06/24/07 03:24 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I couldnt wait any longer to see how it looks polished so i did a quick 2000wetsand/polish/wax... 5 minutes tops for all that and i got this... in the last picture you can see some tiny scratches what would that be from? i did wetsand with 800 before the 2000 so it might just be left over 800 that wasnt sanded out.. (this was just a test to see how it cames out buy the way)

I don't mean any disrespect but those scratches were caused by you rushing and not using the proper products.

You should never ever ever do any quick sanding. The wet sanding of our paint jobs is critical to getting a perfect finish. You should never need to use 800 on your top coat. Use 1500 at an absolute minimum (although you really would be better off using 2000) and wet sand slowly and carefully. You should also do all of your pre-detailing wet sanding in short straight strokes.

Proper detailing is very different to just polishing. Polish is designed to give a painted surface a depth of shine. After wet sanding you should be trying to remove all of the sanding marks on the paint surface. To do this you will need a cutting compound or a swirl remover. You should also follow a proper 'polishing' technique whereby you apply the product at low speed with a polisher and once it has been worked into the paint, then increasing the polishers speed and working in the product until most of the residue has been buffed away. Then you wipe away the remenants with a cloth.

The pic below shows my hardtop after two passes with Poorboy's SSR3 with a cutting pad, using my random orbital polisher.

If you take your time wet sanding and then use proper products you can get a 'perfect' finish.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36876
06/24/07 07:09 AM
06/24/07 07:09 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

my question is, is there a specific brand roller i should be getting. i see everyone saying something about a 4 inch roller. the ones i saw at walmart were 9" smooth surface foam roller. they were sold individually. i didnt think they were what i needed to i didnt buy any. do i need to go to home depot/lowes to get the right ones? if someone could give me a list of companies/product numbers thatd be great.

thanks.

EVERYTHING YOU REALLY DIDN'T WANT TO KNOW ABOUT 4" HIGH DENSITY FOAM ROLLERS

I don't think we could build an all inclusive list of the specific brand names underwhich the high density foam 4 inch rollers are sold under.

There may only be one or two companies that actually manufacture them... but they package them and sell them under a wide variety of brand names.

Normally the key things we do know about the high density foam rollers is that :

a ) the packaging usually mentions something about them being high density

b ) the rollers are usually made of a white foam. The crappy 4 inch rollers are almost always yellow foam or black foam. BUT there are 'cheap' or low density foam rollers out there that are white.

c ) I did notice that the real high density foam rollers almost always had a yellowy or hard plastic center core. The cheapo rollers almost always had a black plastic center core. BUT even this is not a consistent way to reliably identify the real high density compared to the cheapo or lower density sponge rollers.

d ) the packaging usually makes mention of the rollers being ideal for painting melanine surfaces

e ) the squish factor. If you pinch a high density foam roller between your fingers... there will be a significant difference in how easily you can squish it betwwen your fingers compared to the low density 'cheapo crappo' foam rollers.

f ) if you look very carefully at the surface texture of a high density foam roller - you will notice that the pores on its surface are something like a marshmallow - meaning that there are only very small air pockets in it. The cheapo crappo rollers look more like a sponge - in that the cheapo rollers have large air gaps in the surface. Naturally this is what makes the difference between 'high density' and 'crappo density'... less air pockets in the foam means that there is a higher density or amount of the foam material compared to the amount of and size of the air pockets.

I was able to find the right type of high density foam rollers at Home Depot, Reno Depot, Loews and just about any 'REAL' paint stores.

At the 'Dollar' type stores - they almost always are selling bogus or look-a-like high density foam rollers. They look like the real thing - but they actually are made of a lower density foam.

It's kind of difficult to tell the difference between the 4 inch foam rollers unless you have actually seen and pinched the two different types. It's sort of like telling someone that you are to paint your car in a coffee color... when different people have a different vision of what 'coffee color' looks like. I put two creams in my coffee for example and other folks drink it black. So my vision of coffee would be far lighter in color then someone who has only seen a black cup of coffee.

So IF you have a genuine paint store in close proximity to you.. Sherwin-Williams, Color-Your-World, Benjamin Moore etc... the odds are extremely high that they would only sell the high density foam roller.

But even in this example, you have to be certain that you are looking at a 4 inch high density roller rather than one of the 10 or 12 inch foam rollers. Normally those larger size rollers are the cheaper lower density foam - because they are designed to roll latex paints and act as a substitute for the more familiar 'fuzzy' type roller.

Once you do stumble on at least ona genuine high density foam roller you will then be able to easily detect the difference with the lower density 'crappy' foam rollers that are out there.

And just to confirm why it is the high density foam rollers that are recommended... it is because the cheapo foam rollers have larger air pockets in them. If you are using a cheapo foam roller, those larger air pockets in the foam will transfer larger air bubbles to the surfaces you are painting ( and that is a bad thing ). The high density foam have smaller and less air pockets - and accordingly they transfer less and smaller air bubbles to the surface you are painting.

Hope this generic synopsis helps you find the 'right' high density foam roller.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36877
06/24/07 07:17 AM
06/24/07 07:17 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

what about these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHUR-LINE-3715-FOAM-...VQQcmdZViewItem

or these

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shur-Line-6-Foam-Min...VQQcmdZViewItem

The first one... with the 4" rollers look OK... but I would not use the 6" rollers in the second eBay listing.

The 6" high density and the 10 and 12 inch high density don't do this paint rolling job as well. I tried the larger sizes and returned back to the 4 inch.

The 4 inch foam rollers are better suited at delivering a more balanced and equal amount of paint across their entire rolling surface. The larger size foam rollers don't load up the paint or apply it as evenly. Also the 4 inch roller has better manoeverability around a car body then the largers size high density foam rollers.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #36878
06/24/07 11:19 AM
06/24/07 11:19 AM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline
I Love the Unicorn Song!!
Gusteve  Offline

Flint, MI
Quote:

Quote:

what about these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHUR-LINE-3715-FOAM-...VQQcmdZViewItem

or these

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shur-Line-6-Foam-Min...VQQcmdZViewItem

The first one... with the 4" rollers look OK... but I would not use the 6" rollers in the second eBay listing.

Also - when you add in the shipping they aren't any less expensive than buying them at Lowes or Home Depot.

I just bought two 5 packs at Home Depot the other day and I think they were $5.97 each.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Roadster_wa] #36879
06/24/07 11:22 AM
06/24/07 11:22 AM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline
Gusteve  Offline

Flint, MI
Quote:

Here is the vette on coat two...

Is that Brightside or Rustoleum?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36880
06/24/07 11:39 AM
06/24/07 11:39 AM
WA State
Roadster_wa Offline
Roadster_wa  Offline

WA State
Quote :

" my question is, is there a specific brand roller i should be getting. i see everyone saying something about a 4 inch roller. the ones i saw at walmart were 9" smooth surface foam roller. they were sold individually. i didnt think they were what i needed to i didnt buy any. do i need to go to home depot/lowes to get the right ones? if someone could give me a list of companies/product numbers thatd be great. "

After spending a bit of searching at Walmart, all the rollers here in Spokane's store were crap. I ended up going to Home Depot and got these. They worked great...

3587299-roller.JPG (303 downloads)
Last edited by Roadster_wa; 06/24/07 11:40 AM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Gusteve] #36881
06/24/07 11:45 AM
06/24/07 11:45 AM
WA State
Roadster_wa Offline
Roadster_wa  Offline

WA State
Quote:

This is the Rustoleum you buy at walmart. $7.65 a can. So far, it isn't to hard to put on. I also have a few dust bunnies to work out, but overall, as long as I can get it to harden up, I'll be doing it on a few more toys...

A few posts back, someone said that doing it this way gives you a "4 foot" car paint job. Heck, coat 2 did this... I think that if it buffs out and wet sands like everyone says, I'll get a "good" paint job out of all of this for $30.

I think the funnest thing in all this is the fact that it is a vette and I'm rollin' it on... The looks on people's faces.

I'll start wet sanding tonight.

3587320-coat2.JPG (315 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Roadster_wa] #36882
06/24/07 11:54 AM
06/24/07 11:54 AM
WA State
Roadster_wa Offline
Roadster_wa  Offline

WA State
Here is another picture of coat one. Notice the bubbles? I had to "work" them out. It is kinda an art to all this...

3587339-coat1.JPG (411 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36883
06/24/07 01:20 PM
06/24/07 01:20 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I don't mean any disrespect but those scratches were caused by you rushing and not using the proper products.

You should never ever ever do any quick sanding. The wet sanding of our paint jobs is critical to getting a perfect finish. You should never need to use 800 on your top coat. Use 1500 at an absolute minimum (although you really would be better off using 2000) and wet sand slowly and carefully. You should also do all of your pre-detailing wet sanding in short straight strokes.

Proper detailing is very different to just polishing. Polish is designed to give a painted surface a depth of shine. After wet sanding you should be trying to remove all of the sanding marks on the paint surface. To do this you will need a cutting compound or a swirl remover. You should also follow a proper 'polishing' technique whereby you apply the product at low speed with a polisher and once it has been worked into the paint, then increasing the polishers speed and working in the product until most of the residue has been buffed away. Then you wipe away the remenants with a cloth.

The pic below shows my hardtop after two passes with Poorboy's SSR3 with a cutting pad, using my random orbital polisher.

If you take your time wet sanding and then use proper products you can get a 'perfect' finish.

Just the man I've been itching to ask. Aussie Driver, can I see a picture of your random orbital?

I just finished Interlux Brightside Black a few days ago. I am researching which machine to purchase. A detailer from a forum said I should buy a rotary polisher, they said they don't think a random orbital can remove all the wetsanding scratches. But I am curious since you have already experienced this perfectly with a random orbital + SSR2.5.

Please let me know what you can suggest or recommend.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36884
06/24/07 02:03 PM
06/24/07 02:03 PM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline
Gusteve  Offline

Flint, MI
Quote:

Just the man I've been itching to ask. Aussie Driver, can I see a picture of your random orbital?

I just finished Interlux Brightside Black a few days ago. I am researching which machine to purchase. A detailer from a forum said I should buy a rotary polisher, they said they don't think a random orbital can remove all the wetsanding scratches. But I am curious since you have already experienced this perfectly with a random orbital + SSR2.5.

I think the difference your other guy was referring to is a polisher vs. a buffer. You can get the random orbital buffers anywhere for about $25, but they don't do nearly the same job as a nice variable speed random orbital polisher that'll cost you $125.

You can get vairable speed rotary polishers for less than $125, but they are not random orbital so you have to be REALLY careful not to screw up your paint.

Although, I won't be surprised if Aussie was able to use a $25 buffer to get his gloss because he is THE MAN.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Gusteve] #36885
06/24/07 02:11 PM
06/24/07 02:11 PM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline OP
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline OP
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
I bought a Porter Cable 7424 off ebag from these guys, I love it use it on all the cars.
price was right also..
http://cgi.ebay.com/Porter-Cable-7424-Ca...1QQcmdZViewItem

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Roadster_wa] #36886
06/24/07 02:17 PM
06/24/07 02:17 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Quote:

This is the Rustoleum you buy at walmart. $7.65 a can. So far, it isn't to hard to put on. I also have a few dust bunnies to work out, but overall, as long as I can get it to harden up, I'll be doing it on a few more toys...

That would have been the absolutely ideal body to have done the Brightside on... since the Vette body is so similar to the fiberglass and gel coat used on boats ( for which Brightside is normally applied to ).

It will be interesting to see how the Rustoleum holds up on the Vette body. All I can recall from my past is that bodywork and painting on Vettes usually required slightly different prepping and painting than regular cars at the Pro paint shops. And usually the pro-paints charge more to do them.... and half of the shops wouldn't even try to do them.

If you do encounter adhesion problems with the Rustoleum/Tremclad... at least you will know that you can safely fall back to the Brightside.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #36887
06/24/07 04:24 PM
06/24/07 04:24 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well, looks like I have to hold up on the paint once again. I went to lowes yesterday to get some tarps to line the garage with. And of course what has to happen? Some ^%*((^#&#)% hits my car... I just wished I was there when he did it.

I attempted to bang out as much as I could, but its never going to be straight as an arrow. So it looks like i'm looking for a driver side fender now. =/

I hate dumb drivers... Can anyone drive like a decent human being in NY? NO!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: 69DartGT] #36888
06/24/07 04:26 PM
06/24/07 04:26 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

marq, steve c., roadster-- thanks for the input. marq, your explanation really helped me out. theres a sherwin williams store close to the boat store where ill have to pick up the paint. ill just stop by there and buy rollers.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36889
06/24/07 05:07 PM
06/24/07 05:07 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

There are two types of polisher/buffer that you can purchase. A rotary (as suggested to you from the detailing forum) will do a brilliant job in getting the paint to look like a mirror. But, in inexperienced hands they are potentially dangerous to the paint. I have a rotary and I will only use it occasionally on flat surfaces. I have burned straight through a clear coat, the color coat and the primer on one panel that I was learning on. It was dead easy to wreck.

I much prefer to use my random orbital polisher(s). The ones that I have are a similar spec to a PC 7424 and they will do just as good a job as a rotary. They just take a lot longer to get there.

You can see the polisher in the shot above. It is very similar to a PC 7427 but it is made in Australia. This one is an Ozito brand and it is a copy of my other random orbital polisher which is a Ryobi (The Ryobi is blue and the Ozito is grey and that is about the only difference between them).

Tha pads that you can see in the picture are Wolfgang buffing pads. I'm pretty sure that the same pads are available in the US marketed under the Lake County brand. The yellow pad is a cutting pad, and the orange pad is a light cutting pad. The brown polish is Poorboy's SSR3 (cutting compound) and the purple polish is SSR2.5. That shot was taken after the buffing of the hardtop that is further up the page. It does show how much pick-up there is from the cutting compound/cutting pad.

As to which polisher you should buy, I would recommend the PC 7424 and the Lake County buffing pads. They are expensive but they are up to the job and they also give you the opportunity to re-coup some of your costs. I do a bit of detailing on the side and that only started because of my paintjob on a budget. I have paid for my two random orbital polishers and about half of my products just from detailing other peoples cars.

Once they see the shots of what I have done with a roller paintjob, they get a little misty-eyed thinking about how good their "real" paintjob could look after detailing. It's an easy sell!!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36890
06/24/07 07:09 PM
06/24/07 07:09 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

2.) Windshield or other windows' rubber trim: If not removing the glass and surround, for spraying I've heard of wedging a cord or rope underneath the rubber trim to keep it way from the metal surface. When spraying, this allows some spray to shoot underneath the rubber trim -- so as not to create a hard paint line.

I just seen this post.. (Yeah, I'm like a week late) dose anyone care to enlighten me on how to do this? - Ive been just taping off my trim and Ive had slight lines that I figured I'd just pinstrip to blend in next to the trim.

Quote:

Like I said I did it really quick.. didnt mean to hit it with 800 before 2000 I was dying to mess with polishing it and see how rusto polishes up first hand.. I was going to put 1 or 2 more coats on it but it had quite a base and figured it was thick enough so I tried to just hit it with 2000 from 800.. as for the polish I just used some old 3M Machine Polish I had laying around but yeah I'm definitely going to try and find some SSR3.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36891
06/24/07 08:06 PM
06/24/07 08:06 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well I started on my practice piece and I must say that #566 is one bright green. The first coat i put on had a tiny bit of orange peel but not enuf to worry about till the second coat when I wet sand it,

Any comments on the textured plastic pieces yet? I haven't seen any that have it yet other wise I wouldn't ask.

Thanks J.P.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36892
06/24/07 09:11 PM
06/24/07 09:11 PM
Ontario, Canada
78D150CLUB Offline
My avatar is a self portrait!!
78D150CLUB  Offline
My avatar is a self portrait!!

Ontario, Canada
If you mean Tremclad 566, yes it is a bright green. Very close match to SubLime, from my experience. If you're close to London, and need any extra, pm me. I bought a quart and never used it, too bright for what I wanted.

I want to die like my Grampa, peacefully, in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36893
06/24/07 09:12 PM
06/24/07 09:12 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You probably just sold me on getting a random orbital then. If random orbital's can achieve what you did after wetsanding Interlux Brightside, then there is no reason why I cannot get the same results...

I am using the same paint as you are. So I should get similar results if I mimic what you did.

Thanks Aussie Driver!

Quote:

Quote:

There are two types of polisher/buffer that you can purchase. A rotary (as suggested to you from the detailing forum) will do a brilliant job in getting the paint to look like a mirror. But, in inexperienced hands they are potentially dangerous to the paint. I have a rotary and I will only use it occasionally on flat surfaces. I have burned straight through a clear coat, the color coat and the primer on one panel that I was learning on. It was dead easy to wreck.

I much prefer to use my random orbital polisher(s). The ones that I have are a similar spec to a PC 7424 and they will do just as good a job as a rotary. They just take a lot longer to get there.

You can see the polisher in the shot above. It is very similar to a PC 7427 but it is made in Australia. This one is an Ozito brand and it is a copy of my other random orbital polisher which is a Ryobi (The Ryobi is blue and the Ozito is grey and that is about the only difference between them).

Tha pads that you can see in the picture are Wolfgang buffing pads. I'm pretty sure that the same pads are available in the US marketed under the Lake County brand. The yellow pad is a cutting pad, and the orange pad is a light cutting pad. The brown polish is Poorboy's SSR3 (cutting compound) and the purple polish is SSR2.5. That shot was taken after the buffing of the hardtop that is further up the page. It does show how much pick-up there is from the cutting compound/cutting pad.

As to which polisher you should buy, I would recommend the PC 7424 and the Lake County buffing pads. They are expensive but they are up to the job and they also give you the opportunity to re-coup some of your costs. I do a bit of detailing on the side and that only started because of my paintjob on a budget. I have paid for my two random orbital polishers and about half of my products just from detailing other peoples cars.

Once they see the shots of what I have done with a roller paintjob, they get a little misty-eyed thinking about how good their "real" paintjob could look after detailing. It's an easy sell!!

Page 29 of 167 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 166 167