05/21/07 10:54 AM
05/21/07 10:54 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

how did you spray clear? on new paint(rustoleum) after flash time, or on old paint? new paint waited 24 hours to clear

i was thinking that you cant paint rustoleum clear over rustoleum enamel? so how is it? it has an orange tint to it so if it is a dark color it makes it darker than it is. i wouldnt paint on white color though it will turn it orange.

how many coats ? 2 coats so far went on thick so 2 might be enough

can you take pic of clear can ?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36415
05/21/07 04:46 PM
05/21/07 04:46 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

On my second coat now and what I find strange is my first coat went on beautifully and now the second im having a few problems, when painting im getting streaks of paint coming of the edge of the roller, as if it builds up on one side and then falls out this doesnt fully dissapear no matter how much I roll over it after. So it leaves roller marks.

Also when I apply mineral spirits on the paint to try to help it level out it sometimes takes the paint straight off leaving a strange rough patch.

Anyone able to explain either? Ive been using 10% mineral spirits to the brightside (20ml mineal spirits, 180 brightside) also tried increasing the amount of mineral spirits to no avail.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36416
05/21/07 06:54 PM
05/21/07 06:54 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

On my second coat now and what I find strange is my first coat went on beautifully and now the second im having a few problems, when painting im getting streaks of paint coming of the edge of the roller, as if it builds up on one side and then falls out this doesnt fully dissapear no matter how much I roll over it after. So it leaves roller marks.

Also when I apply mineral spirits on the paint to try to help it level out it sometimes takes the paint straight off leaving a strange rough patch.

Anyone able to explain either? Ive been using 10% mineral spirits to the brightside (20ml mineal spirits, 180 brightside) also tried increasing the amount of mineral spirits to no avail.

This could be a one-two type problem....

One : the subsurface paint had not fully cured. If this is true... then the next coating would possibly have the effect of unsettling the lower surface paiint. Normally that would lead to an orange peel type effect. But if there was more paint being applied from the side of the roller, the 'edge is noticable' effect that you are mentioning would possibly be caused by the higher saturation or concentration of fresh paint/mineral spirits being left on the edges of the rollers.

and

Two : the roller was overloaded with paint. You may have to work the paint out of the roller when it is in the paint tray so that you can lay on a thinner layer for the subsequent build up of paint. If the roller is bleeding at the edge... you will just have to make sure that you give extra attention to working the paint out of the edges of the roller while loading it up in the paint tray. Basically just lay more pressure on the two edges while unloading paint in the tray.

Hopefully it is not a situation where there is so much paint in the tray that it is soaking into the middle of the roller where the metal shaft is. That could lead to a potential situation where paint could ooooze out from the ends of the roller. If so... you will just have to be quicker spotting the excess paint during the rolling and roll over to blend it in with the rest of the coatings. The handy second 'clean' roller might need to be put to use if the excess continues while you are trying to work out the excess with your painting roller.

So depending on the enviroment's temperature that you are working in the curing time ( where you wait between coatings ) may have to be lengthened in order to ensure that subsequent applications of coatings doesn't uncure the lower coating.

What seems odd is that under normal circumstances you can normally re-roll right away over the freshly laid coating of paint and 'work out' any imperfections left during the initial application of that coating.

Possibly you might keep a second 'clean' roller on hand to use only when you are re-working a spot where a run or edge-run happens...

Don't know if this helps... but those are my initial thoughts on hearing your problem.

Last edited by Marq; 05/21/07 07:07 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #36417
05/22/07 03:49 AM
05/22/07 03:49 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks Marq youre right I wasnt letting it cure I thought since it dried after a few hours I could paint again, big mistake i guess!

I was probably also leaving too much paint on the roller.

Also how long should one wait before wetsanding after having painted, 24 hours? Then how long to let the car dry after having wetsanded and cleaned the car?

Should one avoid painting when its raining because of the increased humidity in the air?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36418
05/22/07 09:58 AM
05/22/07 09:58 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The budget paint job on the TR4 is far from finished, but I am taking a break from wet sanding etc, so I can actually get driving. I will continue to work on it through the Summer to improve on the quality. 1st classic car show this weekend and I am interested to see what the reaction will be to a roller painted car.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36419
05/22/07 10:37 AM
05/22/07 10:37 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

thats pretty. i miss my tr6's and tr8

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36420
05/22/07 11:32 AM
05/22/07 11:32 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

i sprayed mine on today

Looks really nice. Really gives the black the depth it needs. I am wondering how it will polish out.

I have to do some body work on my car before I can spray it but I am dying to try.

-Nathan

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36421
05/22/07 02:45 PM
05/22/07 02:45 PM
MD, USA
V
v8mirage Offline
v8mirage  Offline
V

MD, USA
I would bet that if you don't tell anyone that its a roller job that few if any would be able to tell. At least that's what I am finding with my friends and neighbors. My car's paint is still very thin, but no one even suspects that it is rolled. They wonder how I can take a break between coats.

Gerbs

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: v8mirage] #36422
05/22/07 02:53 PM
05/22/07 02:53 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I haven't rolled my car yet(still doing body work) but based on how my test piece came out in comparison to a couple of brand new black Fords here on the lot. I'd say they will definately be able to tell the difference since my rolled on paint looks 10 times better than that factory orange peel crap!!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36423
05/22/07 03:07 PM
05/22/07 03:07 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

The budget paint job on the TR4 is far from finished, but I am taking a break from wet sanding etc, so I can actually get driving. I will continue to work on it through the Summer to improve on the quality. 1st classic car show this weekend and I am interested to see what the reaction will be to a roller painted car.

I have a tinge of jealousy surfacing after seeing the TR4... Ah my good old days of owning a number of TR4A IRS's is flooding back...

Believe it or not... when I picked up the Mustang McLaren I was actually shopping around for 'yet another' TR4A IRS. But sanity took hold and I opted for the McLaren instead... just so I wouldn't have to pay through the nose for all the odd little parts that they charge a kings ransom for the TR4.

By the way... we have an auto-wrecker/junkyard up here that is 'mostly British' and he probably has more dismantled TR4 parts then all the other auto-recyclers combined ( in case you ever need some help locating a part ). He also has Healy 3000's & 6's... Jag XKE's and various Mark's... plus Spits and TR6's. I think he might even have one or two Jensens. The guy has been into Brit sportscar for about 45 years now ( and he is the guy that dropped that Turbo V6 Buick engine into my baby blue TR4A IRS

IF you have the TR4A IRS or a TR6 here is a money saving secret. The Datsun/Nissan 240Z U joint is identical in size and fit to the TR U joint - but it is 3 times stronger and 1/3rd the price

Last edited by Marq; 05/22/07 03:19 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36424
05/22/07 06:24 PM
05/22/07 06:24 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Spent about a week reading up on this and tested a small patch on a fender. It's Rustoleum gloss sunburst yellow mixed with mineral spirits (odorless) This is after 4 to 5 thin coats. I let it cure in the hot sun yesterday and it dried alot quicker. Bubbles stopped forming after about the 3rd coat. Anyone try this color out yet? I'm considering painting my 280z. Anyone use this color yet? I might try the Interlux paint.

3517634-yellow1.jpg (609 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36425
05/22/07 06:25 PM
05/22/07 06:25 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

here's a better pic. I still have to wetsand and add couple more coats.

3517641-yellow2.jpg (666 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36426
05/22/07 06:50 PM
05/22/07 06:50 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

here's a better pic. I still have to wetsand and add couple more coats.

I don't know if it's just the picture or not but that seems awefully "peely". When I did my test, even with a 20% mineral spirits mix I had a lot less peel than that. I'd be concerned that you will have to burn thru several layers to get it smooth if it's as bad as the picture makes it look, No offense, just trying to help. What type of roller are you using?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36427
05/22/07 09:32 PM
05/22/07 09:32 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Rolled her out into the sun, the satin black looks better out of the garage

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36428
05/22/07 11:01 PM
05/22/07 11:01 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Rolled her out into the sun, the satin black looks better out of the garage

AMEN!!!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36429
05/22/07 11:07 PM
05/22/07 11:07 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I can not recall, did you end up color sanding that at all?
Or did the satin just lay down that smooth?

From what I can tell of the pictures you have posted I am thinking no-one here in the shop would believe it was not shot.
Gotta love the 69's next to my 66 fastback, they are my favorite.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36430
05/23/07 08:20 AM
05/23/07 08:20 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No, I did not wet sand, Just layed down 2 thin coats. In places where I had roller marks, I just kept going back over it until the marks blended out. I used the low odor mineral spirits which dry alot slower so you can re-work the whole car for like 15 minutes, using medium-thin paint.

As an aside, I have touched up a few spots on the edges with spray can satin and it blends right in with the rolled satin.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36431
05/23/07 11:57 AM
05/23/07 11:57 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

was the spray cans the stuff with the patio furniture on it?
I am sure some are wondering as it was asked earlier.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36432
05/23/07 01:41 PM
05/23/07 01:41 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes, the white can with the patio furnature on it.

After 3 weeks, it is really hard now, I banged it with a ratchet yesterday and didnt scratch at all.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36433
05/23/07 02:32 PM
05/23/07 02:32 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

For MYBUICK, GFEIGHNY, and other present and former sprayers,
(Subject:1994 Chevy Caprice)
Like Mybuick, I was never completely satisfied with the roller method. I painted a test fender and my garage entry door and I am confident that the roller method can work if you have the time to make it happen; however, my subject is a daily driver and I will only have a week to dismantle it and paint it.

Motivated by the following statement found in part II of the thread:
“The sprayed portion was completely hard in a day or two while the rolled on parts took about two months to reach full hardness.”
-Trent

I’ve got a full face respirator, a small 30 gallon 1.5 HP compressor and a HF touch up gun, model 46719-1VGA with 1.0 mm tip, a porter cable buffer with assorted cutting and polishing pads.

Questions:
1) Is one week enough time to properly take everything apart, spray it, buff it, and reassemble it?
2) Should I build a DIY booth? I was thinking of covering the floor and walls with plastic, mounting 2 fans high pulling air in, and 2 fans on the ground pushing air out – all using AC filters. Is this overkill?
3) The car is black, the primer I used to cover the repaired areas is black and the new paint will be black, how many sprayed coats will be required?
4) When spraying, did you sand after each coat? If so, what grade paper did you use?
5) It looks like 3 parts Rustoleum Professional and 2 parts regular mineral spirits is the correct mixture – right?
6) This was asked in part II, if I’m going to spray it, should I use a different paint? (I’m sure there are many options, but I would like to stay within a reasonable budget.)

Any other hints and tips about using an HVLP gun and spraying method would be greatly appreciated.

Page 6 of 167 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 166 167