07/14/07 05:20 PM
07/14/07 05:20 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thank you very much for your research, much appreciated really. I have been searching around for about two weeks and spoken to numerous people in Poland. There is a “distributor” for Rustolium but they won’t import what I want? Top Secret are looking for distributors and Interlux sent me a list of Polish outlets, but all the phone numbers were unobtainable. Later Interlux sent me two further numbers, one unobtainable the other a guy who told me to call him on Monday, who knows if that could bring a result?
In the meantime I am experimenting with a Polish product called Cynkal made by Malexim, their specification sheet, (In Polish), is at this address

http://www.malexim.pl/www/zdjecie.php?id=28&rodzaj=2

I looked at the specification sheet for Rustoleum, it seems quite different to this Polish stuff? What I will do is send the Rustoleum MSDS to Malexim and ask them if they have a product that’s close to the Rustoleum, they have a lot of products in their range.
The Cynkal I have applied four coats today, using their thinner it sets rock hard in about 3 hours, even hard enough to wetsand. It flashes a bit quickly but is manageable given a bit of forethought as to how to apply the stuff, and with the foam roller and about a 50/50 mix doesn’t orange peel or bubble. I’m just playing with this stuff but who knows it might be perfect if I can get a gloss on it with polishing? I tried it at first with mineral spirits and it wasn’t hard after 24 hours and still gave off a strong odor of the spirits after that time. So I’ve opted for their thinners just for this exercise. Anyway it’s allowing me to build a familiarity with rolling thin coats and wetsanding.
There is a gloss Hammerite here, all I have managed to find out by searching are a few claims that it fades after a year or two, but who knows? It also contains silicon and someone mentioned this can cause “problems”, but what problems they didn’t say?
I’m certainly not wanting to re-invent the wheel here, so if I can get Brightside I’ll go for it. What stops me from obtaining Rustoleum’s “Combi Colour”, as it’s sold in the UK, is that it’s $53 for 2.5 lts. and I’d have to pay $100+ for transport to Poland making it over $200 a gallon.
So that’s my story so far, and I know I’ll find something, one way or another, and I’ll get it on my car too, I’m totally determined. It would just be nice to drop on the right paint at the right price otherwise I seriously doubt it would be a $50 paint job.
Thanks for your help Black Mariah, now I have the Rustoleum MSDS I have another tool to use

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #37095
07/14/07 07:01 PM
07/14/07 07:01 PM
WA State
Roadster_wa Offline
Roadster_wa  Offline

WA State
Quote:

the orange, both tremclad and rustoleum are the same color from what i've seen, but it's really close to "hemi" orange, almost identical. But orange is a funny color to take pic of, it's funny, even with a high end camera, you can take pics 1 after another, and the 2 pics look different in color. But like Marq said, you could eaisly experiment with mixing colors and once you get the ratio's down, I'm sure you could get the exact color you want.

I went to two hardware stores and couldn't find the orange rustoleum. There is a ford dealer on the corner not to far from the house. As soon as I get the orange, I'll snag a pamphlet or a paint code from them to See how close I can get it.

Here is my concept pic:

3631683-H1c.jpg (405 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Roadster_wa] #37096
07/15/07 01:19 PM
07/15/07 01:19 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hi, I've spent hours reading through the lists and was wondering if what was ultimately determined to be the best methods/materials have been condensed in a FAQ?

For example I'm still not clear if the std Rustoleum is a poor choice relative to the Professional product, best mineral spirits mixing ratio etc?

thanks

My 240sx #37097
07/15/07 02:36 PM
07/15/07 02:36 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Fellow red s13 owners, Rustoleum Sunrise Red is almost a d@mn near perfect match for your factory paint. Here is a post I put up on a nissan forum.

Just the rear quarters which were rusted and severely faded when I got it. (no wax would save it, trust me)

Q&A:

Q1. Did you take your time?
A1. No - and if you did you would have WAY better results. I have a wife and 3 kids, so my time is limited on being in the garage for hours on end.

Q2. Are you happy with the results?
A2. Yes, looks a HECK of alot better than it did before!

Q3. Was it easy?
A3. Yes, but I hate body work, and fixin around wheel wells is not fun for novices. Its not glass smooth but I'm ok with it. For application of paint, very straight forward.

It's not showroom finish. If the car passed by on the street you wouldn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Up close you can see it. But, I have not wetsanded at all, or waxed or anything. I'm letting it bake in the hot sun for a while.

Here goes...

When I first got the car, seconds after I pulled up in front of the house:

Bubbling purple tint removed, bra removed, body stripe removed (cept for parts of pignose ), and noobie novice patch work performed on rear quarters. POR-15 was used. Rear quarter panels sealed on both sides (interior panels removed to gain access):

another shot:

High Gloss Sunrise Red with roller. Rear quarters on both sides, and all along the rocker panel (removed the rear wiper a while ago too):

The driver side was exactly the same pretty much incase you were wondering.

Whats next you say? Spoiler removed and hatch repainted. Possibly the antenna is gone too. When the wife goes out of town next, the rear quarters are getting wetsanded and the whole car polished. The front area is faded slightly from the bra being on it so long from the previous owner. Oh well.

This car is a daily driver, to work and back, hockey, adverse weather conditions all through the winter and is parked in a shadey area of town while I'm at work (not from the sun either). This car will never get a professional paint job while its in my hands. I take good care of it mechanically, but the money isn't there to spend on it for a paint booth. (car was <500 bucks)

Cheers,

lbrowne

Last edited by lbrowne; 07/15/07 02:38 PM.
Re: My 240sx #37098
07/15/07 06:06 PM
07/15/07 06:06 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That is a nice little commuter for under 500 bucks.

Thanks to all,

And respects to 69chargeryeehaa,

JP.

Last edited by jogl; 07/16/07 07:48 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37099
07/15/07 10:43 PM
07/15/07 10:43 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Proper detailing is very different to just polishing. Polish is designed to give a painted surface a depth of shine. After wet sanding you should be trying to remove all of the sanding marks on the paint surface. To do this you will need a cutting compound or a swirl remover. You should also follow a proper 'polishing' technique whereby you apply the product at low speed with a polisher and once it has been worked into the paint, then increasing the polishers speed and working in the product until most of the residue has been buffed away. Then you wipe away the remenants with a cloth.

The pic below shows my hardtop after two passes with Poorboy's SSR3 with a cutting pad, using my random orbital polisher.

well, i took your advice and went out and bought some fancy polish/cuttting compound last week.. and just now used it, its not poorboys buts its pretty much the equivalent of it and i have to say the $45 i spent for this was well worth it

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37100
07/16/07 09:59 AM
07/16/07 09:59 AM
WA State
Roadster_wa Offline
Roadster_wa  Offline

WA State
I'm having a very hard time finding the Rustoleum in orange, in a quart size. Home Depot couldn't find it on any ordering sheets. They gave me the rusto phone number. I've found it in a spray bomb, but no can.

After looking on rusto's web site, they have the color listed, but when you search to buy it, can't find it on a search. Is orange a Canada thing only? I guess I could buy a red and a yellow and work a orange out of the two...

3635258-69b.jpg (300 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37101
07/16/07 10:07 AM
07/16/07 10:07 AM
Maine
B
Blackstone Offline
Blackstone  Offline
B

Maine
Quote:

Hi, I've spent hours reading through the lists and was wondering if what was ultimately determined to be the best methods/materials have been condensed in a FAQ?

There are so many variables... humidity, temperature, indoors, outdoors, colors, preperation techniques, available paints, primers and equipment all play such big factors that this question may never be answered. All you can do is read the original threads, carefully noting who used what under which conditions as you go along.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Roadster_wa] #37102
07/16/07 10:15 AM
07/16/07 10:15 AM
Maine
B
Blackstone Offline
Blackstone  Offline
B

Maine
Found a safety orange Gallon if that'll work.

http://heavydutystore.com/Rust_Oleum_3455_Safety_Orange_Paint_1_Gallon_p_19293.html

Also, Rusto makes an Allis-Chalmers orange in quarts if you can find it.... Tractor Supply maybe?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Roadster_wa] #37103
07/16/07 12:20 PM
07/16/07 12:20 PM
Portland, OR
B
batjac Offline
batjac  Offline
B

Portland, OR
Roadster, is that a yellow trim stripe between the orange and black paints? Or is it just a shiny reflection from the paint. It looks like a yellow accent strip would look great between the black and orange.

Quote:

I went to two hardware stores and couldn't find the orange rustoleum. There is a ford dealer on the corner not to far from the house. As soon as I get the orange, I'll snag a pamphlet or a paint code from them to See how close I can get it.

Here is my concept pic:

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Roadster_wa] #37104
07/16/07 12:50 PM
07/16/07 12:50 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I'm having a very hard time finding the Rustoleum in orange, in a quart size. Home Depot couldn't find it on any ordering sheets. They gave me the rusto phone number. I've found it in a spray bomb, but no can.

After looking on rusto's web site, they have the color listed, but when you search to buy it, can't find it on a search. Is orange a Canada thing only? I guess I could buy a red and a yellow and work a orange out of the two...

I had the same issue when I was looking for their orange; finally spoke to someone from Rustoleum about finding a vendor who sold it in non-aerosol form. The response "we do not offer that product in a non-aerosol form". No pints, quarts, or gallons. Only spray-bombs.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37105
07/16/07 01:36 PM
07/16/07 01:36 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ace brand has a direct match in gallons and quarts of the saftey orange.
The allis Chalmers van sickle paint is a much more red orange even tho they list it as saftey orange.

Oh on the flat paint, it looks like the flattener is settling out of the flat paint when rollering, giving the lines.
I am thinking satin might be the flattest paint you can roll.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #37106
07/16/07 04:39 PM
07/16/07 04:39 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Question for Marq.
I'd be grateful if you could give me an idea of how much Brightside I might need to paint a Mercedes W123? I might have found a source for this paint but need to order accuratly as it'll be a special order and difficult to 'top up' later.
It will be going over about 70% of the car's original black paint, if that makes a difference to the number of coats required.
Many thanks.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: batjac] #37107
07/16/07 05:23 PM
07/16/07 05:23 PM
WA State
Roadster_wa Offline
Roadster_wa  Offline

WA State
Quote:

Roadster, is that a yellow trim stripe between the orange and black paints? Or is it just a shiny reflection from the paint. It looks like a yellow accent strip would look great between the black and orange.

The trucks have a silver stripe between the colors running down the side. The picture was just shiny because I changed the hues to get the orange color. (photoshop stuff)

I'll be trying to do the same to the mustang as they did to the truck.

If I can't find the orange (safety orange is probably to bright), what red should I mix with the yellow to get it.

BTW, I'll be in Canada next week, so I might be able to get some from the store up there.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Roadster_wa] #37108
07/16/07 08:41 PM
07/16/07 08:41 PM
WA State
Roadster_wa Offline
Roadster_wa  Offline

WA State
Here is a link of the Rustoleum Paint that they have in Quarts & Pints:

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=150

I noticed that they dont have purple either.

In a nut shell, here are the colors they list:

3636747-rustoleum.jpg (328 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37109
07/16/07 08:44 PM
07/16/07 08:44 PM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline OP
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline OP
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
Not Marq but I used just shy of 3 qts on my truck if that helps.
If either Fire Red or Flag Blue fits there is a person on ebay selling a six pack of qts for about the price of 2 qts/

Last edited by 69DartGT; 07/16/07 08:46 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Gusteve] #37110
07/16/07 09:36 PM
07/16/07 09:36 PM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline
I Love the Unicorn Song!!
Gusteve  Offline
I Love the Unicorn Song!!

Flint, MI
Quote:

Quote:

I have a question for the satin/flat roller's out there!
Our journeyman was given the task to try this on his project. He is rolling flat black rustoleum. he is on the 5th or 6th coat and it still has really bad roller marks.
I went over it as I have been playing with the method for a while, and I had no better success. it goes on easy, but then when it dries it looks bad.
I am thinking for flat we may need to shoot it.

I've been mid-process with Satin for about a month. My first couple coats, thinned probably 35% or more, left no marks whatsoever (and looked really good).

My last coat I think was thinned only around 20% or so, and I did get roller marks.

I'm doing another coat tonight and I plan on going back to 30 to 40% thin mix.

I'm also switching to oderless mineral spirits to have more time to "roll out" the roller marks when doing large areas like the roof, C pillers and rear quarters. (which are all one giant section on my 68 Charger).

OK - I think I'm giving up on Satin.

I just can't seem to get rid of the roller marks. Somehow I did a test panel earlier that looked perfect, but I can't repeat it.

There's nothing worse than rolling paint on your car the LOOKS rolled. My buddies are all "See- told you that wouldn't work"

I did a few panels last weekend with gloss, and they looked OK, didn't get any roller marks.

Where's the guy that did the '69 Stang fastback? Your satin was awesome! How'd you do that?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Gusteve] #37111
07/16/07 11:10 PM
07/16/07 11:10 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Think his call sign is "gfeighny".

That 69 does look really good, I'm really partial to the flat/satin black look....

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37112
07/16/07 11:31 PM
07/16/07 11:31 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Question for Marq.
I'd be grateful if you could give me an idea of how much Brightside I might need to paint a Mercedes W123? I might have found a source for this paint but need to order accuratly as it'll be a special order and difficult to 'top up' later.
It will be going over about 70% of the car's original black paint, if that makes a difference to the number of coats required.
Many thanks.

If the car is black and you are going to be working painting it in Brightside black... you will probably need 3 quarts. BUT I would suggest having the 4th quart 'just in case'.

You mention that you would only be painting about 70% of the car... but you may find it worthwhile to scuff up the other 30% and Brightside it as well... juat to have a uniform paint application on the car.

Marq

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #37113
07/17/07 12:50 AM
07/17/07 12:50 AM
WA State
Roadster_wa Offline
Roadster_wa  Offline

WA State
Quote:

Question for Marq.
Many thanks.

The corvette only took 1 1/2 quarts to paint the 5 complete coats. It also was black before the Rustoleum. Of course, I was thinning it around 40-50% each time.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Page 40 of 167 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 166 167