Columbus, Ohio
wheelsup68dart Offline
master
wheelsup68dart  Offline
master

Columbus, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Some people need a sign in their window - Please LET Me Win.

Yep thats it, put a box in your car and you become an instant hitter thats how it works I wish everyone who thought putting in a box makes you a better racer would come over to this side and give it a try. After all us box guys would not be any good if it were not for the delay boxes. So come on over, throw in a delay box and toss in a throttle stop, because that just makes it even easier and show us how it is done. Jump in with both feet the water is just fine

I think the most valuable reason to have cross talk is that not every tree is shielded and you can see your opponents top bulb. When you are relying on seeing the first flash of amber and you can see the other lanes top bulb it can be distractiong, especially if there is a small separtion in dial ins. For example if I were dialed a 9.60 to my opponents 9.62 the chances are that I am going to react to his tree and my delay is gonna be .02 quicker, thus going red. I always love racing cars with a N on the window when their dial is like this, cause I believe their light is gonna b red.

Re: Explain how cross talk works [Re: wheelsup68dart] #380484
07/20/09 12:35 PM
07/20/09 12:35 PM
ky
68roadrunner Offline
super stock
68roadrunner  Offline
super stock

ky

I think the most valuable reason to have cross talk is that not every tree is shielded and you can see your opponents top bulb. When you are relying on seeing the first flash of amber and you can see the other lanes top bulb it can be distractiong, especially if there is a small separtion in dial ins. For example if I were dialed a 9.60 to my opponents 9.62 the chances are that I am going to react to his tree and my delay is gonna be .02 quicker, thus going red. I always love racing cars with a N on the window when their dial is like this, cause I believe their light is gonna b red.

i wished for years they would shade all trees, not just special events. but the crosstalk does the same thing, everybody here runs it. just dont get up on the two step to soon if your alot faster.

Re: Explain how cross talk works [Re: 71cuda] #380485
07/20/09 12:49 PM
07/20/09 12:49 PM
PA
moparacer Offline
master
moparacer  Offline
master

PA
Quote:

the problem i have with cross talk is i'm a footbraker,proclass no electronics.when i go into super pro if i'm the faster car it really screws up reaction time.top bulb stays on awyhere from 1-2 seconds the drops.running that class with out a box is hard enough without having the tree screw with you.

If the track has cross talk, you should be able to put an N on you window and disable it for your pass....

Every track I have ever ran at that was the case.

I have boxed and footbraked for years and ones just as hard as the other.

67 Barracuda street/bracket car 11.27-119
68 Dart 502 BB 8.70s-152
414 cid SB Dragster 7.65-174
Re: Explain how cross talk works [Re: Al_Alguire] #380486
07/21/09 12:24 AM
07/21/09 12:24 AM
Newport, Mi
Evil Spirit Offline
master
Evil Spirit  Offline
master

Newport, Mi
Quote:

Quote:

Some people need a sign in their window - Please LET Me Win.

Yep thats it, put a box in your car and you become an instant hitter thats how it works I wish everyone who thought putting in a box makes you a better racer would come over to this side and give it a try. After all us box guys would not be any good if it were not for the delay boxes. So come on over, throw in a delay box and toss in a throttle stop, because that just makes it even easier and show us how it is done. Jump in with both feet the water is just fine

If delay/crossover boxes, throttle stops, air shifters, e/t prediction weather stations, e.t.c. didn't make people "better" racers, there wouldn't be the money spent on them that there is, and people wouldn't argue so hard to keep them. There is A LOT of money spent on electronics, and you can bet if there was no advantage to it, that money would be spent elsewhere (like on actual speed parts). The tracks sure wouldn't buy CrossTalks if the "racers" didn't want it - to give them AN ADVANTAGE to go off of the other racers light. There also wouldn't be separate box/no box classes at so many tracks. You can't tell me it's not easier to go on the first flash of yellow than it is to follow the tree down and try to leave on the right amount of last bulb, or just try to focus and leave on the last bulb. My feets been wet; I just learned to stay away from the pools that get pizzed in.

Free advice and worth every penny...
Factory trained Slinky rewinder.........
Re: Explain how cross talk works [Re: Evil Spirit] #380487
07/21/09 12:48 AM
07/21/09 12:48 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
I was a non electronics racer for years. I wanted the CHALLENGE of trying to run an electronics car. I had my fair share of success in non electronics racing. I have had the occasional successes with the box in the car as well. If you think it is easy or makes you better you can have that opinion. Think of it this way, it is just more variables we have to get right to win, more things we can have go wrong for sure....You can absolutely think it makes you better ree to throw them in your car and take the wallies. What i dont understand is if you think it is a way to be better why have you not done it yet? I mean if they make you better why are the electronics car counts always lower than the non electronics guys????? Why would people not want to be better if it was just a matter of a few hundred dollars for a delay box or a throttle stop? Dont tell me it is about the money, we have all spent money to do this, a few hundred more to make you a better racer if that were the case would be a small price to pay

As for the seperate classes comments, well to the best of my knowledge there is only one electronics class and a slew of non electronics classes in bracket racing, guess most folks must not want to take the easy way huh?

BTW this is just my opinion but if you are watching all three amber bulbs you doing something wrong

BTW one last point. Good racers are good racers period. Dont matter if it is footbraking, all electronics, no electronics, index racing whatever. If you are good you are good. Just the way it is, electronics DO NOT make you a better racer period

Off my soapbox for now. This is just one of those issues that seems to come up from time to time. usually in the winter though. Must be already getting cold in some places

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: Explain how cross talk works [Re: Al_Alguire] #380488
07/21/09 01:51 AM
07/21/09 01:51 AM
Newport, Mi
Evil Spirit Offline
master
Evil Spirit  Offline
master

Newport, Mi
I've driven both, also. I prefer the challenge of having to see a slight amount of the last bulb, having to shift at the correct time, and having to dial the car in correctly. As to cost, the last several delay/throtle stop/air shift setups that I have installed for others was a lot more than a couple hundred dollars; more like $1200-$1500. As to watching all 3 bulbs; I occasionally have raced cars that didn't 60' hard enough to leave on the last bulb, so you have to leave as the 2nd was going off, or deep stage which isn't always permitted. There is a sweet spot in the 60' times that you can focus on the bottom bulb and get good lights - much faster or slower benefits from a box. And if there are so many more classes for no box than box, I must not be the only one that don't care for, or NEED them.

Free advice and worth every penny...
Factory trained Slinky rewinder.........
Re: Explain how cross talk works [Re: Evil Spirit] #380489
07/21/09 08:54 AM
07/21/09 08:54 AM
Northport, al.
T
tvt59 Offline
enthusiast
tvt59  Offline
enthusiast
T

Northport, al.
MHO. Back before delay boxes first came out. On a Friday night in Birmingham, Al. there would be 85 to 125 cars in the pro. bracket class. Only 10 to 15 of them were capable of adjusting themselves and their cars to cut consistant .020 lights and have their cars run the number. We would all try and stay away from each other untill the money rounds. After delay boxes came out " and racers got used to them" Most all drivers could consistantly get there lights down in that range. They still had the problem of getting the car to run the number. It is easier to be consistant on releasing a button at the same time each round as opposed to adjusting yourself and your car. Now a days it is just as hard in box racing and footbrake racing. Because the best footbrake racers footbrake and the best box racers box race. The thing I see that has really improved is how many cars can run their number. I think weather stations and racers knowing more about bracket race tuning vs tuning for max power plus more use of methanol in bracket racing.

Nothing worth anything comes easy. It is always harder to do the right thing. My Grandfather
Page 2 of 2 1 2