08/19/09 06:55 AM
08/19/09 06:55 AM
Chicago, Illinois
donscuda Offline OP
top fuel
donscuda  Offline OP
top fuel

Chicago, Illinois
Last night I was talking to Larry Griffith, and he is looking at starting a match race series similar to how the Coca-Cola Cavalcade of Stars used to be using the new Challenger, Mustangs, and Camaros. Everything is just in the planning stage now, but he asked me to see if there would be any interest. In the beginning, Larry was saying that the vehicles would conform to A/Stock rules, and the only changes that might be made would be to add weight to one of the makes if they start to run away with all the wins.

He is very serious about starting this, and has been in contact with a couple of people at Ford along with the people he knows that are running the Challengers. As far as where the races would take place, I think it depends on where the interest lays, I'm pretty sure he has already has talked to some of the track owners he knows. I would think it might start out at some of the tracks that the UDRA used to race at in the mid to late 90's, and grow from there if there's enough interest. We're open to any suggestions that people would have regarding the rules and any other ideas that you guys might have to make this series as exciting as they used to be in the late 60's and early 70's.

Let me know what you guy's think about this... I think it would be a pretty cool idea, and might help bring back a little of the grass root excitement that the sport used to have.
So, give me your ideas on this...

Thanks everyone,
Don

Re: Would anyone be interested in a new match race series? [Re: donscuda] #442651
08/19/09 07:25 AM
08/19/09 07:25 AM
St. Clair Shores, Michigan
bigsbigelow Offline
pro stock
bigsbigelow  Offline
pro stock

St. Clair Shores, Michigan
Why not have an unlimited class? No minimum vehicle weight just has to be the Challenger, Mustang, or Camaro platform (Including O.E.M. style engine. You know Mustang uses some sort of Ford engine, Challenger uses some sort of Mopar engine, and Camaro uses some sort of G.M. engine), no full tube chassis, working doors, no tire size limits, and unlimited power adders. Might be interesting

Ryan "Bigs" '73 Duster (BLKDUST) - Black, 100% factory sheet metal, flat hood, 346 cid, J Heads, and a bench seat. http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj1/bigsbigelow/ Best to date: 12.40 @ 109 mph
Re: Would anyone be interested in a new match race series? [Re: bigsbigelow] #442652
08/19/09 07:40 AM
08/19/09 07:40 AM
Chicago, Illinois
donscuda Offline OP
top fuel
donscuda  Offline OP
top fuel

Chicago, Illinois
That's an idea, and that's what Larry's looking for... This is all in the planning stages now, and the more ideas we have to throw at the other racers, track promoters, and sponsors that might be interested, the better the chances are that this may end up working. I used to be part of the saftey staff for the UDRA, and I'm hoping to help Larry out also.

Thanks

Re: Would anyone be interested in a new match race series? [Re: donscuda] #442653
08/19/09 07:50 PM
08/19/09 07:50 PM
Chicago, Illinois
donscuda Offline OP
top fuel
donscuda  Offline OP
top fuel

Chicago, Illinois

Just a bump for the night folks....

Re: Would anyone be interested in a new match race series? [Re: donscuda] #442654
08/19/09 11:02 PM
08/19/09 11:02 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
Excellent idea.

I would think HotRod/Freiburger would be on to this, but they were pushing for a NASCAR equivalent.
A rebirth of a proper TransAm series (think '66 - '70) is already months overdue, as well. Maybe it's the new ownership's lack of enthusiasm...or manhood.
We have 3 ponycar brands, and their manufacturers need to sell 'em; isn't racing them a no-brainer?