10/04/07 05:06 PM
10/04/07 05:06 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I can tell my paint (brightside) is beginning to cure just fine. I will be attempting to polish soon. Cant wait to see what it looks like afterwards!

Lots of people have been amazed.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37535
10/04/07 05:44 PM
10/04/07 05:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37536
10/04/07 08:10 PM
10/04/07 08:10 PM
Edgerton WI
D
Donny O. Offline
Donny O.  Offline
D

Edgerton WI
the-roc is looking good!!! whole lot better than it was!!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37537
10/04/07 08:30 PM
10/04/07 08:30 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Bravo TehMike! Bravo!

3856114-roc.JPG (175 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37538
10/04/07 09:58 PM
10/04/07 09:58 PM
AZ
H
Harlow383 Offline
super stock
Harlow383  Offline
super stock
H

AZ
After reading this thread I decided to try the roller route. I just needed some paint on the roof so I could put the vinyl on so I thought it would be a good chance to try it out. I put on the first coat this morning. the pictures hide all the flaws it didn't look as good in person. I'll keep you all posted. Thats my dad laying down the paint.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Harlow383] #37539
10/04/07 10:33 PM
10/04/07 10:33 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Has anyone tried to put metal flake in their paint? I have a dune buggy I am painting and wondered if it's possible?

I know House of Kolors sells metal flake for integrating into spray paint jobs, just wondering if it would work for this process?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37540
10/05/07 01:14 AM
10/05/07 01:14 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm curious about using tremclad clearcoat at the end with metalic flake in it. I'm not paint pro I'm starting from the bottom and learning from the internet how to do almost all of it. But it sounds like it would make sense to me.

Here's the 3rd coat:

Here's a direct shot:

You can see my dumb mistake in the direct shot. A fairly large piece of "fluff" landed on the paint right before I took the picture. It had already been on there for around 6 hours. It's pretty much dry but without thinking I swiped my fingers across it and left the rub marks.

So far the only way you can see the imperfections is if you get within 5 feet of the car and you look straight at it. From the side it looks amazing! It will definately be worth the investment if my whole car turns out this good. With the improvements I'm making from learning as I go this might just turn out really good.

A test piece is definately a must. I'm a little worried about runs. I haven't done anything vertical yet. We'll see how that goes on the car.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37541
10/05/07 10:50 AM
10/05/07 10:50 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Metallics don't work with a roller. The metallic elements need to be evenly distributed throughout the coat for it to look right. With a roller, the particles will inevitably end up at the edges of each roller stroke, leaving a stripey effect. trying to even them out will likely make it worse as you'll end up overworking the paint. It gets even worse on vertical panels, as gravity drags the paricles down.
When they're sprayed, the paint is dry enough when it hits the panel to prevent them flowing, and to keep them in place.

Even when sprayed, it's easy to get a tiger-stripe effect with metallics, with the edges of each spray stroke becoming visible if the strokes aren't just the right weight.

Metalflakes may act differently - as the flakes are larger than regular metallics/pearls, maybe they'll be less inclined to stripe, but I somehow doubt it.

With any flake job, you've got to put on a LOT of clearcoat to cover the flakes, and a LOT of wetsanding to flatten it all back again.

As with anything - maybe try a small test panel first and see how it works. Make sure you do it horizontally and vertically to get the different effects of gravity on the paint.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37542
10/05/07 10:00 PM
10/05/07 10:00 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

well,
I am polishing now the top, I did a test on the cowl a few days ago and it looks awesome!

Pictures:

polishing the roof

polishing test panel

and this will be the NEXT car to be get a few coats of Paint, and the Suburban behind will be after that:

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37543
10/07/07 01:30 AM
10/07/07 01:30 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hi, I have been really wanting to do this, but I have been on a really tight schedule

But finally I have 8 days off and would love to get started on my Jetta

But I am wondering if it is even possible to do this in 8 days

I have all the supplies ready, Just need to start sanding my car and apply around 6 coats

How long would that take?

Thanks ( amazing thread btw )

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37544
10/07/07 08:57 AM
10/07/07 08:57 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am using Brightside, so YMMV.
It takes me about an hour to an hour and a half to do half my car (this is because I'm doing 2 tone). The application process isn't that bad, because you have to work pretty quickly and constantly with the roller/brush method. I can basically do it in an evening with no trouble. Sanding between coats probably takes the same amount of time, depending on how much you need to do. So I sand, then wash the car and let it dry as long as possible to it gets out of the crevices. Maybe do that in the AM. After lunch, paint the car. Let it dry 24 hours, then repeat. Depending on the paint and methods used, you may not have to sand between every coat, so 8 days really shouldn't be a problem. This, of course, depends on how much prep work you have to do prior in dent/rust repairs or removing dead clearcoat. Sanding the entire car with a DA and removing the clear from the top surfaces, masking, removing trim parts, etc was probably 2-3 evenings of work. Then I spent another week of evenings fixing dents and stuff and trying to get things as straight as possible. THAT is the time consuming part, and depends on your level of perfectionism as to how nice you want the car to look. This is the part you should spend the most time on for the best results. I find the paint application process much easier.
If you use Brightside, the extreme gloss will amplify every flaw in the body. Panels I thought were straight, aren't. In my case, it's just a road race car and will probably get dented up anyway, but for a street car I can't emphasize the bodywork stage enough if you're going to be particular and want it to look like, say ChargerYeehaw's car.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37545
10/07/07 12:15 PM
10/07/07 12:15 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Pictures outside, paint has been wetsanded to 2000 grit, polished the top and one cowl panel, will polish it completely soon.

I still have to prepare and paint the tail spoiler and front section of the car.

Last edited by SuperCobra4Me; 10/07/07 12:17 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37546
10/07/07 01:26 PM
10/07/07 01:26 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I am using Brightside, so YMMV.
It takes me about an hour to an hour and a half to do half my car (this is because I'm doing 2 tone). The application process isn't that bad, because you have to work pretty quickly and constantly with the roller/brush method. I can basically do it in an evening with no trouble. Sanding between coats probably takes the same amount of time, depending on how much you need to do. So I sand, then wash the car and let it dry as long as possible to it gets out of the crevices. Maybe do that in the AM. After lunch, paint the car. Let it dry 24 hours, then repeat. Depending on the paint and methods used, you may not have to sand between every coat, so 8 days really shouldn't be a problem. This, of course, depends on how much prep work you have to do prior in dent/rust repairs or removing dead clearcoat. Sanding the entire car with a DA and removing the clear from the top surfaces, masking, removing trim parts, etc was probably 2-3 evenings of work. Then I spent another week of evenings fixing dents and stuff and trying to get things as straight as possible. THAT is the time consuming part, and depends on your level of perfectionism as to how nice you want the car to look. This is the part you should spend the most time on for the best results. I find the paint application process much easier.
If you use Brightside, the extreme gloss will amplify every flaw in the body. Panels I thought were straight, aren't. In my case, it's just a road race car and will probably get dented up anyway, but for a street car I can't emphasize the bodywork stage enough if you're going to be particular and want it to look like, say ChargerYeehaw's car.

Thanks alot man, that really helped

I'm just wondering, Don't you have to wait 24 hours for the paint to dry before you wet sand?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37547
10/07/07 03:42 PM
10/07/07 03:42 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

WOW !

after using PoorBoys swirl remover 3, I am amazed !
I still have to use the softer swirl removers, waxes and sealant and I am truly impressed now.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37548
10/08/07 07:38 AM
10/08/07 07:38 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I'm just wondering, Don't you have to wait 24 hours for the paint to dry before you wet sand?

Yes, I strongly suggest waiting 24 hrs, though I've been able to wet sand after the manufacturer suggested 18 hrs. It depends somewhat on the climate you're working in, and if you can let the thing 'bake' out in the sunshine after the tackiness is gone (do it before, and you'll gain many new surface variables called bugs, grass and general debris).

Sergio, that Mustang looks amazing. You do good work.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37549
10/08/07 08:35 AM
10/08/07 08:35 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hello Everyone! I have a few questions since I started my paint job a few weeks ago. I finally got my paint to lay down like glass with a mirror like finish, BUT, if was approx. 75% mineral spirits and 25% Brightside. After reading everyone else's posts about 10% mix or even right out of the can, I thought this was excesssive. Anything above this mix (which I stumbled on by accident) leaves orange peel. FYI, I am in Florida and it has been hot and humid. Also, I am on coat 8 with wet sanding in between all coats.

Thanks for all the great posts!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37550
10/08/07 03:01 PM
10/08/07 03:01 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I cant find any Sandpaper anywhere

Rona doesnt have anything higher than 600

Home depot is the same deal

Lordco sell all the papers but in Packages which cost 5$ each

Where did you guys buy your sand paper??? I should of started sanding down the car about 2 hours ago

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37551
10/08/07 04:19 PM
10/08/07 04:19 PM
Virginia
T
tett Offline
tett  Offline
T

Virginia
RCCS,

I used Rustoleum, but AussieDriver had good luck as well with adding Penetrol to the mixture. My mixture of paint to Penetrol was 50/50 with a touch (unmeasured) of mineral spirits. This was for Rustoleum, mind you, so Brightside may not need any mineral spirits. I can't say enough about Penetrol. I got it at Home Depot. I believe Poorbugr (or something similar) discovered it back in the first thread and it was well worth it for me. I live in Virginia and when I was painting it was hot and humid like it probably is in Florida... I did paint in the shade so I'm sure that helped.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: tett] #37552
10/08/07 04:32 PM
10/08/07 04:32 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks for the input Tett.

I too have used the Penetrol but probably was not mixing enough in. Probably 10% or so and then some mineral spirits. I was a little hesitant to mix more than 10% of anything due to the directions on the can of Brightside, but 75% mix with mineral spirits seems to work best.

My biggest concern was lack of gloss or durability by thinning the paint so much, but after a good wet sanding it seems to be holding on very well.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37553
10/08/07 05:04 PM
10/08/07 05:04 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I could only find the sandpaper at auto body suppliers or better auto parts stores. I had to buy a 5 sheet pack, but I'll probably use all of it. Hardware and home improvement stores don't seem to carry it as it's not really useful for woodworking.

Page 62 of 167 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 166 167