07/02/07 12:45 PM
07/02/07 12:45 PM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline OP
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline OP
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
Ryan I'd say just about as soon as you get it home. Remember you are going to have to deal with bubles caused by the rolling process.
Good luck

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: 69DartGT] #36955
07/02/07 02:27 PM
07/02/07 02:27 PM
Maine
B
Blackstone Offline
Blackstone  Offline
B

Maine
Quote:

Ryan I'd say just about as soon as you get it home. Remember you are going to have to deal with bubles caused by the rolling process.
Good luck

I agree. Some of these paints, regardless of how they're mixed, will leave bubbles. Bubbles have proven impossible to avoid with the Top Secret marine paint I'm using and a Rustoleum black experiment I did, but I've found the roll-and-tip method using a 3" foam brush highly effective with both paints. As lightly as possible, I chase the bubbles after every 2-3 roller strokes with the foam brush. It's amazing how well the brush strokes will level off.

I'll post some pictures of my results within the next day or two. This Top Secret product is incredible.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36956
07/02/07 03:53 PM
07/02/07 03:53 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

If I want a color that Rustoleum doesn't come in, and I have the color made, i.e., the store has to mix in pigments and then SHAKE IT to mix the pigments thoroughly into the base, how long will I have to wait before I can expect the bubbles in it to dissipate and I can roll it on? Can I just stir it instead and expect the pigment to mix well enough? Anyone with experience with this? Thanks

if i recall correctly someone way back said that if you put the paint in the freezer the bubbles will dissapate overnight? but i'm not entirely sure that is correct.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36957
07/02/07 04:03 PM
07/02/07 04:03 PM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline OP
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline OP
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
Quote:

if i recall correctly someone way back said that if you put the paint in the freezer the bubbles will dissapate overnight? but i'm not entirely sure that is correct.

That would worry me most paint have a "Do not freeze" warning on them.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36958
07/02/07 04:22 PM
07/02/07 04:22 PM
Maine
B
Blackstone Offline
Blackstone  Offline
B

Maine
I haven't heard of that one, but I've had good luck freezing my rollers and brushes in a ziplock bag for re-use later. This worked fine for rustoleum, I haven't yet re-used my marine paint rollers. What's odd is that nothing really freezes when it's loaded with paint. I just let them sit in the sun for 15-20 minutes before rolling.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Blackstone] #36959
07/02/07 05:16 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i would imagine what i do for resin would work too. take an old igloo cooler. one that seals like the yellow ones for football or what ever. rig up a tube to hook a vacuum hose up to. then turn the vac on. it pulls all the bubbles out of my resin. thats 100x thicker than paint

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Blackstone] #36960

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Blackstone] #36961
07/02/07 05:54 PM
07/02/07 05:54 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

the Top Secret marine paint I'm using

Which Top Secret are you using, and also what color?

Thanks.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36962
07/02/07 08:23 PM
07/02/07 08:23 PM
Maine
B
Blackstone Offline
Blackstone  Offline
B

Maine
Quote:

Quote:

the Top Secret marine paint I'm using

Which Top Secret are you using, and also what color?

Thanks.

It's their TS-4 urethane-reinforced alkyd enamel. The color is called "Retreat"... kinda mustardy-tan-ish I guess. I'm extremely pleased with it thus far considering my facilities(back lawn, as close as I can get to the garden hose).

These pictures were taken tonight, two hours after rolling my second coat thinned about 25%with no wet sanding yet. I've got a bit of peel and a fair amount of insects to knock down tomorrow night but I think I'm going to dig the final product.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: 69DartGT] #36963
07/02/07 11:58 PM
07/02/07 11:58 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I went to Lowe's and they told me they can't mix up different colors in Rustoleum. Anyone know if this is true? Has anyone gotten different colors mixed in Rustoleum and the girl at Lowe's just didn't know wht she was talking about? I wanted to get a teal.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36964
07/03/07 07:20 AM
07/03/07 07:20 AM
Maine
B
Blackstone Offline
Blackstone  Offline
B

Maine
I think I recall someone saying that one of the hardware chains can mix Rusto. Ace has been mentioned alot here, maybe give them a call.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36965
07/03/07 10:58 AM
07/03/07 10:58 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Mixing Rustoleum is not a problem.
My local Home Depot offered to mix it (they would shake it rather than stir) but in the end I mixed it myself. I mixed a dark blue and a white to get a light blue, and it came out great.
I mixed it at home in my garage in stages.
Basically, I had five quarts to mix, and only a four quart pot. So, I'd pour some blue and some white into the pot, stir it, and pour it back into the cans. Then I'd pour some more, stir it, return it to the cans etc etc....It took about 25 minutes to have the whole lot mixed together - and of course, with hindsight if I'd had a 2 gallon pot I could have mixed the whole lot in one go.
Anyway, regardless of how you actually mix it - at Lowes, Home Depot, or at home, you can definitely mix the stuff.

Of course, you've got to know what colour you're aiming for before you buy the paint, and you'll have to do some trial and error before you get the exact shade you want, but that's always the case.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36966
07/03/07 01:11 PM
07/03/07 01:11 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So, that's mixing together 2 colors of Rusto paint, right? What about making a new color with a base of Rustoleum by adding pigments to it to make a color Rusto doesn't offer? Would the pigments mix in with the kind of paint that Rustoleum is? Thanks

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36967
07/03/07 01:16 PM
07/03/07 01:16 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Properly applied and buffed Brightside seems to really produce an incredible shine. Has anyone tried the Interlux Perfection paints? They claim to be the best finish Interlux offers.
Great smileys on this board btw. Lol

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36968
07/03/07 01:37 PM
07/03/07 01:37 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

So, that's mixing together 2 colors of Rusto paint, right? What about making a new color with a base of Rustoleum by adding pigments to it to make a color Rusto doesn't offer? Would the pigments mix in with the kind of paint that Rustoleum is? Thanks

If your in a gambling mood I know for certain that Ace will mix custom colors of thier "Rust Stop" brand paint. But as far as I know no one on any of the threads have tried it yet. a couple of guys said they were gonna use it but I never saw them post any results.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36969
07/03/07 01:41 PM
07/03/07 01:41 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes - this was mixing two Rusto colors.
Now, as for adding pigments.....
I don't know how/if they'd affect the paint at a chemical level. In theory, it should be OK - as long as you had the right pigments.
But why go to that trouble/risk anyway? Rusto comes in all the primary colors, plus black and white, so you should be able to mix up any color you like.
To try out the colors before you take the plunge and buy some big Rusto cans, maybe you could experiment with some of those little modelers' enamels?
What color are you trying to achieve?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Blackstone] #36970
07/03/07 06:54 PM
07/03/07 06:54 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

It's their TS-4 urethane-reinforced alkyd enamel. The color is called "Retreat"... kinda mustardy-tan-ish I guess. I'm extremely pleased with it thus far considering my facilities(back lawn, as close as I can get to the garden hose).

That is good to know. I have been waiting for someone that has used this to post. So I will be monitoring your progress carefully.

Good luck.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36971
07/03/07 09:08 PM
07/03/07 09:08 PM
Maine
B
Blackstone Offline
Blackstone  Offline
B

Maine
Quote:

[That is good to know. I have been waiting for someone that has used this to post. So I will be monitoring your progress carefully.

Good luck.

Don't be discouraged if it doesn't work for me. Other than what I remember from reading these three threads, I'm clueless when it comes to paint.

Here's what I've learned:
-The paint has been curing very well within the 24 hour window.
-Excellent gloss but looking first-hand at a wetsanded finish, I'm finding it hard to believe that that jaw-dropping shine can be brought back with my bare hands (A little encouragement here would be cool).

I'm at a crossroads where things could easily turn ugly from here, as I just wetsanded for my first time... EVER. Using 600 grit I knocked down the brush strokes and achieved a smooth surface fairly easily, sanding through in a couple spots but I'm getting the hang of it.

This image has given me a bit of hope:

One thing that concerns me has been these small, shiny spots. Previous layer??? Is the remedy a thicker third coat?

Last edited by Blackstone; 07/03/07 10:06 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Blackstone] #36972
07/04/07 05:37 AM
07/04/07 05:37 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

I'm finding it hard to believe that that jaw-dropping shine can be brought back with my bare hands (A little encouragement here would be cool).

Hopefully... 'by hand' means using a power polisher and not literally 'by hand'. and remember that ANY rough surface can be made to shine and have a high level of gloss IF it is polished enough. That is why the final wet sand... final rubbing compound... final polishing and waxing will make the difference between a 20 footer... a 10 footer... and a 2 footer...

Quote:

I'm at a crossroads where things could easily turn ugly from here, as I just wetsanded for my first time... EVER. Using 600 grit I knocked down the brush strokes and achieved a smooth surface fairly easily, sanding through in a couple spots but I'm getting the hang of it.

One thing that concerns me has been these small, shiny spots. Previous layer??? Is the remedy a thicker third coat?

Have you ever gone to a skating rink and watched a Zamboni machine prepare the ice ? In a way that is a good way to envision what you are trying to accomplish. The Zamboni goes over the ice and scrapes away the roughened top layer of the ice and then lays down a fresh coat of water over the freshly scraped surface ( which fills in any scratches below the top layer and creates a new top layer ( which will freeze and provide a smooth and shiny top surface ).

If there are shiny patches... it may mean that that is a lower layer that did not feather in with the wetsanding of a higher layer. Sometimes that happens and all you can hope for is that your next coat will level the two layers to one uniform layer. You could provide that shiny spot with some additional wet sanding... BUT it may be lowering that layer so that the next coat of paint won't be able to top it up enough to bring it equal to the majority of the paint layers.

You must resist the urge to go too thick at this point. It will be far better in the overall process to lay down two thin layers as per the recipe.

Impatience and a rush to speed up the process and thick layers usually lead to the orange peel effect. So just keep working like a Zamboni and you will end up with the smoothest surface

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Blackstone] #36973
07/04/07 10:43 AM
07/04/07 10:43 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hi....have read all 100 plus pages and taking the plunge. I do have some questions regarding decals.

I read that after final buffing and polishing that the polishing compound has to be removed for the decals, pinstripe tape, etc., to properly adhere to the surface.

My question is this...should/can the decals and pin striping tape be applied before the final polishing?
It would seem that this would be a much easier route as striping tape is so thin.

Question #2....I am painting a VERY large vehicle, a Dodge Ramcharger, with a lot of surface area. Should I do panels, doors, etc. separately?

Thanks for all the great info and kudos to all who have contributed their experiences to a great topic!

Page 33 of 167 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 166 167