06/12/07 02:48 PM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline
I Love the Unicorn Song!!
Gusteve  Offline
I Love the Unicorn Song!!

Flint, MI
Quote:

It's very hot out today, so I plan to paint later on in the day, maybe around 7PM when the sun is down.

Should I thin my mixture down like milk again? Or should I use a less thinned but more paint mixture and use less paint on my roller?

Tip for painting in the evening - when its dark enough that you need to turn on lights you'll attract every insect in the area and every one of them will land on your wet paint.

The Kryptonite of Rustoleum paint? #36695
06/12/07 03:10 PM
06/12/07 03:10 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm still in the process of rolling my car. However, I decided that I will no longer roll Rustoleum paint on my car. I am sticking with Brightside from now on (I also have Rustoleum Pro and Marine Coating paint).

I'm pretty messy when I clean up after painting a layer on my car. I usually end up getting Rustoleum all over my gloves after pulling the foam rollers off the handles. I then end up touching my garage door and getting black paint all over it. So I figured I'd try and find a solvent that would loosen the Rustoleum on contact. It turns out I have found the very product that does this. I had a spray can of Carburator and choke cleaner, which, when sprayed onto Rustoleum paint, cracks the paint and makes it immediately lose adhesion to whatever surface it's on.

I tried spraying the carb & choke cleaner on my brightside topcoat, and it does nothing to the paint. whew, good stuff. It also does nothing to the single stage earl scheib paint that is currently on my car. However, I have both Rustoleum Professional and Marine Coating paint, and the Carb/Choke cleaner immediately cuts through the paint without any problem at all. There's no telling what else will remove Rustoleum paint, but what I do know is that a topcoat of Brightside will protect the underlying Rustoleum paint from damage. I have about 8 layers of Rustoleum on my trunk, and it is topcoated with Brightside. It was sprayed with Carb/choke cleaner, and the Brightside created an impermeable layer between the spray and the Rustoleum. The Brightside also stood up to the spray--it looked exactly the same before/after being sprayed with carb/choke cleaner.

Last edited by worldcrafter; 06/12/07 03:11 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #36696
06/12/07 03:54 PM
06/12/07 03:54 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks much DartGT and Marq =)

I have everything set- car is completely sanded... just waiting for the rain to stop...

My camera died on the first shot- it's charging now...

Well... don't forget our 'enviromental' hints about humidity. It might be worthwhile to wait a day or two extra after the rain - so that the air is not loaded up with humidity.

When I was doing my car.. it started raining when I was preparing to add the final coat of paint. Even though I was painting inside the garage ( protected )... I ended up delaying that final coat for several days after that last rainstorm. And the funny thing is that it rained for almost 7 days... so in total I had to wait almost ten days to get that final coat of paint on.

Now.... I may have been overcautious.. but I did not want anything affecting how that coat of paint turned out. And it certainly was testing my patience to keep delaying the painting.. but I did not want to give in to that impatience and botch up the paint job.

Timing of the painting is essential to obtaining an optimal paint job

Thanks Marq...

Sadly its still raining! =( I hate the rain. Well my plan is to tarp up the garage - water the floor a few times b4 painting... and shoot away.

For those who are looking for a decent deal on brightside.. I just got 2 quarts from here: only 22.99/QT

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/use...ategoryId%7E532

Re: The Kryptonite of Rustoleum paint? #36697
06/12/07 04:00 PM
06/12/07 04:00 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Tip:

No need to pull the rollers off the handles after every coat or use, just get a ziplock baggie large enuff to fit the head and about half the handle, hold the bag, twist the handle a bit while squeezing out most of the air, and hold it closed with a small piece of masking tape etc. I have stored and reused other rollers like this for months.

Re: The Kryptonite of Rustoleum paint? #36698
06/12/07 04:27 PM
06/12/07 04:27 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

the reason why I pull the rollers off is because I store them in a paint can filled 1/4 way with mineral spirits. They are definitely reusable (probably indefinitely) as long as they are not contaminated, e.g. you dropped them on the ground.

Re: The Kryptonite of Rustoleum paint? #36699
06/12/07 05:33 PM
06/12/07 05:33 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Tip:

No need to pull the rollers off the handles after every coat or use, just get a ziplock baggie large enuff to fit the head and about half the handle, hold the bag, twist the handle a bit while squeezing out most of the air, and hold it closed with a small piece of masking tape etc. I have stored and reused other rollers like this for months.

That's pretty much what I do. I just use a regular old grocery bag(with no holes)wrap up the top of the roller and tape it around the handle shaft nice and tight and throw it in the freezer. When I'm gonna paint again I lay it out in the sun(in the bag still) for a little bit while I prep my surface and get my paint tray ready to go. Then I cut the tape and soak the roller in the fresh paint before I use it again.

Re: The Kryptonite of Rustoleum paint? #36700
06/12/07 05:48 PM
06/12/07 05:48 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

brightside standing up to brake cleaner is pretty impressive, that stuff will dissolve just about anything.. i once had the bright idea to try to clean a yellowed up headlight with brake cleaner, and it basically kinda melted the plastic and destroyed it

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36701
06/12/07 06:19 PM
06/12/07 06:19 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

BTW, I was following this topic way back when it started. haven't been reading it in the last month.

Just thought I would mention that I picked up an issue of HotRodder magazine today. On the frontpage it said something along the lines of good $98 paint job. Knew it was the tremclad stuff. I think there's about 4-5 pages on it. It even mentions this thread.

Also, about a year ago I decided to paint the hood off my racing lawnmower with tremclad. Other then the fact that I didn't thin the paint enough its now ROCK solid! I don't think much could damage the paint. It was even getting hard to key.

I will be painting my 74 Nova SS soon. Its currently grey primer(student on a budget). I can't decide on colours. Either Charleston green(dark green) with big black racing stripes or a blue with white racing stripes. The only problem I'm having right now is that I can't find a dark blue that doesn't look purply. Any advice? I'm limitted to the Canadian TremClad. Have limitted access to the Rustoleum stuff.

Here's a picture of my car when I got it several years ago. If anyone could recommend a choice that would be great! The motor's coming out soon and I wouldn't mind painting the car while the motors out. Then I have something to work on while the paints drying.
http://www.renowneddesign.net/nova/DSCF0121.JPG(YES - The hood scoop IS coming off. I have the original which is still burgendy)

Last edited by topdogger; 06/12/07 06:31 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36702
06/12/07 07:05 PM
06/12/07 07:05 PM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline OP
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline OP
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
Some of my old Navy friends are saying Penetrol when added to Brightside really improves the leveling qualities. Here's a link if somebody wants to do a sample peice and report back. On second thought I may try it on the inside of the trucks bed its still in primer.
http://www.flood.com/Flood/CustomerSupport/FAQ/DIY/Penetrol+FAQ.htm

Re: The Kryptonite of Rustoleum paint? #36703
06/12/07 07:10 PM
06/12/07 07:10 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I sprayed my headlight and taillights with the carb cleaner, and my headlights were fine afterwards. The rustoleum paint on my lights, on the other hand, wiped off quickly and easily. So I guess for Rustoleum users, buy some carb cleaner spray for removing overspray (or overroll, whatever it may be) from parts that accidentally get painted. But don't spray the actual paint job!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: 69DartGT] #36704
06/12/07 07:39 PM
06/12/07 07:39 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Some of my old Navy friends are saying Penetrol when added to Brightside really improves the leveling qualities. Here's a link if somebody wants to do a sample peice and report back. On second thought I may try it on the inside of the trucks bed its still in primer.

Yeah, penetrol works great

Re: The Kryptonite of Rustoleum paint? #36705
06/12/07 08:40 PM
06/12/07 08:40 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Tip:

Thats what my dad did tonight. Finished up 2nd coat. Still sunny outside @ 8PM but sun is not on our side and going away. A cool breeze is good enough for painting. It is stored in the garage to try to prevent dust.

2nd coat looks better. I am really starting to like it.

Plus I can see the potential for shine after cutting compound, rubbing compound and wax.

Some of the body panels on my car look better than others. I guess this should be expected because some are metal and plastic. My plastic fenders looks amazing. Very little minor orange peel but shines, even when thinned.

My dad said he wants to try going un-thinned for the last layer.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: 69DartGT] #36706
06/12/07 08:42 PM
06/12/07 08:42 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

http://www.flood.com/Flood/CustomerSupport/FAQ/DIY/Penetrol+FAQ.htm

Darnit, someone should have told me beforehand. I already used mineral spirits already with my Brightside Black.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36707
06/12/07 08:43 PM
06/12/07 08:43 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, penetrol works great

But that is after you used the cutting/rubbing compound right? Did it still look that great (mirror - whoa!) without any final compound?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36708
06/12/07 09:02 PM
06/12/07 09:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hey Aussie Driver,

Would me mixing up Brightside Black work good like this?

400ml of Brightside paint
to
100ml of 100% mineral spirits?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36709
06/12/07 09:22 PM
06/12/07 09:22 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

But that is after you used the cutting/rubbing compound right? Did it still look that great (mirror - whoa!) without any final compound?

Nope. That pic was taken about 6 hours after painting. But it does show the benefit of using some Penetrol in the Brightside.

I added the Penetrol to the Brightside according to the instructions on the Penetrol can, then I added mineral spirits to the mix until I was able to get a flow rate of 25 seconds from a zhan cup. I then did my painting and the pic above is the result.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36710
06/12/07 09:35 PM
06/12/07 09:35 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Nope. That pic was taken about 6 hours after painting. But it does show the benefit of using some Penetrol in the Brightside.

I added the Penetrol to the Brightside according to the instructions on the Penetrol can, then I added mineral spirits to the mix until I was able to get a flow rate of 25 seconds from a zhan cup. I then did my painting and the pic above is the result.

Ok now THIS is some useful information, I already have like 4 gallons of various rustoleum hoarded in preparation, else I'd have to get some penetrol and brightside to duplicate this

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36711
06/12/07 09:54 PM
06/12/07 09:54 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hey aussie , could you type up a recipe for others to use(more laymans terms) with the brightside,penetrol and mineral spirits? many thanks..looks awesome.

Last edited by rusty carr; 06/12/07 09:56 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36712
06/12/07 10:42 PM
06/12/07 10:42 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I added the Penetrol to the Brightside according to the instructions on the Penetrol can, then I added mineral spirits to the mix until I was able to get a flow rate of 25 seconds from a zhan cup.

That is my recipe. I don't remember the exact ratio of Penetrol to the Brightside but the ratio is on the Penetrol can. The zhan cup is the little plastic paint viscosity measuring cup that came with a piece-of-crap electric sprayer that I bought years ago. I found that a reading of 25 seconds for the cup to empty to be pretty close to perfect for my painting style. The good part with the zhan cup method is that the 25 seconds to empty viscosity level seemed to work just fine on warmer days and also on cooler days as the viscosity is temp dependent.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36713
06/13/07 12:00 AM
06/13/07 12:00 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

holy crap! i can't believe it looks like that after painting! you have to be really kidding me...

what coat was that? that's literally messed up.

what ratio was that thinned? i want to mimick your results Aussie driver!

btw: You MUST HAVE had a very smooth hood to begin with...

Hey Aussie Driver,

Would me mixing up Brightside Black work good like this?

400ml of Brightside paint
to
100ml of 100% mineral spirits?

Last edited by My93Civic; 06/13/07 12:12 AM.
Page 20 of 167 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 166 167