05/12/24 07:28 AM
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Offline
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Offline
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator

Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
Originally Posted by Mr PotatoHead
Used to be that way. Many in my family had SF and after one crashed a new motorcycle.. c ya... Another crashed a new convertible....c ya.

This was along time ago, like mid 80-s but that was the State Farm MO for many.

Originally Posted by not_a_charger
Originally Posted by second 70
State farm has a habit of canceling you if you have a claim.

This is not correct

Was never that way. They weren't the largest insurance company (and by a huge margin) by making it habit to cancel people after a claim. No doubt it did happen to some people, but that happens to some people with any insurance company. But was never a "habit."

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: Insurance renewal shock [Re: oldjonny] #3232307
05/12/24 12:06 PM
05/12/24 12:06 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Originally Posted by oldjonny
Originally Posted by moparx
"If you doubt the roof cost figures just stop. I traveled nationwide handling catastrophe claims for a long time (30 yr rep). I wrote my own roof estimate before I left and compared it to what was written. Everything was correct only the cost has changed.
The insurance companies actuarial scales can no longer keep up. Depending on where you live it isn't going to get better anytime soon."

i had the roof on the house and garage replaced several years back, before 2020, but i can't remember just how many years before.
at that time, the house was $7600.00 and the garage was around $6000.00.
today, it would be $30,000.00 or more !
beer

$61,000 to have my house and barn done. Removing old shingles and putting on new. Not kidding.

my house was built in 1872, and still had the slate roof. if i could have found someone who would have been able to replace a few slates, i would still have that roof today.
to shingle the roof would have been WAY more than i could have afforded, just because of the way the roof trusses and other parts were constructed, and that meant new trusses at a minimum, plus sheeting material and who knows what else.
so i bit my tongue and had a steel roof installed. i upgraded a couple of thicknesses to a sort of industrial quality, and also got the kind that doesn't have exposed fasteners/screw heads.
so far, so good, but as you and others have said, today, it would be a TON more money today, no matter what material one decided on using for the roof.
and trying to get people around here to do any work is a joke ! lazy bastages don't even want to show up for an estimate, even on jobs that would be very expensive and profitable for them............... mad
i have been trying to get someone to install a new counter top in the kitchen for years. "yeah, i'll be over tomorrow or the next day to take a look. sounds like a pretty easy project..............." then ya never hear from them again...............
and all the time around here, there are guys on the newz that take your down payment and never show up to do the work. especially doing this to the elderly, which unfortunately, i'm right there......
i bet my old man is laffin' his a$$ off from above, sayin' : "ya should'a listened to what i was tellin' ya about carpentry ! laugh2"...............
i can't pound a nail straight to save my a$$. spank panic
beer

Re: Insurance renewal shock [Re: moparx] #3232412
05/12/24 09:59 PM
05/12/24 09:59 PM
Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
5thAve Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway
5thAve  Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway

Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
We've had a few claims over the years with state farm and never had them cancel a policy over it. I did move one vehicle to another company on my own after state farm screwed up and doubled the billing price and was too arrogant to acknowledge the problem.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5