Washington Twp., Southern NJ
F
Fastfrankie Offline OP
top fuel
Fastfrankie  Offline OP
top fuel
F

Washington Twp., Southern NJ
What is the best type? Dye injection/UV or those electronic battery operated leak detectors with the long felxible wand?

My buddy is an ASE master tech and both he and his other ASE master tech in his shop tell me the flexible wand type are garbage. He has a MAC flexible wand type and never uses it since it goes off and gives false alarms if you move it too fast etc. The other guy has a Robinair one and says that one is junk too.

He swears by the dye injection. Is that the same as the black light leak detectors?

I need to buy one and am just looking for suggestions. Thanks

Re: Best Freon Leak Finder? [Re: Fastfrankie] #449727
08/25/09 05:46 PM
08/25/09 05:46 PM
Niles , Ohio
T
therocks Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
therocks  Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
T

Niles , Ohio
I used both at work.The dye is easy to see most times.The sniffer one works good where you cant see like an evap case.The better sniffer ones have a hi low setting.That and most guys dont know how to use them properly.Rocky

Chrysler Firepower
Re: Best Freon Leak Finder? [Re: therocks] #449728
08/25/09 07:00 PM
08/25/09 07:00 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

I used both at work.The dye is easy to see most times.The sniffer one works good where you cant see like an evap case.The better sniffer ones have a hi low setting.That and most guys dont know how to use them properly.Rocky

I have both and they both have there place.
The sniffers have a senitivity setting that usaully set too high. Also the sniffer tips are replacable and are easily contamented and will give false readings. Don't ever stick it or touch it to refidgerant because it'll need to be replaced.

I also have the same sniffers we use in the LP gas business, same deal don't get gas on the end or the tip is shot.

Re: Best Freon Leak Finder? [Re: therocks] #449729
08/25/09 07:04 PM
08/25/09 07:04 PM
ST clair shores MI
M
moretoys Offline
top fuel
moretoys  Offline
top fuel
M

ST clair shores MI
dye is the way to go.especialy for small/slow leaks.sniffers usually won't detect those.They really work good when a leak is leaking out at that time.(eg) leak that you can hear but can't find.Small leak/one that might take a week or more.sniffer is useless.They do give off false alarms.need to triple check before trusting a sniffer.Using dye- there is no question.but an evap. leak might not show up right away.dye will come out the havc case drain.but sometime takes another charge or 2 to wash down the drain.I do have a wand type sniffer with a heated tip and different range settings.Was about $250.Just a dust collector.

Re: Best Freon Leak Finder? [Re: moretoys] #449730
08/25/09 07:33 PM
08/25/09 07:33 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

dye is the way to go.especialy for small/slow leaks.sniffers usually won't detect those.They really work good when a leak is leaking out at that time.(eg) leak that you can hear but can't find.Small leak/one that might take a week or more.sniffer is useless.They do give off false alarms.need to triple check before trusting a sniffer.Using dye- there is no question.but an evap. leak might not show up right away.dye will come out the havc case drain.but sometime takes another charge or 2 to wash down the drain.I do have a wand type sniffer with a heated tip and different range settings.Was about $250.Just a dust collector.

The dye injection and light is the way to go between the two if your trying to decide which to invest in. I bought a package deal a couple years ago from a local shop that was retiring, got a Matco/robinair 134 reclaimer/recyler,Matco dye injector/light and a 250 dollar detector from a guy for 675 bucks. Found it on Craigs List. The guy made a point of telling me how expensive the detector was.
About a month ago I had to replace the evaporator on 2000 F 450 truck. The dye never showed up but you could smell freon in the cab when I recharged the system with dye. Had a hole right in the middle of it.

Re: Best Freon Leak Finder? [Re: Fastfrankie] #449731
08/25/09 10:22 PM
08/25/09 10:22 PM
Pacific NW USA
CompSyn Offline
pro stock
CompSyn  Offline
pro stock

Pacific NW USA
I use an AC Powered H10G Leak Detector

Most of the time I don’t need it because soap bubbles do the trick.