Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Rustoleum Black Rambler

Love that retro look. The second I saw that black with the white roof... I immediately imagined Barney Fife from Mayberry RFD driving it around

Just a little more white paint... an airbrushed star on the side and gumball machine on the roof and 'instant local celebrity mobile'... hehhehhe

This is hilarious, got a good laugh out of this.

I started thinking Blues Brothers when I put paint on (I traded a microphone for it, cop shocks, cop brakes). Hard time commiting to a color, red wagons seem overdone, especially Ramblers.

Yet another pro with this stuff, I can use black and white as a base and just keep going with another color, not that big a deal. Might look less Mayberry with the trim back on.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #36595
06/06/07 08:07 AM
06/06/07 08:07 AM
P
plum500 Offline
plum500  Offline
P

Thanks for the encouragement Marq.

One variable that might have been a contributing factor was that I didn't use mineral spirits to wipe down the trunk -- I used a professional grade cleaner (silicone, wax, grease etc) from Sherwin Williams, but as with anything else - mixing solvent based stuff, paints, etc, -- that might have been it... dunno...

Frustrating thing is, I know this stuff will come out just like glass even before any wet sanding, from the way it dried on the back edge. Light sanding with some 1500/2000 and a buffer and it would have been mint...

Satin black:
Anyone looking for a good satin black in a rattle can -- check out DupliColor "low gloss" engine enamel/high heat black. Stuff is awesome. I'm using on a lot of brackets etc. -- blends really easily, dries fast, and *really* even.

If all goes well on the deck lid -- I've got a can of Sherwin Williams DTM paint that I'm going to try on the rest of the car. It's one of their industrial/marine coatings, but you can have it tinted to anything in their colour chart. I've got "Fully Purple" waiting to go on if all goes well.

Sherwin Williams also make a water based clear which I'm gonna try (inside trunk, floors, stuff like that) -- again, from the industrial/marine stuff -- and again, if all goes well http://www.globalspec.com/FeaturedProduc...r_Coat_/17777/0

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36596
06/06/07 09:51 AM
06/06/07 09:51 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

ok folks I have been following this post for a LONGGGGG time & have reread it over & over & maybe I missed something so I'll just ask..

How many of you folks that have painted thier cars/trucks this way???? I know it a lot but let me know anyway..
Do you use them for daily drivers????
Do you leave them outside????
&&&&& how long have they been painted??????
Just asking the questions that anyone would want to know before jumping on a project like this, PLUS w/the info I might be able to shut the nay-sayers up a little..

I'm asking because this post is on several other forums I belong to & most of the replies about it has been positive(yet surprized) because it's a inexpensive way to get what seems a decent paint job. Even if it is put on w/a roller. But I will admit there are some of those(the forum is easy to find)that thinks its plain BS & say why would anyone waste thier time to paint a car/truck w/rustoleum (type)paint. Along w/saying that a car/truck should ONLY be painted w/automotive paints. Which is an oxymoron to me because correct me if I'm wrong BUT isn't(or was) Enamel used in the automotive field to paint cars/trucks????

&&&&&&&&&&& I'll be honest w/you folks I thought it was total BS myself untill I read about other folks on other forums using this method w/success & I'm thinking about using it on my own project mainly because I'm a cheap SOB and have more time then $$$$$$ to do it. Thanks for any info you can give & thanks for inspiring me to continue to be the cheap SOB that I am.........joe

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36597
06/06/07 10:06 AM
06/06/07 10:06 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i hate to have to ask this question. i have browsed through many pages of these very long threads. i just need to know about how many quarts of brightside im going to need to do my car with. im going to a boatshop friday and i might buy paint then. if i do i dont want to buy too much due to the price, butid rather have too much than too little.

follow this link for an idea of the size of my car. its an 85 rx7. theyre rather small.

http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=596488

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36598
06/06/07 10:14 AM
06/06/07 10:14 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Just asking the questions that anyone would want to know before jumping on a project like this, PLUS w/the info I might be able to shut the nay-sayers up a little..

The debate about whether it is viable or BS ended with the July 2007 issue of HOT ROD magazine - that put the paint and roller to the test on a project Falcon. It passed their test and there are about seven or eight pages of THEM doing the process with results that surprised even them.

The debate ended there. Anyone who wishes to BS the process is either :

a ) works at a paint shop ( obvious vested interest and a hidden agenda behind their comments ) or...

b ) someone who has tons more money than most of us and who thinks nothing of tossing $2000 to $5000 at a paint shop to do the work for them.

Marq

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36599
06/06/07 10:21 AM
06/06/07 10:21 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

i hate to have to ask this question. i have browsed through many pages of these very long threads. i just need to know about how many quarts of brightside im going to need to do my car with. im going to a boatshop friday and i might buy paint then. if i do i dont want to buy too much due to the price, butid rather have too much than too little.

follow this link for an idea of the size of my car. its an 85 rx7. theyre rather small.

Using Brightside.... I would suspect that it would take a maximum of 3 cans of paint and one can of product 333 Interlux thinner.

Part of the answer about 'how many cans' will depend on where you are starting from...

a ) a car where everything is in primer... 3 cans

b ) a car where the body paint is good and just needs to be scuffed and then painted .... 2 cans

c ) a change in paint color from one color to the opposite end of the spectrum ( like white to black - or dark blue to yellow etc. ) ... 3 cans

If you apply it at the rate of about 1/2 can per coating... you may find that you can nail it in two coats ( 1 can ).

But the odds are that you will probably get to a third and fourth coat to get full coverage with good depth to the color. So that would take you to the second can.

The third can is handy to have 'just in case'.

Check on the return policy of the joint where you are buying your paint. Most of those marine paint joints are more than willing to take back an unused can IF it isn't opened and your paint covered fingerprints aren't all over the can

Last edited by Marq; 06/06/07 10:24 AM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #36600
06/06/07 10:27 AM
06/06/07 10:27 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

thanks marq. youve helped me once again. i like the way the ocean blue is looking, but that deal on ebay for the flag blue is stuck in the back of my mind. the color im going on top of will be very similar to the ocean blue. its a mazda tender blue. i definately want some extra paint, just to have. ill see how it goes at the boat shop friday. thanks.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #36601
06/06/07 12:01 PM
06/06/07 12:01 PM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline
I Love the Unicorn Song!!
Gusteve  Offline

Flint, MI
Quote:

Quote:

The debate about whether it is viable or BS ended with the July 2007 issue of HOT ROD magazine - that put the paint and roller to the test on a project Falcon. It passed their test and there are about seven or eight pages of THEM doing the process with results that surprised even them.

a ) works at a paint shop ( obvious vested interest and a hidden agenda behind their comments ) or...

b ) someone who has tons more money than most of us and who thinks nothing of tossing $2000 to $5000 at a paint shop to do the work for them.

Marq

I think the debate will now morph into: it'll fade in six months, it won't hold up to the weather, it'll start peeling off in a year when you go to the carwash, etc.

The Hot Rod article proved the process is legit, but the naysayers are going to find some other reason to still think its BS. (For the reasons you mentioned above).

We all know that the longevity of the paint is not really an issue (and hey, if I have to do it over again 3 years from now for another $50, so what.)

I think it will take another two or three years before this really becomes an acceptable concept. With the HotRod article, I bet there will be a LOT more people doing this over the next year.

As the word spreads among non-internet people, and more and more rolled cars start showing up at car shows, it will eventually gain acceptance. Particularly when we get to the point in time where its common for people to say "yeah, I rolled it, two years ago. Still looks great, eh?"

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36602
06/06/07 12:49 PM
06/06/07 12:49 PM
Lubbock, TX
slantvaliant Offline
enthusiast
slantvaliant  Offline
enthusiast

Lubbock, TX
I rolled white Rustoleum Industrial on my Valiant in early '06. The car has not spent a night (or day, for that matter) in the garage since. It has been through a Texas summer, several West Texas sandstorms, snow, rain, high-speed bug impacts, some neglect, the Walmart parking lot, and a lot of driving.
It still shines, at least when I knock the dust off. It has a little parking-lot rash, but no worse than any other car that regularly goes to work or the store. No peeling, no fading that I can tell.
I'm happy with it.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #36603
06/06/07 02:33 PM
06/06/07 02:33 PM
Portland, OR
B
batjac Offline
batjac  Offline
B

Portland, OR
Quote:

Marq

The funny thing is, that I started reading the original thread at about 20 pages because someone over on the Second Generation Owners Group forums put up a link to it making fun of/deriding the process. A couple of days ago i was reading the same forums, and someone referenced the article from the magazine. And, sure enough, the board members started talkin about how this method makes for crap cars. So, I posted a link to pics of Aussie's Miata. One called the photos BS, and others kept saying that you would only do this if you really didn't care about how your car looked....

Closed minds and snobs. The debate will never be over.

Last edited by batjac; 06/06/07 02:33 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: batjac] #36604
06/06/07 03:14 PM
06/06/07 03:14 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

IMHO, there is no debate, just different opinions. And we all know what they say about opinions. This is strictly Do-It-Yourself stuff. If you can do all the mechanical work yourself them you for sure ought to be able to paint it yourself too. Look at the places we are getting our supplies: Home Depot and Lowe's two mega huge businesses built on the DIY principal. I bet before those two businesses were started people laughed at there neighbors for doing projects that were normally left to "professionals". Now the "Pros" shop there too.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: batjac] #36605
06/06/07 04:16 PM
06/06/07 04:16 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

... So, I posted a link to pics of Aussie's Miata. One called the photos BS, and others kept saying that you would only do this if you really didn't care about how your car looked....

In the car world there are DRIVERS and there are trailer queen owners...

Drivers put their first priority into the mechanics of their cars so that they can DRIVE THEM and enjoy them. I drive my cars. I drive them a lot. I love driving. And nothing killed me worst than having my McLaren grounded in the garage for over 3 years because I could not afford to get a decent and economical paint job on to it.

The trailer queens are the guys who want to go to the car shows or local Friday Night park and shines to show off 'how glamorous' their car looks compared to the next guy. These guys are naturarlly going to take every opportunity to poop on any paint job that cost less then $20,000. Heck they will even find flaws in professional paint jobs that might happen to look better then the one on their own ride.

So the average MAACO paint job is never even going to receive a smiling nod from those type of folks. They are looking for faults in other folks rides in some bent attempt to justify the bucks they spent or to self bloat their own ego about their ride.

And frankly I care about all my cars. My McLaren Mustang is only one of about 1400 that are still on the road an in use. The only two-seater Mustang ever authorised by Ford. That tends to make it a bit unique as a car.... and a survivor.

So I would disagree strongly with anyone that might argue that you only roll paint on cars you don't care about.

But I think we all would agree that if we had a magic bag of cash fall into our lap... we would love to slough the work off on a professional paint shop. But sadly no magic bag of bucks fell into my lap while my McLaren sat in the garage in its primer coat.

The roller paint process allowed me to get the car on to the streets and to enjoy driving it while I wait for that magic bag of cash to come dropping in my lap.

And if by some miracle a magic bag of cash does appear... well it is no big deal to scuff coat my one stage polyurathane paint job to have a one stage polyurathane sprayed on at a professional shop...

The process does not ruin a car and render it untouchable by a paint shop in the future...

Let's steal a line from William Shakespeare to best sum it up " To thine own self be true "

Which means : Don't live to impress others - do what is ultimately best for you.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Gusteve] #36606
06/06/07 04:25 PM
06/06/07 04:25 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I think the debate will now morph into: it'll fade in six months, it won't hold up to the weather, it'll start peeling off in a year when you go to the carwash, etc.

We all know that the longevity of the paint is not really an issue (and hey, if I have to do it over again 3 years from now for another $50, so what.)

The thing people don't understand is that the basic chemistry of Rustoleum or any of the tractor paints is exactly the same as Synthetic car paint you can buy at any auto body shop. They're all Alkyd enamels. Dupont invented this stuff in the 1920s, and it was factory paint on a lot cars in the 1950s ad 1960s. It really doesn't matter how it's applied, it all works the same. You could dump it straight out of the can and smear it around with your hands if you wanted to. You'd just spend the next 4 months wet sanding the lines out .

It will hold up just as well as any car painted with synthetic car paint. Keep it out of the sun and it'll last forever. If you maintain it (keep it waxed!) you can leave it outside without any problems. Don't wax it, and it'll eventually fade. But who cares? Just use some fine cleaner and buff out the oxidation...wax it, and guess what? It'll look just like new again

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36607
06/06/07 04:48 PM
06/06/07 04:48 PM
Ontario, Canada
78D150CLUB Offline
My avatar is a self portrait!!
78D150CLUB  Offline
My avatar is a self portrait!!

Ontario, Canada
Alkyd enamel was THE high tech factory paint from the 1930's till the 1960's, as far as I can find.
I finished my truck last summer, almost a year and it still polishes up after a wash free Canuck winter, daily use, scrap metal runs and several other indignities. I'm pleased and impressed with the results and anyone who doesn't like it, doesn't need to paint with it. No one is holding a gun to their head.
I like the money it let me put into mechanical work and the fact that it no longer looks like a chameleon exploded trying to hide in a box of crayons.
I'm about to start the second round using the same method, having bought a new box, hood, fenders and doors. Hmmmmmmm...... sounds like I should just jack up the emblems and drive another truck under them, almost a full rebuild
As for cheap, we should all get together and start a company making copper wire by stretching pennies

3549945-mfest2b.jpg (324 downloads)
Last edited by 78D150CLUB; 06/06/07 04:50 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: 78D150CLUB] #36608
06/06/07 05:59 PM
06/06/07 05:59 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i thought rustoleum wasnt sold in canada?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36609
06/06/07 06:17 PM
06/06/07 06:17 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

i thought rustoleum wasnt sold in canada?

No, Tremclad isn't sold in the U.S. Rustoleum is sold in both countries.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36610
06/06/07 07:04 PM
06/06/07 07:04 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

to aws140:

i did my integra with about 3 quarts of brightside

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36611
06/06/07 07:28 PM
06/06/07 07:28 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No, Tremclad isn't sold in the U.S. Rustoleum is sold in both countries.

lolz that explains it

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36612
06/06/07 07:54 PM
06/06/07 07:54 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

one more thing, how does a guy get off the emblems? i have a few chev signs and the words cavalier

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36613
06/06/07 09:37 PM
06/06/07 09:37 PM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline
Gusteve  Offline

Flint, MI
40 grit wheel on a power sander?

Or, if there are no nuts holding them on, then they are just stuck on with adhesive. Heat it up with a heat gun (or hair-dryer) and you can pry them off.

Page 15 of 167 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 166 167