A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

thats the worrying thing the first few coats was 10% spirits but as i got confident the last 8 coats or so were direct from the can. i've been putting on super thin coats

maybe it was just a dodgey can of brightside?

That is a good possibility.... For example, marine paint like Brightside (or even Tremclad or Rustoleum ) doesn't always tend to fly off the shelves of retailers like fresh hamburger.

Depending on where you bought the paint, it may have been six weeks old from the manufacturer or one year old. Some colors sell more then others... and are restocked more frequently.

Some stores move a lot of product... and some stores might only sell a can or two in a month.

I even recall hearing about a shipment of paint that had been exposed to extreme cold during its shipping from the factory to the warehouse and later to the stores. It turned out to be a rather troublesome lot of paint for the folks who bought them...

The older the product, the more likely that settling may have occurred - where the color pigment sinks to the bottom of the can.

In a case of extreme aging, there could even be a separation of the various chemicals used in the paint.

In most cases this can be sold by doing a really good and thorough mixing or stirring of the can.

BUT... heavily whipping up the can to mix the paint may introduce bubbles into the paint. So you may have to let the can sit for a day or two before using it - to let the bubbles float to the top of the can.

I wasn't too confident when I stirred my paint with one of those 'official' wooden stir sticks. So I took a coat hanger and made a shape out of some of it that looked like a long T shape. I attached it to my power drill and lazily used it to stir up the paint. The neat thing about the T is that when you stick it into the can the top of the T is what is spinning around at the bottom of the can. So that pretty well ensures that you have stirred up any of the pigment that had sank to the bottom and clumped there.

One thing that I will say in favor of Brightside and that folks may not have noticed is that on the bottom of the can they mark the LOT number which that can of paint was produced.

NOW... the lot number tells you two important things

a ) the higher the number - the more recent the can of paint was manufactured ( hence it is fresher from the factory ).

but even more important...

b ) you want to get your cans of paint all with the same lot number. Like any product being produced, there are variances in color between one lot and another. The ladies who knit and buy wool know this already. When they are buying wool to make a sweater or an afghan blanket, they always try their best to make sure all the wool they buy came from the same lot. This is the only way to ensure that they all have the same color.

Ditto for paint. If you look under the cans on the shelf at a retailer and there are

a ) 4 cans with a lot number of 441
b ) 4 cans with a lot number of 522 and
c ) 1 can with a lot number of 599

And you need four cans for your project, then you would take the four cans from lot 522. The 441 would have been the older product, so the 522 would be the preferred one to grab since it is more recently produced. And you would leave the one can of lot 599 because you cannot be certain that its color will be an exact match - even though it is a fresher can of paint then the 522

I don't recall whether the Tremclad or Rustoleum make use of lot numbers on their cans...

WOW! thanks for all that info,

ill make sure to give it a really good stir, im starting the prepwork tomorrow, bondoing some parking dings out,

i suppose the same would apply for the prekote primer im going to apply.

i havent attempted to lay this down before - has anyone elce tryed it? does it lay the same as the brightside?

Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller #38095
03/29/08 08:11 PM
03/29/08 08:11 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

why are you putting primer on ??
with this stuff it is not necessary as
far as i know .

Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller #38096
03/29/08 09:04 PM
03/29/08 09:04 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

far as i know .

your right its not necessary at all

but i have a couple of reasons for wanting to do it

- its going to take less coats to go from red paint to white paint if i use a primer.

- im doing a lot of bondo work and it will suck in the paint like god knows what.

Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller #38097
03/30/08 01:13 PM
03/30/08 01:13 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

fair enough

are you using a flexi block for wet sanding
non flat surfaces evenly??
if so can you get a picture of the block
you are using ??
i seem to be sanding the edges badly where i can see
the old white coat

Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller #38098
03/30/08 04:49 PM
03/30/08 04:49 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

im using two different blocks for sanding.

both available from wilkinsons. but on the edges i try to do it without - i allways find myself sanding too much paint off the edge!

ill try and get some pics up

i have one thick plastic one that ive used for prepwork and just a cork sanding block for wetsanding the paint.

Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller [Re: Marq] #38099
03/30/08 05:42 PM
03/30/08 05:42 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

thats the worrying thing the first few coats was 10% spirits but as i got confident the last 8 coats or so were direct from the can. i've been putting on super thin coats

maybe it was just a dodgey can of brightside?

That is a good possibility.... For example, marine paint like Brightside (or even Tremclad or Rustoleum ) doesn't always tend to fly off the shelves of retailers like fresh hamburger.

Depending on where you bought the paint, it may have been six weeks old from the manufacturer or one year old. Some colors sell more then others... and are restocked more frequently.

Some stores move a lot of product... and some stores might only sell a can or two in a month.

I even recall hearing about a shipment of paint that had been exposed to extreme cold during its shipping from the factory to the warehouse and later to the stores. It turned out to be a rather troublesome lot of paint for the folks who bought them...

The older the product, the more likely that settling may have occurred - where the color pigment sinks to the bottom of the can.

In a case of extreme aging, there could even be a separation of the various chemicals used in the paint.

In most cases this can be sold by doing a really good and thorough mixing or stirring of the can.

BUT... heavily whipping up the can to mix the paint may introduce bubbles into the paint. So you may have to let the can sit for a day or two before using it - to let the bubbles float to the top of the can.

I wasn't too confident when I stirred my paint with one of those 'official' wooden stir sticks. So I took a coat hanger and made a shape out of some of it that looked like a long T shape. I attached it to my power drill and lazily used it to stir up the paint. The neat thing about the T is that when you stick it into the can the top of the T is what is spinning around at the bottom of the can. So that pretty well ensures that you have stirred up any of the pigment that had sank to the bottom and clumped there.

One thing that I will say in favor of Brightside and that folks may not have noticed is that on the bottom of the can they mark the LOT number which that can of paint was produced.

NOW... the lot number tells you two important things

a ) the higher the number - the more recent the can of paint was manufactured ( hence it is fresher from the factory ).

but even more important...

b ) you want to get your cans of paint all with the same lot number. Like any product being produced, there are variances in color between one lot and another. The ladies who knit and buy wool know this already. When they are buying wool to make a sweater or an afghan blanket, they always try their best to make sure all the wool they buy came from the same lot. This is the only way to ensure that they all have the same color.

Ditto for paint. If you look under the cans on the shelf at a retailer and there are

a ) 4 cans with a lot number of 441
b ) 4 cans with a lot number of 522 and
c ) 1 can with a lot number of 599

And you need four cans for your project, then you would take the four cans from lot 522. The 441 would have been the older product, so the 522 would be the preferred one to grab since it is more recently produced. And you would leave the one can of lot 599 because you cannot be certain that its color will be an exact match - even though it is a fresher can of paint then the 522

I don't recall whether the Tremclad or Rustoleum make use of lot numbers on their cans...

also i think you hit the nail right on the head there mate.

i used a 250ml can for my test peice - lot number 602

my cans for the actual painting are both lot number 2509

i suspect there isnt much demand for the 250ml cans of brightside in the boating world!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #38100
03/30/08 11:37 PM
03/30/08 11:37 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Complete pic 1

4317270-P1020072.jpg (326 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #38101
03/30/08 11:38 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Complete pic 2

4317272-P1020077.jpg (278 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #38102

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Complete pic 3

4317274-P1020081.jpg (289 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #38103
03/30/08 11:40 PM
03/30/08 11:40 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Complete pic 4

I have to say I'm damn happy with how it has turned out. It's good to see heap of other people having success with this method aswell. Cheers to you all!

4317278-P1020097.jpg (272 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #38104
03/31/08 01:37 AM
03/31/08 01:37 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Complete pic 4

I have to say I'm damn happy with how it has turned out. It's good to see heap of other people having success with this method aswell. Cheers to you all!

That is a kewl wagon... and it looks great in black ! If I saw that car going down the road here.. there is NO WAY I would have ever guessed it was an 89... That car is blessed with one of those bodies that has the style that looks as sexy as any of the other newer import wagons on the road today. Kudos to you !

Last edited by Marq; 03/31/08 01:41 AM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #38105
03/31/08 04:04 AM
03/31/08 04:04 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Im with Marq on this one. I also would of never guessed that your ride is a 89, even though im always clicking the link in your sig!

Good job! I hope mine comes out like yours!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #38106
03/31/08 06:10 AM
03/31/08 06:10 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Complete pic 4

woww ,very impressive finish you got there
few questions if i may ;

have you taken out the front and rear windscreens
out for painting to avoid paint line on the rubbers ?

looking at the pics on your blog,i understand
you have not done any wet sanding between coats ??
was the brightside paint able to lay down that good ??
if i am right ,how much of thinners did you
use to thin down the paint ??

Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller #38107
03/31/08 02:59 PM
03/31/08 02:59 PM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline OP
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline OP
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
Quote:

far as i know .

Look at the differance between the door coverage and the rest after first coat.
Door was primed..

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #38108
03/31/08 03:19 PM
03/31/08 03:19 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

those finished pics are absolutly stunning!!

congrats man, all that hard work and effort has really payed off!

heres a beer from me!

here is some progress pics of my bodywork today.

the palm tree had to be moved becuase it was outside the door of the carport and the car wouldent go in that easy!

old place of the palm tree,

new relocated palm tree!

here are the pics of the prep work

the last picture of her ever to be seen with a red shine!

and how she sits now drying for tomorrow.

the fillering i have done has acutally come out much better than expected. i doubt there will be any signs at all when its painted.

one problem ive had is the hatch for the boot. the rust was so much that im going to get a new one and paint it seperatly after the paintjob. it would of taken a whole day of work to get that one right. and i just cba!

bright and early tomorrow the primering starts!

am i right in thinking that the prekote will only need 8ish hours to be sandable? thought i read somewhere in the 2nd thread that it takes less time to dry!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #38109
03/31/08 05:33 PM
03/31/08 05:33 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

woww ,very impressive finish you got there
few questions if i may ;

have you taken out the front and rear windscreens
out for painting to avoid paint line on the rubbers ?

looking at the pics on your blog,i understand
you have not done any wet sanding between coats ??
was the brightside paint able to lay down that good ??
if i am right ,how much of thinners did you
use to thin down the paint ??

Thanks everyone for the comments.

I better answer these to clear things up.

I didn't take out the windscreen or rear window, instead I used a thick cord and placed it around underneith the window rubber, therefore when I painted, the paint was able to ge underneith the rubber.

I did wetsand between ever single coat, I didn't put any pics up of this as I felt they were pretty boring shots.

Brightside was great paint to work with, I still have almost a litre of paint left (used 3 litres on my car) so I have plenty to do any touch ups.

Here is my paint mixture I used:
375-400ml paint
100ml penetrol
75ml mineral spirits (mineral turps here in Australia)

Cheers all

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #38110
03/31/08 07:45 PM
03/31/08 07:45 PM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline OP
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline OP
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
Your project is well under way, Looking at the pictures I'd say sanding on one of those small cars is much better than a truck, I can't roll the truck on its side for easy access to the lower quarters..
Just kidding of course...

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: 69DartGT] #38111
03/31/08 08:53 PM
03/31/08 08:53 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Your project is well under way, Looking at the pictures I'd say sanding on one of those small cars is much better than a truck, I can't roll the truck on its side for easy access to the lower quarters..
Just kidding of course...

lol, well the chassis code for them is EG so they often get refered to as the EGg!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #38112
03/31/08 09:17 PM
03/31/08 09:17 PM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline OP
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline OP
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
BTW England is one of my favorite places to visit, I love English beer especially the bitter and porter

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #38113
04/01/08 07:53 AM
04/01/08 07:53 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Has anyone seen or used the new EASTWOOD automotive paints? its Single stage urethane enamel.I was thinking of useing the Cruise Night Blue Metallic. looks like B5 for $69.99 Gal + activator 32oz$19.99 Mix 3:1 .
http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/produ...ProductID=21248
?? And can I use Lacquer Primer under the urethane paint or do i need to use Urethane Primer?

Thanks for any input!

Page 90 of 167 1 2 88 89 90 91 92 166 167