nd ..

More than once , I've had someone come up to me and say

"wow, the shut down area is short"

Did you go look at the end before you belted in ?

Ahh, gee ..No I didn't ?

Kidding me right ..No man, I didn't ..

You dumb chit ..

I have a nice brakes and a chute and think about what if each and every pass ..

Sadly few do ..

i have a friend with a old tea cup master cylinder , Hemi car goes low , low 10's big old heavy b-body ..seen it go 10.19

thinks its cool , "nostalgic"

Be real cool flying off the end at a buck 135

The lips of fools bring them strife, and their mouths invite a beating.Proverbs 18:6
Re: NO BRAKES [Re: bigdad] #479383
09/26/09 02:53 AM
09/26/09 02:53 AM
Q
Quicktree Offline OP
I Win
Quicktree  Offline OP
I Win
Q

Quote:

I'm always just a bit suprised on the people that want to go FAST 1st, slow down 2nd ..

More than once , I've had someone come up to me and say

"wow, the shut down area is short"

Did you go look at the end before you belted in ?

Ahh, gee ..No I didn't ?

Kidding me right ..No man, I didn't ..

You dumb chit ..

I have a nice brakes and a chute and think about what if each and every pass ..

Sadly few do ..

i have a friend with a old tea cup master cylinder , Hemi car goes low , low 10's big old heavy b-body ..seen it go 10.19

thinks its cool , "nostalgic"

Be real cool flying off the end at a buck 135

yep that was the whole point for the thread, to make people think. but some find it idiotic

Re: NO BRAKES [Re: Quicktree] #479384
09/26/09 03:06 AM
09/26/09 03:06 AM
Netherlands
72Challenger Offline
pro stock
72Challenger  Offline
pro stock

Netherlands
I would have pull the chutes, hit the clutch pedal and go to 3rd...then repeat it going into 2nd and 1st...

'
Re: NO BRAKES [Re: John_Kunkel] #479385
09/26/09 08:21 AM
09/26/09 08:21 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Put it in Reverse.

that tends to rip the outer race of the overruuning clutch out of the case

How? The band stops the rear drum which stops the sprag inner race.

A local Pro Gas racer once stuffed it in Reverse at 130+ mph, (trying to hit Neutral so he could read the plugs) brought the trans to me for a look/see and I couldn't find any damage.

Don't know John , but when I was 17 or 18 I did it in my moms 72 fury doing about 45mph , the rears locked and the engine stalled. A few years later when we junked the car I saved the trans , took it apart and when I flipped it bellhousing side down the outer race and a piece of the case fell on the floor ...

Re: NO BRAKES [Re: B G Racing] #479386
09/26/09 08:36 AM
09/26/09 08:36 AM
Lehigh Acres, Florida
rickstershemi Offline
master
rickstershemi  Offline
master

Lehigh Acres, Florida
Quote:

If like you say he traveled a mile before ending up in the lake why not just shut down the engine in gear and let the distance of the shut down bring you to a slow controlled stop or controlable speed?I have seen guys blow an engine at the stripe and leave the car in gear,not touch the brakes because of oil and get it slowed enough to exit the track to the return road,even using the resistance of a rearend spool to even slow it more while exiting and steering on the return road to a safe stop.Locking slicks up at speed isn't my idea of fun.

especially at gainsville....hell, I went through the traps at 160+ on seven cylinders, missed the second exit and took forever to get to the end of the track...that sucker is loooong

I bet If I never hit the brakes it wouldn't have coasted to the end

Now I know Gainsville is an exception....some tracks it could get nasty quick

Rickster

Re: NO BRAKES [Re: 72Challenger] #479387
09/26/09 08:53 AM
09/26/09 08:53 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
I have lost my brakes once... lucky it was 1/8 racing.
I was doing 120, hit the pedal and thought it was
strange the pedal went so far down... hit it again and
it went to the floor... fortunately I could zig zag
to scrub off speed, down shift to second and at the
last turn off I was doing about 30 and spun it out on
the turn off. I have a chute BUT being 1/8 mile
I didnt pull the safety pin.... now I never put the
pin back in

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5