L
Leigh Online content
master
Leigh  Online Content
master
L

Anoka County, MN
Quote:

We have had 2 instances where our cars were hit, both times in the pits and both times by people towing big trailers, 1st time,our Cuda got hit about 8 years ago ,trailer caught the left front fender, damaged the bumper and l/f fender pretty bad,drug the car about 4 feet sideways,We had just Painted it about 3 months prior, so at least the paint was easy to match,and I still had leftover paint, guy felt bad, offered to pay, but We was so irate that we refused, convinced him to leave before it got ugly. 2nd time ,my sons girlfriend's Challenger got hit by a trailer while in its pit spot at a Chrysler Classic by same thing, a person towing a trailer, crunched left rear 1/4 panel, and the guy did pay what the estimate was but He didn't have to tow a race race car to several body shops for estimates or race a wrecked car for several months till we could fix it. Then at the Good Guys race at National Trail a month ago, once again parked in Pit spot, and a guy in a motor home with a 28' ft enclosed comes in from the wrong way, cuts through the pits and then makes a wide swing to pull into a spot about 3 spots down from us and the rear of the trailer missed our car by the thickness of a notebook paper, He couldn't hear our screaming,and was totally unaware. I went down and told what he did, and his reply was He was watching, and He had plenty of room. He couldn't understand why I was worked up when nothing got hurt? LOL I just shook my head and walked away. Big Trailers and Amateur drivers scare me more than racetracks!

Why didn't you simply get their insurance info, write an estimate and get it fixed? That's what I did, after a racer backed into my Dart at Eddyville. It got treated like a normal claim, except, the agent had to look at my car to see it wasn't a heap. Crashing on the racing surface has nothing to do with getting hit by an insured vehicle.

Re: quetion about wrecks on the raceTrack.???? [Re: bonefish] #439471
08/16/09 12:20 PM
Florida
408Dust Offline
super stock
408Dust  Offline
super stock

Florida
Quote:

thats racin

Re: quetion about wrecks on the raceTrack.???? [Re: Thor500] #439472
Syracuse,NY
CompWedgeEngines Offline
master
CompWedgeEngines  Offline
master

Syracuse,NY
I wasnt going to comment, but I think your last statement may be the most realistic of all:

"I will have on-track insurance next time or I'll stay home..."

If you are drag racing, and the first thought that crosses your mind when you either get to the track or are in the staging lanes or beams is " how am I gonna recoup all this money if a car wrecks into me", then you really shouldnt be at the track. If your pre-occupied with those thoughts, your in the wrong arena. I would find it way more dangerous to have racers concentrating on the value of their car while going down the track than on the race itself.

This is racing . Accidents happen. Dumb azzes race too unfortunately. Shuffelboard is an option for those who want to be safe 24/7. Its the nature of the beast folks. You have to deal with it.

Now that there are some of these insurance companies, perhaps that is an option, but that is just the start ( once again) of the total take over of a sport by insurance companies, Once they get into insuring "race cars on track", whats next? Then they tell you how fast you can go? What ET your "capable" and " qualified to drive"?

I dont like the on track insurance deal myself. Its a really really bad signal.

Racers race, cars wreck, bad things CAN happen in automobile racing. You have to accept that.

As far as the other driver that wrecks you, that is another story. If it is a racing accident, unavoidable by him/her, such as blown motor, broken brakes, blown tranny, oh well. He didnt really want to wreck either.

If its a case of driver stupidity or ignorance, then a little different case. The driver SHOULD at least try to help a little. But then again, if he is accused of "driver stupidity", do you think he is going to hang around ?

As for me, I think you accept the risks of racing the minute you strap in the car. It is what it is. If you are worried about the car, you either get the insurance,( if that makes you feel better), dont race, or play cards or shuffleboard.

My

RIP Monte Smith

Your work is a reflection of yourself, autograph it with quality.

WD for Diamond Pistons,Sidewinder cylinder heads, Wiseco, K1 rods and cranks,BAM lifters, Morel lifters, Molnar Technologies, Harland Sharp, Pro Gear, Cometic, King Engine Bearings and many others.
Re: quetion about wrecks on the raceTrack.???? [Re: BILLYJAY] #439473
08/16/09 12:29 PM
08/16/09 12:29 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
If you ever go to a track, read the waiver you are signing when you enter. Everyone on the racing surface is racing at there own risk. You don't sue the guy your racing because he wrecked into you. That's racing!! Look at stock car racing or any oval track racing.

Re: quetion about wrecks on the raceTrack.???? [Re: CompWedgeEngines] #439474
08/16/09 12:32 PM
08/16/09 12:32 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

I wasnt going to comment, but I think your last statement may be the most realistic of all:

"I will have on-track insurance next time or I'll stay home..."

If you are drag racing, and the first thought that crosses your mind when you either get to the track or are in the staging lanes or beams is " how am I gonna recoup all this money if a car wrecks into me", then you really shouldnt be at the track. If your pre-occupied with those thoughts, your in the wrong arena. I would find it way more dangerous to have racers concentrating on the value of their car while going down the track than on the race itself.

This is racing . Accidents happen. Dumb azzes race too unfortunately. Shuffelboard is an option for those who want to be safe 24/7. Its the nature of the beast folks. You have to deal with it.

Now that there are some of these insurance companies, perhaps that is an option, but that is just the start ( once again) of the total take over of a sport by insurance companies, Once they get into insuring "race cars on track", whats next? Then they tell you how fast you can go? What ET your "capable" and " qualified to drive"?

I dont like the on track insurance deal myself. Its a really really bad signal.

Racers race, cars wreck, bad things CAN happen in automobile racing. You have to accept that.

As far as the other driver that wrecks you, that is another story. If it is a racing accident, unavoidable by him/her, such as blown motor, broken brakes, blown tranny, oh well. He didnt really want to wreck either.

If its a case of driver stupidity or ignorance, then a little different case. The driver SHOULD at least try to help a little. But then again, if he is accused of "driver stupidity", do you think he is going to hang around ?

As for me, I think you accept the risks of racing the minute you strap in the car. It is what it is. If you are worried about the car, you either get the insurance,( if that makes you feel better), dont race, or play cards or shuffleboard.

My

Right on!!

Re: quetion about wrecks on the raceTrack.???? [Re: Challenger 1] #439475
08/16/09 12:48 PM
08/16/09 12:48 PM
WA 98043
thecarfarmer Offline
super stock
thecarfarmer  Offline
super stock

WA 98043
My opinion: If your signature accepting the risk of racing on that waiver doesn't mean that you want to accept the risk of racing... get insurance or don't sign the damn form.

Just the opinion of a guy who has raced once in the last fifteen years, and NEVER owned anything, trick, cool, or particularly fast, because he won't spend more than he can afford on toys.

I always figured if I couldn't afford to throw it away, wreck it, or break it, I couldn't afford to race it.

Your wallets may vary

Luckily, I'm getting divorced from the main drain on the wallet, and am putting something together that I'll be able to run at the track for some (lowly) bracket action and T&Ts.

-Bill

Seduce the attractive, and charm the rest. ****** 489 C.I.D., roller cam, aftermarket heads, tunnel ram, stock '54 Dodge rear axle assembly: which of these doesn't belong?
Re: question about wrecks on the raceTrack.???? [Re: thecarfarmer] #439476
08/16/09 01:06 PM
08/16/09 01:06 PM
Lake Charles,Louisiana
B
BILLYJAY Offline OP
pro stock
BILLYJAY  Offline OP
pro stock
B

Lake Charles,Louisiana
Well maybe i should have asked the question this way then:::: if you wreck into a car on the track, are you going to help him out or walk away??? i know what the risk are, i am asking a question because these things do happen... signing a release is from sueing the track..personaly if i hit another car for whatever reason , i feel the obligation to help my it right...the type of wreck im talking about is being slammed into by the guy next to you..im not worried about if i wreck my car..I just didnt know if there was anything out there that was a rule of thumb...

Re: question about wrecks on the raceTrack.???? [Re: BILLYJAY] #439477
08/16/09 02:15 PM
08/16/09 02:15 PM
Florida-West Coast
Thor500 Offline
mopar
Thor500  Offline
mopar

Florida-West Coast
Any sort of decent person would do what they can within their means, but take it from me, it sure torks you off when your left high and dry.The guy that took my car out while driving like a cowboy has the means but won't do squat. Karma

Re: question about wrecks on the raceTrack.???? [Re: Thor500] #439478
08/16/09 04:08 PM
08/16/09 04:08 PM
new jersey usa
11secdart Offline
master
11secdart  Offline
master

new jersey usa
Interesting subject, I applied for insurance a couple years ago it covered everywhere except on the track after submitting all the info and pictures I was told they can`t write policies for NJ. Two weeks ago in the staging lanes a fellow racer/friend ran into another racers 62 Novas 1/4 panel in front of the rear wheel damaging it badly whats worse the 1/4s were only on the car less than a year. The talked it out, cooled down and my friend went home and came back an hour later with a check for 2 grand and gave it to him. He was shocked he made good so quick, I`m not, he`s a real good guy. A few years ago at an " Old Days Drags" event my friend was racing his 66 Biscayne wagon against a roadster the guy in the roadster lost it off the line and ran into my friends 1/4 panel, after the race the roadster driver says" I think I hurt my car now I can`t race" your car? what about my friends? We had another friend nearby he`s big and intimdating, he was ready to step in. But my friend said no and stayed cool meanwhile the guy that hit him mumbled something and took off out the gate. Many years ago a guy backed into my hood in the lanes and said "I`m not paying you anything" Oh yeah? I gathered some friends we approached him and said "either pay up or never come back here" he did and gave me $300. I`ve always thought there was an unwritten understanding that if you hit somebody , you pay for the damages.

68 Dart 410 / 904
92 D150 original owner
21 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, Big Horn , Hemi ,4x4
23 Audi Q5
16 Honda HRV
Re: quetion about wrecks on the raceTrack.???? [Re: Challenger 1] #439479
08/16/09 04:35 PM
08/16/09 04:35 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOrk ! Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dOrk !  Offline
The village idiot's idiot

Florida STAYcation
Quote:

If you ever go to a track, read the waiver you are signing when you enter. Everyone on the racing surface is racing at there own risk.

Does this waiver allow the track owner or operator to be sloppy and not have a "clean" track?

I think I remember reading somewhere in the SE where a track did not clean-up a motor explosion properly .. the next person down-the-track crashed ..and the track was held liable for "malpractice".

Re: question about wrecks on the raceTrack.???? [Re: 11secdart] #439480
08/16/09 04:45 PM
08/16/09 04:45 PM
Affton MO
Q
qwkmopardan Offline
super stock
qwkmopardan  Offline
super stock
Q

Affton MO
If someone in the pits damages your racecar or other equipment then they are responsible and should pay. If it happens on the race track, your fault, or theirs, everybody is on their own. If you have insurance on yours, insurance co. will pay to fix it, if you don't it's out of your own pocket. If you think the guy in the other lane is going to pay to fix your car, even if he hit you in your lane, your mistaken. Better play poker or something else. The chance you take to play the racing game. If my motor blew up and sent me into the other lane and I took out the other car I sure would feel bad, but sorry he is own his own. If I would be responsible I will sell all my junk and quit racing. If someone can show me that I would be responsible I will sell my junk today and never race again.

Re: quetion about wrecks on the raceTrack.???? [Re: dOrk !] #439481
08/16/09 04:56 PM
08/16/09 04:56 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

If you ever go to a track, read the waiver you are signing when you enter. Everyone on the racing surface is racing at there own risk.

Does this waiver allow the track owner or operator to be sloppy and not have a "clean" track?

I think I remember reading somewhere in the SE where a track did not clean-up a motor explosion properly .. the next person down-the-track crashed ..and the track was held liable for "malpractice".

No they are still not responsable. I totaled a 100K TAD at National trails because water was coming up thru the cracks of the racing surface at the big end all weekend long along with dips in the track. This was at the nats on a Sun morning during first round at 9:15 am. Cost me close to 60K to rebuilt the car. The same day 4 other drivers crashed in the same lane including Jason Line in Gregs pro stock car. They closed the track early that year to repave the place. They cancelled our last div race of the year which is also held at National trails. I did not sue anybody,it was the track fault that water was coming thru. I just got busy and rebuilt the car and got back out there. I had alot of help rebuilding the car but it was very costly.

Last edited by Challenger 1; 08/16/09 05:03 PM.
Re: quetion about wrecks on the raceTrack.???? [Re: Challenger 1] #439482
08/16/09 05:20 PM
08/16/09 05:20 PM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
The waiver you sign at the gate is not worth the paper it is written on. All it does is guarantees that there will be a lawsuit if something happens. It is meant to scare off the "nuisance" lawsuits.

It is very hard to win a lawsuit over an "on track" incident, no matter what the conditions were.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Page 2 of 2 1 2