IA
L
landon1 Offline
mopar
landon1  Offline
mopar
L

IA
let me chime in from the younger generation (i'm 22)- sure, i may be an oddball in my generation, but i dislike the rice cars mainly because every teenage boy that has a civic thinks they have a 10 second car - it's just ridiculous. i've worked with a couple guys who (admittedly) drove stock hondas and thought they'd run sub 10 second quarters.

i was actually looking at an evo a few years ago in addition to an srt-4 as a DD - didn't get either. i've had one jap, actually korean, car and it was a 1.5L 5 speed (not much of a car lol), and it was pretty quick off the line, but at about 40, it was done.

'71 Satellite Sebring 440
Re: Mitsubishi EVO against my AAR [Re: landon1] #467899
09/17/09 07:49 PM
09/17/09 07:49 PM
organ
M
maximum entropy Offline
master
maximum entropy  Offline
master
M

organ
Quote:

let me chime in from the younger generation (i'm 22)- sure, i may be an oddball in my generation, but i dislike the rice cars mainly because every teenage boy that has a civic thinks they have a 10 second car - it's just ridiculous. i've worked with a couple guys who (admittedly) drove stock hondas and thought they'd run sub 10 second quarters.

i was actually looking at an evo a few years ago in addition to an srt-4 as a DD - didn't get either. i've had one jap, actually korean, car and it was a 1.5L 5 speed (not much of a car lol), and it was pretty quick off the line, but at about 40, it was done.

it's always been like that- when i was younger i heard about a "nine second pinto" in town, and i got all excited. i wanted the guy- bad. well, i finally track the guy down, and it's got a 2.3 in it. i was very disappointed. everybody runs nines, and everybody always will. the times have changed, but the stories remain.

for what is the good life if not doing things thoughtfully?
Re: Mitsubishi EVO against my AAR [Re: maximum entropy] #467900
09/17/09 07:55 PM
09/17/09 07:55 PM
IA
L
landon1 Offline
mopar
landon1  Offline
mopar
L

IA
i think i read on here - maybe somewhere else a guy supposedly running 10s went to the track and ran a 12 something and didn't understand. when someone asked him why he was confused, he said the car must not be running right cuz he beats 11 second cars on the street all the time

idk i can't talk - never taken my car to the track, though i want to someday, but with my mild 440/727 and highway gears it's surprisingly quick - i'd like to get a 3.73 or so and see what happens.

'71 Satellite Sebring 440
Re: Mitsubishi EVO against my AAR [Re: landon1] #467901
09/18/09 01:44 AM
09/18/09 01:44 AM
MORENO VALLEY,SO CAL
KIDINTHEYARD Offline
KIDINTHEYARD  Offline

MORENO VALLEY,SO CAL
yea i use to have a 1st gen eclipse that thing was so fun and cheap to mod ran 13s with very little bolt ons but there trannys suck i blew mine up and got stuck in 3rd gear and i wasnt close to home it was a bad day to be my clutch
i have some friends that have some 10sec daily driven evos also on of then is a big time sleeper

Re: Mitsubishi EVO against my AAR [Re: KIDINTHEYARD] #467902
09/18/09 03:09 AM
09/18/09 03:09 AM
Texas Afghanistan Iraq etc.
D
DakFink Offline
mopar
DakFink  Offline
mopar
D

Funny you threw a Duster pic in the convsrsation. That was one of the Original Sport Compacts.

I had a Feather Duster, the guy I bought it from told me the story of the Duster-Falcon-Nova Sport Compact Race series.

Re: Mitsubishi EVO against my AAR [Re: 11secaarcuda] #467903
09/18/09 03:23 AM
09/18/09 03:23 AM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
What 1/4 mile time does your AAR cuda run? Just curious because it's harder to put down that kind of power on the street on crappy asphalt with a torqey rwd than a awd car that's softer on the bottom end. You could easily spin hard on the launch and he could have hooked hard and put a length on you right at launch. Once you hooked I'm sure you'd have reeled him in but in his mind he'd have already won. That and I'm sure you're not gonna be lifting any tires on the street. Surface streets are just not that great for traction: dust, dirt, asphalt hurt a rwd more than a awd. But then even if you did a horrid launch there's every possibility the guy can't drive his own car for crap and you'd smoke him anyway.

Re: Mitsubishi EVO against my AAR [Re: GTX MATT] #467904
09/18/09 03:26 AM
09/18/09 03:26 AM
D
DakFink Offline
mopar
DakFink  Offline
mopar
D

Quote:

The cars are quick, theres no doubt about it. You can call me closed minded all you want but I have a buddy with a 300ZX Twin Turbo, and another with a Mitsubishi Mirage with a 4G63 out of an Eclipse GST running upwards of 20 pounds of boost. I drove it, it was fast (had nothing under 4000 rpm though), but im not into it. There is still no replacement for displacement. At the end of the day if you want to match the boost of any smaller engine running boost, you will make more power.

As far as the EVOs and STis go, they are very over rated due to the 0-60 times and ETs that they run because of their AWD. If you race one from a stop then that matters, but in my area most racing is done from a roll. My friends ZX TT has absolutely waxed every STi thats ever challenged it from a roll and its pretty stock. He only raced one EVO and by 90 he had put enough distance between them that the EVO gave up.

Also, have you ever calculated the first gear ratio in one of those things? They arent surprisingly quick because they are so much lighter than our cars (theyre not) or because there is some black magic to the engines. They are geared extremely quick. First overall is over 13:1 and even second is like 9:1. With that kind of gearing it better move.

I know my competition, and I know how much money these guys dump in their cars. One guy I know of is 60000 into his car to put down almost 500 at the wheels. Even a used high mileage EVO costs 15 K + and thats a good deal. At the point at which I'm 15000 into my car it will be in the 11s with a FRESH engine, not a 100000 mile engine that some kid has beaten the crap out of before me which has had two atomospheres of pressure inside the combustion chamber everytime the pedal was mashed.

I just read a forum post by David Buschur (the builder of the Talon and EVO that pics were posted in this Thread)

He said he is so heart broken over the Money Spent and the Mis-Mathced combos that come in his door every day. If people knew what they were doing or consult someone that does it would save them alot of money and get a better product in the end.

If that guy spent $60k on a car and only making 500hp. He is doing something very wrong.

Last time I checked, they wouldn't let you do a rolling start at the track. That rolling start crap on the street is BS, Been there done that. Its just giving the guy that hasn't invested in his suspension/traction or a mis-matched combo 1/2 a chance.

Re: Mitsubishi EVO against my AAR [Re: landon1] #467905
09/18/09 03:28 AM
09/18/09 03:28 AM
Worst Weather USA
493_DART Offline
master
493_DART  Offline
master

Worst Weather USA
Quote:

tell them theres a guy in Des moines with a "high 11's" dart that will race them for $1000 a pop ... Ill even bring it up there -

we used to street race on a nice open strip up there, right off Oralabor Rd-i think E 29th? on the very southeast edge of town . Im sure its all developed up there by now

If you want to run your car at Eddyville before this season is over -- send me a PM - i race there all the time.

Re: Mitsubishi EVO against my AAR [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #467906
09/18/09 03:31 AM
09/18/09 03:31 AM
Worst Weather USA
493_DART Offline
master
493_DART  Offline
master

Worst Weather USA
Quote:

What 1/4 mile time does your AAR cuda run? Just curious because it's harder to put down that kind of power on the street on crappy asphalt with a torqey rwd than a awd car that's softer on the bottom end. You could easily spin hard on the launch and he could have hooked hard and put a length on you right at launch. Once you hooked I'm sure you'd have reeled him in but in his mind he'd have already won. That and I'm sure you're not gonna be lifting any tires on the street. Surface streets are just not that great for traction: dust, dirt, asphalt hurt a rwd more than a awd. But then even if you did a horrid launch there's every possibility the guy can't drive his own car for crap and you'd smoke him anyway.

This is exactly why we would carry jugs of VHT when we street raced (back in the day) .We would also show up with slicks.
The other guys would get so mad.... we would tell them "you should come out to street race prepared! "

Re: Mitsubishi EVO against my AAR [Re: DakFink] #467907
09/18/09 03:51 AM
09/18/09 03:51 AM
wine valley
C
cudaben1968 Offline
enthusiast
cudaben1968  Offline
enthusiast
C

wine valley
God how I love to lol

69b3gt- look here, goldmember- first said I need to bring cash to race him... So with your whole drive across the country b.s. stuff why not pick on him for saying the same thing?

Gtx Matt- really? do you honestly think pure stock drags are pure stock? for instance a '68 hemi cuda could bust out of the box clicking off 10's as delivered??? Doubtful, do some research. None of these cars ran as good as we get them to do now. The website you provided is nice, but have you ever been to a scca race? showroom stock? Not even close to a stock car, it's all about being the best cheater!!!

Goldmember- ahhh, ignorance is bliss.
my little primered honda will run 13's all day everyday. Does not matter if it's 110 degrees outside or 55. It's cosistant with shift points at 9k. No it isn't the worlds fastest car, I never said it was. All I was saying is be careful or you might get surprised but some jap C***. I have a race car too, and yes it will stomp most any ricer, but I sure wouldn't want to drive it daily with no heater, no wipers, no a/c, no abs,no pdb, no power windows, no interior and almost no exhaust. It's not a regualaly street driven car, but it can go on the street. With its whopping 6mpg i'd be stupid to claim it was a driver.

k5cuda- I'm so sorry I am from the age of txtng (texting) where i use short hand. Mayb u can relax, i'm just happy u can even use a computer!

Dartcuda- If you don't like it, nobody is forcing you to read it, STOP at anytime and go read the newbie forums.

My friend has a 1992 honda civic hatchback with a internally STOCK 2.2 ltr n/a motor on slicks the car runs high 11's and breaks nothing. It's all about hp 2 wt... 220 horse with 1800 lb car including driver.

I used to hate hondas and all rice burners until his car, he took me for a ride. I'm sorry but 11's is fast and yes he beats ur fancy z06's and 1000 cc street bikes on the street. nobody quite knows what to do when their butt was just handed to them by a honda. As far as times go he is about maxed out for a n/a car that is STOCK internals, no head mods, no special cams, no fancy valve jobs, no thin head gaskets, no high comp. pistons, its stock from honda. He runs a ram air setup to the intake manifold from the pass headlight bucket.
But hey I'm just a kid who likes hondas...
It's no wonder we get them and stick to them. Then put it to muscle car guys, why would I want to be part of a group of old men who only talk bad about new cars (things they dont understand). Future plans for my b'cuda do include fuel injection, wideband o2's and all that "black magic" most of which will probably be japanese or chinese made so i guess im really just a ricer at heart

Half measures availed us nothing. We stood at the turning point. -Alcoholics Anonymous, The Big Book
Re: Mitsubishi EVO against my AAR [Re: cudaben1968] #467908
09/18/09 04:09 AM
09/18/09 04:09 AM
Worst Weather USA
493_DART Offline
master
493_DART  Offline
master

Worst Weather USA
cudaben -

Please sell your cuda , or whatever "racecar" you have , and buy a honda/toyota whatever and join up at honda.com / ricer.com .

I think you got way too much Soy sauce in your blood son !

Re: Mitsubishi EVO against my AAR [Re: 493_DART] #467909
09/18/09 06:27 AM
09/18/09 06:27 AM
Q
quick77rt Offline
Parts Problem
quick77rt  Offline
Parts Problem
Q

Re: Mitsubishi EVO against my AAR [Re: quick77rt ] #467910
09/18/09 07:37 AM
09/18/09 07:37 AM
Answering the call of the wild
T
ThermoQuad Offline
top fuel
ThermoQuad  Offline
top fuel
T

Answering the call of the wild
In june 09 when I ran my [real] AAR at Watkins Glen at the 2 day Phoenix CMR driving school there was a Mitsubishi in my run group. While it was faster in the turns because it's not a big fat E body [Well my car is not that fat-3450 lbs with driver.]he could not get me off his rear bumper. By the middle of the straightaways
I would be running him over or if we switched positions I would easily run away. Good handling american muscle car with real horsepower eats rice all day long.

Bring on the rice rockets as I need to feed my predator some cholesterol free food. And then for dessert some Daytona flavored watermelon. I am not afraid

Re: Mitsubishi EVO against my AAR [Re: cudaben1968] #467911
09/18/09 10:12 AM
09/18/09 10:12 AM
Virginia Beach, VA
O
Old School Offline
super stock
Old School  Offline
super stock
O

Virginia Beach, VA
so i guess im really just a ricer at heart

thats what it sounds like

68 cuda formula S 588" bb 5sp
70 CUDA CONVERT 500" 5SP (SUBLIME)
70 CUDA CONVERT 500" 5SP (PLUMCRAZY):TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!
Re: Mitsubishi EVO against my AAR [Re: Old School] #467912
09/18/09 10:17 AM
09/18/09 10:17 AM
Houston, Texas
TheOtherDodge Offline
master
TheOtherDodge  Offline
master

Houston, Texas
"I'm sorry but 11's is fast and yes he beats ur fancy z06's "

But at the end of the day he has a piece of junk that happens to weigh next to nothing while the other has the z06. And z06's are in the 11's off the show room floor.

Re: Mitsubishi EVO against my AAR [Re: TheOtherDodge] #467913
09/18/09 10:33 AM
09/18/09 10:33 AM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Quote:

my little primered honda will run 13's all day everyday. Does not matter if it's 110 degrees outside or 55. It's cosistant with shift points at 9k. No it isn't the worlds fastest car, I never said it was. All I was saying is be careful or you might get surprised but some jap C***. I have a race car too, and yes it will stomp most any ricer, but I sure wouldn't want to drive it daily with no heater, no wipers, no a/c, no abs,no pdb, no power windows, no interior and almost no exhaust. It's not a regualaly street driven car, but it can go on the street. With its whopping 6mpg i'd be stupid to claim it was a driver.

Up front I'll say that your post was pretty even keel and level headed/realistic, no disrespect or anything intended.... However, while reading the above I couldn't help but think to myself "What's the fun/challenge in putting a pumped up chainsaw engine in a hollowed out coffe can?" I mean seriously it's barely what most people would even deem as a real car with everything you mentioned removed, I've owned Go-karts with more amminities, and IMO more style points than a gutted primered Civic as well..

Re: Mitsubishi EVO against my AAR [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #467914
09/18/09 10:36 AM
09/18/09 10:36 AM
Houston, Texas
TheOtherDodge Offline
master
TheOtherDodge  Offline
master

Houston, Texas
"I have a race car too, and yes it will stomp most any ricer, but I sure wouldn't want to drive it daily with no heater, no wipers, no a/c, no abs,no pdb, no power windows, no interior and almost no exhaust."

Ya, that would not be fun...

That's why I have a vehicle with AC, PB, PS, CD, nice bucket seats, quiet, etc and runs low 11's all day... (hopefully some 10.9's soon!)

Re: Mitsubishi EVO against my AAR [Re: cudaben1968] #467915
09/18/09 01:06 PM
09/18/09 01:06 PM
Gainesville,FL
G
goldmember Offline
master
goldmember  Offline
master
G

Gainesville,FL
Quote:

God how I love to lol

69b3gt- look here, goldmember- first said I need to bring cash to race him... So with your whole drive across the country b.s. stuff why not pick on him for saying the same thing
my little primered honda will run 13's all day everyday. Does not matter if it's 110 degrees outside or 55. It's cosistant with shift points at 9k. No it isn't the worlds fastest car, I never said it was. All I was saying is be careful or you might get surprised but some jap C***. I have a race car too, and yes it will stomp most any ricer, but I sure wouldn't want to drive it daily with no heater, no wipers, no a/c, no abs,no pdb, no power windows, no interior and almost no exhaust. It's not a regualaly street driven car, but it can go on the street.

Sorry,you missed the I installed in the challenge to kill your pile of crap. It's a joke!! Get it!! I don't pick on the local Honda pilots and even have buddies with turbo charged/stippers that run pretty well,when they actually aren't broken! Don't bring up what others have for fast cars as it's not important and is useless,YADDAYADDA. I have friends that race 7 second rides on the street for large $$$$,but I'm not the type to claim it has any bearing on my rides or habits. Your really wasting time here. Good luck with your very fast car and your dreams.

Re: Mitsubishi EVO against my AAR [Re: 10secGTX] #467916
09/19/09 04:58 AM
09/19/09 04:58 AM
D
DakFink Offline
mopar
DakFink  Offline
mopar
D

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If you run 11's and he was just stock with exhaust, you would have smoked him..BUT..there are many fast DSM's and EVO's out there..

7.70's in the 1/4

9's on race gas and low 10's on pump gas

I always wanted to build on of those Eagle Talon AWD cars.

I remember when the Talon was going 9's he would drive it to Norwalk that thing would squat so hard on launch....you had to see it ...that car is bad ass

A little History on that Talon: That is owned and raced by John Sheppard. He originally bought it as an abandoned project from David Buschur. He was running 10's then 9's and even dipping in the 8's for about 2-3 years in full street trim.(A/C and Heater included) He would even drive it to his day-job 2-3 times a week. In the beginning he was tearing through engines and transmissions like a bad-habit. He got back with David Buschur and has not torn up another engine since. 3-4 years now. As for the transmissions he had to fix that problem on his own. He has created a transmission company based around the beefing up of the trans used in those cars. He is running in the 7's now with a Manual(5-speed) AWD.

Rice or Muscle. I can appreciate and respect them both. Any car/truck in the right hands can be a performer.

Have to cut the kids some slack. Yeah they like Hondas. That is probably all they or their parents can afford. When your under 25yrs old the cost of ownership of a car of any sort is expensive enough. Much less adding the modifying. With the price of things today I would hate to be under 25 and own a MuscleCar, the fuel and maintenance alone would be killer.

I own and modify Rice and Muscle and can see from both sides of the street.

Most Ricers i know aspire to one day have that Muscle Car of their own. BUT they also look at reality and know they have to start somewhere.

Re: Mitsubishi EVO against my AAR [Re: goldmember] #467917
09/19/09 05:54 AM
09/19/09 05:54 AM
Worst Weather USA
493_DART Offline
master
493_DART  Offline
master

Worst Weather USA
"Have to cut the kids some slack. Yeah they like Hondas. That is probably all they or their parents can afford. When your under 25yrs old the cost of ownership of a car of any sort is expensive enough. Much less adding the modifying. "

you gotta be F kiddin !!!

I BOUGHT my own car when I was that age . I MOWED LAWNS and washed freakin dishes and De-Tassled corn for HOURS in 98 degree heat to earn money to buy my car when i was 16 .

If their parents are BUYING these kids these Rice boxes -- i have 100% LESS respect for them now !

I remember the pleasure i had when my road runner spanked all the cars in high school , ESPECIALLY the rich kids who's mommy bought the car for them

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6