HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

Quote:

If you read the first post you will see where the guy states he is NOT looking to do a concours resto.

He also says that he will be doing the majority of the mechanicals. So with that said, don't you think that is the majority of a concours resto? The body and paint is just that, body and paint. Anyone can paint a car and get the overspray on the undercarriage, or just spray the whole undercarriage if that is what is requested.
The key is getting someone that will do the metal work properly and get the car straight and lay down some slick color, or lay down some original peely color. Only a few places are capable of doing work that will last by doing it right and not cutting corners. Concours or not.

Good point, however.....

The problem with having any paint and body guy do the job is that there are way too many details that will probably be overlooked that go beyond things like just actual sheen and overspray patterns. They just aren't going to know which items are to be painted and which colors. Other items that are to be plated and also proper use of fasteners in the proper locations. If they put the fenders on with generic hardware, and then paint the car,well, now you have a mess that is not easily remedied. You need someone who is 100% sure of these items and only someone who has done this before will really know. If you feel 100% sure that YOU know what is right and wrong, and the body guy doesn't mind you meddling and directing him every step of the way, then have at it. Otherwise, it's best to leave it to those who really have an understsnding of the esoteric details. This is especially true of a car with the provenance of an R code Cuda.

I did a driver type resto on a '69 Charger last year for a local guy that had a collision shop do the work. The total bill for the body and paint job(including stripping the entire car top and bottom, replacing quarters with aftermarket pcs, and replace trunk floor and patch some areas of the floors), was 12K. They even partially assembled the interior and installed the glass and trim. Just as I stated, they misassembled some things that had to be redone and most of the original hardware was replaced with generic stuff, but the actual body looked pretty nice and straight and would be acceptable for just about anyone. He was happy with it and wasn't too nuts about the small details, so I guess it's all good.

Good enough for an R code Cuda?? I say no.

MB

Re: 70 Hemi Cuda Restoration [Re: HPMike] #374238
07/14/09 11:30 PM
07/14/09 11:30 PM
New Jersey
B
bajaracerx Offline OP
bajaracerx  Offline OP
B

New Jersey
I want to thank everyone for their response. The responses are very insightful and have provided many leads for me to follow up.
The body is rusted in many areas and will require extensive body work.
Though I want to driver, I won't sacrifice the esoteric details for an R code cuda. I don't have the time to research the correct color schemes, fasteners, plating etc. I have some knowledge of these items, but will rely heavily on the shop to provide the guidance on correct assembly.
I spent the last 5 years trying to collect NOS or date code correct items for the resto.

Any additional guidance is highly appreciated.
I attached a scan of the broadcast sheet for reference.

Re: 70 Hemi Cuda Restoration [Re: bajaracerx] #374239
07/15/09 12:45 AM
07/15/09 12:45 AM
MAIne
M
MoparABE Offline
MoparABE  Offline
M

MAIne
You might also try Mike Mancini in Rhode Island, I have had dealings with him, superb quality and he's up front about costs. 508-932-1349 Tell him John from Maine sent you.

Re: 70 Hemi Cuda Restoration [Re: bajaracerx] #374240
07/31/09 11:35 PM
07/31/09 11:35 PM
Greenville, N.C.
BarrsRestoration Offline
enthusiast
BarrsRestoration  Offline
enthusiast

Greenville, N.C.
Quote:

I want to thank everyone for their response. The responses are very insightful and have provided many leads for me to follow up.
The body is rusted in many areas and will require extensive body work.
Though I want to driver, I won't sacrifice the esoteric details for an R code cuda. I don't have the time to research the correct color schemes, fasteners, plating etc. I have some knowledge of these items, but will rely heavily on the shop to provide the guidance on correct assembly.
I spent the last 5 years trying to collect NOS or date code correct items for the resto.

Any additional guidance is highly appreciated.
I attached a scan of the broadcast sheet for reference.

Even though we can and often do produce award winning turn-key restorations, we also have customers who want to handle some of the mechanical or assembly stuff themselves after the body and paint are finished. That's not a problem. We also recognize that nut-and-bolt exact restorations are not for everyone. That's why we don't flinch if the customer wants a 5-speed, headers, aluminum radiator, custom paint, etc.
Tell us what you want, and we can build it. BTW, we have customers from all along the East coast and can provide references. Enclosed transportation is also available to or from the shop, located here in North Carolina.

Feel free to give Walt Clark a call @ 252-758-6400 and talk with him about your car.

Steve at www.clarkclassic.com

5389822-100_4431a.jpg (39 downloads)
Re: 70 Hemi Cuda Restoration [Re: BarrsRestoration] #374241
08/01/09 03:05 AM
08/01/09 03:05 AM
Southeast Virginia
68jim Offline
super stock
68jim  Offline
super stock

Southeast Virginia
I can follow up to what Steve just posted about customers wanting to do their own assembly after paint and bodywork. I visited their shop and talked over my project before I made the decision to go with them. All I wanted was to drop off the shell and get it back painted with the "overspray look" underneath. I also provided enough seals and mechanicals (latches, etc.) to allow safe transport back to my house (about 3 hours). I was extremely happy with the results and the turn around time was good. The best part was the reassembly that I did mostly myself. Some may think that part is a pain but I had a great time and had the pride in the accomplishment when finished.
This forum is a great first step in your decision making process. It was my first step as well.

http://www.clarkclassic.com/mygallery/index.asp?CatID=31

You can see at the website what condition I dropped it off and what it looked like as I picked it up.

Jim
68 Hemi Road Runner

5390079-P2010079.JPG (52 downloads)
Page 2 of 2 1 2