08/24/09 10:22 AM
Arizona, USA
gsmopar Offline
super stock
gsmopar  Offline
super stock

Arizona, USA
Quote:

I now think "Pinks All Out" has proven that you can fill the stands WITHOUT TOP FUEL or FUNNY CAR..

Rich Christensen has exposed NHRA on this one..

He uses the grass roots racer to give everyone a great show. Ratings, I'm sure are higher than NHRA and the stands are full..

Like him or hate him, he has exposed a weakness in the NHRA Pro racers..

It may fade away, but for now, people are coming out in droves..

Best time I've ever had racing.

Chris..

+1 except I haven't got to compete... yet! I had a blast at the 2 PINKS All Out events I attended as a spectator.

Re: WJ's comments on NHRA...thoughts? [Re: Chris2581] #447749
ohio
prochamp Offline
enthusiast
prochamp  Offline
enthusiast

ohio
i think it is refreshing to hear people speak their mind on all the bs thats going on.way too much apathy going on,thats why this country is in the fix it is in.did anyone catch the fight that was on HBO the night before? the fighter that clearly won got screwed big time and totally went off on boxing being all bs.all wrongdoing should be thrown in the face of the ones pulling this crap.

Re: WJ's comments on NHRA...thoughts? [Re: prochamp] #447750
08/24/09 10:31 AM
08/24/09 10:31 AM
North of Detroit
HemiDart68 Offline
master
HemiDart68  Offline
master

North of Detroit
I think its cool that he had the balls to say something against the great and almighty NHRA. Him and Larry Morgan have been some of the only racers i have seen call NHRA out on stuff.

In God we trust, all others pay cash. www.lightnens.com (Home of the world's fastest Paint Job)
Re: WJ's comments on NHRA...thoughts? [Re: Chris2581] #447751
08/24/09 11:06 AM
08/24/09 11:06 AM
Niles , Ohio
T
therocks Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
therocks  Offline
T

Niles , Ohio
The Baders at Norwalk spend a ton of money.They are very fan oriented people.Ive seen the old man hammer employees because a fan had an issue.Its totally unacceptable to him to have a fan complain.NHRA dosent care about anything except $$$$$ period.National trails should have been pulled as a national event years ago its a dump.There are a few track that fuel cars should not be run at because they arent long enough.Speed is the thing.How would most feel if they told you hey you are running X in this class.Thats too fast slow down.But if you want to run fuel make sure the track is safe.Im suprised fuel cars havent sued them already.How can you set a record for 20 points in 1000 feet.In their NASCAR points system that could mean being in or out.Rocky

Chrysler Firepower
Re: WJ's comments on NHRA...thoughts? [Re: HemiDart68] #447752
08/24/09 11:09 AM
08/24/09 11:09 AM
Walton's Mountain, Pa
Steve1118 Offline
master
Steve1118  Offline
master

Walton's Mountain, Pa
Love him or hate him, you've got to respect him. You know exactly where you stand with WJ, he'll tell you no BS the way he feels. I wish more folks were like that.

He is spot on. NHRA only cares about the fuel guys, period. All the others are only there to feed Glendora money to support their program.

I really haven't watched NHRA racing in years....it is so far removed from the sport I've been involved with for forty plus years it is not even recognizable anymore.

I dropped my NHRA membership years ago....I only belong to IHRA now.

Nostalgia Super Stock racing is where it's at!!

"Old age and treachery trumps youth and enthusiasm, every time!"

East Central Director / Chrysler Power Magazine

www.reasbeckracing.webs.com
Re: WJ's comments on NHRA...thoughts? [Re: HemiDart68] #447753
08/24/09 11:34 AM
08/24/09 11:34 AM
Finally a HUSKER again
Moparnut426 Offline
I Live Here
Moparnut426  Offline
I Live Here

Finally a HUSKER again
I dont care for WJ, but he has a vilid point here. Im sure the water coming up was intermittent, and they should have held off racing for a bit.

Also I am SICK OF JFRA. If John farts its all over ESPN 2. I honestly cant stand JFR, and I know he is a legend in the sport, but stop following him every where with a camera crew. They dont follow Ron Caps like that, and hes got Ed The ACE for god sakes.

John should retire and just work for NHRA, oh wait he already is in the promoting dept..

Kasey

Re: WJ's comments on NHRA...thoughts? [Re: Moparnut426] #447754
08/24/09 11:58 AM
08/24/09 11:58 AM
Nelsonville , Ohio
D
Duster3105 Offline
mopar
Duster3105  Offline
mopar
D

Nelsonville , Ohio

John should retire and just work for NHRA, oh wait he already is in the promoting dept..

Re: WJ's comments on NHRA...thoughts? [Re: Steve1118] #447755
08/24/09 12:11 PM
08/24/09 12:11 PM
SoCal
J
jake4cars Offline
top fuel
jake4cars  Offline
top fuel
J

SoCal
Quote:

Love him or hate him, you've got to respect him. You know exactly where you stand with WJ, he'll tell you no BS the way he feels. I wish more folks were like that.

He is spot on. NHRA only cares about the fuel guys, period. All the others are only there to feed Glendora money to support their program.

I really haven't watched NHRA racing in years....it is so far removed from the sport I've been involved with for forty plus years it is not even recognizable anymore.

I dropped my NHRA membership years ago....I only belong to IHRA now.

Nostalgia Super Stock racing is where it's at!!

Nhra ceased to exist when they hired Dallas Gardner and dropped modified eliminator, oh jeez, I am showing my age again.

Joey

Re: WJ's comments on NHRA...thoughts? [Re: jake4cars] #447756
08/24/09 12:26 PM
08/24/09 12:26 PM
Niles , Ohio
T
therocks Offline
therocks  Offline
T

Niles , Ohio
Watch the races sometimes.Antron is their new posted boy.Ever time you watch they have him on 50 times.He was the biggest crier their was in PSM.Him and Angel.They cried about the lights then they cried about the Harleys.Im still waitin for Antron to have one good blow up in that dragster.As far as WJ I dont like him either but he does say what he thinks.Then you have Jeggy that wont say crap.Maybe he is worried that they might not give him his promo spots.Tony Stewart in NASCAR is another driver I like even though I dont follow it.He says what he thinks and dosent care if they like it or not.At least Ashley wasnt crying and whining on TV when she got DQd for being light.Good old Angel was bawling like a baby when she did and they even tried adding her helmet and stuff so she wasnt light.Like John said rules are rules she was light and thats it.Rocky

Chrysler Firepower
Re: WJ's comments on NHRA...thoughts? [Re: therocks] #447757
08/24/09 12:36 PM
08/24/09 12:36 PM
Finally a HUSKER again
Moparnut426 Offline
I Live Here
Moparnut426  Offline
I Live Here

Finally a HUSKER again
Yes she was light, but Im sure ESPN will be talking about it next time they race.

In Topeka this year, I heard some other racers complaining about the amount of air time they get. I had VIP tickets and was in the Capps tent. I wont name any names, but They said they need a pilots liscense due to the air time they get. Also complained how they win a round of racing, never get an interview, but when ashley, or any JFR driver fails to make another round they get the interview, and all the plug spots. It really has gotten pretty bad, and I hope NHRA see's it soon or they will only have JFR fans.

I would like to see Antron get a good POP, or a Blower backfire and POOF... He would probably cry, and his voice might get a little higher. Who knows I have never looked close at him, but he might have white racing gloves with rinestones on them...

KASEY

Re: WJ's comments on NHRA...thoughts? [Re: slantzilla] #447758
08/24/09 12:39 PM
08/24/09 12:39 PM
San Angelo Tx
A
Alan Warman Offline
Alan Warman  Offline
A

San Angelo Tx
Quote:

WJ has been complaining about the fuel cars for years. He used to complain all the time that the P/S cars couldn't get down the track because of the clutch dust from the "silly cars".

Yes, NHRA does cater to the fuel cars. You tend to do that when they are the ones paying the bills. WJ needs to remember that P/S and PSB run before fuel so that there are people in the stands when they run. They used to run P/S last and as soon as the last fuel car lit the stands started emptying out like you flushed a toilet.

P/S and everything else are merely space fillers for fuel.

Water through the track is unacceptable, but your only other recourse is to postpone the event for a day or 2 until the groundwater level goes back down. They fight this all over the place. They crashed cars at National Trails and Norwalk because of it.

Paying the bills how in the hell are they paying the bills they get in free.The sportsman racers are the ones who pay the bills.N.H.R.A raises the entry fee on the sportsman so they can increase the pros payout.
The sportsman pays for a oil down, Pros free.It coast a sportsman more to certify his car than it does a pro.

Alan Warman STK 4107
Re: WJ's comments on NHRA...thoughts? [Re: Alan Warman] #447759
08/24/09 12:52 PM
08/24/09 12:52 PM
Niles , Ohio
T
therocks Offline
therocks  Offline
T

Niles , Ohio
Biggest problem is you arent getting 40000 people to pay to watch sportsman racing.The nitro cars fill the stands and bring the big $$$$.I agree the little guy pays and gets not much back.But I race because I like it.Rocky

Chrysler Firepower
Re: WJ's comments on NHRA...thoughts? [Re: jake4cars] #447760
08/24/09 12:55 PM
08/24/09 12:55 PM
Walton's Mountain, Pa
Steve1118 Offline
master
Steve1118  Offline
master

Walton's Mountain, Pa
Modified Eliminator!!! There's a voice from the grave.

I was at Indy the year they held their "protest".....all the Modified cars paraded down the return road while eliminations were going on with "Save Modified Eliminator" signs. It didn't work....despite NHRA's statement that "we have no plans to drop Modified, etc. etc. etc...."

Unfortunately, even PS is boring...although it is by far the best of what they have to offer. It would be much better if they would use recognizable bodies....Challengers, Camaros, and Mustangs.....keep the big inch motors (no small motors), but make them use automatics or something of that like. Real Pro Stock cars used to wheelstand, jump around, be entertaining. These new cars are so smooth they are like watching paint dry. And, they all look alike.

As far as fuel cars go.....ho-hum, you've seen one, you've seen them all.

You are spot on about Dallas Gardner....he was the first in a long parade of yuppies running NHRA.

"Old age and treachery trumps youth and enthusiasm, every time!"

East Central Director / Chrysler Power Magazine

www.reasbeckracing.webs.com
Re: WJ's comments on NHRA...thoughts? [Re: therocks] #447761
08/24/09 01:01 PM
08/24/09 01:01 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

The Baders at Norwalk spend a ton of money.They are very fan oriented people.National trails should have been pulled as a national event years ago its a dump.There

I've heard good things about the Baders ..from what i've been told National trails IS a dump,thats why NHRA pulled the plug and races at Norwalk now,one of the reasons we don't attend the mopar nationals they run at the dump...

Re: WJ's comments on NHRA...thoughts? #447762
08/24/09 01:15 PM
08/24/09 01:15 PM
new jersey usa
11secdart Offline
master
11secdart  Offline
master

new jersey usa
WJ speaks his mind , you got to respect him for that. JFR is all NHRA really has, there was a bunch of stuff the last week or so about some testing conflict Graham Light from NHRA is defending JFR, of course he is. The big brass of NHRA are like polititions, so far removed from the average person that they have no idea, all they know is how to line their pockets with $$$.

68 Dart 410 / 904
92 D150 original owner
21 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, Big Horn , Hemi ,4x4
23 Audi Q5
16 Honda HRV
Re: WJ's comments on NHRA...thoughts? [Re: therocks] #447763
08/24/09 01:25 PM
08/24/09 01:25 PM
land of 10,000______'s
B
BDS871Cuda Offline
top fuel
BDS871Cuda  Offline
top fuel
B

land of 10,000______'s
Now, back to the problem. Some of these asphalt
tracks are just out of date. Heck an asphalt
track is over 50 year old technology. The all
concrete drag strip has also been around for over
20 years. There is a full concrete drag strip
with a full concrete shut down in Earlville, IA
and it been around for 12 years or more. Now you
have cooling tubes and other ways to drain water
off a track. New basses under the track so you dont
get water seapage up threw the track.
Yes it cost a lot of money to build this stuff, but
that is what it takes to have an event pulling
in thousand's of thousand's of people each
spending hunderds of $$$. Whatever class you
like, so be it, but if the tracks don't make it
work for all classes, then that track might not
get a national event next season.

And WJ lives in his world, not a fans world.

Snap your neck, mega G-force launch, is all I want!
Re: WJ's comments on NHRA...thoughts? [Re: jamesc] #447764
08/24/09 03:58 PM
08/24/09 03:58 PM
Rowlett, TX
74DusterP457 Offline
mopar addict
74DusterP457  Offline
mopar addict

Rowlett, TX
I guess WJ isn't concerned about Christmas cards from Glendora this year (but I do agree 100% with everything he said)

Re: WJ's comments on NHRA...thoughts? #447765
08/24/09 04:19 PM
08/24/09 04:19 PM
SoCal
J
jake4cars Offline
top fuel
jake4cars  Offline
top fuel
J

SoCal
Quote:

Quote:

The Baders at Norwalk spend a ton of money.They are very fan oriented people.National trails should have been pulled as a national event years ago its a dump.There

I've heard good things about the Baders ..from what i've been told National trails IS a dump,thats why NHRA pulled the plug and races at Norwalk now,one of the reasons we don't attend the mopar nationals they run at the dump...

Doesn't NHRA own National Trails?, they have all of the money in the world and yet they do nothing to improve their tracks except for coming up with more marketing brainstorms like Indy's top eliminator club, oohh Please!

I don't attend national events anymore since they transformed themselves to the circus format, you don't need to pay big money to hear the carnival barkers there when you can turn on any cable news show and get similar BS for a lot less.

I love Nostaglia Super stock racing and any kind of heads up format, this summers Pinks event at Martin was filled to capacity and beyond. NHRA, should take notes.

I too was at Indy for the infamous Modified protest and it was all to obvious even back then how little respect they had for the racers opinions.

Joey

Re: WJ's comments on NHRA...thoughts? [Re: jake4cars] #447766
08/24/09 04:36 PM
08/24/09 04:36 PM
El Dorado Ca
65signet Offline
mopar
65signet  Offline
mopar

El Dorado Ca
I have never been a big WJ fan but i think it was great that he said that.

Prostock is the best and more sportsman racing would great, lets see some comp elim, nitro cars are just a show.

1965 Plymouth Barracuda 273 M/SA
1970 Plymouth Duster 360/904 10.60s with J heads
Re: WJ's comments on NHRA...thoughts? [Re: Alan Warman] #447767
08/24/09 05:54 PM
08/24/09 05:54 PM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
Quote:

Paying the bills how in the hell are they paying the bills they get in free.The sportsman racers are the ones who pay the bills.N.H.R.A raises the entry fee on the sportsman so they can increase the pros payout.
The sportsman pays for a oil down, Pros free.It coast a sportsman more to certify his car than it does a pro.

Sportsman doesn't pay for anything but itself. Powerade pays the Pros, as do all the ticket buying fans in the stands.

If Sportsman was the big deal, how come you don't see packed stands at Divisional events? That's what all the fees pay for is to support Divisional events in front of empty stands.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4