08/15/09 01:53 PM
08/15/09 01:53 PM
SC
Greg Offline OP
super stock
Greg  Offline OP
super stock

SC
I would not spend that kind of money for a pure street car. My car will be a licensed street legal car but it will be 99% track use. I am hoping it will be running the 10.00 or 10.50 class in nostalgia super stock and max wedge. A new McCloud unit is around $1850 and Advance clutch is $2,000+ when I got quotes.

Re: Clutch Eye Candy [Re: therocks] #437728
08/15/09 02:57 PM
08/15/09 02:57 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

I hear their clutches are awesome.Expensive but good.Rocky

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here.
Bonnfante has rebuilt this clutch twice and they are some good guys. Seeing your cool clutch is like seeing artwork, I know how you feel. Does it use weights? Clutches are alot of work.

When I would get stuff like that it would sit around my office or inside the house for a few days so I could fully appreciate it.

I think they copied the Crower unit with some improvements I bet. My first Crower was a small stand clutch and it is still used today by alot of guys. But in the effort to stay current we upgraded to this big stand clutch which is supposed to be more stable with less deflection.It's on the back of my blown alky BAE hemi. It's been 5.49 et. Your'e looking at alot of titaniun,donut,stands and some hardware.

Tool to the right with the dial indicator is what we use to insure that we ground the floaters and disc parralle and flat.

When I started racing TAD in 95 with a Wipple blower and 50PSI of boost we could get 2 runs maybe even 3 before we had to take the clutch out and either resurface the disc and floaters or at swap. Now with 60+# of boost with the PSI it needs to come out every run, which is a lot work.

Got cooling racks for the disc and floaters when we take em out of the car and to keep them in order.If you find a "good combo" you want to keep those disc together and reuse em as much as possible. We could maybe get 4-5 runs per disc if we didn't slip the clutch too much. But on a hot slippy track you can fry disc and floaters in 1 run sometimes and they won't clean up. The floater can get hard spots in it too which sometimes makes resufacing difficult.Dics cost about $75 bucks each in quanity and the steel floaters are close to 100 bucks.

Had to invest the tooling and equipment to properly maintain it. We take enough clutch parts to make at least the max runs for the weekend and resuface everything at the shop after the race, more work. I lived,eat and slept clutches for a while there. I'm taking a break from racing but still own the car and equipment to race, we;ll see.

Re: Clutch Eye Candy [Re: Challenger 1] #437729
08/17/09 08:16 AM
08/17/09 08:16 AM
...gently down the stream
LAR_414 Offline
master
LAR_414  Offline
master

...gently down the stream
My RST clutch is a beautiful STREET clutch. It has the absolute lightest pedal pressure and a great engagement / disengagement. You can't ask for any better.

I've been hammering it a ton (closed highway stuff - no danger to anybody else) and it's simply awsome at WOT. Can't wait to try it at the track soon.

I highly recomend it. Stock flywheel! About $700 for the clutch setup. I'd buy this over a $400 centerforce Dual friction anyday. I can say this with 100% accuracy, as my dad runs the CF unit and has for years. It works great, but my clutch is truely the best of both worlds at my power level.

Page 2 of 2 1 2