06/11/07 06:22 PM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline
I Love the Unicorn Song!!
Gusteve  Offline
I Love the Unicorn Song!!

Flint, MI
Quote:

I only have 2000 grit on me since Im a cheapo. But I do have 320 grit, so I guess I will be alternating a bit then. Sand longer with 320 and sand less with 2000 grit, hopefully that will put me in between.

Dude - 320 might take off the entire coat (or more) that you just did. Spend $5 and buy five sheets of 600 or 800.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Gusteve] #36675
06/11/07 07:13 PM
06/11/07 07:13 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I had good luck with 100 grit. I was putting the coats on so light that if i used 800 I would start to get through to the other layer of paint below after a bit. But, 800 works well also for getting the orange peel out, just be careful with it and dont overdo it

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Gusteve] #36676
06/11/07 08:03 PM
06/11/07 08:03 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

I only have 2000 grit on me since Im a cheapo. But I do have 320 grit, so I guess I will be alternating a bit then. Sand longer with 320 and sand less with 2000 grit, hopefully that will put me in between.

Dude - 320 might take off the entire coat (or more) that you just did. Spend $5 and buy five sheets of 600 or 800.

Will do ASAP! I will go with 800 then.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36677
06/11/07 08:05 PM
06/11/07 08:05 PM
P
plum500 Offline
plum500  Offline
P

I have two new fav words. FOAM BRUSH.

I was pleased with my second attempt at a first coat -- but still not satisfied. Many bubbles solved with a blast of air, but still much peel and tricky to roll.. and again, bubbles and such were being a pain.

I spent 1.29 on a 4" foam brush.

I wet sanded the first coat down, thinned another batch, probably around 40%, maybe 45%, and hit it with the foam brush.

Like glass. No bubbles, and it is incredibly easy to lay a *very* even and *really* thin coat. Very easy to blend. I coated in pretty much 4 quadrants of the deck lid and as I finished each one, blended with some nice long sweeps of the brush...well... here's what I got...

And no brush marks. Those lines you see running front to back are the reflection of the ceiling boards.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36678
06/11/07 08:14 PM
06/11/07 08:14 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

A note on compressors:

This maybe stating the obvious, but make sure there is no moisture in the lines, you can imagine the havoc that would cause on fresh paint

I remember reading an article where the guy was warning to watch out for some compressors that actually blow oil out of them. I guess this is the oil that lubricates the piston walls of the compressor ?

I can't speak to much to that as I have never pulled a compressor apart... but I can imagine the havoc that a compressor spitting atomized oil particles could do to a paint job...

For an experiment... run your compressor full out and blast the 'air' at some white bristol board or something that would show water or oil getting spit out of the nozzle.

Water is a possibility... simply depending on the humidity in the environment when the air is being compressed in the piston.

If you have never tried this... put your hand over your mouth and blow as hard as you can - puffing up your cheeks like a chipmunk as you build pressure inside your mouth. Then take your hand off your mouth and gently blow the air in your mouth out. You should see what resembles cigarette smoke... a white wispy plum of condensed air.

Same thing applies with compressors that are used in a humid work environment and that don't have measures built into them to avoid the compression of moisture laiden air.

Nuff said... time to take my 'Mr. Science Class'
hat off...

Last edited by Marq; 06/11/07 08:26 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36679
06/11/07 08:18 PM
06/11/07 08:18 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Marq:

Should I use the interlux 333 brush liquid to thin down the brightside prior to spraying? or would mineral spirits be just fine?

thanks!

Both worked equally on my car. The mineral spirit might give you a little extra working time before the paint starts setting. The 333 evaporates slightly quicker giving you a little less time to work out any runs or bubbles.

Either way.. the end result is about the same once they dry.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: plum500] #36680
06/11/07 08:24 PM
06/11/07 08:24 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What kind of foam brush are you using BTW? Simple generic kinds?

I am using this foam roller...I saw someone else use it so I think it should be okay?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36681
06/11/07 08:33 PM
06/11/07 08:33 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

I am using this foam roller...I saw someone else use it so I think it should be okay?

At various points during my painting I also made use of a simple foam brush for doing the bubble popping sweep.

At Home Depot and Walmart they sell these grab bags of cheap foam 'paint brushes' They look like a dowl stuffed into a piece of black foam, that is shaped like a paint brush. They had 3/4 inch, 2 inch, 3 inch and 4 inch foam brushes all packed in these assortment bags.

I used the 3 inch and 4 inch to do the bubble popping... because they did a better, less lines or streaks, then a bristol brush.

BUT I stuck with my high density foam roller to lay the initial coats - and then followed it up almost immediately with the foam 'paint brush' to do the bubble popping and quick surface leveling. You just have to let the foam 'paint brush' float over the bubble populated areas to pop em...

BUT... the cheap foam brushes have one weakness... they start to disintergate after prolonged exposure to mineral spirit or 333 brushing fluid. As well... the paint accumulates on them and begins curing. So you should figure on using at least four of the foam 'paint brushes' during one coat on the car..

a ) one for the left side
b ) one for the right side
c ) one for the trunk and roof
d ) one for the hood

Later I also did the two high density foam roller trick when I ran out of the cheap foam 'paint brushes'...

The high density foams stand up to the mineral spirit / thinner better and do not start disintegrating after prolonged use.

One handy thing about those cheap foam 'brushes' is that I was able to poke and prod them into some spots where the roller could not go. I would hit those crevices first with the appropriately size foam brush.. and then smooth out the edges with the roller. I hope that makes sense... use the foamies to paint any hard to reach spots on a panel... then proceed with your rollering of the rest of that surface second - in order to blend in the paint between the edges of the crevices and the rest of the panel.

Last edited by Marq; 06/11/07 08:42 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #36682
06/11/07 08:42 PM
06/11/07 08:42 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

At various points during my painting I also made use of a simple foam brush for doing the bubble popping sweep.

At Home Depot and Walmart they sell these grab bags of cheap foam 'paint brushes' They look like a dowl stuffed into a piece of black foam, that is shaped like a paint brush. They had 3/4 inch, 2 inch, 3 inch and 4 inch foam brushes all packed in these assortment bags.

I used the 3 inch and 4 inch to do the bubble popping... because they did a better, less lines or streaks, then a bristol brush.

BUT I stuck with my high density foam roller to lay the initial coats - and then followed it up almost immediately with the foam 'paint brush' to do the bubble popping and quick surface leveling.

Later I also did the two high density foam roller trick when I ran out of the cheap foam 'paint brushes'...

One handy thing about those cheap foam 'brushes' is that I was able to poke and prod them into some spots where the roller could not go. I would hit those crevices first with the appropriately size foam brush.. and then smooth out the edges with the roller. I hope that makes sense... use the foamies to paint any hard to reach spots on a panel... then proceed with your rollering of the rest of that surface second - in order to blend in the paint between the edges of the crevices and the rest of the panel.

But I think plum5000 actually stated that he used those foam brushes to paint his hood?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36683
06/11/07 09:11 PM
06/11/07 09:11 PM
P
plum500 Offline
plum500  Offline
P

Yup! Whole deck lid done with a brush. The biggest differences I found were: with pressure, the brush didn't produce the bubbles, and 2nd, the brush didn't require any pressure vs the roller to get an evenly spread coat.

Could be I just don't have the roller technique down, but I am definitely sticking with the brush.

This is the one I used:

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36684
06/11/07 09:19 PM
06/11/07 09:19 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

those are the EXACT ones i used!!!

my stuff:

foam brush i used, 25 package for $3.99 on sale:

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #36685
06/11/07 09:24 PM
06/11/07 09:24 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Here's my bug, back from 2000 when i painted it, i had no bubbles, you just have to practice and "learn" the paint, be at one with the paint, be the paint...... little of this few of these by the way, these pics are BEFORE wetsanding and polish, about 1 day after the last coat.

My car in 2001:

my car in 2006 (and about 40000mi!!!!):

my car before:

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: plum500] #36686
06/11/07 11:07 PM
06/11/07 11:07 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Yup! Whole deck lid done with a brush. The biggest differences I found were: with pressure, the brush didn't produce the bubbles, and 2nd, the brush didn't require any pressure vs the roller to get an evenly spread coat.

Could be I just don't have the roller technique down, but I am definitely sticking with the brush.

This is the one I used:

Well... heed my advice about watching out for those foam brushes to start disintegrating after prolonged contact with paint reduced with mineral spirits or 333 thinner.

Underneath the foam is a small sheet of plastic, which is attached to the wooden shaft. The foam is enveloped over the plastic sheet. The plastic sheet gives a 'bit' of rigidity to the foam brush.

The mineral spirit will first separate the glue that holds the foam to that piece of plastic. That is the first hint that the foam brush is nearing the end of its life.

The next sign will be when you start noticing strange unexplainable black 'stuff' in your paint. That will be when the foam itself is starting to disintegrate.

Switch to a new brush at that point

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36687
06/12/07 12:33 AM
06/12/07 12:33 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks much DartGT and Marq =)

I have everything set- car is completely sanded... just waiting for the rain to stop...

My camera died on the first shot- it's charging now...

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36688
06/12/07 06:44 AM
06/12/07 06:44 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Thanks much DartGT and Marq =)

I have everything set- car is completely sanded... just waiting for the rain to stop...

My camera died on the first shot- it's charging now...

Well... don't forget our 'enviromental' hints about humidity. It might be worthwhile to wait a day or two extra after the rain - so that the air is not loaded up with humidity.

When I was doing my car.. it started raining when I was preparing to add the final coat of paint. Even though I was painting inside the garage ( protected )... I ended up delaying that final coat for several days after that last rainstorm. And the funny thing is that it rained for almost 7 days... so in total I had to wait almost ten days to get that final coat of paint on.

Now.... I may have been overcautious.. but I did not want anything affecting how that coat of paint turned out. And it certainly was testing my patience to keep delaying the painting.. but I did not want to give in to that impatience and botch up the paint job.

Timing of the painting is essential to obtaining an optimal paint job

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #36689
06/12/07 08:52 AM
06/12/07 08:52 AM
Maine
B
Blackstone Offline
Blackstone  Offline
B

Maine
Greetings from Maine. I was linked here from the 67-72 Chevy Trucks board 2-3 weeks ago. I'm amazed by what you've all accomplished and thought I'd say Hello and offer my praise for your incredible work.

I plan to use one of the Top Secret products, pending the results of MontanaMan's experiments. They seem to have the only color selection that can closely match my Mustard Yellow '73 Cheyenne.
Has anyone else tested Top Secret's TS-4 product yet or heard any feedback?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Blackstone] #36690
06/12/07 09:46 AM
06/12/07 09:46 AM
P
plum500 Offline
plum500  Offline
P

If you're looking to match a color, and have a sample -- I also suggest Sico they make a product called Corrostop which is tintable to anything in their regular color chart, and I suspect that they also have the color matching capabilities as others. Basically the same as Rustoleum - if not an improved formula. Direct to metal, rust inhibiting, alkyd.

For the body of my car, I'm using Sherwin Williams DTM. Again, industrial/marine, direct to metal, rust inhibiting alkyd -- tintable to anything in their chart -- or custom/color match.

This way, you can be fairly secure in the ability to get more if you need it. Obviously care should be taken as to where you start/stop/repair or whatever -- but I'm gonna trust their computer controlled mixing a lot more than trying to duplicate a limited home-made mix. I would certainly trust it enough to attempt a blended repair, patch, or a single panel in need of a refresh.

Just my 2 cents for those looking to expand beyond the Tremclad/Rustoleum color chart.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: plum500] #36691
06/12/07 09:58 AM
06/12/07 09:58 AM
Maine
B
Blackstone Offline
Blackstone  Offline
B

Maine
Great... another option. Top Secret has 3-4 stock colors that are close to mine. Depending on how it performs for other rollerheads, Sherwin-Williams may be a good second choice for me.

Thanks for the info.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36692
06/12/07 01:22 PM
06/12/07 01:22 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I hate sanding. Went out and bought 800 grit sandpaper. I sanded down most of my air bubbles away, admittedly very quickly because I'm sick and tired of sanding.

Hopefully I can get these next 2 coats on nicely without any orange peel so I don't have to sand every coat.

It's very hot out today, so I plan to paint later on in the day, maybe around 7PM when the sun is down.

Should I thin my mixture down like milk again? Or should I use a less thinned but more paint mixture and use less paint on my roller?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36693
06/12/07 01:44 PM
06/12/07 01:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I agree sanding is the worst part of this job. My friend and I spent about 18 hours sanding down my convertible this week with 400 grit. The previous paint color had so much peel. It took forever to wet sand through it all. It's all done and nice and smooth now so this new color should go on easy.

I'm hoping to have minimal sanding when finished. The hardest part is removing scratching if you use too low of a grit.

Trick is to do it right the first time. Which I did not in my rush to finish it last summer.

Page 19 of 167 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 166 167