06/01/07 09:36 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

My paint has been on going on a year. It's not faded or damaged in anyway. It's awesome. It's brightside. It sat in direct sun in 90-100 degree pa summer last year, sustained rain, sustained cold freezing, ice (and me scraping ice!), hail, and last but not least BIRD CRAP!

Paint looks as good as new. No fading. I'm repainting it next week because I hate the color but durability is AWESOME!

FYI it's been at the beach a bit it's a convertible.

Thats good to know! I am going with Brightside Black. If the paint can last for a few years with no rust coming back (I patched up with Bondo --ya temp solution) and no fading, I'd be really happy.

Once and if the rust appears, I'd simply sand down the area, use some POR-15 (should have done that already) and call it a day.

I can't wait to paint, but prep is not done yet.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36555
06/02/07 12:39 AM
06/02/07 12:39 AM
Edgerton WI
D
Donny O. Offline
Donny O.  Offline
D

Edgerton WI
I have been following this thread for a few months reading here and there and it is great. I don't have a car in need of paint bad enough to take the time to do this but i plan to start working on my sidecar this weekend as the paint on it is 20 years old and seen it's better days. still undecided on color as of now. have to go to the store and see what they have I think....might go with a boat paint since it is fiberglass. if it works out well I might paint the bike as well!! here is pics of it if anyone has color ideas!! it is currently black and the bike is marron and silver(but fading). I don't want a bright color like yellow or orange cuz it atracts bees....already had some episodes with bees in the sidecar cuz the kids had bright pillows in there....and dark colors might make it hot in there. so was thinking white, but now i'm thinking maybe a dark color would still be best, like a maroon/burgundy type color. ideas?

http://rides.webshots.com/album/212152673WvQJhN

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Donny O.] #36556
06/02/07 09:32 AM
06/02/07 09:32 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

I have been following this thread for a few months reading here and there and it is great. I don't have a car in need of paint bad enough to take the time to do this but i plan to start working on my sidecar this weekend as the paint on it is 20 years old and seen it's better days. still undecided on color as of now. here is pics of it if anyone has color ideas!! it is currently black and the bike is marron and silver(but fading). I don't want a bright color like yellow or orange cuz it atracts bees....already had some episodes with bees in the sidecar cuz the kids had bright pillows in there....and dark colors might make it hot in there. so was thinking white, but now i'm thinking maybe a dark color would still be best, like a maroon/burgundy type color. ideas?

Now that is a different roller project...

Here is my first thought on the sidecar... go and visit the web sites of the companies that make those personal water sports vehicles...

Those things are somewhat similar in size to a sidecar ( ie a small scale paint job ) and so you can check out how they have used paint and colors to make these small scale units look their sexiest...

For example, check out the Sea-doo color combinations on the 2008 Sea-Doo's... ( blues, yellows, reds, blacks, white ) But pay attention to how they apply them on a small surface to be the most flattering...

http://www.sea-doo.com/en-US/Products/Showroom.htm

or maybe you might like the Yamaha Waverunner's for color inspiration...

http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/waverunner/waverunner.asp

There are other manufacturers, like Polaris, Honda, etc.

Hopefully some of those paint jobs can give you inspiration... Sometimes it pays to think outside the box.. while at the same time benefiting from all the paint and color design work done by those companies...

Last edited by Marq; 06/02/07 09:40 AM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Donny O.] #36557
06/02/07 10:22 AM
06/02/07 10:22 AM
Cruising!
Q
QuickDodge Offline
super stock
QuickDodge  Offline
super stock
Q

Cruising!
White is likely to attract bees. Bee keepers paint their hives white. From personal experience, bees seem to LOVE building nests in my white shed. At my old house, I had a brown shed and it seldom had bee's nest.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: QuickDodge] #36558
06/02/07 04:44 PM
06/02/07 04:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Update:

Got this gun... http://www.tool-sale.com/full-size-hvlp-spray-with-metal-regulator-p-71.html

I think it should work alright. I am going to test it on a fender I have..

Got the Pressure switch, and installed it... My compressor finally turns off! haha

I'm going to head over to home depot soon and pick up some Satin- Anyone recommend a respirator I should use? I was looking at some 3m ones- dont know which to choose... Im probably going to pick up a half-face mask one...

Have new front and rear bumpers... I was wondering if it would be wise to paint certain panels seperatley... such as the bumpers, fenders, trunk and hood...?

I will be putting up some before pictures soon...
Started preping the trunk with 500 grit paper... it's nice and smooth =)

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36559
06/03/07 05:52 PM
06/03/07 05:52 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i hate to post such a question but i have been reading through this thread for some time. not the whole thing as i dont have the time in my life to read all the pages;)

i will be doing this paint job on a 85 RX7. i have decided to go with brightside paint. i think i will primer the car as well. the only thing holding me up now is deciding on a color.

i have searched the web for amny hours trying to find pictures of some of the brightside colors. i have found a couple on boats, which is fine. i just need to see examples of the colors. i cant find a blue im really feeling though.

the problem is, as many people have found out, the color chart for the birghtside paint isnt what the paint actually looks like. the medium blue looks like baby blue. as shown on a mustang in a previous post and on pictures i found on the web.

i turned to this thread as my last resort to try to see some examples of these colors. here is a list of the colors im looking for:

largo blue
ocean blue***mostly***
sapphire blue
dark blue
flag blue

i have read on boat forums the flag blue looks black. i assume its a similar color as to some of the newer body style celicas ive seen. it looks black but you can barely tell its blue.

any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks.

i am also emailing interlux as soon as i finish making this post.

Last edited by aws140; 06/03/07 05:56 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36560
06/03/07 07:45 PM
06/03/07 07:45 PM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline OP
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline OP
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
The flag blue I've seen is dark about what the blue on the US Flag looks like. One good thing if you like the dark blue check ebay there is a seller there that deals only with fire red and flag blue I bought the red from them six quarts for the price of two.
http://cgi.ebay.com/6Qt-Cs-Blue-Interlux...1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by 69DartGT; 06/03/07 07:47 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: 69DartGT] #36561
06/03/07 10:23 PM
06/03/07 10:23 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

The flag blue I've seen is dark about what the blue on the US Flag looks like. One good thing if you like the dark blue check ebay there is a seller there that deals only with fire red and flag blue I bought the red from them six quarts for the price of two.
http://cgi.ebay.com/6Qt-Cs-Blue-Interlux...1QQcmdZViewItem

i saw that. its a freaking good deal. thats why i want to see some pics of flag blue. im wanting a lighter color, but may use it cause its such a good deal.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36562
06/03/07 10:36 PM
06/03/07 10:36 PM
Detroit, Michigan, USA!
peelerboy Offline
master
peelerboy  Offline
master

Detroit, Michigan, USA!
I just noticed the very interesting variety (from other car makes) of usernames on this thread!

Sorry for the interuption. Carry on!

Dale

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: peelerboy] #36563
06/03/07 11:51 PM
06/03/07 11:51 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I just noticed the very interesting variety (from other car makes) of usernames on this thread!

Dang...I wish I could peel out like that! sigh...If they're like me, they dream of one day owning a mopar like yours. That's why this thread is so important. It allows us to save up for one.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36564
06/04/07 07:00 AM
06/04/07 07:00 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

i have read on boat forums the flag blue looks black. i assume its a similar color as to some of the newer body style celicas ive seen. it looks black but you can barely tell its blue.

any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks.

The 'flag' blue is a deep blackish blue. It is named appropriately enough after the color used on a genuine US flag. In fact, the 'flag blue' is almost a universal color among paint manufacturers ( almost like the 'Fire Red' is similar between different paint manufacturers ).

There are some pictures in this thread ( or the part II of it ) where a Mustang was done in one of Brightside blues.

As for the color chips on the Interlux site of the Brightside color samples, I believe they are pretty good representations of the colors. And if you can get one of the actual paint chip samples from Interlux - they are pretty well identical to whats in the can.

Although as we all know, you get an entirely different perspective when it is spread out on a large surface like a car ( as compared to some one inch by a 1/2 inch sample )

Another thing that may cause some variation in the end result color and what you were expecting is the base color or primer color that you laid your coats of paint on. Its a subtle difference.

The only other thing that tends to trip folks up when viewing colors on the Internet is the quality of their monitor and video cards and whether you actually have your monitor properly adjusted to show 'true' colors.

We have also seen that the cameras taking the pictures and the enviromental conditions ( sunny day, cloudy day ) really alter how bright or dark a color looks compared to actually standing in front of it in person.

For my Fire Red... I have pictures that range drom dark red to bright orangey red ( with the bright orangey red being the true end result color ).

So this might be the problem if you place too much dependence on pictures... there are lots of variables that don't guarantee that what you see is what you will get..

Last edited by Marq; 06/04/07 07:05 AM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36565
06/04/07 07:18 AM
06/04/07 07:18 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

aws140,
I am currently panting mine with "ocean blue". I am having problems linking here, so go over to this website below and go to the "paint and body" section...look for the $50 paint job thread. I go under the name of Blue 50. Follow my link there and look under all photos in my Yahhoo acct...you will see some pictures of my fenders.

www.stovebolt.com

old blue

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36566
06/04/07 09:26 AM
06/04/07 09:26 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

old blue,

is your whole truck ocean blue? the whole truck looks to be one color. i think im liking the way ocean blue is looking. i think itd suit my rx7 nicely. the color it is now, and was from the factor, is ocean blue. its just looks different. thanks so much for the link. you have helped me immensely.

marq- i understand what youre saying. ive looked on the interlux website for local dealers. what i plan on doing is going to one and seeing what they have to offer me to see color variations. id rather see it in person than on a computer screen. although, i just got my brand new laptop in that i just ordered for college. its got all teh goodies and set me back a good $$$. maybe i should take it out of the box and see if the colors is shows varies from what i see on my current screen.

thanks for everyones input and advice.

i just received an email back from interlux. theyre sending me a paint color card so i can see it in person rather than through a computer screen. they assure me the card is VERY accurate. now i just need to decide how many quarts i need.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #36567
06/04/07 10:55 AM
06/04/07 10:55 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I bought the case of flag blue off the ebay vendor but haven't gotten to point that I'm ready to roll it on my K5. I did a test piece that was white (which is what I'll be rolling over) and it lightened it up but not alot. Flag Blue is a VERY deep, rich blue that at first glance you think is black.

I picked up the interlux book at West Marine and their sample card in there is even darker. As Marq said, the base coat will influence it but only slightly.

Interesting tidbits on what flag blue actually means. I did not know that is the genuine US Flag color blue. That's pretty cool.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36568
06/04/07 11:46 AM
06/04/07 11:46 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Interesting tidbits on what flag blue actually means. I did not know that is the genuine US Flag color blue. That's pretty cool.

The only problem is that most people never get to see a 'genuine' US flag in order to see how deep that blue is.

Most folks only see those 'cheaper by the dozen' made in China flags that they sell in novelty stores ( which is inevitably only half the darkness of the 'real true blue'.

The cool thing about the 'true flag blue' is that it does give a car the 'decepticon' look that I love in paint jobs. Meaning the color of the car in bright day light is completely different then its night time look.

And during the day when the sun is hitting it... certain body lines at certain angles will catch a blue highlighting that emphasizes that body part and give almost a two tone type aura about the car. Naturally some cars can benefit from this effect of light reflection better than others.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #36569
06/04/07 03:47 PM
06/04/07 03:47 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

The cool thing about the 'true flag blue' is that it does give a car the 'decepticon' look that I love in paint jobs. Meaning the color of the car in bright day light is completely different then its night time look.

And during the day when the sun is hitting it... certain body lines at certain angles will catch a blue highlighting that emphasizes that body part and give almost a two tone type aura about the car. Naturally some cars can benefit from this effect of light reflection better than others.

I totally agree. One of the reasons why blue is my favorite color, particularly dark blue. Fortunately, I like black vehicles too so I get the best of both worlds! The body on the 81-87 chevy full sizes have a little ridge about half way down the doors that I think will really pop.

I'm really tempted to paint it before I finish the mechanics just to see it. Might motivate me to get to wrenchin. I can always do touchups...

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36570
06/04/07 11:19 PM
06/04/07 11:19 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

this thread is epic, thanks so much to everyone involved. i have a friend with a HVLP so i will spray on my tremclad, still undecided on the colour but here is the car right now.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #36571
06/04/07 11:52 PM
06/04/07 11:52 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Okay here is the deal people. I am gonna go in a few days and pick up my supplies to actually get started painting.

Being cheap (19 year old, no $$) I want to spend less as possible. Help me decide what I really truly need.

My 93 Civic is black right now but my Interlux color choices seem to be this...

- Black (original color is already this...)
- Flag Blue (I heard it looks black? But dark blue too...could be interesting...)
- Rustic Red (If they still have this, it could look good)
- Grand Banks Beige (This could work)

It's gonna be a toss up...lol. I probably am gonna go with something dark like Flag Blue which looks like Black...but I dont know yet.

Do I need to shell out and buy thinner? Is it needed? I thought I was going to wetsand so thinner seems for caution during really hot days. I will probably try to paint during the morning when its cool.

Could I buy only 1 sandpaper grit for during layers? Can 1500 or 2000 be good enough?

Let me know any thoughts or pointers you have.

THANKS

edit: I just realized that I probably do need mineral spirits because I can use that as the "cleaning solvent" before painting and between coats for cleanup purposes.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36572
06/05/07 12:07 AM
06/05/07 12:07 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Got a gallon of satin black, but can't seem to find 100% mineral spirits... only odorless- would that still be okay to mix and spray?

Thanks all- can't wait to start this... It's still so crappy out here- will take some pics tomorrow =)

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36573
06/05/07 12:08 AM
06/05/07 12:08 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Could I buy only 1 sandpaper grit for during layers? Can 1500 or 2000 be good enough?

Let me know any thoughts or pointers you have.

THANKS

I have abandoned the 600 and 800 grits and I wetsand after ever coat(lots of dust out here) with 1200. I will sand my final coat with 2000 only then polish. thats how I did my test piece and it came out awesome.

Page 13 of 167 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 166 167