10/11/07 10:19 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

You sprayed clear over Rustoleum? Details, please. Was this Napa branded paint? Was it in a spray bomb or can? Did you rough up the rusto first? Roller, brush or spray?

People have been asking about clear-coating rusto since day one.

First some background...I can't paint.
after reading this thread for 4 days straight this spring, I thought I would give it a shot with a brush and roller. I had great results and people on the lake can't believe I didn't spray the ski. That was ski #1 below. The first ski was done just like the origional formula, sand, paint, wetsand and buff. I used a little rattle can red for the hard to reach areas.
The yellow one above is my 2nd ski I painted using the 69charger method (thanks again 69Charger).
The only thing I hated was the buffing all the curves, small areas, etc... it took a LOT of time.

So I painted the yellow ski above the exact same way but I didn't buff it. I just left it wetsanded smooth, flat and dull looking. I ran down to Napa auto and bought a quart of Nason clear and a pint of hardner and mixed a 4:1 ratio. I cleaned the ski, tacked it and shot a coat of clear. I waited about 10 minutes and shot another and the last coat was about 15 minutes after that. I can't tell you how happy I am with the results. This spring I will shoot clear over ski #1 (below) including the graphics.

Yes sir, Nason clear works fine, is cheap ($36.00 for the clear and hardner). I will spray Nason clear on my next project.
BTW, I tried spray bomb clear and hated it.

3872196-SJ1.jpg (415 downloads)
Last edited by Antwon; 10/11/07 10:24 AM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37575
10/12/07 01:50 PM
10/12/07 01:50 PM
Texas
T
texczech Offline
texczech  Offline
T

Texas
I have rolled with brightside and used penetrol & mineral spirits to thin the paint. I did not think that penetrol actually "thinned" the paint by reducing the viscosity, unless I didn't use enough. When spraying the penetrol+brightside mixture, what dilution rate did you use? I am thinking of trying to spray brightside and am wondering how much to thin brightside to get it to spray good.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37576
10/12/07 06:21 PM
10/12/07 06:21 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

rustoleum satin black, the one with the patio furniture on the can.

Sweet!!, I'm still loving my Satin Job as well. Looks MEAN.

Help w/ 6th coat of Brightside on my truck #37577
10/12/07 07:18 PM
10/12/07 07:18 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm going to be applying my 6th and last coat of Brightside tomorrow morning. I've used a 5% dilution w/ 333 for the last 3 coats (10% for the first 2). I've read that for best gloss the last coat should be undiluted. What is the downside to doing this? Are there more problems with lines? Is there anything I should know before doing this

My 5th coat is pictured.

thanks,

Mitch

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37578
10/13/07 01:44 PM
10/13/07 01:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So I finally started working on my car, I started sanding it down today with my Electric sander with 80 grit, because theres 4 layers of paint on this car, its really a pain in the [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean] to get to the primer, so I tried using a belt sander with 80 grit again and it worked well, but in some places I actually got to the baremetal and now I see shiney spots all over

Do I have to primer the car where I reached baremetal or can I just use Tremclad paint right away

Thanks

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37579
10/13/07 02:15 PM
10/13/07 02:15 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Actually one more question

Do I even have to sand the whole car to the last paint layer...Can I just use 80 to roughly go over the car and then 220 and call it a day

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: texczech] #37580
10/13/07 09:28 PM
10/13/07 09:28 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I have rolled with brightside and used penetrol & mineral spirits to thin the paint. I did not think that penetrol actually "thinned" the paint by reducing the viscosity, unless I didn't use enough. When spraying the penetrol+brightside mixture, what dilution rate did you use? I am thinking of trying to spray brightside and am wondering how much to thin brightside to get it to spray good.

I used what is recommended on the Penetrol Can: 30%

Re: Help w/ 6th coat of Brightside on my truck #37581
10/14/07 08:36 AM
10/14/07 08:36 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I'm going to be applying my 6th and last coat of Brightside tomorrow morning. I've used a 5% dilution w/ 333 for the last 3 coats (10% for the first 2). I've read that for best gloss the last coat should be undiluted. What is the downside to doing this? Are there more problems with lines? Is there anything I should know before doing this

Gee, 6 coats? I did my car in white with 4!
Lines--you mean lines from the roller edge? That's too much paint going on to the surface in one place. What I do to combat that is if I get a line, I go over the spot with the roller repeatedly applying very little pressure until the paint spreads out. The idea here is to not add any more paint to the surface, just work out what you've got on it.
I have diluted all of my coats about 10% and wound up with excellent gloss. I would be hesitant to not dilute at all for the final coat because I think the brushing liquid aids the paint in laying flat and hiding your brush strokes. I've gotten excellent results on most of my panels with few brush strokes and only minor orange peel. The gloss level is extremely high.

Re: Help w/ 6th coat of Brightside on my truck #37582
10/14/07 06:23 PM
10/14/07 06:23 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks. Maybe if I had primed better I would have been able to get by with fewer coats. I don't think I was using much paint b/c I had to push fairly hard on the roller to get it to coat the surface. Also I was painting on mornings that were ~ 55-60 (and the truck was probably cooler), this may have thickened the paint some.

I had problems trying to paint some of the less accessible areas well with the foam brush. Thought maybe one could cut a roller, so that it length is reduced by about 3/4. Cut the metal arm also and use this modified setup for those places.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread #37583
10/14/07 06:32 PM
10/14/07 06:32 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Picture of primed car

mitch

Last edited by 69DartGT; 10/14/07 07:21 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37584
10/14/07 08:27 PM
10/14/07 08:27 PM
N.Wilkesboro,NC
D
DusterKrazy Offline
master
DusterKrazy  Offline
master
D

N.Wilkesboro,NC
I hope you are done with that paint on the mustang! It looks to mean to mess with! This is what my charger will look like!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37585
10/15/07 03:45 PM
10/15/07 03:45 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

hey what color red did u use? and does it have an "orange" shade to it or is it like a deep dark red? thanks

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: DusterKrazy] #37586
10/15/07 08:52 PM
10/15/07 08:52 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Keeping it like it is, I love the satin look, and people actually think it is a "final" paint job. Maybe once I fall into a few grand I'll paint it proper. I'm kinda bored of "nice" paint jobs, every yuppie baby-boomer has one.

Quote:

I hope you are done with that paint on the mustang! It looks to mean to mess with! This is what my charger will look like!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37587
10/16/07 07:38 AM
10/16/07 07:38 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The last coat...everything looking beautiful...and then I pulled the tape off:

Expletive, expletive, expetive.
I know what happened: I got water under the tape from the wet sanding, and it caused the paint to lift. It's pretty apparent on the opposite fender. I have this bit of happiness to deal with on 3 of my panels.

Presently, I'm resisting the urge to set the car on fire.
Anyone performed any repairs on their finish yet? I'm wondering what the best way to go about this is. My thought is to DA this nightmare and try to feather the paint edge, then maybe just apply a coat or two on the area with the foam brush until I get coverage, wet sand it (NO TAPE!) and then roll on the final two coats.
Marq? You out there?
Aside from this tremendously deflating disaster, the car actually looks pretty darn sweet (before pulling off the tape/plastic):

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37588
10/16/07 12:59 PM
10/16/07 12:59 PM
Lake George
B
blue195 Offline
blue195  Offline
B

Lake George
All I can say is don't give up! I had a setback when I final sanded a corner right through to the prime. I didn't realize that 1500 grit sandpaper on a corner is disaster in the waiting. And like you, mine was where the two colors meet, so I had to feather and repaint both colors.

But I kept trudging along, and today I have met my golas: I set out for a 5 foot paint job for under $250, and I got an OEM equivalent paint job for a little over $300.00 including the body putty and tools.

Hate to say it, but you gotta bust out the sandpaper and primer and get at it again. But do yourself a favor and DO NOT HURRY!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37589
10/16/07 02:40 PM
10/16/07 02:40 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

so sorry to see this !

One word of advice:
use BLUE tape !
It comes off easier, maybe avoiding this very thing.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37590
10/16/07 05:11 PM
10/16/07 05:11 PM
Ontario, Canada
78D150CLUB Offline
My avatar is a self portrait!!
78D150CLUB  Offline
My avatar is a self portrait!!

Ontario, Canada
I found that wiping the tape with a cloth dampened in mineral spirits as you removed it helped as well. Once you get the tape lifted at one end, wipe the adhesive side in the direction you are removing the tape.

3884442-d29.jpg (223 downloads)

I want to die like my Grampa, peacefully, in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37591
10/16/07 08:10 PM
10/16/07 08:10 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

The last coat...everything looking beautiful...and then I pulled the tape off:

Sheeet happens. But not all is lost. The beauty of your paint job is that you can simply re-roll the area back up to level of the rest of the panel... with appropriate sanding between coats to work the edges together. And once you get it up to a point where it has successfully merged physically and visually... just go and give a light sanding to the entire section and lay one final coat over the section being worked on.

That is one of the nice things about the roller method... in that booboo's like this are completely within your ability to repair. No need to rush to the body shop where such a booboo on a 'real paint' job would cost $800 bucks or more to repair. Instead, you take a little time, your handy tray of paint and your trusty roller and you can remedy the booboo yourself.

But I must admit it is a bit of a bummer when something boggles up what appears to be an otherwise successful paint.

But also think of it this way... booboo's happen in parking lots where some lunkhead might back into a door and scrape the paint... or some jerko kids might run a key on your paint job. The difference now is that it is just going to cost you a bit of time to remedy instead of having to take out a bank loan to restore things back to the level you had it at prior to the booboo.

One thing you should take note of :

a ) don't ever use that brand of body tape again. It sounds like it has a nasty and unforgiving adhesion. Get the good stuff through a body shop jobber or auto parts depot. Don't buy any automotive tape that says 'Made in China' or 'Made in Mexico'

b ) I agree with the other suggestion about running a cloth dampened with mineral spirits on it to try to weaken the adhesion of the tape. BUT sometimes the outer layer of the tape is fairly impermeable, even by mineral spirit. In that case you have two possible alternatives...

a ) leave the car out in the bright hot sun and hopefully the heat of the sun will weaken the adhesion factor of the tape... OR
b ) take your wife's blow dryer and gently heat up the tape as you try to remove it. Again the idea being to lessen the bond of the tape to the paint.

Good luck...

marq

Last edited by Marq; 10/16/07 08:15 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #37592
10/16/07 08:44 PM
10/16/07 08:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ya I've had that same thing happen to me once I was painting my Civic (paint coming off cuz of tape).

I was using this green painters tape that was good for 8 days it claimed. As you did, I wetsanding and painted with that tape on all the time, what a big mistake.

Things to take note of...

1. You better peel the tape off slowly once you are done painting. Because once I pulled, the paint started to rip at every edge where the tape was. Thats why when you look at my edges, some of the paint is stripped.

I still have to final wetsand and final polish next summer so it will be gone by then.

I painted this summer and wanted to polish this summer also, but along came school so final polishing I will do next summer since theres no point as it feels like Winter.

Good luck! Looks good thus far!

2. Dont wetsand, wash the car with the tape still on, its disaster waiting to happen.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37593
10/16/07 10:05 PM
10/16/07 10:05 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i have found that you can clear the rustoleum with automotive clear coat (KIRKER) for more protection

Page 64 of 167 1 2 62 63 64 65 66 166 167