Maine
B
Blackstone Offline
Blackstone  Offline
B

Maine
Quote:

noted.

i should be wet sanding with 400 correct. not dry sanding?

i already primered all the parts where i went to metal. ill wet sand them to insure theyre ready to go.

How uniform is the current finish now?

If you have sections of varying colors(example; red paint, grey primer) it may show through even after several coats. In extreme cases, it's worthwhile to prime the entire car.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37075
07/12/07 04:53 PM
07/12/07 04:53 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

I have a question for the satin/flat roller's out there!
Our journeyman was given the task to try this on his project. He is rolling flat black rustoleum. he is on the 5th or 6th coat and it still has really bad roller marks.
I went over it as I have been playing with the method for a while, and I had no better success. it goes on easy, but then when it dries it looks bad.
I am thinking for flat we may need to shoot it.

Maybe there's a difference in the satin vs. flat in the way it comes out. I'm sure you saw the 69 Mustang that looks really cool in satin a few pages back...other than that maybe your friend wasn't sanding every other coat. If not then the roller marks from previous coats will just multiply with each layer.

I found that on a test panel where I tried both ways. Saving a few coats to wet sand only the last one did not look nearly as good as the other half where I followed the original method everyone here goes by.

I'm guessing that is not the case and it could be that flat is just tougher to get right compared to the gloss and satin colors.

One thing about sanding flat paint is that if you sand with a coarse paper, you'll get scratches. Which you sand out with progressively fine paper, which also gives you the shine.
With flat paint, you don't want that shine, and I don't know of any other way of flattening an imperfect finish without 'polishing', nor restoring a flat finish after it's been rubbed away.

I sprayed mine with flat paint, and although I wetsanded every intermediate coat, the topcoat had to be very carefully applied because I knew I couldn't sand anything out of it!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37076
07/12/07 08:12 PM
07/12/07 08:12 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This being the 20th page, I thought it would be a good place to put some of the excellent sites that summarize the roller technique. Going through the 200+ pages of these threads might be a bit overwhelming to the newbies.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=2348049

http://rollyourcar.com/default.aspx

http://www.rickwrench.com/50dollarpaint.html

http://carpainting.wetpaint.com/page/Roller+Method

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37077
07/12/07 11:10 PM
07/12/07 11:10 PM
Piqua, Ohio
dodgeram440 Offline
master
dodgeram440  Offline
master

Piqua, Ohio
Question about primer and body work. I've been working on the replacement fender for my truck. It looks a lot better than it did, but if you run your hand over it, you can still feel some waves. Short of putting a full coat of bondo over the entire fender and using a long board sander, it's as good as it's going to get. Right now, I'm just working on finishing smoothing it out by wetsanding with 320, then roll a coat of rustoleum primer and sand that with 600. Does that sound ok to all the bodywork guys?

My other question concerns the rest of the truck. There is some rust I need to sand off and I few spots I need to pull out and bondo. The question is, should I sand the whole truck and roll the rusty metal primer, then do the bodywork over the primer, or do the bodywork first, then primer the truck. I'm impatient to primer the truck because I'm tired of looking at the rust.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: dodgeram440] #37078
07/12/07 11:38 PM
07/12/07 11:38 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i would do the bodywork first. then bondo, then primer, then paint. the paint tends to soak into the bondo and it will take alot of paint to stop soaking into the bondo.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37079
07/13/07 11:07 AM
07/13/07 11:07 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The paint started flaking right off [with Rustoleum's boat paint].

Thanks, 1967mustang!

Good to know. I'm gonna go with the regular Rustoleum.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37080
07/13/07 04:49 PM
07/13/07 04:49 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

The paint started flaking right off [with Rustoleum's boat paint].

Thanks, 1967mustang!

Good to know. I'm gonna go with the regular Rustoleum.

I don't know if I would immediately write off the Rustoleum Boat Paint... When paint starts peeling off in chunks my first thought is that there was something wrong with the surface preparation.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #37081
07/13/07 04:58 PM
07/13/07 04:58 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I don't know if I would immediately write off the Rustoleum Boat Paint...

I've already bought the rustoleum, actually... But another idea had crossed my mind: has anyone painted a few base coats of rustoleum and then topped it with a coat or two of Brightside?

That would certainly reduce the overall cost while (possibly) still keeping the excellence of the Brightside.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37082
07/13/07 07:19 PM
07/13/07 07:19 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hello Guys, I’m another guy who’s been lurking around this thread for a while. Got to congratulate you all for your efforts and result, its inspiring stuff, and what a great guy this 69charger who let the cat out of the bag, brilliant.
I’ve a nice old Mercedes W123 USA spec. 300 Turbo Diesel with a manual box fitted. Goes well and is all good except some superficial body panels that are getting changed next week.
I’m a Brit living here in Poland part of the year, and my Polish is rotten, but I manage until I get into technical issues, like finding paint here. That’s my biggest problem, none of the paints mentioned are on sale here. It’s wall to wall Hammerite, but I’ve yet to hear of anyone using this stuff, so if anyone knows of a reference to a success with Hammerite I’d love to hear about it, please. I’m experimenting with a Polish brand of rust paint, the vendor thought I was ding-a-ling when I told him what I was doing, but even if it turns out looking OK who knows how it would hold up?
I’m currently chasing a vendor of Interlux Paints, (no idea what he stocks), up on the coast, but with my Polish and his English I’ll probably end up buying a gallon of sheep-dip?
So basically what I’m saying here is this, does anyone out there reading this thread have any ideas about what can be used that’s on the market in Poland? Maybe a reader, maybe someone from another forum, I have no idea, I’m just fishing for a “solution”

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37083
07/13/07 08:19 PM
07/13/07 08:19 PM
Piqua, Ohio
dodgeram440 Offline
master
dodgeram440  Offline
master

Piqua, Ohio
Thanks, mybuick. The entire truck will get a full coat of rusto primer and sanded with 600 before it gets any paint. I was just wondering if I could primer the truck first and do the bodywork and bondo over it. I want to get the rust under control, and this is a long term project as I have very little time to actually work on it. It's also my daily driver right now so I can't do anything that will put it down for a while. I want to get something on it before winter. I was hoping to be putting the 440 in it this month, but I will be putting that off for another couple months while I gather more parts and get more bodywork done.

A question about the paint. I've read people posting about rusto "profesional" and "stops rust" type paints. Are there really any differences in the two? The local Wal-mart and Home Depot only have the "stops rust" type paint. Wal-mart also has a similar paint by Krylon. Has anybody tried that brand? I haven't looked at Lowes or Menards as they are not in my town. I'm assuming I can use the "stops rust" type rustoleum without any problems.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: dodgeram440] #37084
07/13/07 08:39 PM
07/13/07 08:39 PM
WA State
Roadster_wa Offline
Roadster_wa  Offline

WA State
Quote:

A question about the paint. I've read people posting about rusto "professional" and "stops rust" type paints. Are there really any differences in the two? The local Wal-mart and Home Depot only have the "stops rust" type paint. Wal-mart also has a similar paint by Krylon. Has anybody tried that brand? I haven't looked at Lowes or Menards as they are not in my town. I'm assuming I can use the "stops rust" type rustoleum without any problems.

I used the "stops rust" with the vette. When I was putting on the mirrors, I slipped with the screwdriver and hit the door hard enough to hear a 'thunk'. After the heart started beating again, I looked and it didn't even mark or dent it.... So far, the paint has been great. It's not perfect, but sure looks better. Thanks charger69!

Here is a finished picture, without a machine buff job yet. Nu Finished by hand...

3629849-finish4.jpg (616 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Roadster_wa] #37085
07/13/07 09:19 PM
07/13/07 09:19 PM
Piqua, Ohio
dodgeram440 Offline
master
dodgeram440  Offline
master

Piqua, Ohio
Looks really good.....for a vette. Thanks for the feedback!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Roadster_wa] #37086
07/13/07 10:14 PM
07/13/07 10:14 PM
Maine
B
Blackstone Offline
Blackstone  Offline
B

Maine
The Vette looks great. Congratulations, Roadster. You're an inspiration to us all.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37087
07/13/07 10:34 PM
07/13/07 10:34 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

I've already bought the rustoleum, actually... But another idea had crossed my mind: has anyone painted a few base coats of rustoleum and then topped it with a coat or two of Brightside?

That would certainly reduce the overall cost while (possibly) still keeping the excellence of the Brightside.

That is how I did my McLaren. Four coats of Tremclad Fire Red... and then I switched over to Brightside Fire Red.

It worked and there were no problems...

Last edited by Marq; 07/13/07 10:37 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Roadster_wa] #37088
07/14/07 12:14 AM
07/14/07 12:14 AM
WA State
Roadster_wa Offline
Roadster_wa  Offline

WA State
I just got a call from a guy I met at the swap meet today. He wants to paint his car now. it's like a virus! Everyone comes over, looks at the paint, then their friends want to come over and see it. Not one believes it was rolled...until I show them the pictures and a video of the kid rolling the t-tops. Kind of funny!

Hey Charger69, I saw a Harley (orange and black)painted truck today. The orange was sure looking close to that VW of yours. How close do you think the Rustoleum orange is to the Harley orange color?

"If you can see the imperfections, your to close"

3630333-rollit.JPG (473 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Roadster_wa] #37089
07/14/07 01:02 AM
07/14/07 01:02 AM
WA State
Roadster_wa Offline
Roadster_wa  Offline

WA State
Now that the vette is pretty much done (for now), Here is my latest project:

69 Fastback
460 2 fours, w/C6
Boss 429 scoop, spoilers, ect...

I really like the Harley trucks, and will be doing the concept on the picture below. I played around with the photo-shop and came up with the mustang picture on the bottom.

I put chargers VW picture with the Harley truck. Pretty close. Of course, I'll jump over to a ford dealer and try to get something with the color on it to match the Rustoleum orange with.

Just think, the $3000 I saved on the paint will be put back into the car for the fun stuff. I just picked up the blue thunder intake with the dual four barrels that will fit under the 429 Boss scoop. Wouldn't of happened if the paint cost would have been out there...

3630394-mustang.JPG (632 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Roadster_wa] #37090
07/14/07 11:13 AM
07/14/07 11:13 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

I put chargers VW picture with the Harley truck. Pretty close. Of course, I'll jump over to a ford dealer and try to get something with the color on it to match the Rustoleum orange with.

The 'Harley' color package on a Mustang looks like a sharp and unique combination. Can't wait to see it done.

To nail the orange color you might find that straight Tremclad/Rustoleum orange is a bit orangey or light.

You might end up getting into a bit of a custom color mixing to land on the exact color that will best flatter the Mustang's side profile.

Since orange is simply yellow mixed with red... you might try a little bit of color experimenting to nail it down.

For example... take a can of Tremclad/Rustoleum orange and create a color palette on some white card board ( lay down ten or so dots of the orange on the white card board ). Then take a small can of Tremclad Fire Red or Regal Red and add a drop or two to the orange and smooosh them together to see what color they create when blended. The red would be used in small amounts to the orange as a tinting agent.

I am not sure how the black Tremclad/Rustoleum would blend with the orange. From my own experiements using the black as a tinting agent with the Fire Red, it resulted in a pottery brownish color ( rather than the dark blackish cherry red that I was hoping black and fire red would create when blended ).

So I suspect that by using the fire red or regal red with the orange should give you the Harley orangish color.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37091
07/14/07 01:34 PM
07/14/07 01:34 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Hello Guys, I’m another guy who’s been lurking around this thread for a while. Got to congratulate you all for your efforts and result, its inspiring stuff, and what a great guy this 69charger who let the cat out of the bag, brilliant.
I’ve a nice old Mercedes W123 USA spec. 300 Turbo Diesel with a manual box fitted. Goes well and is all good except some superficial body panels that are getting changed next week.
I’m a Brit living here in Poland part of the year, and my Polish is rotten, but I manage until I get into technical issues, like finding paint here. That’s my biggest problem, none of the paints mentioned are on sale here. It’s wall to wall Hammerite, but I’ve yet to hear of anyone using this stuff, so if anyone knows of a reference to a success with Hammerite I’d love to hear about it, please. I’m experimenting with a Polish brand of rust paint, the vendor thought I was ding-a-ling when I told him what I was doing, but even if it turns out looking OK who knows how it would hold up?

I have a couple aerosol cans of Hammerite in my garage. In the U.S. I can't recall ever seeing the smooth finish Hammerite sold anywhere -- it's always the "hammered finish" stuff (like what you see on industrial machinery, usually in silver or green color). I've painted outdoor light fixtures with this stuff and it has held up well. Painted direct to metal. Don't think you would want the hammered finish for your Benz though, so make sure you don't buy a can of that...

In the U.S., Hammerite is manufactured by Masterchem (www.masterchem.com). I looked at their MSDS (couldn't find this info on the European site for Hammerite, but it might be there) and compared it with the MSDS for Rustoleum.

Similarities: U.S. Hammerite says it contains an "alkyd resin". Rustoleum says it is an "alkyd topcoat". I think we've established that Rusto is an alkyd enamel (I think).

Differences: Solvents in Rusto are listed as "Stoddard Solvents" -- which from everything I've been able to read is another name for "Mineral Spirits". U.S. Hammerite solvents contain some of the same hydrocarbons which would be found in mineral spirits, BUT also contains a high proportion of Acetone. I know acetone has been discussed somewhere here before -- and I think people have tried using it with/in place of mineral spirits to thin Rusto and it didn't work well. Evaporated too fast, paint didn't self-level as well. So, this could be a potential problem.

I'm not an expert, just getting the ball rolling with a little research.

Rustoleum MSDS's
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGResourceCenter.asp?sn=ms2&msdstyp=P

Masterchem (Hammerite) MSDS's
http://www.masterchem.com/pages/default.aspx?NavID=116

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Roadster_wa] #37092
07/14/07 03:28 PM
07/14/07 03:28 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

I just got a call from a guy I met at the swap meet today. He wants to paint his car now. it's like a virus! Everyone comes over, looks at the paint, then their friends want to come over and see it. Not one believes it was rolled...until I show them the pictures and a video of the kid rolling the t-tops. Kind of funny!

Hey Charger69, I saw a Harley (orange and black)painted truck today. The orange was sure looking close to that VW of yours. How close do you think the Rustoleum orange is to the Harley orange color?

"If you can see the imperfections, your to close"

the orange, both tremclad and rustoleum are the same color from what i've seen, but it's really close to "hemi" orange, almost identical. But orange is a funny color to take pic of, it's funny, even with a high end camera, you can take pics 1 after another, and the 2 pics look different in color. But like Marq said, you could eaisly espirement with mixing colors and once you get the ratio's down, i'm sure you could get the exact color you want.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37093
07/14/07 04:55 PM
07/14/07 04:55 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Here are a few pictures of progress

(the spoiler is just sanded, it's not primered)

Sanded the trunk down to bare metal with an orbital sander at 220 grit and then primered with Duplicolor "Dark Gray" Primer, even though it's about as white as a ghost. I put two coats on and then wetsanded with 400 grit. Smooth! I plan on sanding/primering a piece at a time, the hood is coming next (a little bondoing for the hood will get me some good practice for the big bondo job on the door) and then paint it all at once.

The only problems I forsee is the cost of paint -- I don't really want to go with a Rustoleum/Tremclad or Duplicolor paint unless I have to. I've fallen in love with two paints, the first being that blue metallic (which I have access to spray guns and compressor if I go that route) and Honda's very own New Formula Red (which is pricey but beautiful)

Example of New Forumla Red:

Blue Metallic
The Good: Awesome color, real automotive paint, I can get 3 quarts for $60 shipped
The Bad: I'll have to sand ever single last bit of red paint off of my car (jambs, inner trunk, under hood, engine bay) or it will look way off

New Formula Red
The Good: Awesome color, real automotive paint, won't have to sand down jambs and under hood as they are largely unfaded and still in good condition, and the color will match better than a blue will
The Bad: EXPENSIVE (PPG quoted me at least $300 for a gallon)

I'm trying to imagine what a blue metallic with red door jambs will look -- this is my cheapest route

Page 39 of 167 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 166 167