07/06/07 07:24 PM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline
I Love the Unicorn Song!!
Gusteve  Offline

Flint, MI
Quote:

2.) Metallic paint. I don't know if anyone has tried a metallic, but the general thought is that the metallic particles will not say suspended properly as they would with spraying. As well, the wet sanding process will either be hindered by the metallic particles and/or grind them down.

IIRC Metallics were ruled out as unusable in one of the previous 100 page iterations of this thread. Rolling and sanding didn't work well.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #37015
07/06/07 07:32 PM
07/06/07 07:32 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Ahhhh... I think you had better test this all out on some sample. You are introducing too many new variables into the recipe and each of them on their own has proven not to work very well on their own.

The metalic pieces may be small... and that works great with the spray where they are atomized and randomly distributed during the painting. But when you roll.. you are going to find the metal particles concentrating in lines ( that will follow the pattern you rolled the paint on ). The ends of the rollers will leave a slightly greater concentration of metal particles - and hence you will see a pinstriping type effect instead of an even distribution of the particles.

You might as well spray if you are planning to go with that automotive metalic paint. I imagine that any attempt to roll with that paint is going to result in something that is going to have you cursing.

It's a gorgeous color... but the paint and metalic particles is going to prove to be its downfall when rolling and when wetsanding..

Do a sample... but don't do it on the car until you have proven to yourself that it is not going to look like a dogs breakfast

Yeah I am going to sample the paint on something for sure, and I do have access to a 30-40PSI air compressor and paint guns, so I may have to go that route. Is primer still okay to roll?

Quote:

You'll still need the catylist for the paint as well. That is what makes the paint harden as it dries. If you don't use that, the paint will remain soft and you'll never be able to sand or buff it.

From what I have read, you just add the catalyst to the paint in the proper amounts when I am ready to spray?

Update:

I sanded a little today, I went out and got a $20 orbital sander/polisher from Big Lots (Hey, it works), here's the results from my first time (total of 2-3 hours sand time today):

As you can see, there is still semblances of red under what I sanded -- from what I understand, someone painted over the old paint perhaps?

Side shot of the same stuff

Bad color but you get the idea

Much better representation.

How far do I go before I stop sanding? When I no longer see the old color? I am using 50 grit right now, should I up that to a finer grit paper? This is my first time sanding anything. Thanks.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Gusteve] #37016
07/06/07 07:34 PM
07/06/07 07:34 PM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline
Gusteve  Offline

Flint, MI
Argh - paint prep is driving me crazy!

Every time I think I'm ready for a final roll, I find more stuff to fix. Most of this is related to blocksanding areas that then show brand new low-spots (or high spots). I've primed many of these areas, and sanded some more, but they just aren't perfect.

Question - I'm considering brushing rustoleum straight from the can onto my problem areas to use the paint to fill in the low spots. Will this work?

Most of these areas are probably 2 inches square or so - a weird spot in the middle that I just can't get right with primer and block sanding.

I figured if I brushed it on heavy in my trouble spots, let it dry well (a day or two) and then rolled over it, it should be OK. Has anyone else had this issue or am I just too much of a perfectionist?

FYI - this is satin black I'm working with, not gloss, if that makes a difference.

Help! Thanks!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37017
07/06/07 07:36 PM
07/06/07 07:36 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I've posted this before but the Ace Rust Stop paint is Rustoleum i'm told at Ace by the paint guy. They have the Safety Green in stock in gallon and rattle cans at least here. Pretty close to a teal, not sure what shade your looking after though.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37018
07/06/07 10:35 PM
07/06/07 10:35 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

How far do I go before I stop sanding? When I no longer see the old color? I am using 50 grit right now, should I up that to a finer grit paper? This is my first time sanding anything. Thanks.

First thing, I hope you washed the car thoroughly and then used some type of wax/contaminant remover. Prep-Sol is the "correct" cleaner but I've had luck with washing with Dawn dish soap and then doing a mineral spirits wipe down. Wiping the mineral spirits on with one rag and then following up immediately behind with a clean rag to collect the nasty stuff (silicon, wax, etc) trying to rotate the clean rag to not wipe stuff back onto the surface.

I would not sand all the color off. Just sand enough to key the old paint (take the gloss off and give some fine scratches for the new paint to grab onto) and smooth it out (ie get rid of the pits and high spots) without going to metal or bare plastic. Any areas that still have depressions, pits, etc fill by using brushed primer or bondo if necessary and then re-sand the areas to smooth it back out. I would throw that 50 grit into a drawer. It is way too rough for what you need. It will leave scratch marks that you will have to refill with primer/paint to get a smooth surface. For the initial prep sanding of the old paint, I wet sand using 150-220 grit wet/dry paper.

----
Regarding the ACE brand Rust-Stop oil based paint. My local ACE hardware stores have tintable bases and will mix just about any color I would want. I didn't know this before this past week. It would be nice if it was a rebranded Rustoleum, but I wouldn't count on the store workers being able to give correct information.

I'm trying the BPS (Tractor Supply) paint made by Valspar (New Holland yellow). It seems to work fairly well on the test panels I've done so far. I'm going thin on the paint (thinned with about 30% mineral spirits) and the coats (it'll take about 8 to get complete coverage). I helped a friend paint a new metal house door with the ACE Rust-Stop and used some Penetrol at about 15-20% with no mineral spirits and you could see the difference in how the paint laid down and that it increased the working time by quite a bit. You could also feel the difference in the paint on your fingers, it was more "slippery. I would still suggest thinning the mix a bit (maybe 10-20%) with mineral spirits. I plan on trying this next.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37019
07/06/07 11:53 PM
07/06/07 11:53 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Regarding the ACE brand Rust-Stop oil based paint. My local ACE hardware stores have tintable bases and will mix just about any color I would want. I didn't know this before this past week. It would be nice if it was a rebranded Rustoleum, but I wouldn't count on the store workers being able to give correct information.

Wish I had known this. I was looking at the Rust-Stop but wasn't willing to gamble on an unknown. Oh well. I started painting today with the Regal Red Rusto. It's looking good so far. I'm just painting it so it looks decent enough to sell.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37020
07/07/07 12:12 AM
07/07/07 12:12 AM
WA State
Roadster_wa Offline
Roadster_wa  Offline

WA State
Just came in after doing my 5th coat. I sure am sick of rolling! I think that this was my last coat and I'll be shopping for some wax here real soon. I'll just put it on and we'll see where we go from there. My driver vette sure looks pretty good so far. Hope the wax keeps the shine going! If not, it is way better than what was like before.

One trick that I have found it that if you really screw up a pannel, you can get a soaked rag (mineral spirits)and wipe it all off and start over. Today, I over worked the hood twice, and didn't like the paint mixture, so I wiped it all down and started over on the hood each time.

Hope things are going good for everyone else.

Oh, before I forget, I mixed a batch of paint and really thinned it down. After it dried, it was cloudy. Probably not enough paint in it do cover completely. So be sure not to over thin it...

Here is a recap so far minus the coat i just put on it. It even looks better now at 5 than in the coat 4 pic:

3614727-progress1.jpg (458 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37021
07/07/07 04:34 AM
07/07/07 04:34 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This may be a stupid questions, but I'll go ahead with it anyway.

I just bought some ACE Rust Stop (International Blue Gloss) from ACE Hardware. I noticed, though, it says "Salvent-Based Enamel" instead of Rust-Oleum's "Oil Based Enamel". Is this OK? Did I mess up? If it is OK, Will I still need to mix the same amount of Mineral Spirits?

Also, how do you mix paint an Mineral Spirits (as in, In what container do you mix it in)?

Thanks, guys!

Last edited by SkycapChris; 07/07/07 04:43 AM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37022
07/07/07 06:07 AM
07/07/07 06:07 AM
Edgerton WI
D
Donny O. Offline
Donny O.  Offline
D

Edgerton WI
Quote:

Also, how do you mix paint an Mineral Spirits (as in, In what container do you mix it in)?

Thanks, guys!

not sure what others did or if what I did was right but I took whatever bottle was left in the recycling bin with a lid. first was a spagetti sauce bottle and poured paint and MS in it and shook the hell out of it then poured it in the roller tray...then it was a juice bottle then a pop bottle. paint was only good in each for a few days then it started clumping. I cleaned the bottles out good first with water, then mineral spirits.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37023
07/07/07 09:36 AM
07/07/07 09:36 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am using old pickle jars for my project.Does not looks like I will be painting this weekend just when you think you are ready something else needs to be prepped and re-ppreped ...
Still to many imperfections on some of body panels
More bondo and primmer needed.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37024
07/07/07 06:09 PM
07/07/07 06:09 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks for the answers. Does anyone know about my other question (the solvent based enamel)?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37025
07/07/07 09:14 PM
07/07/07 09:14 PM
WA State
Roadster_wa Offline
Roadster_wa  Offline

WA State
I just got in the house to give the arms a rest. I just put my 1st coat (by hand) of "Nu Finish" on the vette. The shine is great and you would have never guessed it was painted with a roller.

I havn't buffed it at all. Just put the Nu Finish on over the last coat I put on last night.

I'll let it harden a bit before I do anything with a buffer.

Now I have a long day in front of me to get it put back together.

Here is another picture with 5 coats and the wax:

3615971-coat5.JPG (579 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Roadster_wa] #37026
07/07/07 09:21 PM
07/07/07 09:21 PM
WA State
Roadster_wa Offline
Roadster_wa  Offline

WA State
Here is that Nu Finish stuff... $6.00 at Fred Meyers.

3615978-nufinish.JPG (424 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37027
07/08/07 02:48 PM
07/08/07 02:48 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Tumbleweed rolls by...

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37028
07/08/07 04:03 PM
07/08/07 04:03 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Depending on which Rust Stop paint they had it was either listed as Solvent or Oil based for some reason. Even if it wasn't the exactly same as Rustoleum it should be pretty close, they even had all the popular Rustoleum colors under the Ace label, Harbor Blue, Regal Red etc..

I got some of the Safety Green to practice, i'll post some pics to show what it looks like on a panal when I can get to it.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Roadster_wa] #37029
07/08/07 08:12 PM
07/08/07 08:12 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That shine is awesome. Great job on the paint.

I've used that nu-finish liquid before. Good stuff as wipe-and-shine products go. It keeps the bird droppings and tree sap from sticking, anyway. Needs to be re-applied every three weeks or so to maintain protection if left to the elements.

You did give the paint a few days to dry first, right?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37030
07/08/07 08:54 PM
07/08/07 08:54 PM
WA State
Roadster_wa Offline
Roadster_wa  Offline

WA State
Quote:

That shine is awesome. Great job on the paint.

You did give the paint a few days to dry first, right?

Actually, I let it bake in the 100 degree heat for 11 hours and started waxing at the 22 hour mark. The paint was hard as nails. I'll get to buffing it in a month or so...

As my friends say, "It's just a Chevy"

heh...

3617800-coat5a.JPG (348 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Roadster_wa] #37031
07/08/07 08:59 PM
07/08/07 08:59 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I just got in the house to give the arms a rest. I just put my 1st coat (by hand) of "Nu Finish" on the vette. The shine is great and you would have never guessed it was painted with a roller.

I havn't buffed it at all. Just put the Nu Finish on over the last coat I put on last night.

I'll let it harden a bit before I do anything with a buffer.

Now I have a long day in front of me to get it put back together.

Here is another picture with 5 coats and the wax:

Whoa, thats a good shine even with Nu-Finish...

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37032
07/08/07 10:28 PM
07/08/07 10:28 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Probably should have asked before I did it but...

rustoleum + engine bay = ok right? heatwise I mean.. It looks great but I'm slightly nervous about any problems I might have with heat in the future, Its not like I painted inches from the exhaust manifold or anything but still?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37033
07/09/07 09:28 AM
07/09/07 09:28 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Probably should have asked before I did it but...

rustoleum + engine bay = ok right? heatwise I mean.. It looks great but I'm slightly nervous about any problems I might have with heat in the future, Its not like I painted inches from the exhaust manifold or anything but still?

Ever seen how HOT beetle rear aprons and engine bays get? Here's a pic of my engine bay in my 74 beetle, they get really really hot, and under the rear apron is a pair of glass packed muflers that sit about 1/2" away from the metal, and the headers sit the same around the sides and top. Also the paint on this motor (the actual tins; blue paint) was painted at the same time I originally painted the car, it's dupli-color's engine enamel, that paint is AWESOME, it sprays like an air brush out of the can and lasts forever!!! I think you'll have no issues with heat at all, just give it at least a week to cure for the really hot areas.

Page 36 of 167 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 166 167