01/24/08 09:22 AM
01/24/08 09:22 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just finished with the fourth coat. Im still not getting complete full coverage. Maybe I thinned the paint too much? Im afraid when i sand with 600 tommorrow morning, im going to remove the fourth coat. What do you guys think?

Heres some shots.

---------------------
Closer shot.

---------------------
Can this cause any ill-effects? (fog) Ever since I started this whole project, its been foggy every morning. I do dry the crap out of my hood before I start the prep. Im just wondering if the fog can cause any harm.

Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller #37875
01/24/08 11:39 AM
01/24/08 11:39 AM
MD, USA
V
v8mirage Offline
v8mirage  Offline
V

MD, USA
If its foggy it can definitely effect your finish. I would think that no matter what you do to dry it moisture will settle onto the surface.

Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller [Re: v8mirage] #37876
01/24/08 12:54 PM
01/24/08 12:54 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

If its foggy it can definitely effect your finish. I would think that no matter what you do to dry it moisture will settle onto the surface.

My first thought on hearing of the foggy effect... is that you must be in an area where there is condensation in the morning... ie... warm and moist during the day with overnight temperatures dropping to a cooler temperature.

If the car is being left outside to dry... there is not much you can do to beat the effects of morning condensation except park it in the garage overnight to dry or hold off painting until the variance between the environment temperatures ( between night and morning ) levels off and the two temperature ranges become more similar.

If this is happening AND you are already leaving the car in the garage... ( ruling out the outside temperature variance variable ) then you might try adding a slightly higher ratio of paint into your mixture.

The fogging 'may' not turn out to be a problem in the end... because the fogging is technically sitting on the outer skin of the paint. When you get to the compounding and polishing stage at the end of the project, it will be removing that fine outer skin surface of the paint. The subsequent application of wax at the end of the final polishing will seal the exposed polished outer skin to prevent moisture and oxygen from reaching it.

I would assume and hope that when you add a new coat of paint to your build up of coats, that the 'fog' disappears and is consumed by the fresh layer of paint... and that the fog is only re-appearing 'after' the latest coat has dried. IF SO... then just rest assured that your later compounding and polishing 'should' be able to get the paint to the level of 'unfoginess' that you see when the paint is freshly wet or applied.

Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller [Re: Marq] #37877
01/24/08 03:46 PM
01/24/08 03:46 PM
MD, USA
V
v8mirage Offline
v8mirage  Offline
V

MD, USA
I think he was refering to atmospheric conditions not the look in the paint.

Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller [Re: v8mirage] #37878
01/24/08 04:08 PM
01/24/08 04:08 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wow.... just.... wow. I've spent the last month or so reading the entire thread, front to back... all 200 or so pages over 3 threads. Plus the Hot Rod Article, the rollyourcar.com page, the corvair page, etc.

And I'm going to do it. The GN and the 'Vette really convinced me as I want to try gloss black too. I'm not going to even try to start painting till maybe May when the weather heats up but in the mean time I'm going to start gathering supplies. I think I'm going to use a basecoat of Rustoleum and then switch to Brightside for the last coat or two but I'll have to order that as I'm in the middle of nowhere with no lakes nearby.

I have an '89 Buick LeSabre T Type with really bad paint. It was in a hail-storm in the late '90's and the repair job was done really poorly. The clear and spots of the paint are flaking off the roof and trunk.

Anyway, here are some shots to show what I've got to fix

Looks like I need to start with some 200ish grit paper and work the rest of the clearcoat off, pull some dents, and have at it. I'm replacing both front fenders so I'll use one of the old ones for a practice piece.

I'm going to be doing this outside in my carport so I guess I'll hose the walls down before I start and maybe hang some tarps or plastic dropsheets to keep the dust and bugs to a minimum.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the wonderful ideas and that I'll be back with more pics as I get started

Pics? [Re: Marq] #37879
01/24/08 06:54 PM
01/24/08 06:54 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hi Marq!

Having read most of the posts from the very first thread on this subject I feel as if I know a bunch of you already, but it took about a week to get to this point!

Having said that, I (and I suspect many others) would love to see pics of some of the vehicles that were posted two years ago when this thread began but have since been lost because of hosting changes made by the original posters. Your Mustang, for example, is profiled quite a bit but the pictures are no longer available. Would you please repost a few of them? After all the kudos I'd love to finally see it!

On a separate note, I come from a classic Suzuki forum (TheGSResources.com) that has a similarly terrific group of members and a lot of them are interested in ways to repaint on their own. However, the biggest problem with "home jobs" has been the lack of resistance to spilled fuel. As you might imagine, this happens more often to motorcyclists than to the average car owner and there is nothing more frustrating than watching a nice paint job simply melt away the first time the gas spills.

I know that "Charger" has stated that his paint was unaffected by spill issues, but since he hasn't buffed his cars out to the "ultimate" shine I wonder if perhaps he didn't notice a problem because any haze (or loss of shine) the fuel might cause was already there? I'd be much more convinced if "Aussie's" gorgeous work had already proven to be gas resistant, or if your Mustang (which I hear is awesome but haven't seen yet) might have survived a gas spill with no ill effects. Any thoughts, specifically where it comes to the Brightside product?

Thanks in advance to everyone who's continued to prove the viability of this method over time! I have several potential projects in mind where this might be the perfect option! I look forward to your response, and I suspect many others watching this thread will appreciate some expanded discussion of "gas resistance."

Regards,

Last edited by Planecrazy; 01/28/08 05:05 PM.
Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller [Re: Marq] #37880
01/24/08 07:30 PM
01/24/08 07:30 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

My first thought on hearing of the foggy effect... is that you must be in an area where there is condensation in the morning... ie... warm and moist during the day with overnight temperatures dropping to a cooler temperature.

Yep, thats Florida in the winter for ya

If the car is being left outside to dry... there is not much you can do to beat the effects of morning condensation except park it in the garage overnight to dry or hold off painting until the variance between the environment temperatures ( between night and morning ) levels off and the two temperature ranges become more similar.

unfortunately for me, i do not own a garage. So this project is taking on all the elements.

If this is happening AND you are already leaving the car in the garage... ( ruling out the outside temperature variance variable ) then you might try adding a slightly higher ratio of paint into your mixture.

The fogging 'may' not turn out to be a problem in the end... because the fogging is technically sitting on the outer skin of the paint. When you get to the compounding and polishing stage at the end of the project, it will be removing that fine outer skin surface of the paint. The subsequent application of wax at the end of the final polishing will seal the exposed polished outer skin to prevent moisture and oxygen from reaching it.

Thats what im suspecting. After I prep the surface, i use a tack cloth not only to pick up junk but also to see if the condensation collects fast enough to leave a streak when wiping down. which it doesnt.

I would assume and hope that when you add a new coat of paint to your build up of coats, that the 'fog' disappears and is consumed by the fresh layer of paint... and that the fog is only re-appearing 'after' the latest coat has dried. IF SO... then just rest assured that your later compounding and polishing 'should' be able to get the paint to the level of 'unfoginess' that you see when the paint is freshly wet or applied.

my thought exactly

Last edited by M2001; 01/24/08 07:31 PM.
Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller #37881
01/24/08 09:18 PM
01/24/08 09:18 PM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline
I Love the Unicorn Song!!
Gusteve  Offline

Flint, MI
Quote:

Wow.... just.... wow. I've spent the last month or so reading the entire thread, front to back... all 200 or so pages over 3 threads. Plus the Hot Rod Article, the rollyourcar.com page, the corvair page, etc.

Dude - I love those cars. Do a pic with the hood flipped open. That front hinge on the hood is really cool. Most people don't know about that.

If you've read all 3 threads, and the hot rod article, you should be good to go. Good luck with your rolling!!!

BTW - I suggest that anyone that attempts this process take the time to read all the threads. It takes a long time, but it'll save you a lot of headaches in the long run. The most commonly asked questions have been already answered.

Having said that, this is a unique experience for everyone, based on their specific car and conditions. So ask on.

If I was a jerk (don't ask my wife that question) I would propose a thread that would be a compilation of the stupidest questions one could possibly ask.

#1) Should I use 50 grit?

Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller #37882
01/25/08 02:09 AM
01/25/08 02:09 AM
Edgerton WI
D
Donny O. Offline
Donny O.  Offline
D

Edgerton WI
Quote:

Just finished with the fourth coat. Im still not getting complete full coverage. Maybe I thinned the paint too much? Im afraid when i sand with 600 tommorrow morning, im going to remove the fourth coat. What do you guys think?

I had 8 coats on my sidecar and can still see through in spots......so just keep rolling them on man!!! i know i thinned the paint to much on purpose so that it would be thin and level better saving me sanding time.....I can jsut roll more coats on easier!!

Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller [Re: Donny O.] #37883
01/25/08 02:27 AM
01/25/08 02:27 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

In reading all these threads the recurring theme that keeps coming back to me is that although you don't HAVE to use primer to get a good bond it seems like even with as many as ten coats you'd still wind up with a more consistent result if you DID use it.

After all, with the varying levels of sanding/buffing needed one will invariably wind up cutting down more coats in one place versus fewer coats in other places, and this could lead to color variations if the starting point is splotchy and dramatically different underneath from area to area. The primer coat pretty much eliminates this hassle by quickly providing a nice even starting point.

My .02

Regards,

Last edited by Planecrazy; 01/28/08 05:03 PM.
Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller #37884
01/25/08 10:18 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

In reading all these threads the recurring theme that keeps coming back to me is that although you don't HAVE to use primer to get a good bond it seems like even with as many as ten coats you'd still wind up with a more consistent result if you DID use it.

After all, with the varying levels of sanding/buffing needed one will invariably wind up cutting down more coats in one place versus fewer coats in other places, and this could lead to color variations if the starting point is splotchy and dramatically different underneath from area to area. The primer coat pretty much eliminates this hassle by quickly providing a nice even starting point.

Just to back that up, while rolling changes the application paradigm, it does not change the physical realities of painting:

All the surface prep work required for a good spray job are still required for a good roll job.

The surface must be smooth and free of contaminants and debris. Sanding marks, if not removed, will be visible in the final product. If the surface is not clean and smooth, it does not matter if the paint cost $7 or $700, is applied with a mop or a $1500 spray rig in a $150,000 booth, it will still look bad.

This ain't latex. It is "Real" car paint, albeit old-school.

Read the threads, follow the instructions, take your time and have fun. At the very least you will have a good story to tell. Whether that story has a one-foot paint job or a 40 foot paint job to show for it, it will still be a good story.

Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller #37885
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline
Gusteve  Offline

Flint, MI
Quote:

My .02

Regards,
Steve

I'd have to agree. I think in the attempt to make this process as cheap as possible the primer coat has been ignored. Somewhere in one of these threads there's discussion of roll-on primers, and even a link to an industry press release talking about recommendations for body-shops to roll on primer.

If you've done any body work on your car at all, primer is a must. Bondo will suck in the first 3 or 4 coats of paint, so it takes a lot more coats to get even coverage. If you primer at least those spots first everything goes much easier.

If I was to do another car I think I would try a rolled primer approach first as a base coat.

Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller [Re: Gusteve] #37886
01/25/08 10:26 AM
01/25/08 10:26 AM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline
Gusteve  Offline

Flint, MI
Crappy before and after pics:

4136988-DSC17943.JPG (478 downloads)
Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller [Re: Gusteve] #37887
01/25/08 10:27 AM
01/25/08 10:27 AM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline
Gusteve  Offline

Flint, MI
after

4136991-DSC00290.JPG (512 downloads)
Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller [Re: Gusteve] #37888
01/25/08 11:53 AM
01/25/08 11:53 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Dude - I love those cars. Do a pic with the hood flipped open. That front hinge on the hood is really cool. Most people don't know about that.

If you've read all 3 threads, and the hot rod article, you should be good to go. Good luck with your rolling!!!

BTW - I suggest that anyone that attempts this process take the time to read all the threads. It takes a long time, but it'll save you a lot of headaches in the long run. The most commonly asked questions have been already answered.

Having said that, this is a unique experience for everyone, based on their specific car and conditions. So ask on.

If I was a jerk (don't ask my wife that question) I would propose a thread that would be a compilation of the stupidest questions one could possibly ask.

I agree that this entire thread is worth reading. Granted a lot of people keep asking the same questions over and over:

-Can I use a clearcoat?
-Why am I getting bubbles?
-What is the "roll and tip" method?
-Can I use metal flakes?
-How much do I thin X color of paint?

etc etc. Most of that was covered in the first thread, methinks.

Thanks for the props on my T Theres a website for 'em actually... http://www.lesabret.com if you want to check out some more pictures or info. They're neat cars and nobody seems to know what they are anymore. I'm about to pick up a second one here in a couple weeks as a project car too.

The flip-forward hood has brought me much joy in confusing younger mechanics when the hood doesn' open like "normal" and basically anybody when I flip the hood open at the gas station. Its also a heck of a lot easier to work on the car that way too.

Anyway, here are more pictures, as requested

Heres a couple of when I was working on it this summer

And random shots:

I have a flowmaster

Last edited by Alibi; 01/25/08 11:58 AM.
Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller #37889
01/27/08 02:48 PM
01/27/08 02:48 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I agree that this entire thread is worth reading. Granted a lot of people keep asking the same questions over and over:

-Can I use a clearcoat?
-Why am I getting bubbles?
-What is the "roll and tip" method?
-Can I use metal flakes?
-How much do I thin X color of paint?

etc etc. Most of that was covered in the first thread, methinks.

Thanks for the props on my T Theres a website for 'em actually... http://www.lesabret.com if you want to check out some more pictures or info. They're neat cars and nobody seems to know what they are anymore. I'm about to pick up a second one here in a couple weeks as a project car too.

The flip-forward hood has brought me much joy in confusing younger mechanics when the hood doesn' open like "normal" and basically anybody when I flip the hood open at the gas station. Its also a heck of a lot easier to work on the car that way too.

Anyway, here are more pictures, as requested

Heres a couple of when I was working on it this summer

And random shots:

I have a flowmaster

Alibi,

Good luck on your paintjob, that car looks like it will be easy to work on because

1. Not a lot of curves to work with, just long clean lines which will be easy to spread paint on with a roller. Very easy for you.

2. The end result will amazing if done right!

If I can suggest using "Interlux Brightside Black" paint, you will achieve amazing gloss even out of the can.

I have used the Interlux black paint on my 93 Honda Civic since last year and has had no problems to report of, amazing paint and still glossy up to this day.

Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller #37890
01/27/08 05:36 PM
01/27/08 05:36 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm still debating over what paints I'm using. I don't have any marine shops nearby so I'd have to order in some of the Brightside whereas Rustoleum is easy to get. I'm thinking about doing 6 or 7 rustoleum coats and then buying 1 small can of brightside for the last 2 or so coats just to get the extra shine.

Otherwise, I'm thinking this car will be pretty easy to paint. I'm staying with the original color so I'm not doing the engine bay, jambs, or in the trunk. And most of the trim is easy to remove. ...and my g/f is going to help me with the prep work.

Anyway, I'll post in progress pics after I get going on the project here in a couple months when warm weather comes.

Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller [Re: Gusteve] #37891
01/27/08 05:43 PM
01/27/08 05:43 PM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline OP
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline OP
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
Quote:

I'd have to agree. I think in the attempt to make this process as cheap as possible the primer coat has been ignored. Somewhere in one of these threads there's discussion of roll-on primers, and even a link to an industry press release talking about recommendations for body-shops to roll on primer.

I used rustoleums rusty metal primer in the bed of my truck and on the tailgate. I rolled it straight out of the can and it went on dead smooth, not a run, ripple,orangepeel or sag. I only wish I'd done the whole truck that way. Before painting.

Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller [Re: 69DartGT] #37892
01/27/08 05:54 PM
01/27/08 05:54 PM
south louisiana
L
lowell66dart Offline
super stock
lowell66dart  Offline
super stock
L

south louisiana
I have a 91 W250 that I am going to do sometime in February with Rustoleum Navy Blue. I found a birdbath hood and am thinking of painting it a satin black which Rustoleum has. Anyone have any experience with the satin paints. I assume you would still buff after the final coat?

2021 Dodge 2500 4WD Cummins
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Widebody
2007 Charger R/T 5.7

Re: New how to paint your car on a budget with a roller [Re: lowell66dart] #37893
01/27/08 07:13 PM
01/27/08 07:13 PM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline
Gusteve  Offline

Flint, MI
Quote:

I have a 91 W250 that I am going to do sometime in February with Rustoleum Navy Blue. I found a birdbath hood and am thinking of painting it a satin black which Rustoleum has. Anyone have any experience with the satin paints. I assume you would still buff after the final coat?

I tried real hard to get Satin to work, but I just couldn't get rid of the roller marks. I did a fender, and it looked great. When I did the rest of the car, any large panel like the hood and the roof had roller marks.

I made a valiant attempt, with 4 to 6 coats and wetsanding every two in between. It never turned out right. I ended up switching to Gloss, which came out fine.

Who's that guy that did the '69 Mach 1 in satin? His came out great.

Page 79 of 167 1 2 77 78 79 80 81 166 167