03/26/08 07:23 PM
03/26/08 07:23 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

holy crap, 12 coats with BS and no gloss? Im still a noob myself and would like to know why there is no gloss.

wait. are you using the same grit everytime you wetsand?

Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller #38075
03/26/08 08:37 PM
03/26/08 08:37 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

nope different grits

gone up from 200, 400, 800, 1000, now on 1200,

but i have just ran out of paint for the test peice and decided to do the final sand and hand polish with some really cheap polish.

the shines defo there ill post some pics tomorrow when there is some light. but still id like to know why there was no gloss up until now!

Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller #38076
03/26/08 09:30 PM
03/26/08 09:30 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

what are you cutting it with because usually after the first coat there is gloss make sure that you bought gloss and not satin

Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller #38077
03/26/08 10:00 PM
03/26/08 10:00 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

im using it streight out the can,

and yup its defo gloss

anyone elce used snow white before?

looking at the gloss ive got from the limited polishing ive done its still not that shiny compared to some unpolished jobs on here. it might be different in the natural light tomorrow. ill have a look (its 2am over here in the uk)

Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller [Re: blk00rt] #38078
03/26/08 10:19 PM
03/26/08 10:19 PM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline OP
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline OP
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
Quote:

while I am about two weeks off from trying the rolling method. My question is has anyone tried to spray the door jams and such. If so how much did you thin the paint. I am thinking 4:1 for Rustoleum but am worried that might be the wrong mix.
Thanks

Thin by using the count the drips method, I stir then lift the stir stick and count & as soon as I get a count where the paint goes from a stream to drops about a 7 or 8 cont worked good for me.

Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller [Re: 69DartGT] #38079
03/27/08 08:42 AM
03/27/08 08:42 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Back again, I'm finally done painting and I'm now putting my car back together. Due to rain I only got 2 pics...

4307383-P1020046.JPG (302 downloads)
Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller #38080
03/27/08 08:43 AM
03/27/08 08:43 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And the other one...

4307386-P1020047.JPG (254 downloads)
Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller #38081
03/27/08 08:50 AM
03/27/08 08:50 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

looking good!

what paint are you using? and is that all polished up or is it the rain making it look soo shiney!

Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller #38082
03/27/08 09:02 AM
03/27/08 09:02 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

got a pic of the slightly polished test peice here guys

what you think about that, still not as shiney imo

Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller #38083
03/27/08 11:44 AM
03/27/08 11:44 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

ok another long time lurker here
first of all thanks to 69chargeryehaa for
coming up with the idea and all the rest of
top people here developing the whole system

i am hoping to paint my 1988 renault 9 with this
method in the very near future and i have been experimenting with a small can of combi color (rustoleum ) gloss black for the last few weeks
on a spare rear spoiler i have here .
the results so far are pretty promising , i have
used a 4" foam roller and a very good quality bristle brush to get rid of the bubbles which works fine .

however i have a few questions here ;

1- the original paint on my car is a creamy white
which has no laquer coat on top and i have been told this is a 2k paint . i remember reading the
older posts some people mentioning rustoleum/tremclad etc will have reactions with
2k paint ??
trials on the spoiler worked fine so far by the way .

2- also having no clear coat on the original paint can i just skip the initial 240g dry sanding step and start from 400g to key the paint ??

3- what does the flexible sanders everyone use look like ?? i have been wrapping the sand paper around a sponge to cover the non flat surfaces .
does this sound right ??

4- whats the best way of getting the flattest surface on the final wetsanding step ??
anyone tried using a guide coat before ??

5- i know this is rust paint and all that but for extra peace of mind ,can i use a brush on rust killer on bare metal (kurust, granville ) before
bondo and primer ???

6- i have gone a little impatient on the 5th coat
and went polishing after wet sanding with 1000g
to see what kind of shine i can get but in the process i took too much paint off from a few corners where i can see the original white paint
now ,is white/mineral spirits good enough to
clean the remains of the polish as i know there will be adhesion problems if i try another coat
of paint on this surface ???

here is me after 5th coat, not wet sanded !!

Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller #38084
03/27/08 01:27 PM
03/27/08 01:27 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

looking real good man,

you say that last pic was before wetsanding and polishing!?

damn its going to come out good!

Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller #38085
03/27/08 03:21 PM
03/27/08 03:21 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

looking real good man,

you say that last pic was before wetsanding and polishing!?

damn its going to come out good!

yeah thats the paint touch dried and not wet sanded.
but what you cant see in that picture is tiny bits of crap everywhere which wet sands out fine .

Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller #38086
03/27/08 08:29 PM
03/27/08 08:29 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

My first thought was that you had over thinned the paint, which makes for a dull finish. With that many coats, you should have had shine without the polish.

You thin the paint to give it more workability which helps the self-leveling. How thin depends a lot on where you are and what the ambient conditions are. If it is cold and damp, your ideal mixture is going to be different than somebody painting in hot and dry conditions.

What is your ratio of paint to mineral spirits?

Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller #38087
03/27/08 09:39 PM
03/27/08 09:39 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

My first thought was that you had over thinned the paint, which makes for a dull finish. With that many coats, you should have had shine without the polish.

You thin the paint to give it more workability which helps the self-leveling. How thin depends a lot on where you are and what the ambient conditions are. If it is cold and damp, your ideal mixture is going to be different than somebody painting in hot and dry conditions.

What is your ratio of paint to mineral spirits?

thats the worrying thing the first few coats was 10% spirits but as i got confident the last 8 coats or so were direct from the can. i've been putting on super thin coats

maybe it was just a dodgey can of brightside?

Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller #38088
03/28/08 01:34 AM
03/28/08 01:34 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

looking good!

what paint are you using? and is that all polished up or is it the rain making it look soo shiney!

I'm using Brightside black. I haven't polished anything as yet, I'm going to let the paint cure properly for a month before i do that.

Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller #38089
03/28/08 07:52 AM
03/28/08 07:52 AM
Maine
B
Blackstone Offline
Blackstone  Offline
B

Maine
Quote:

And the other one...

O...M...G!

You've got to be happy with those results. If it looks this good in person, It's going to be hard for me not to paint all my cars Brightside Black!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #38090
03/28/08 08:04 AM
03/28/08 08:04 AM
Maine
B
Blackstone Offline
Blackstone  Offline
B

Maine
Dude, I was just checking out your website... That's a rear-drive with a 3.3 Buick! That bulletproof engine was only offered in '89-'93 front-drive Cutlass Ciera and Buick Century in the US. I love Australian cars. If they make 3.8-powered rear-drive cars, I'm coming down there... I'll be the guy at the airport with an Eaton supercharger under my arm!!

Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller #38091
03/28/08 10:51 PM
03/28/08 10:51 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

That has to be it. At 10% to straight out of the can it should have tons of gloss. See the Black Holden wagon for brightside shine reference.

Hang in there, you have the smooth application down, just need the right product.

Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller #38092
03/29/08 12:33 AM
03/29/08 12:33 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

thats the worrying thing the first few coats was 10% spirits but as i got confident the last 8 coats or so were direct from the can. i've been putting on super thin coats

That is a good possibility.... For example, marine paint like Brightside (or even Tremclad or Rustoleum ) doesn't always tend to fly off the shelves of retailers like fresh hamburger.

Depending on where you bought the paint, it may have been six weeks old from the manufacturer or one year old. Some colors sell more then others... and are restocked more frequently.

Some stores move a lot of product... and some stores might only sell a can or two in a month.

I even recall hearing about a shipment of paint that had been exposed to extreme cold during its shipping from the factory to the warehouse and later to the stores. It turned out to be a rather troublesome lot of paint for the folks who bought them...

The older the product, the more likely that settling may have occurred - where the color pigment sinks to the bottom of the can.

In a case of extreme aging, there could even be a separation of the various chemicals used in the paint.

In most cases this can be sold by doing a really good and thorough mixing or stirring of the can.

BUT... heavily whipping up the can to mix the paint may introduce bubbles into the paint. So you may have to let the can sit for a day or two before using it - to let the bubbles float to the top of the can.

I wasn't too confident when I stirred my paint with one of those 'official' wooden stir sticks. So I took a coat hanger and made a shape out of some of it that looked like a long T shape. I attached it to my power drill and lazily used it to stir up the paint. The neat thing about the T is that when you stick it into the can the top of the T is what is spinning around at the bottom of the can. So that pretty well ensures that you have stirred up any of the pigment that had sank to the bottom and clumped there.

One thing that I will say in favor of Brightside and that folks may not have noticed is that on the bottom of the can they mark the LOT number which that can of paint was produced.

NOW... the lot number tells you two important things

a ) the higher the number - the more recent the can of paint was manufactured ( hence it is fresher from the factory ).

but even more important...

b ) you want to get your cans of paint all with the same lot number. Like any product being produced, there are variances in color between one lot and another. The ladies who knit and buy wool know this already. When they are buying wool to make a sweater or an afghan blanket, they always try their best to make sure all the wool they buy came from the same lot. This is the only way to ensure that they all have the same color.

Ditto for paint. If you look under the cans on the shelf at a retailer and there are

a ) 4 cans with a lot number of 441
b ) 4 cans with a lot number of 522 and
c ) 1 can with a lot number of 599

And you need four cans for your project, then you would take the four cans from lot 522. The 441 would have been the older product, so the 522 would be the preferred one to grab since it is more recently produced. And you would leave the one can of lot 599 because you cannot be certain that its color will be an exact match - even though it is a fresher can of paint then the 522

I don't recall whether the Tremclad or Rustoleum make use of lot numbers on their cans...

Last edited by Marq; 03/29/08 12:50 AM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Blackstone] #38093
03/29/08 06:48 AM
03/29/08 06:48 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Dude, I was just checking out your website... That's a rear-drive with a 3.3 Buick! That bulletproof engine was only offered in '89-'93 front-drive Cutlass Ciera and Buick Century in the US. I love Australian cars. If they make 3.8-powered rear-drive cars, I'm coming down there... I'll be the guy at the airport with an Eaton supercharger under my arm!!

Hey mate, It's actually the 3.8 litre engine, and yes they are bulletproof! Great things the Buick engine.

I'll pick you up from the airport, lol

Page 89 of 167 1 2 87 88 89 90 91 166 167