09/16/09 09:12 PM
09/16/09 09:12 PM
Newport, Mi
Evil Spirit Offline
master
Evil Spirit  Offline
master

Newport, Mi
Before we re-invent the wheel, can I point out the obvious? Many of the problems at the track could have been caught with a thorough tech inspection. Broken stock axles in classes that require aftermarket. Lost wheels from missing lugs/studs. Fires from too much rubber line. Accidents in pits from missing neutral switches. At almost every track antifreeze is a no/no, but they never check for it in tech, then the track complains about it when it gets dumped on the racetrack. At this point I can't see why we need more rules to not get enforced, and tracks sure aren't going to spend money when it's the racers fault that their cars got damaged.

Free advice and worth every penny...
Factory trained Slinky rewinder.........
Re: drag racing: obvious safety gaps [Re: Evil Spirit] #467650
09/18/09 12:04 AM
09/18/09 12:04 AM
New Mexico
S
Scott440 Offline OP
mopar
Scott440  Offline OP
mopar
S

New Mexico
for the studebaker, a simple tray like this is all i had in mind:

http://www.divergent.org/mikes.vws/images/R32/skidplate/plate_on_4.JPG

if the track merely recommended a tray and the stude turned it down, then yep, his bad luck. BUT i would feel bad if someone turned down a tray and took out the guy in the next lane who put the time/$$ into his racecar.

i guess fontana has concrete walls because the sandy desert is not there to "decelerate" you like lacr or willow springs.

i read all your comments and you make a good arguments (even mentioning gaps that wouldn't cost anything to change, eg. procedures). Thanks.

In retrospect, the thread title is too "authoritative" and I didn't mean it that way.

Re: drag racing: obvious safety gaps [Re: nhramark] #467651
09/18/09 12:48 AM
09/18/09 12:48 AM
Missouri
68KillerBee Offline
master
68KillerBee  Offline
master

Missouri
Like someone else said, I think they have safety stuff as good as they can right now.
I've never raced, so maybe I'm off, but everyone knows that there is a chance they can wreck their car, opponents car, or even die doing this. But people are still going to do it because it's exciting. Just like sky diving, I'm guessing you think people should do that and land in a field of cotton and wear pillows .
But I've never raced on a track, so maybe I'm "off".

Re: drag racing: obvious safety gaps [Re: 68KillerBee] #467652
09/18/09 10:29 AM
09/18/09 10:29 AM
SW Ohio
C
cgall Offline
top fuel
cgall  Offline
top fuel
C

SW Ohio
The Studebaker crashed because an oil line for the turbocharger came loose. A diaper or bellypan may or may not have prevented the crash, depending on the location of the pump/filter. So the safety gap was an oversite in assembly or maintenance, very difficult to police.

There are no diapers for the radiator, master cylinder, or differential, any of which could leak on the track if an oversight in maintenance occurred.

Many Comp eliminator cars are being built with bellypans instead of diapers now. The pans are effective on a car that has a dry-sump oil pan and upswept headers. Most Mopars have a deep wet-sump oil pan and chassis headers, making a bellypan unworkable. It is difficult enough to fit an engine diaper on one with a stock K-member and draglink.

One of our local tracks decided to mandate diapers on all cars 9.99 and faster. The car count in Super Pro dropped dramatically. Of the 50 or so cars they get on Saturday nights, about 40 of them are dragsters.

Re: drag racing: obvious safety gaps [Re: 68KillerBee] #467653
09/18/09 11:37 PM
09/18/09 11:37 PM
New Mexico
S
Scott440 Offline OP
mopar
Scott440  Offline OP
mopar
S

New Mexico
Quote:

, I'm guessing you think people should do that and land in a field of cotton and wear pillows

of course not, that's absurd. but there is something called a secondary/reserve chute. it's not mandatory so no one is forced to spend the extra $$$, but some people who opted out have obviously died as a result.

Re: drag racing: obvious safety gaps [Re: nhramark] #467654
09/19/09 01:12 AM
09/19/09 01:12 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Quote:

Downtrack safety crew, EMT, track manager, SOMEBODY should have full control of when next pair of cars go down the track. The starter should have NO authority to send cars down unless the downtrack person has given the "all clear." I have seen several times when a broken car was still on the track with the next pair coming right at them. No excuse for this at ANY level of racing EVER.

I raced at Edgewater in Cincy ONE time. I went in the tower and ripped the "management" a new one over sending cars down while other cars were still on the top end.

There were lots of ricer types there that day I for one didn't want one coming at their full 80 MPH capablity if I had a problem. I did see a broken down car at the top end get a set of cars sent at him before he even got out of the car, sitting right along the side of the groove.

I held up a TNT run to let cars clear and the starter about lost his mind- he even sent the other car on down the track while I was pointing at the top end where cars still were going.

When I told the management how damn stupid it was to be sending the cars on down like they were they couldn't have cared less.

Wonder why I never went back there

I want my fair share
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3