06/07/07 06:57 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Toolbox, It's a 1965 3-spd and thanks. I like it a lot. It does have locking hubs/full floating conversion in back and let me tell you it was a bear getting the right axle seals and inner bearing/hub seals. I can't say enough good things about the local NAPA parts store and one guy in particular who welcomed the challenge.

Awesome setup if you ever plan to flat tow it. You should check out www.earlycj5.com...lot of good people there that really know their stuff. And it is really nice when you can get people who actually help at the parts store...around here if they can't find it in the computer you're pretty much out of luck. I've got a '55 CJ5 that's completely torn down right now. The tub is OK for it's age, but will need a lot of welding done. I'm seriously thinking about rolling or brushing it if I can find the color I want. I'm doing a stock restoration, and I want to find something as close as possible to it's original Julep Green.
Here's what it looked like when I dragged it home:

Long way to go!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36635
06/07/07 07:30 PM
06/07/07 07:30 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You will probably need to mix up a custom batch if possible. I wanted to match the orig. white on my Jeep but Rusto's gloss white was too white. The orig. color seemed to have a touch of green in it compared to gloss white. And the canvas white I put on is much creamier. I should have tried mixing the two but I was so happy to have a way to go on the paint without spending a few thou. that it was full speed ahead when I was half way through reading the full roller paint thread.

Let me know if you need any photos of how the engine compartment should look during your resto. I still have to paint the inner fender wells and firewall. Am going to use Krylon ivory white spray cans as it was mentioned earlier that it is virtually the same color as Rusto's canvas white. Good luck!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36636
06/07/07 09:58 PM
06/07/07 09:58 PM
North Florida
R
RebelDart Offline
super street
RebelDart  Offline
super street
R

North Florida
My Dart's prepped and ready to be sprayed - now I'm thinking roller it so i can buy those forged pistons and Edelbrock heads ! Only concern is I have to spray engine bay, trunk, and jambs etc.. probably been asked, but can I thin and spray Tremclad/Brightside and roller the rest?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: RebelDart] #36637
06/07/07 11:17 PM
06/07/07 11:17 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm no expert on spraying but I've read earlier in the thread that others have sprayed it. Go for it!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #36638
06/08/07 02:49 AM
06/08/07 02:49 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Im wondering if I should just shell out the extra $ and get brightside and the additive... How much better than rusto is brightside?

I know it last longer, and that is my selling point.. but i have seen and heard results of those who had rusto hard as a rock and never chipping away. The problem was keeping the shine - time consuming but very possible. This wont have much to do with my satin look but i guess I wont have to go crazy cleaning the paint as much?

Hope everything works so i can get started. I sanded 80% of the car so far.
Quote:

For the Brightside paint... they sell an 'additive' that you add to your standard can of Brightside paint. It turns a glossy Brightside paint into a 'flat satin' finish. This additive was developed because certain parts of the boats deck surface can't have a high gloss or people would be slipping overboard ahhahhah.

They also sell another 'additive' that gives the surface a more granular surface - better for your footing when you are walking around on the deck. I can't see much use for it on our cars... but maybe pickup truck guys might like something like that added to their paint for when they are painting running boards or the bed of pickup

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36639
06/08/07 08:50 AM
06/08/07 08:50 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

There's still a few of them around, guy here in town has one that he races, V8, nitrous the works, trying to talk him into rolling his.

Was he on Pinks? I saw a LUV that really moved out on the Pinks All Out in Dallas.

Doubt it was this particular guy, could have been QIKLUV(also a member) he's from the Clute.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: RebelDart] #36640
06/08/07 11:07 AM
06/08/07 11:07 AM
P
plum500 Offline
plum500  Offline
P

Quote:

My Dart's prepped and ready to be sprayed - now I'm thinking roller it so i can buy those forged pistons and Edelbrock heads ! Only concern is I have to spray engine bay, trunk, and jambs etc.. probably been asked, but can I thin and spray Tremclad/Brightside and roller the rest?

I'm going to spray all that stuff regardless of whether I spray the whole car or not.

Going to then hit the engine bay with a DupliColor clear high heat/engine enamel for protection from oil/gas - not to mention the gloss.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36641
06/08/07 04:11 PM
06/08/07 04:11 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I just bought everything today in Canada.

Interlux Brightside just kills the budget term.

My total rings in @ 120 with 2 quarts of Brightside plus all the supplies like tape, sandpaper, rollers, etc.

2 Quarts of Brightside by itself was $91 total. Thats messed up, but hopefully it will be worth it.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36642
06/08/07 08:14 PM
06/08/07 08:14 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It will be worth it even at 120 for everything. Just did my truck in brightside black looks great. Bought mine from wholesalemarine.com for around 24 a quart. But of course im in the states.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36643
06/08/07 09:07 PM
06/08/07 09:07 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

It will be worth it even at 120 for everything. Just did my truck in brightside black looks great. Bought mine from wholesalemarine.com for around 24 a quart. But of course im in the states.

I believe you! I've only seen good things about Interlux Brightside! Hopefully 2 quarts can be enough.

Original color is black going to repainted black on a relatively small car, 1993 Civic Hatchback.

I will post pics later on.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36644
06/08/07 10:10 PM
06/08/07 10:10 PM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline OP
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline OP
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
Good news is two quarts will probably be enough, just take your time and do it right the first time.
Good luck

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36645
06/08/07 11:13 PM
06/08/07 11:13 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

My total rings in @ 120 with 2 quarts of Brightside plus all the supplies like tape, sandpaper, rollers, etc.

2 Quarts of Brightside by itself was $91 total. Thats messed up, but hopefully it will be worth it.

Ouch... they gouged yah... I paid $ 33 CDN per quart in Ottawa... Whoever gouged you for $ 45 a quart does not deserve any future business from you. In fact, for $45 bucks a quart the place here in Ottawa would have shipped it to your doorstep using Canada Post...

Here is the URL for "The Chandlery' marine supplier in Ottawa. They are suppose to have the largest selection of any marine shop in Canada ( which is hilarious when you normally would think that there would be some shop on the East or West Coast that could hold that title.

http://www.thechandleryonline.com

and here is the direct link to the Brightside polyurathane page...

http://www.thechandleryonline.com//product.asp?dept%5Fid=2706&pf%5Fid=BRIGHTSIDE

At the moment they are listing it at

CDN Price: $34.55
US Price: $31.99

And if you catch them at certain times the price is even lower... ( sales - or during the non-boating season ).

But no matter what the price.... just think of it this way.... the Rustoleum/Tremclad paint job is equivalent to the paint used by MAACO for their cheapest paint job. The Brightside paint is a polyurathane and that is what MAACO uses for their most expensive paint jobs that they offer.

So you are paying a little extra for your paint but that pro paint shop would have charged an appreciably higher price for that paint job compared to their budget enamel paint job.

Last edited by Marq; 06/08/07 11:23 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #36646
06/09/07 12:07 PM
06/09/07 12:07 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Ouch... they gouged yah... I paid $ 33 CDN per quart in Ottawa... Whoever gouged you for $ 45 a quart does not deserve any future business from you. In fact, for $45 bucks a quart the place here in Ottawa would have shipped it to your doorstep using Canada Post...

Here is the URL for "The Chandlery' marine supplier in Ottawa. They are suppose to have the largest selection of any marine shop in Canada ( which is hilarious when you normally would think that there would be some shop on the East or West Coast that could hold that title.

http://www.thechandleryonline.com

and here is the direct link to the Brightside polyurathane page...

http://www.thechandleryonline.com//product.asp?dept%5Fid=2706&pf%5Fid=BRIGHTSIDE

At the moment they are listing it at

CDN Price: $34.55
US Price: $31.99

And if you catch them at certain times the price is even lower... ( sales - or during the non-boating season ).

But no matter what the price.... just think of it this way.... the Rustoleum/Tremclad paint job is equivalent to the paint used by MAACO for their cheapest paint job. The Brightside paint is a polyurathane and that is what MAACO uses for their most expensive paint jobs that they offer.

So you are paying a little extra for your paint but that pro paint shop would have charged an appreciably higher price for that paint job compared to their budget enamel paint job.

I guess many of the stores over here don't deserve business...I called like 6 places and the price ranged from 39.95-$43/quart!! And these are all far away from where I live. I live like 1 hour away from Central Toronto, but these stores are @ Downtown Toronto...

I bought it from Fogh Marine...Even tried to bargain them..cash deal $40 each can. Please!! They wouldn't do it. Damnit.

Argh...

BTW: I think I'm gonna paint today or tomorrow...Can you give me any pointers to decrease dust?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36647
06/09/07 12:21 PM
06/09/07 12:21 PM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline OP
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline OP
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
Quote:

BTW: I think I'm gonna paint today or tomorrow...Can you give me any pointers to decrease dust?

I did mine in the driveway I wet it down each morning. Better of course if you can do it inside.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: 69DartGT] #36648
06/09/07 02:14 PM
06/09/07 02:14 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

has anyone tried rattle can clear? and wetanded and polished it?? usually rattle can clear doesnt seem to be very glossy straight from the can, i was wondering how it would work out if we did a few coats and then polished it up just like the paint

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36649
06/09/07 05:11 PM
06/09/07 05:11 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just washed my car down with soap and water.

I finished it off with Mineral Spirits on a new Micro-fiber towel. Wow! Mineral Spirit took off everything soap and water couldn't. I was amazed, my towel was really black.

Good thing you guys advised me to purchase it and not be half-way.

I think I will paint Monday realistically because tomorrow is gonna be a long day.

BTW: How do I clean my dirty rag?

And is mineral spirits okay to come in contact with your skin?

Last edited by 69DartGT; 06/09/07 07:46 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36650
06/09/07 06:22 PM
06/09/07 06:22 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i did and it leaves a glitter effect in the clear but it dries hard as a rock and not good for flexible pieces as it will crack and flake off i didnt likr that clear co i got the gallon of the clear from the internet a few pages ago.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36651
06/09/07 06:24 PM
06/09/07 06:24 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

put a chain over a control arm to the concreate

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36652
06/09/07 07:16 PM
06/09/07 07:16 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm glad you asked about mineral spirits. In this whole thread I never heard a caution about it but on the back of my can it says it's pretty bad stuff. Starting with, and I quote, "Danger! Vapor Harmful. May affect the brain or nervous systemcausing dizziness, headache, or nausea. Causes eye, skin, nose and throat irritation. Warning: Use of this product will expose you to benzene which is known to cause cancer and to toluol which is known to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm." It is also highly flammable. If you spray it use an approved respirator, etc. So, don't wash your hands with it, don't breath the vapor. Wear nitrile gloves and make sure you have lots of cross ventilation while using it in any manner.

Be careful out there!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36653
06/09/07 11:09 PM
06/09/07 11:09 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

lol nice catch

ya bezene is bad stuff