07/09/07 12:28 PM
07/09/07 12:28 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

As my first piece using Tremclad Rust paint, I took off the right front fender, because it had a big chunk rusted out of the edge of the wheel well, and took it into my garage..

After the body work on it, I gave it 7 coats of paint, sanding with 400 after the first coat, then every 2nd coat with 600, 800 and 1000 grit.
Every time, I got to bare metal on edges and sharp folds.After the 1000 grit, it was even shinier than I had hoped for, except for the bare spots.
I gave it 2 more coats. Now, using 1500 grit, I still have about 20 small bare spots.
I'm going to have to get this back on the car, so intend to just touch up the bare spots while on the car.
Any advice on this appreciated - I still have the rest of the car to do, and need to know what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks,
Don

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37035
07/09/07 02:51 PM
07/09/07 02:51 PM
Maine
B
Blackstone Offline
Blackstone  Offline
B

Maine
I sanded through the edges on my first 2-3 sessions before I realized I needed to do something different. Taping the edges off each time I wetsanded helped me a bunch on my practice panel. It kept me from accidentally knocking the paint off in these areas with the coarser rounds of sanding. Toward the end of each session, I pulled the tape off and touched the edges up carefully, using the finest grit possible.

This technique will also prove useful in your final polishing.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Blackstone] #37036
07/09/07 04:08 PM
07/09/07 04:08 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I sanded through the edges on my first 2-3 sessions before I realized I needed to do something different. Taping the edges off each time I wetsanded helped me a bunch on my practice panel. It kept me from accidentally knocking the paint off in these areas with the coarser rounds of sanding. Toward the end of each session, I pulled the tape off and touched the edges up carefully, using the finest grit possible.

This technique will also prove useful in your final polishing.

That sounds like a good technique; I'll try it on my next panel.
Thanks,
Don

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37037
07/10/07 01:32 AM
07/10/07 01:32 AM
WA State
Roadster_wa Offline
Roadster_wa  Offline

WA State
I spent yesterday and part of today putting the vette back together. Got most of it done.

5 coats of Gloss Black
1 coat of Nu Finish

3620901-coat5e.JPG (533 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Blackstone] #37038
07/10/07 03:50 AM
07/10/07 03:50 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Blackstone any updates on the Top Secret? I'm thinking of using the T-100 for a possible up coming project.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Blackstone] #37039
07/10/07 08:03 AM
07/10/07 08:03 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have waited a bit over three months to do the final wet sanding and detailing on the car. I've mucked around with the hardtop and some other stuff before (and before my accident last year after which I had to re-paint it all again...).

I'm starting with the hood and so far I have spent about 5 hours wet sanding it. I started with a very gentle 1200 sand, basically just to get the crud off the paint and to get through the worst of the orange peel.

Then I spent a couple of hours with 1500 just going really slowly and doing a section at a time until I was happy with the result.

The last couple of hours were spent on some quality time with some 2000. People have mentioned before that the paint starts to get a shine just from the 2000 sanding. You can see what they mean by the pic below.

Once I have finished the detailing of the hood I will post some more pics showing each stage of the process. By then my holidays will be over so I'll then have to try and do a panel per weekend until it's all finished. So I hope that I can avoid women in 4x4's for another couple of months....

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37040
07/10/07 09:15 AM
07/10/07 09:15 AM
Maine
B
Blackstone Offline
Blackstone  Offline
B

Maine
Quote:

Blackstone any updates on the Top Secret? I'm thinking of using the T-100 for a possible up coming project.

I completed my final wetsanding a few days ago, but I'm at a stand still until my brother's polisher becomes available. I don't want to buy one until my budget affords a decent-quality unit, so I tried some Turtle polishing compound with a hand applicator for now. The shine is noticeably coming out and I'm confident that I'll be able to retrieve the shine I had after coat #2(page 17) with a machine polisher and some good-quality compounds. Even with minimal hand-polishing, the shine is approaching that of my truck's current BC/CC finish.

Each of my coats landed around 25-30% thinned with TS-101 thinner. The only variation I plan to try next time is a fine bristle-type tipping brush in lieu of the foam just to see what happens. I experienced a lot of what's best referred to as "ripples" from tipping with the foam brush, but was able to sand them down to an almost-acceptable level. I suspect that the finer lines produced by the bristle-type brush may have an easier time self-leveling, saving a ton of work/time later on.

All that being said, I highly recommend Top Secret's products.

It may prove worthwhile to PM MontanaMan. He purchased a can of TS-100(white I think) back in May but hasn't chimed in yet.

Stay tuned...

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37041
07/10/07 11:03 AM
07/10/07 11:03 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It seems that Rustoleum has a line of topside boat paint as well:

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=4

Has anyone tried it? Any thoughts on comparison to Brightside? I also haven't found a price for it yet, but I'm supposing it's cheaper...

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37042
07/10/07 12:54 PM
07/10/07 12:54 PM
MD, USA
V
v8mirage Offline
v8mirage  Offline
V

MD, USA
If I read it right its not a urethane paint. I could be wrong tho.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: v8mirage] #37043
07/10/07 05:03 PM
07/10/07 05:03 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I can't tell for sure. It's definitely an alkyd paint, but it doesn't mention anything about urethane or polyurethane.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37044
07/10/07 07:24 PM
07/10/07 07:24 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hello All,

This thread is fantastic! Let me apologize for bringing another Ford into the picture, but I'm convinced that my baby will get some much deserved paint soon.

Just have a couple of questions if anyone has a second, I am looking at doing Regal Red from Rustoleum. For awhile, it seemed that I only had the Stops Rust Brand to choose from, but I happened to go to a Lowe's on the way home from work. They have Regal Red in Professional in Quarts for only about 40 cent more.

Obviously, either way would be extremely cheap...I'm looking for opionions on which one out of the 2 would hold up longer against oxidiation. I'm ruling out the Brightside due to the price and local availability.

By the way, for all the good that 69Charger has done to this world, may the highest place in Beer Heaven be reserved for him.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37045
07/10/07 11:58 PM
07/10/07 11:58 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Let me apologize for bringing another Ford into the picture, but I'm convinced that my baby will get some much deserved paint soon.

Hey, that's what I'm here for.

Now I have a way to make it look better without tripling the purchase price.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37046
07/11/07 01:16 AM
07/11/07 01:16 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

has anyone tried silver in either rustoleum or brightside?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: v8mirage] #37047
07/11/07 01:20 AM
07/11/07 01:20 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

If I read it right its not a urethane paint. I could be wrong tho.

I mentioned this paint a few pages back...looking at the can, it's just another alkyd enamel like regular rustoleum. Other than the price tag, I can't find any obvious difference between this and the regular stuff. It's definetly NOT a urethane like Brightside.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37048
07/11/07 01:38 AM
07/11/07 01:38 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Hey all, I joined here to chat about this DIY paint job ...

...The paint I hope to use (Omni Blue Metallic):

Is this standard automotive paint? If so I see a couple issues.
1.) I don't think anyone here has tried that type of paint yet. No one has tested the self-leveling capabilities of such a paint. As well, you would have to make sure it is a single-stage automotive paint (i.e. NOT a base coat + clear coat system). Even with that, unless you add the catalyst (hardener) like you would when spraying, I'm not sure it would cure properly.

2.) Metallic paint. I don't know if anyone has tried a metallic, but the general thought is that the metallic particles will not say suspended properly as they would with spraying. As well, the wet sanding process will either be hindered by the metallic particles and/or grind them down.

DO IT DO IT DO IT!!! The subject of using this type of paint comes up every once in a while, everyone says it won't work and then the person asking the question doesn't do it. As far as I know, nobody has ever actually tried it. I've read this whole thread a long time ago, and I can't remember anyone ever actually posting the results of trying this. There are lots of reasons it might not work, but until someone actually puts some time into trying I'm not totally convinced it won't work.

I've sprayed a fair amount of metallic paint, and it's definetly not as forgiving as a solid color, but I think you might be able to find a technique to do this with. I would suggest trying to apply it as "dry" as possible...work as much paint out of the roller as you can before putting it on the car.

As far as color sanding it, I don't think it should be any big deal. I've wet sanded metallic paint before spraying a clear on it without any problems. I don't see why it would buff out any different than any other paint. The metal particles in the paint are microscopic. Metallic paints have been around since the 1950s...I'm sure there were plenty of paint jobs back then that got buffed out too. Adding a catalyst is no big deal...I've used hardener with these alkyd enamels and then put it on with both a roller and a brush. The only real difference is the curing time is miles ahead of using straight paint, and you don't get to reuse your old roller .

If I had *any* spare time at all I would have tried this myself...but I don't. I'm really curious to see it done though. It might come out a horrible mess, but until someone tries it we'll never know. And I really dig the color too!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37049
07/11/07 07:41 AM
07/11/07 07:41 AM
Maine
B
Blackstone Offline
Blackstone  Offline
B

Maine
Quote:

Let me apologize for bringing another Ford into the picture, but I'm convinced that my baby will get some much deserved paint soon.

Hey, cool project. My neighbor is restoring a '79 long bed with a 400ci.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37050
07/11/07 09:23 AM
07/11/07 09:23 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hello Mountebanks,

This might help you it was on page 53 of part 2 from a member called Ground Rat,

Here's the link to the page if you wanted to go back:

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...art=53&vc=1

He stated the following:

"Ok, so i'm not real impressed with Rustoleums boat paint. Heres what I did:

Sanded the panel with 220 then 400
Washed with mild soap and water
Dried
Wiped down with mineral spirits and let dry for 2 hours
Wiped down with tack cloth
Applied paint
Waited 48 hours

The paint started flaking right off. I guess I will try the professional series unless anyone can point out a step I did to cause poor adhesion. "

Cool truck by the way, It looks like a good starting point for a decent DIY paint job. My 67 Mustang was pretty much a dead horse when I got it. I was able to get it running and driving down the road...did neither when I bought her. I took the molested body and redid it correctly. After all that who can afford thousands for a paint job? Not me anyway. Let me know how your truck turns out.

Thanks

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37051
07/11/07 09:54 AM
07/11/07 09:54 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

1.) I don't think anyone here has tried that type of paint yet. No one has tested the self-leveling capabilities of such a paint. As well, you would have to make sure it is a single-stage automotive paint (i.e. NOT a base coat + clear coat system). Even with that, unless you add the catalyst (hardener) like you would when spraying, I'm not sure it would cure properly.

2.) Metallic paint. I don't know if anyone has tried a metallic, but the general thought is that the metallic particles will not say suspended properly as they would with spraying. As well, the wet sanding process will either be hindered by the metallic particles and/or grind them down.

DO IT DO IT DO IT!!! The subject of using this type of paint comes up every once in a while, everyone says it won't work and then the person asking the question doesn't do it. As far as I know, nobody has ever actually tried it. I've read this whole thread a long time ago, and I can't remember anyone ever actually posting the results of trying this. There are lots of reasons it might not work, but until someone actually puts some time into trying I'm not totally convinced it won't work.

I've sprayed a fair amount of metallic paint, and it's definetly not as forgiving as a solid color, but I think you might be able to find a technique to do this with. I would suggest trying to apply it as "dry" as possible...work as much paint out of the roller as you can before putting it on the car.

As far as color sanding it, I don't think it should be any big deal. I've wet sanded metallic paint before spraying a clear on it without any problems. I don't see why it would buff out any different than any other paint. The metal particles in the paint are microscopic. Metallic paints have been around since the 1950s...I'm sure there were plenty of paint jobs back then that got buffed out too. Adding a catalyst is no big deal...I've used hardener with these alkyd enamels and then put it on with both a roller and a brush. The only real difference is the curing time is miles ahead of using straight paint, and you don't get to reuse your old roller .

If I had *any* spare time at all I would have tried this myself...but I don't. I'm really curious to see it done though. It might come out a horrible mess, but until someone tries it we'll never know. And I really dig the color too!

I agree with toolbox, What do you have to lose, but maybe you outta try a test panel just because all the decent looking cars here have been done with solids. Personally, I'm not crazy about solid blues except on maybe a 50's car or earlier.

Here's my plan of attack if someone would like to put in their 2cents. I'm going to roll rustoleum rusty metal primer straight out of the can based on older posts. This way I have the high solids to smooth out the surface as much as possible before paint. I figure on wet sanding the primer with 400 grit. Then I'll go ahead and due the Regal Red Professional Rustoleum. Wet sanding after two coats and repeat until full coverage is achieved. I'll probably use the Poorboy polish that Aussie recommends.

I'm hoping that the Rustoleum Professional would last longer against fading and that's why I'm choosing it over Stops Rust. I really like LUV4X4's result with the safety red, I'm just looking for more of a "blood red" color.

The only thing I'm not sure of is the Aluminum pieces on my car. The fake side louvers and the hood louvers on my stang are aluminum, as well as my Quarter Panel end caps and probably my headlamp buckets.

Should I use Rusto's aluminum primer on those parts? I want to insure paint adhesion, but I'm concerned about the different colors of the primers. I'm just a little worried that the paint would end up lighter looking on the aluminum parts. Any suggestions would help.

Thanks,

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37052
07/11/07 01:00 PM
07/11/07 01:00 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I agree with toolbox, What do you have to lose, but maybe you outta try a test panel just because all the decent looking cars here have been done with solids. Personally, I'm not crazy about solid blues except on maybe a 50's car or earlier.

Here's my plan of attack if someone would like to put in their 2cents. I'm going to roll rustoleum rusty metal primer straight out of the can based on older posts. This way I have the high solids to smooth out the surface as much as possible before paint. I figure on wet sanding the primer with 400 grit. Then I'll go ahead and due the Regal Red Professional Rustoleum. Wet sanding after two coats and repeat until full coverage is achieved. I'll probably use the Poorboy polish that Aussie recommends.

I'm hoping that the Rustoleum Professional would last longer against fading and that's why I'm choosing it over Stops Rust. I really like LUV4X4's result with the safety red, I'm just looking for more of a "blood red" color.

The only thing I'm not sure of is the Aluminum pieces on my car. The fake side louvers and the hood louvers on my stang are aluminum, as well as my Quarter Panel end caps and probably my headlamp buckets.

Should I use Rusto's aluminum primer? I want to insure paint adhesion, but I'm concerned about the different colors of the primers. I'm just a little worried that the paint would end up lighter looking on the aluminum parts. Any suggestions would help.

Thanks,

Not to pee on your parade, but it won't work. Auto paints use a catylist, where a chemical reaction occurs to "cure" the paint. Without hardner, the paint will stay soft for years, too much and it will over dry, become brittle and crack. You'd be trying to roll single stage paint, and you would have to use a hardner, single stage paints are much like bondo, when you mix in the hardner you got about 3mins to work the bondo before it becomes hard and blobs making it impossible to smooth out, which is basically the same mess you'll end up with auto paints. Plus the metalics would be hard if not impossible to keep uniform, even with spraying using HVLP/spray gun (air) it's hard for the inexpirenced painter to get the metalic uniform and not end up with "zebra" strips on their whole car let alone trying to roller metalic paint. The enamels (tremclad/rustoleum) do not use a catylist, the "gas/vent" and dry. To and extent the mineral spirits is a catylist, ineffect decreasing pot life, but at the same time making the paint thinner, and giving you the ability to apply thinner coats and they self level. You may be able to do a small peice with a roller and auto paints like a mirror, but a hood/roof, no way, you'll end up with a big ball roller with auto paint in a stringy mess!!! SIngle stage paints are designed to "flash" litterelly within 20 mins, that's why with single stage paints you have 20-30mins to recoat, or 5 days until it's fully vented (enough to recoat and not disturb/re-wet the underlying layer; which typically presents it'self by "wrinkling". I'd rather explore putting metalic in tremclad/rustoleum, and explore mixing in tremclad clear coat (liquid, only available to us lucky guys in canada!!!); that i think has a really good chance.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #37053
07/11/07 01:11 PM
07/11/07 01:11 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If anyone knows it would be the original roller. Charger has spoken! I figured it was worth a try by someone in the Pioneer spirit of all those here, but a friend of mine did do an amatuer job on a car of his, and even shooting it through a gun he had a zebra on his hands. It was a beater so he didn't mind much.

What about making rusto stick to aluminum parts???

Page 37 of 167 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 166 167