06/22/07 07:30 PM
06/22/07 07:30 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hey they look like they belong to the same family! It makes the official Interlux product look like it doesn't belong with the Brightside! They used green when their products have a red package...

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36856
06/22/07 07:32 PM
06/22/07 07:32 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

very nice work 93civic. fyi, I have wetsanded and polished my brightside paint only 1 day after rolling it on, without problems. I used both my rotary and DA PC polisher without problems. Even used a yellow LC cutting pad with the rotary, without messing up the paint. Brightside does dry pretty quick (dries to the touch in about 4 hours here in Hawaii). Even with time, however, it dries nowhere near as hard as other paints. The lacquer paint on my friends' cars are like 4X harder than this paint. My spoiler has had brightside on it for almost 40 days, and it is still fairly soft. I was thinking of adding some Japan Dryer to the brightside paint to quicken the drying, since it's available at Home Depot. Also, despite the added teflon in the paint, I find it difficult to clean (especially dried water spots) the surface.

Thanks! I don't have a DA or Rotary so I am researching what machine to buy, what pads to buy, what products to buy. It's all a learning experience for me! A detailer said I should learn how to use a Rotary...

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36857
06/22/07 07:56 PM
06/22/07 07:56 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I got done painting the car and reassembled. It needs a bit of wet sanding to get out a few brush marks and also some orange peel. Then polishing time

Thanks marq and everyone else that helped me paint it.. Both times

Brightside Sapphire blue

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36858
06/22/07 11:05 PM
06/22/07 11:05 PM
Edgerton WI
D
Donny O. Offline
Donny O.  Offline
D

Edgerton WI
Nova.....personaly I like that color a whole lot better than the previous color you used on it. good work!!

my progress has been very slow due to lack of time. I have the trunk of my sidecar sanded and hit part of it with a rattle can of the color I chose to see if that is the color I want and I think i'm gonna go with it....burgundy rustoleum. should get some done this weekend unless my wife comes up with a huge honey-do list!! will come back with pictures!!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Donny O.] #36859
06/22/07 11:53 PM
06/22/07 11:53 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Looking good Nova! I painted a test fender Rustoleum Royal blue and it looks almost the same =)

Nice

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36860
06/23/07 12:27 AM
06/23/07 12:27 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks! After a few coats of rustoleum royal blue it got really dark for me. I tested it on the spoiler before I did a car and decided I didn't like the color. I ended up painting my bike that color then It just wasn't right for this car. I was aiming to get close to daytona electric blue used on nissan 350z's. This is pretty close just not wet looking.

Good luck with the rusto though. Thanks for the comment on the color. This is what I thought the largo blue that I originally used would look like from the color swatch and the online picture. It was severely misleading. I love this color though. I just went the next shade of blue darker after seeing flag blue look almost like a black.

Re: New Paint job on a beater [Re: FarDarter] #36861
06/23/07 03:49 AM
06/23/07 03:49 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Rustoleum roller here. After putting my first coat on too thick by the guidelines established here, I'm starting to wonder if it might be the right way to do it after all. I wetsanded it down to get the peel out and broke through to primer in a number of areas but was left with a decent coat of black paint.

Last night I did a layer of "properly" thinned paint and while it did lay down with absolutely no peel at all, I'm left wondering about something. There is quite a lot of "stuff" in the paint: dust, fibers, cottonwood lint... I really don't see myself painting a second coat over that junk as prescribed by the method, yet I'm afraid that sanding it enough to remove the stuff will just take my whole layer off, since it's so thin. I'm tempted to just go back to thicker coats and peel sanding. Any opinions on this matter?

I just finished rolling my final coat of Rustoleum Professional Gloss black. I did a total of 5 coats. I would have done more but I'm pressed for time since this is my vacation and the car is my daily driver. I used a 1/4 cup measuring cup to measure my paint. I mixed my paint @ 1-1/2 cups paint to 3/4 cups mineral spirits. This mix laid down nice and smooth but was still thick enough that I could wetsand off all of the peel without burning through the layer. I have an old dusty garage and I got lots of dust and even some bugs in my coats. I wetsanded after every coat of paint. Before todays final coat I wetsanded the car with 2000 grit and only cut off the tops of the peel and the dust in order to leave a little more paint thickness on the car. It came out super smooth. I'll post some pics when I get her completed this weekend.

Re: New Paint job on a beater #36862
06/23/07 04:08 AM
06/23/07 04:08 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Okay, I just gotta tell you guys this story because it is too cool. the other night, after we had rolled on coat 3, my neighbor came over to see what we were up too. Normally I would chalk this up to basic curiosity, except that my neighbor is the owner of the local Body Shop and has been a painter nearly all his life. When he saw the Probe he immediately complemented me on how awesome it looked and he asked me how I sprayed it. I then proceeded to explain the whole process to him. I was expecting him to scoff at the idea but instead he quipped that he was going to have to contact his supplier to see if they could get him some rustoleum, so he could try it. He went on to say that the oil based enamel was the type of paint they put on cars pre 1980(he's and older guy) and the process of coating and sanding is exactly how they used to do their enamel paintjobs. In fact he has a Hearse that is his personal project car and he said that coincidentally he is shooting that car with enamel "Old School" before his visit he had seen me working on the car and I thought that he was probably laughing about it. His vist confirmed the opposite and I've beeen stoked ever since knowing that a "Professional" Painter is Endorsing Charger's system

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36863
06/23/07 02:59 PM
06/23/07 02:59 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hey guys!

I've been reading this for a couple weeks now and think i am ready to try this.

I have one question to ask, that is my car has plastic bumpers and side skirts that aren't smooth their textured so would the paint still adhere to it the same as a smooth piece or should i try to sand it smooth before hand.

I'm thinking of going Tremclad #566 with a yellow tremclad primer

Thanks in advance and all the help this thread has been

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36864
06/23/07 06:51 PM
06/23/07 06:51 PM
WA State
Roadster_wa Offline
Roadster_wa  Offline

WA State
I too am having fun playing with this whole idea... We rolled the first coat on a 76 corvette. You should see the faces of some of the $5000 paint people. They have a hard time believing that it was put on with a roller.

Just wondering about the front and back plastic bumpers...

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Roadster_wa] #36865
06/23/07 08:09 PM
06/23/07 08:09 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I couldnt wait any longer to see how it looks polished so i did a quick 2000wetsand/polish/wax... 5 minutes tops for all that and i got this... in the last picture you can see some tiny scratches what would that be from? i did wetsand with 800 before the 2000 so it might just be left over 800 that wasnt sanded out.. (this was just a test to see how it cames out buy the way)

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36866
06/23/07 09:14 PM
06/23/07 09:14 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

After reading every single post and viewing every attached picture/video, I'm also preparing to follow suit like so many others here. I found out about this thread from a post on MopedArmy.com. Now, personally I think it silly do work through this process on a moped (a real rattle can project), but I know this is a PERFECT project for my convertible.

I've long needed paint on my car. Since the day I got it actually. About 3 years ago I decided it was going to have to be a two-tone job - Dk Red and Black. Going through 1.5 years worth of posts and checking out paint suppliers, I was starting to get depressed thinking I wasn't going to find a sample of what I was wanting - Then I saw pics posted by 73Bugg. He used the colors I wanted, and ironically enough, on a VW too! Only difference is that I'm going the other way around - black on the bottom and red on top.

The car I'm going to be working on is a 1985 VW Cabriolet. Original color (according to the door jams, trunk, and behind all the trim/mirrors/door handles/etc) is Titan Red Metallic. It was a factory BC/CC. A previous owner got a Maaco/Scheib job ontop of that in what i assume once was a true red that has been completely beaten by neglect and weather.

Still haven't decided if I should go ahead and try to add the metal flake like 78D150CLUB has done or not... I think I'd kinda like to get it back... hard to say

anyways
Cheers to every one that has helped contribute, and g'luck to everyone working on their projects!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36867
06/23/07 10:44 PM
06/23/07 10:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I couldnt wait any longer to see how it looks polished so i did a quick 2000wetsand/polish/wax... 5 minutes tops for all that and i got this... in the last picture you can see some tiny scratches what would that be from? i did wetsand with 800 before the 2000 so it might just be left over 800 that wasnt sanded out.. (this was just a test to see how it cames out buy the way)

i got the same thing on my trunk, and i asked a few friends that paint vehicles on what to do. i will know hopfully tommarow and i will post here.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36868
06/23/07 11:46 PM
06/23/07 11:46 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

I got done painting the car and reassembled. It needs a bit of wet sanding to get out a few brush marks and also some orange peel. Then polishing time

The saphire blue is definitely better then the smurf blue. The smurf blue might work well on a large bodied car... like the size of a Satelite Sebring or maybe even a Road Runner... but on the mid-size cars the smurf blue doesn't flatter it.

But I like personally like the look of the blue in the first picture where it looked darker better then more lighted pictures ( which is what I think the Saphire looks more accurately like.

I suspect that the flag blue would have given you that darker more mysterious blue color.

One cool thing as usual... is that if you move to the flag blue... you are probably witin just two coats to get there. Gotta love this roller painting just for the opportunity it gives us to jump from one color to another over a weekend or two But the Saphire does look great...

Last edited by Marq; 06/23/07 11:52 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36869
06/24/07 12:07 AM
06/24/07 12:07 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Tiny scratches... odd that they would not have been worked out during the polishing stage.

My thought would be to ask what brand of wax did you use ? ( It might be something as simple as trying a different brand ). For myself, I tried the Turtle Ice originally.. and the standard Turtle Wax... but in the end I fell in love with the McGuiars Pure Carnuba ( with the lovely banana scent ).

The other factor might be something as simple as the type of polishing rag you were using to apply and get the initial buffing up of the wax. I was using one of those 'Bag-O-Rags' that have something like 10 different types of cloth rags in them. I would use the more tee-shirtish type rages for applying the wax ( or a sponge - which isn't always the wisest )... but for the buffing of shining I would use the cloths that were more like pjama flannel or fleece. The key being that I was using my softer cloths for the final shining up of the wax.

At one point I got lazy and I would simply fold the flannel cloth in two, with the softer side face down on the wax - and then I would using my Porter Cable with the sponge on it to spin the flannel rag... to sort of simulate a 'bionic man' buffing the wax ( a couple hundred spins a minute compared to a manual 20 or 30 spins by hand ).

I know that some of those 'woolish' type polishing mitts or cloths can scar up the paint or wax.... and give the kind of markings you see in your pictures. If you have 'woolie' type polishing mitt.... ditch it

I haven't personally used a microfiber cloth to buff and shine - but some of the lads have reported surprisingly good results using them.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #36870
06/24/07 12:59 AM
06/24/07 12:59 AM
WA State
Roadster_wa Offline
Roadster_wa  Offline

WA State
Here is the vette on coat two...

3586797-after_coat2.JPG (533 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Roadster_wa] #36871
06/24/07 01:03 AM
06/24/07 01:03 AM
WA State
Roadster_wa Offline
Roadster_wa  Offline

WA State
Here is what I started with.

3586805-before.JPG (481 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #36872
06/24/07 01:04 AM
06/24/07 01:04 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i REALLY hate to post this but ive been browsing the hundreds of pages of this and i cant find an answer.

i bought an orbital skilz sander/buffer tonight. i hope itll make the job a little easier. plus my girlfriend is wanting me to buffer her car. i also got the foam brushes, tray, rustoleum in a spray can for small primer areas and door jams, tape, etc. all i have left to buy is the brightside, penetrol, mineral spirits(i couldnt find 100% mineral spirits at walmart), and a roller.

my question is, is there a specific brand roller i should be getting. i see everyone saying something about a 4 inch roller. the ones i saw at walmart were 9" smooth surface foam roller. they were sold individually. i didnt think they were what i needed to i didnt buy any. do i need to go to home depot/lowes to get the right ones? if someone could give me a list of companies/product numbers thatd be great.

thanks.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36873
06/24/07 01:14 AM
06/24/07 01:14 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

my question is, is there a specific brand roller i should be getting. i see everyone saying something about a 4 inch roller. the ones i saw at walmart were 9" smooth surface foam roller. they were sold individually. i didnt think they were what i needed to i didnt buy any. do i need to go to home depot/lowes to get the right ones? if someone could give me a list of companies/product numbers thatd be great.

thanks.

those are what im using...

right = home depot
left = lowes- i had to go back to lowes and buy a stupid roller handle because those rollers didnt fit on the one i got from home depot. (just so you know)

Page 28 of 167 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 166 167