@#$%&*! Offline
New user name, Same old jerk!
@#$%&*!  Offline
New user name, Same old jerk!
@

Thigh-Gap Junction
Quote:

1-bigger, softer barricades ...

Hard impacts are rare when you're travelling parallel to the wall.

2-soft center divider along the entire strip so a crazy car doesn't take out his competitor

crossing the center line is common and usually the only casualty is a foam block or two. Two vehicle accidents are very rare.

(-- even a 48" high wall sitting in a 12" deep trough could delay the cross over a second or two.

How are the Jr. Dragsters going to see each other? How would other pipe-rack divers judge the finish line?

3-fluid catch pan/tray under the engine.

Diapers are being phased in, have been for a while.

4-if a car has a parachute and is not reasonably close to the center of his lane, or tire pressure drops way low, or a fire occurs, there should be an electronic auto-deploy of the parachute.

Yeah, I want someone pulling the chute on me when I still have a chance to win, flames or not. You're allowed to use the whole lane, if necessary.

Go back to running for president, Ralph (Nader)

Re: drag racing: obvious safety gaps [Re: Scott440] #467630
09/14/09 08:11 PM
09/14/09 08:11 PM
Carstairs, Alberta, Canada
dave571 Offline
master
dave571  Offline
master

Carstairs, Alberta, Canada
Quote:

have an e body pink slip to bet?

I don't see where you've raced anything, in this answer.

Is this a yes or a no?

As for safety gaps, the NHRA rules have evolved over time. They have evolved with the cars and the sport. Are they perfect? Of course not. Neither is any other motor sport.

Re: drag racing: obvious safety gaps [Re: dave571] #467631
09/14/09 08:26 PM
09/14/09 08:26 PM
Kissimmee Fl.
D
dusturbd340W5 Offline
master
dusturbd340W5  Offline
master
D

Kissimmee Fl.
Well I am sure I will get flamed for this but I fell they try and push to much safety down my throat now I don't think I could stand any more of it.

70 duster full chassis super pro 416 CNC Indybrock heads 727 w/brake

best so far 1.212 60 6.219 in 1/8 at 110.88 9.768 at 137.81 1/4
Re: drag racing: obvious safety gaps [Re: dusturbd340W5] #467632
09/15/09 07:01 AM
09/15/09 07:01 AM
Ohio
L
Lil Wedge Offline
enthusiast
Lil Wedge  Offline
enthusiast
L

Ohio
If you really want safety, Why don't we just go electric cars, put a big slot down both lanes. And if that isn't enough, just go remote control and stand on the starting line.Boy now that would be exciting!

Re: drag racing: obvious safety gaps [Re: TS3303] #467633
09/15/09 07:22 AM
09/15/09 07:22 AM
Walton's Mountain, Pa
Steve1118 Offline
master
Steve1118  Offline
master

Walton's Mountain, Pa
"had to check to see if I was on Nitromater"

You are so right!! Those wannabes are clueless over there.

"Old age and treachery trumps youth and enthusiasm, every time!"

East Central Director / Chrysler Power Magazine

www.reasbeckracing.webs.com
Re: drag racing: obvious safety gaps [Re: Steve1118] #467634
09/15/09 09:22 AM
09/15/09 09:22 AM
SW Ohio
C
cgall Offline
top fuel
cgall  Offline
top fuel
C

SW Ohio
This topic covers exactly what WJ has been talking about in his rant at NHRA. They have mandated big $$$ modifications to the top end of the national event tracks to appease the nitro racers, while the issues of water seepage continue to plague certain tracks.

None of that fancy aircraft catch net, automatic ignition and fuel shutoff, parachute deployment, or as has been suggested here, SAFER walls, are necessary for the Pro Stock or Sportsman racers.

If they had slowed down those cars 5 years ago like Big Daddy and many others have suggested (one magneto and one fuel pump), the racing would be just as good on a quarter mile running 5.0's.

Re: drag racing: obvious safety gaps [Re: cgall] #467635
09/15/09 01:19 PM
09/15/09 01:19 PM
NC
DCM71cuda Offline
pro stock
DCM71cuda  Offline
pro stock

NC
Troughs of water on either side of the lanes....I think I'll pass on that idea.

Safer barriers??? They are not designed for low angle impacts, which typically occur on a drag strip. Also, the SAFER system is specifically made for the size/weight of the car on the track. Tracks that host IRL and NASCAR events modify the barrier for each race. The challenge of a having a system that could 'work' for a 200 mph ProMod, a 300 mph Funny Car, and a 120 mph Super Stocker would be pretty difficult.

It is nice to protect the racers, but a big function of having concrete walls is to protect spectators. Concrete walls are the best option to contain the car to the racing surface.

You want a small pit or divider down the center of the track??? I can think of nothing better to instigate a rollover.....anybody ever go to Warner Robins, GA where they used to have a grass median??

You want a catch/barrier system of sawdust and haybales??? In a sport where one of the KNOWN risks is an out of control car on fire??? I think I'll pass on that one also.

Re: drag racing: obvious safety gaps [Re: Challenger 1] #467636
09/15/09 11:27 PM
09/15/09 11:27 PM
New Mexico
S
Scott440 Offline OP
mopar
Scott440  Offline OP
mopar
S

New Mexico
i drag raced at lacr and once at fontana. my current car is strictly for road racing. i'd love to road race against your rail for it's pink slip can you trailer it 1,100 miles.

...too much attitude here given the lack of background.

i saw someone nearly lose his belvedere at fontana last year and take out another car last year...that made me think i need to add a tray (center divider to keep cars apart is not applicable, but makes sense). his oil leak was at the filter and put it on the left rear slick...he lost control, bounced off the wall and came just inches within his competitor. i really *hate* the concrete barriers at fontana. i will never again offer a suggestion -- i didn't realize how offensive it was.

Re: drag racing: obvious safety gaps [Re: Scott440] #467637
09/15/09 11:37 PM
09/15/09 11:37 PM
New Mexico
S
Scott440 Offline OP
mopar
Scott440  Offline OP
mopar
S

New Mexico

Re: drag racing: obvious safety gaps [Re: Scott440] #467638
09/15/09 11:48 PM
09/15/09 11:48 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Not offensive, just a lack of reality. Belly pans and diapers exist and are in use. You want one, build it and put it on your car. Auto chute release in use on fuel cars. A center divider with a water trough? I don't know what to say about that, be a little tough to fender race somebody in the lights. Hay bales? What would that look like after someone hit them at 200+? No concrete walls? Have you ever seen a car torn to pieces because it got up on an old fashioned guardrail and started to roll? Do some more research, spend some time at the track and try again.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: drag racing: obvious safety gaps [Re: CMcAllister] #467639
09/16/09 12:18 AM
09/16/09 12:18 AM
New Mexico
S
Scott440 Offline OP
mopar
Scott440  Offline OP
mopar
S

New Mexico
Quote:

Not offensive, just a lack of reality. Belly pans and diapers exist and are in use. You want one, build it and put it on your car. Auto chute release in use on fuel cars. A center divider with a water trough? I don't know what to say about that, be a little tough to fender race somebody in the lights. Hay bales? What would that look like after someone hit them at 200+? No concrete walls? Have you ever seen a car torn to pieces because it got up on an old fashioned guardrail and started to roll? Do some more research, spend some time at the track and try again.

so for the driver in the accident (see link)... what do you think could have been done to make the mechanical failure a minor incident only.

Re: drag racing: obvious safety gaps [Re: Scott440] #467640
09/16/09 12:25 AM
09/16/09 12:25 AM
Riverside, Ca
G
G_bob Offline
master
G_bob  Offline
master
G

Riverside, Ca
Quote:

Quote:

so for the driver in the accident (see link)... what do you think could have been done to make the mechanical failure a minor incident only.

Would probably have to see video of the whole thing to make a determination of that. He wasn't on a track with concrete barriers, but rather old style posts and rails. He's on the grass side of the rail, so somehow he went over. Maybe front end, or a tire caught one of the posts and sent him flipping whereas he could have slide along a concrete barrier.

As said, hard to say without seeing the whole thing.

Maybe a diaper (did he have one?) would have kept water/oil off the tires.

Re: drag racing: obvious safety gaps [Re: G_bob] #467641
09/16/09 12:33 AM
09/16/09 12:33 AM
New Mexico
S
Scott440 Offline OP
mopar
Scott440  Offline OP
mopar
S

New Mexico
i agree concrete wall wasn't an issue on that one...but his car was mangled (i think he hit the scoreboard).

i really am open to your ideas and whatever the 'perfect wall' is -- maybe could be used in nascar.

my understanding is the forum is for all forms of racing. if i'm wrong, just tell me.

Re: drag racing: obvious safety gaps [Re: Scott440] #467642
09/16/09 07:56 AM
09/16/09 07:56 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
quote]i drag raced at lacr and once at fontana. my current car is strictly for road racing. i'd love to road race against your rail for it's pink slip can you trailer it 1,100 miles.

I've towed over 100K miles all over the country in the last 19 years. I've raced everything from a low 9 sec drag bike to a 5.49 ET TAD. 1100 miles is nothing.

NHRA has been studying safety for 50+ years, I beleive it's as safe as it can be right now without slowing down the cars. What fun would that be?
I think your ideas are way out there and not realistic.

In 2003 I hit the wall head on at 240 MPH and got out of the car on my own with no injurys, Thank God and the NHRA. Part of the reason I crashed was because of water coming up through the track and dips in the pavement, same day 5 other cars crashed in the same lane including Jason Line in Greg Andersons pro stock car. Been there, done it! It was my choice to go down the track that morning. NHRA closed that track early that year and repaved it.

Just got back from a 5000 mile road trip a month ago, I was in Kings Beach,Truckee Ca,Reno, Vegas, Colarodo Springs, Grand Canyon. I would have raced you in my street car just for fun.

Bonneville Salt flats

Red car is mine.

Re: drag racing: obvious safety gaps [Re: Scott440] #467643
09/16/09 10:19 AM
09/16/09 10:19 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
And I might add, using water anywhere near the track for safety really doesn't work IMO. Ever seen a 150 mph hydro skip multiple times and then dig into the water when out of control. Not pretty. And hitting water at high speed is a lot like concrete. Additionally it would likely spray the track in the other lane ruining his day. And 6" of water can drown someone. Imagine 6" of water being scooped up at hign speed by an upside down car with its windshield blown out. AT Mororos years ago on the road race course a sport car flipped upside down and slid thru the wet mud off course. The drivers compartment filled up with mud and he died before they could remove the mud and extract him.

The safest track likely would be 2 high concrete walls teflon lined only inches wider then the car and totally counterproductive to typical racing

Everyone now gets to choose how much safety they desire, or don't race.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: drag racing: obvious safety gaps [Re: jcc] #467644
09/16/09 04:39 PM
09/16/09 04:39 PM
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline
I Live Here

W. Kentucky
Most of the safty gaps I've seen at the race track were between the racers ears.

Re: drag racing: obvious safety gaps [Re: justinp61] #467645
09/16/09 05:20 PM
09/16/09 05:20 PM
New Mexico
A
Adobedude Offline
pro stock
Adobedude  Offline
pro stock
A

New Mexico
Quote:

Most of the safty gaps I've seen at the race track were between the racers ears.

2001 Dodge Dakota
408 All Motor
11.27 @ 117.83 mph
2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion.
Re: drag racing: obvious safety gaps [Re: Scott440] #467646
09/16/09 07:38 PM
09/16/09 07:38 PM
NC
DCM71cuda Offline
pro stock
DCM71cuda  Offline
pro stock

NC
Quote:

...too much attitude here given the lack of background.

I think my background in this area is well substantiated.

Water will not be used unless contained in a barrel.

Your Studebaker crash: The best way to prevent that crash is to prevent the mechanical failure. From the pictures shown, you can't tell much other than most of the rolling done by the car was on the grass and not the track. You can see the car was not on the guardrail anywhere near where it came to rest.

Re: drag racing: obvious safety gaps [Re: Scott440] #467647
09/16/09 08:34 PM
09/16/09 08:34 PM
acworth / N. georgia - south e...
cheapstreetdustr Offline
master
cheapstreetdustr  Offline
master

acworth / N. georgia - south e...
Quote:

prior to the 60s, seatbelts and helmets were sometimes missing from motorsports. now, it seems like an obvious safety gap...to even THINK otherwise is insane. we get a chuckle out of seeing leather racing helmets in old photos.

well, after seeing a few drag wrecks, i gotta say there are still some obvious things missing:

1-bigger, softer barricades ... hay bails burn rapidly , water filled drums hose down the track ... with or without a guard rail. just get rid of those concrete walls!nope keep car pointed down track to deflect blow. how about 4 rows of water drums on each side of the track, spaced. and space them a few feet apart to give the car more gradual deceleration.did someone mention all the issues water will create? and make the drum easy to split open -- water or fire slurry couldn't hurt a car on fire. yea but a simple little outa groove excursion and track is down for hrs drying/cleanup.

2-soft center divider along the entire strip so a crazy car doesn't take out his competitor (especially when the competitor is slightly behind). so it obstructs visibility for the fans -- even a 48" high wall sitting in a 12" deep trough could delay the cross over a second or two. shame on you sanctioning bodies -- if you've left this out for fan visibility, you've been getting away with murder. "what"

3-fluid catch pan/tray under the engine. how many times has something broke loose, spewing lubricant or coolant conveniently ahead of the rear tires. it could help with aerodynamics (smoother airflow under the car) and eliminate costly downtime (ridding the track of fluids).
yea and be a huge source of fuel for a fire

4-if a car has a parachute and is not reasonably close to the center of his lane, or tire pressure drops way low, or a fire occurs, there should be an electronic auto-deploy of the parachute. i'm sure with today's technology, the signal to deploy could be sent remotely by track equipment. OK, this concept is a bit elaborate, but definitely worthy of some trials. until i get the garage door opener code and deploy your shoot mid track in the other lane...oooops.....sorry dude.

while you're at it, apply these concepts to other forms of auto racing.

items 1-3 may be present at *some* strips today, but if drag racing is around in 2050, they will be universal, and people will laugh at 2010 safety standards.

i got something that will fix all of this..just attach said race car to a track or rail like a monotrain...that would be the safest...NOT!
or better yet..lets just race in the vertual cars they trailer in..the ones the KIDDDIES wait all day in line for....that would be safe!!!!

365" Iron J heads,,3480lbs best 1.39 60ft on SS springs.10.54,124 mph ...6.67 1/8th et.average 60fts 1.46 w/ small cam &.063 no2 pill tagged & insured
[image][/image]
Re: drag racing: obvious safety gaps [Re: cheapstreetdustr] #467648
09/16/09 09:04 PM
09/16/09 09:04 PM
Wheels up, MO
N
nhramark Offline
master
nhramark  Offline
master
N

Wheels up, MO
When I saw this topic I had a few other ideas:

Pro Stock, Comp Eliminator, etc, DO NOT need a guy standing directly in front of the car during the burnout. Let that car get the least bit out of shape and you have a dead man. If you can pilot a 6 second car, you should be able to complete a burnout on your own.

Funny car crews should NEVER be allowed to reach their arms under the rear fenderwells to wipe the tires while that car is pulling up to the line. I don't want to see two guys lose both arms because of a throttle or clutch malfunction.

Downtrack safety crew, EMT, track manager, SOMEBODY should have full control of when next pair of cars go down the track. The starter should have NO authority to send cars down unless the downtrack person has given the "all clear." I have seen several times when a broken car was still on the track with the next pair coming right at them. No excuse for this at ANY level of racing EVER.

Also NHRA national events should allow maybe half the people at the starting line then they have now. Remember Doug Herberts starting line explosion? Scott Weis had one too a couple years ago. No way all those people are needed up there.

[image]http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/nhramark1/library/Racing[/image] 9.100 @ 150 mph 5.780 @ 120 mph
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3