07/21/09 11:14 PM
07/21/09 11:14 PM
Nebraska
FASTBACK66 Offline OP
mopar addict
FASTBACK66  Offline OP
mopar addict

Nebraska
I know my car will never bring big dollars so I do not really care about it being original. I just have always wanted it to be a four gear. Their is a 1966 Charger not to far away from me that was a 383/4 spd. factory and is now missing it's engine. Trans is still their. Owner said he would sell it but without the trans,pedals and hump. ??? That's all I want from it. Still working on him but in the meantime, how difficult is it? Pretty straightforward? Do I really have to change the floor hump out or can I just massage mine into submission? The parts car is very rusty and glass is broken. Interior is ratty. Mine is nice, 95% rust-free and has 53,xxx miles. Any advice.

Vinny

Re: How difficult to swap a 4-spd into my 1966 Charger [Re: FASTBACK66] #382780
07/22/09 12:23 AM
07/22/09 12:23 AM
Doo-Dah, KS
440fied Offline
super stock
440fied  Offline
super stock

Doo-Dah, KS
You will definately need the floor hump out of the four speed car, also get the pedals, downrod, z-bar, and if have access to a torch or plasma cutter, get the z-bar pivot bracket off of the drivers side frame rail, and the four speed pedal reinforcement bracket off of the firewall.

Overall the swap is pretty straight forward. Unbolt your auto pedals and bolt-in the clutch pedals, locate the floor hump on the tunnel and cut the hole for the shifter to stick up through, and weld the z-bar pivot and firewall brace that you cut off of the parts car onto your car, then bolt the flywheel, clutch, bellhousing and transmission onto your motor. If you are using a high dollar clutch and pressure plate I would recommend checking the runout on the bellhousing and using the correct offset dowel pins to line it up.

If you run into any problems along the way post them here on moparts, a lot of people have done this swap and can help you out.

Re: How difficult to swap a 4-spd into my 1966 Charger [Re: FASTBACK66] #382781
07/22/09 04:55 PM
07/22/09 04:55 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Work on him to see if he can sell you the whole car complete. Not worth buying if all the big stuff is missing. A core trans is worth a few hundred, and add another 150 for a new hump and another couple bills for a repop set of pedals. Really worth it to buy the whole thing complete.

Pretty straightforward stop, but you WILL need to cut your auto trans hump out and weld in a manual trans hump. Sorry, no way of getting around this part.