10/08/07 08:15 PM
10/08/07 08:15 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Last edited by Wile1coyote; 10/09/07 04:40 AM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37555
10/08/07 09:23 PM
10/08/07 09:23 PM
Virginia
T
tett Offline
tett  Offline
T

Virginia
Well, I have some thoughts on Mr. Slade's thoughts. In some parts, I agree. I do agree that spraying is faster. I do agree that spraying is less sanding and elbow grease. And I do agree that spraying is not rocket science either. I have also been to Slade's website prior to discovering the roller method.

But, there are several reasons that I so much enjoyed this roller method. To begin with, I was actually willing to do the roller method. I do not have a garage, just a shed. Having painted the exterior of the shed itself with an airless sprayer, my shoes and the plants all around the shed have a vivid understanding of the term overspray. I wasn't willing to take the steps necessary to prevent that again. I do not know anyone with a gun/compressor setup to borrow, and I didn't feel like renting one. Call me irrational, it doesn't bother me. It's my right as an American, and not worth getting upset over. I mean, there are people out there who bought AMC Pacers and more power to them. What I did have on hand was an old door I borrowed from my cousin, a 12 x 12 shed, and the financial ability to purchase the less than $50 worth of material to paint the door. Also, I already had a Porter Cable Polisher, and given the method, got plenty of opportunities to use it as both a sander and a polisher.

This method worked very well for me. I learned a lot about paint, a lot about prep work, a lot about polishing, and a lot about sanding. I really like not having to mask off the whole garage and my face so I don't get paint in my nostrils. It just suits my schedule also, though I could get spraying to suit the schedule also. More than anything, I am now confident that if I wanted to spray, I could do so. Painting is not magic, but you would think it is by the way some people talk about it.

Case in point: I posted a question about filler elsewhere on this board as I was prepping the door. I even put in the thread that it was for a practice door. I don't even have a car I'm going to paint. One of the responses I got was, to paraphrase as best I remember, "Have you ever painted a car before? Let someone else do it." Trying to be helpful, I'm sure, but I just wanted to do it myself. How else do you learn to do something?

Plenty of folks on here have not liked rolling. Supercobra Sergio is the most recent one I can think of because he posts those nice looking pics. He likes spraying better and we like his results. I like your results too, Mr. Slade. I also recall David Thompson did not like the time necessary to do this and ended up spraying his car and liking the results. Many of the points Thompson made I agree with. I also remember a guy with a Grand National who sprayed. One nice thing is that most everyone is getting off their butt and putting some paint on.

You mention Rick Wrench's site in order to get the "whole story". His page also mentions that he is sold-very- on this method of application. It works for him.

So, I did something I probably would not have done otherwise because of the information here, and someday I may spray too, depending on my circumstances. If that makes me a lemming, then I've learned a lot as a lemming and choose to remain one while I pick up some other skills I want to learn.

Spray on,

Tett

Last edited by tett; 10/08/07 09:28 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: tett] #37556
10/08/07 10:44 PM
10/08/07 10:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I've been reading many pages from this thread series. My 300D has a pretty bad sunburn going on, so I'm getting ready to try this for myself.

Major question though!
How long should I wait after polishing/waxing to drive the car?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37557
10/08/07 11:18 PM
10/08/07 11:18 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

In regards to the popular $50 Rustoleum method, Why anyone would actually want to do this-- knowing anything about the labor involved, and the durability of non-automotive paint to cover a vehicle-- well, I just can't quite understand.

Here is my main page

Spam alert . For only $9.95 Neil will send you the secrets to painting a car...

Thanks for the heads up, Neil.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37558
10/08/07 11:24 PM
10/08/07 11:24 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

After polishing/waxing? - Drive it immediately.

After painting, however, you may want to wait until the paint cures before you sand, polish, wax or drive it. Exactly how long will depend on a combination of the temperature, and humidity of the air it dries in.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37559
10/08/07 11:57 PM
10/08/07 11:57 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

After polishing/waxing? - Drive it immediately.

After painting, however, you may want to wait until the paint cures before you sand, polish, wax or drive it. Exactly how long will depend on a combination of the temperature, and humidity of the air it dries in.

Hmm, ok.
I was gathering from charger's posts that the time between the last paint coat and wetsanding would only be about as long as it took the paint to dry. (24 hours?) Then I also remember reading that the paint doesn't fully HARDEN for 2 or 3 months.

I live in Florida so I guess I'm at a disadvantage, eh? I can wait for up to a week before driving, but hopefully no longer.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37560
10/09/07 01:01 AM
10/09/07 01:01 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I live in Canada, and it gets pretty cold here, specially during the night

How long should i be expecting to wait until i'll be able to drive the car after the last coat?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37561
10/09/07 07:58 AM
10/09/07 07:58 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Slightly OT: I don't get the haters. If someone wants to spray their car, good for them. It is the better method. Not everyone has the money, tools or equipment to do that. These 3 threads have proven that rolling is a viable alternative, and convinced me to give it a whirl, and I've sprayed cars in the past. I like rolling.

Back OT: the paint needs time to cure, which pretty much means the solvents have to evaporate and allow the finish to harden. The bulk of this will take place over 24 hrs, but complete hardening will take weeks to accomplish. More heat means faster drying time. Remember, body shops use heat lamps and ovens to 'bake' the finish. So your Florida M-B should be ready to drive within 24-48 hrs. However, you won't want to wax or polish the finish for probably 2-3 months. Waxing it will seal the paint, and you don't want that right away as it's still going to be evaporating solvents for awhile.

As for way up north, I'd keep the thing in a heated environment for the 24 hr period (or a little longer and keep it as warm as possible to speed the initial curing.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: tett] #37562
10/09/07 08:38 AM
10/09/07 08:38 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My thoughts exactly and then some. The hardest (and most frustrating) part of the roller painting method is experimenting and getting the right mix and right 'feel' for applying the paint.

I am on week 2 of my project and after 6 coats and 6 wet sandings have finally started to get the hang of it. Once you do, the paint will lay on like glass and will equal and even exceed most factory or aftermarket spray jobs. If you go one 1step further, such as Aussie Driver, Marq, and others have done with the focus on polishing, your paint will be both flawless and stunning with a mirror like finish. I finally did a panel this way yesterday with compound and then polish, and was absolutely blown away with the finish. My negative neighbor who happened by and has a car being painted as we speak, ($6000.00) worth, was actually speechless.

Bottom line is this for naysayers or those who feel intimidated. It works, and it works well, and it is very inexpensive. The whole key is time and patience, and you should really practice on an old fender or deck lid before starting (I didn't).

The most rewarding part of this (other than having a spectacular paint job), is knowing I did it and there are no issues with the paint or body, and I saved $4000.00. Again, practice, practice, get frustrated, and practice, and eventually you get the hang of it. Once you do, your confidence level will soar and you CAN do this.

A few lessons learned:

1. Buy good sand paper such as 3M. Stay away from the junk Harbor Freight sells, it aint worth it.

2. If painting outside (NOT RECOMMENDED), any flying insect within 10 miles will sniff out your freshly laid paint.

3. If you get orange peel, sand and then next coat thin it down more. I had to go 75-25.

4. Wet sanding is no fun but necessary to properly prepare your vehicle for each coat.

5. After much research on these boards and other searches, I chose Brightside paint. After researching, I came to the conclusion that it is probably a better paint to use than sprayed auto paint due to its repairability, UV resistance, and Teflon additives.

6. It has cost me about $200.00 to do a very large vehicle. $140.00 for paint and $60.00 for chemicals, rollers, and sand paper.

7. Work neatly and have a well laid out area with plenty of room.

So bottom line is: stay focused, be patient, and don't be discouraged. Naysayers tend to really motivate me and take things one step further. I am
extremely pleased and self satisfied with my roller job and will post pictures early next week to hopefully motivate others who may be apprehensive about the roller method.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37563
10/09/07 08:43 AM
10/09/07 08:43 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I was gathering from charger's posts that the time between the last paint coat and wetsanding would only be about as long as it took the paint to dry. (24 hours?) Then I also remember reading that the paint doesn't fully HARDEN for 2 or 3 months.

I live in Florida so I guess I'm at a disadvantage, eh? I can wait for up to a week before driving, but hopefully no longer.

To drive, you just need to make sure that it is hard enough that bugs and such do not embed themselves easily.

Park that puppy in the Florida sun for a day or two and and I'll bet it will be hard enough to drive with.

If it still worries you, stay below 55mph. In my experience, the amount of bug strikes seem to increase exponentially for every mph faster than 55. Heh. Now, that would be a good research project...

Just give it plenty of time to fully cure before trying to seal it for the reasons mentioned above.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37564
10/09/07 02:31 PM
10/09/07 02:31 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Haha, ok that sounds good.
Thanks guys.
I'll post some pics once I get going. I recently had to get a door replaced (don't ask ), so I guess I'll do some testing on the old one.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37565
10/10/07 11:07 AM
10/10/07 11:07 AM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline
I Love the Unicorn Song!!
Gusteve  Offline

Flint, MI
OK - after months and months of sanding,rolling sanding, I think I'm done.

It's not perfect, I still have some roller marks on the hood, but I'll be able to buff these out once I let the paint cure for a month or so.

Pics:

Before:

3869489-FrontQuarter.jpg (572 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Gusteve] #37566
10/10/07 11:08 AM
10/10/07 11:08 AM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline
Gusteve  Offline

Flint, MI
After:

3869490-DSC00295.JPG (596 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Gusteve] #37567
10/10/07 09:16 PM
10/10/07 09:16 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Congrats, Steve, looks good. Nice gloss. Is that Rustoleum or Brightside?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37568
10/10/07 11:00 PM
10/10/07 11:00 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I wanted to share my project, Rustoleum #2 water coop.
Before pic.

3871501-M4100061.JPG (511 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37569
10/10/07 11:02 PM
10/10/07 11:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And after 1/2 quart of Rust-oleum Yellow with brush and roller, cheapo $9.00 gravity gun and 3 coats of Nason (Napa, get the good stuff place) clear.
Thanks again to all who have posted and helped me.

3871510-M4100031.JPG (531 downloads)
Last edited by Antwon; 10/10/07 11:07 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37570
10/10/07 11:09 PM
10/10/07 11:09 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

One more pic to show the results that the clear added.

3871520-M4100034.JPG (521 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: tett] #37571
10/11/07 12:46 AM
10/11/07 12:46 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Well, I have some thoughts on Mr. Slade's thoughts. In some parts, I agree. I do agree that spraying is faster. I do agree that spraying is less sanding and elbow grease. And I do agree that spraying is not rocket science either. I have also been to Slade's website prior to discovering the roller method.

Plenty of folks on here have not liked rolling. Supercobra Sergio is the most recent one I can think of because he posts those nice looking pics. He likes spraying better and we like his results. I like your results too, Mr. Slade. I also recall David Thompson did not like the time necessary to do this and ended up spraying his car and liking the results. Many of the points Thompson made I agree with. I also remember a guy with a Grand National who sprayed. One nice thing is that most everyone is getting off their butt and putting some paint on.

Spray on,

Tett

I did try the roller method, I found it to be fine, I am sure I could get the hang of it after some practice, keep in mind that I have never painted anything before in my life, (well, except when using a few spray cans to paint the engine bay), but nothing mayor.

I already had a small compressor, I just went to Harbour freight, looked around and bought the cheapest HVLP gun there (11 dollars).... willing to give it a try just to make the painting process faster, started painting a few other things and found that it goes on much easier than rolling.
I also painted all these items and the Car outside on my driveway, with the first coats of Rustoleum (remember I am putting 2 coats of Rusto and then 3 coats of Brightside ontop of the rustoleum after wetsanding it, then wetsanding it again, 1000-1500-2000), I was getting a few mosquitoes around after painting with Rusto but no bugs when I sprayed Brightside, I figured what is happening: Mosquitoes get attracted by the Mineral spirits but not by the Penetrol, I use Mineral spirits to dilute the Rusto and Penetrol to dilute the Brightside. There's not a lot of overspray, the HVLP gun does a neat job of directing very small amounts of paint onto the car's surface, very very small quantities of paint, I needed to put 2 coats of Rustoleum and 3 coats of brightside, then after wetsanding in the wrong places (edges) I had to go and put another coat just over those spots.

Again, I do like the rolling method BUT I have 3 cars to paint and not enough time to work on them ! so Spraying is a lot easier (for me).
I am almost done with the Mustang, next is the Legacy GT (going ALL black on that one) and the Big Suburban (gonna do a 2 color paintjob on it).
On these 2 vehicles I am staying with ALL Rustoleum to make it cheaper, but I am going to dilute it with Penetrol instead of MS. (Have to do a test first, see how it flows).

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37572
10/11/07 05:24 AM
10/11/07 05:24 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You sprayed clear over Rustoleum? Details, please. Was this Napa branded paint? Was it in a spray bomb or can? Did you rough up the rusto first? Roller, brush or spray?

People have been asking about clear-coating rusto since day one.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37573
10/11/07 08:54 AM
10/11/07 08:54 AM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline
Gusteve  Offline

Flint, MI
Quote:

Congrats, Steve, looks good. Nice gloss. Is that Rustoleum or Brightside?

Rustoleum.

I have good gloss everywhere except the hood, but I think it will buff out fine.

Page 63 of 167 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 166 167