B300 VanDanage  Offline OP
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
79' Dodge B300 Extended Cargo Van
LA360 V8 2bbl
A727 transmission

I'm back unfortunately!
I drove my van over to a neighbors this morning, started just fine and ran great on the way there but it took longer than usual to start again before heading back home but it eventually fired up and ran great on the way home! I got home and had it parked for a few hours and I went out there to move it and now it won't start at all! It cranks really well but no ignition! Yes it has fuel and I took the air cleaner off to see the fuel squirt into the barrels...

If some of you remember me I was here a few weeks ago dealing with an overcharging issue which I bypassed and still running the bypass wire! I haven't had time to figure out the cause of the overcharging issue yet, not sure if it's related to the no start problem I'm having now but thought I'd mention it!

The last electrical issue I noticed with it was the backup lights weren't coming on! I'm not certain but it's the neutral safety switch that engages the backup lights when put in reverse correct? Could a bad neutral safety switch cause it not to start?

Re: Cranks but doesn't fire! [Re: B300 VanDanage] #3231999
05/10/24 06:47 AM
05/10/24 06:47 AM
West Coast, USA
jbc426 Offline
master
jbc426  Offline
master

West Coast, USA
"Could a bad neutral safety switch cause it not to start?" It would not crank or turn over at all if there is no neutral safety switch contact. Have you checked for spark?

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda #'s 440-6(block in storage)currently 493" 6 pack, Shaker, 5 speed Passon, 4.10's
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible 408 Magnum EFI with 4 speed automatic overdrive, 3800 stall lock-up converter and 4.30's (closest thing to an automatic 5 speed going)
Re: Cranks but doesn't fire! [Re: jbc426] #3232000
05/10/24 07:24 AM
05/10/24 07:24 AM
A
Andrewh Offline
master
Andrewh  Offline
master
A

neutral saftey as said above would stop cranking.

as for the bypass, if you ran it to the wrong side of the ballast, you could have burned up the coil as it shouldn't take that many volts.

but also as said above, check for spark before throwing parts at it.

the odd part is that it ran and wasn't a problem till you tried to restart. so I would also be checking for power at the various spots you messed with as a starting point.
you might also put it in run and then jump the relay for the starter and see if it fires up, in which case it would be the start circuit to chase down.

Re: Cranks but doesn't fire! [Re: Andrewh] #3232014
05/10/24 09:07 AM
05/10/24 09:07 AM
Buford, GA
I_bleed_MOPAR Offline
master
I_bleed_MOPAR  Offline
master

Buford, GA
As mentioned, check for spark.
Been a minute since I had one that old but were ballast resistors an issue in '79? work

Tim

'71 Charger 383/727
'17 Challenger SXT (Wifeys car wink )
Re: Cranks but doesn't fire! [Re: I_bleed_MOPAR] #3232018
05/10/24 09:20 AM
05/10/24 09:20 AM
nowhere
S
Sniper Online content
master
Sniper  Online Content
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by I_bleed_MOPAR
As mentioned, check for spark.
Been a minute since I had one that old but were ballast resistors an issue in '79? work

Tim

If it has a ballast, it would be bypassed in start. It would start then as soon as you let go of the key it would die.

Assuming the system is wired properly.

During start mode the electrical system is at it's most loaded down state, not uprising that any marginal part of the ignition system would not work then, but work in run.

Without any troubleshooting info, hard to say what failed.

Re: Cranks but doesn't fire! [Re: Andrewh] #3232046
05/10/24 12:21 PM
05/10/24 12:21 PM
Chino Valley
B
B300 VanDanage Offline OP
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
Originally Posted by Andrewh
neutral saftey as said above would stop cranking.

as for the bypass, if you ran it to the wrong side of the ballast, you could have burned up the coil as it shouldn't take that many volts.

but also as said above, check for spark before throwing parts at it.

the odd part is that it ran and wasn't a problem till you tried to restart. so I would also be checking for power at the various spots you messed with as a starting point.
you might also put it in run and then jump the relay for the starter and see if it fires up, in which case it would be the start circuit to chase down.

I ran the bypass to both sides of the coil...

Re: Cranks but doesn't fire! [Re: B300 VanDanage] #3232050
05/10/24 12:51 PM
05/10/24 12:51 PM
Chino Valley
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
Well... I just did a spark test from the wire coming out of the coil to the distributor and there's no spark! I unplugged it from the distributor and ran a jumper wire from that end to a ground and nothing! So I guess the coil is fried! It's actually the original chrysler coil so maybe it was just time for it to fail or could it be that the bypass to the ballast did something??? I'd hate to buy another coil just to fry that one as well!

Re: Cranks but doesn't fire! [Re: B300 VanDanage] #3232062
05/10/24 01:49 PM
05/10/24 01:49 PM
A
Andrewh Offline
master
Andrewh  Offline
master
A

then you killed the coil with the bypass.
the ballast resister takes the voltage down in run to about 8 volts.
by running 12 volts to it you burned it out.

there are 12 volt coils, so you can replace it with one of those, but in the future recheck which side of the ballast has 12 volts first. and only put 12 volts to that side.

Re: Cranks but doesn't fire! [Re: Andrewh] #3232063
05/10/24 01:56 PM
05/10/24 01:56 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
Have you checked for power to the positive side of the coil?

Re: Cranks but doesn't fire! [Re: Andrewh] #3232081
05/10/24 04:26 PM
05/10/24 04:26 PM
Chino Valley
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
then you killed the coil with the bypass.
the ballast resister takes the voltage down in run to about 8 volts.
by running 12 volts to it you burned it out.

there are 12 volt coils, so you can replace it with one of those, but in the future recheck which side of the ballast has 12 volts first. and only put 12 volts to that side.

Sorry, I meant ballast resistor not coil!
I ran a bypass wire from the battery to both sides of the ballast resistor (pictured) due to the overcharging issue....

IMG_20240510_132533647.jpg
Re: Cranks but doesn't fire! [Re: stumpy] #3232083
05/10/24 04:35 PM
05/10/24 04:35 PM
Chino Valley
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
Originally Posted by stumpy
Have you checked for power to the positive side of the coil?

Yes, I just did! There's 11.9 volts going to the positive side of the coil with the key in the ON position... and incase it matters there's 11.7 volts at the negative side of the coil...

Re: Cranks but doesn't fire! [Re: B300 VanDanage] #3232085
05/10/24 04:48 PM
05/10/24 04:48 PM
A
Andrewh Offline
master
Andrewh  Offline
master
A

the coil cannot run on 12 volts for long or it will die.
in run you should only have about 8 volts going to it.
I don't remember how the 4 post ballast works, but you have to only jumper the side that reads 12 volts with the key in run, not both sides.
so remove your jumpers and check voltages again to see which side reads 8 vs 12 and only jumper the 12 volt side.
or you will be getting another new coil.

or you can eliminate the ballast and use a 12 volt coil.

Re: Cranks but doesn't fire! [Re: Andrewh] #3232087
05/10/24 05:11 PM
05/10/24 05:11 PM
Chino Valley
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
I don't remember how the 4 post ballast works, but you have to only jumper the side that reads 12 volts with the key in run, not both sides.
so remove your jumpers and check voltages again to see which side reads 8 vs 12 and only jumper the 12 volt side.

Here's the thing about the bypass I installed... I ran a wire from the battery to a switch and from the switch to both sides of the ballast so that I wouldn't have to remove the bypass from the resistor every time. The readings I posted are without the bypass engaged!

Re: Cranks but doesn't fire! [Re: B300 VanDanage] #3232092
05/10/24 06:16 PM
05/10/24 06:16 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
My advice is get rid of the add ons you did and go back to factory wiring. It worked for years and there is no reason for it not to work now. Just a suggestion. shruggy

Re: Cranks but doesn't fire! [Re: stumpy] #3232106
05/10/24 07:52 PM
05/10/24 07:52 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
You guys are jumping into an ongoing mess with this van.

The reason for the bypass he talks about is because there was a voltage drop between the key and the ballast resistor. The by pass was suppose to be a temporary thing until he had time to chase down the reason for the voltage drop. Apparently since the van has been starting he felt there was no need to look into the cause of his original problem, its been a few months. There has also been a big over charging issue with this van, I don't remember if that got resolved or not. Then there was a fuel pump dumping fuel into the oil pan. I believe he got that changed, but I'm unsure if he ever changed the oil.

The way the bypass has been wired, the ballast is still fully functional. The bypass eliminated all the wiring connections on the van between the key switch and the ballast, it has done nothing else..

So he is back looking for another cheap temporary fix to get it running until the next time it won't start. Not that most of us have not been in that position before, a time or two.

This is going to sound dumb, but look at the position the rotor is pointing at on the distributor, then crank the motor just a little, and see if the rotor has turned at all. The motor may have a bad timing chain. If the rotor is turning, pull # 1 spark plug out of the cylinder and see if there is compression while the motor is cranking over. .if you have compression, see if you can bump the motor so that the timing marks are lined up at "0" and look to see if the rotor is pointing at the place on the distributor cap where the wire to cylinder #1 is. If its off 1 spot, the timing chain may have slipped and it needs to be replaced. If the rotor is pointing at the place the #1 wire is, then move on.

If you have power to the coil, the problem is in the ignition system, It could be as easy as a bad coil wire from the coil to the distributor, a bad coil, or a fried electronic ignition part. The coil wire, and then the coil are the cheapest places to start. If you have something there that runs that has a similar coil wire, or coil, you could swap them over onto the van (one at a time please) and see if the van will start. If it starts, replace which ever one was bad with a new one.

If that doesn't work, your going to have to remind us what ignition system is on your van (it may or may not be original to the can), before we can move forward from here.

Re: Cranks but doesn't fire! [Re: poorboy] #3232187
05/11/24 12:51 PM
05/11/24 12:51 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
i ran into a bad coil wire last fall on my charger. it would sometimes start easy, and sometimes take forever to start. after it started, it ran good.
the problem turned out to be the brass connector that attaches to the wire, then plugs into the coil.
it had been a bad connection for a while, as the brass had a bunch of burn marks and pits, and had actually started to melt through the rubber coil boot on the bottom. [coil is mounted horizontally, thus, the bottom of the boot couldn't be seen.]
new coil wire and all has been well since.
beer

Re: Cranks but doesn't fire! [Re: stumpy] #3232773
05/14/24 02:15 PM
05/14/24 02:15 PM
Chino Valley
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
Originally Posted by stumpy
My advice is get rid of the add ons you did and go back to factory wiring. It worked for years and there is no reason for it not to work now. Just a suggestion. shruggy

I can't! There's a reason for the bypass... I don't have any other 'add-on's' other than that!
I started another thread a couple of months ago about it.
I was(still) having an overcharging issue with van and I still haven't had time to find that problem so as suggest I installed the bypass so I could drive it!
Believe me, I don't want all these extra little things on my van! I want to fix the issues so that it goes back to working the way the factory intended!

Re: Cranks but doesn't fire! [Re: poorboy] #3232779
05/14/24 02:30 PM
05/14/24 02:30 PM
Chino Valley
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
Originally Posted by poorboy
You guys are jumping into an ongoing mess with this van.

The reason for the bypass he talks about is because there was a voltage drop between the key and the ballast resistor. The by pass was suppose to be a temporary thing until he had time to chase down the reason for the voltage drop. Apparently since the van has been starting he felt there was no need to look into the cause of his original problem, its been a few months. There has also been a big over charging issue with this van, I don't remember if that got resolved or not. Then there was a fuel pump dumping fuel into the oil pan. I believe he got that changed, but I'm unsure if he ever changed the oil.

The way the bypass has been wired, the ballast is still fully functional. The bypass eliminated all the wiring connections on the van between the key switch and the ballast, it has done nothing else..

So he is back looking for another cheap temporary fix to get it running until the next time it won't start. Not that most of us have not been in that position before, a time or two.

This is going to sound dumb, but look at the position the rotor is pointing at on the distributor, then crank the motor just a little, and see if the rotor has turned at all. The motor may have a bad timing chain. If the rotor is turning, pull # 1 spark plug out of the cylinder and see if there is compression while the motor is cranking over. .if you have compression, see if you can bump the motor so that the timing marks are lined up at "0" and look to see if the rotor is pointing at the place on the distributor cap where the wire to cylinder #1 is. If its off 1 spot, the timing chain may have slipped and it needs to be replaced. If the rotor is pointing at the place the #1 wire is, then move on.

If you have power to the coil, the problem is in the ignition system, It could be as easy as a bad coil wire from the coil to the distributor, a bad coil, or a fried electronic ignition part. The coil wire, and then the coil are the cheapest places to start. If you have something there that runs that has a similar coil wire, or coil, you could swap them over onto the van (one at a time please) and see if the van will start. If it starts, replace which ever one was bad with a new one.

If that doesn't work, your going to have to remind us what ignition system is on your van (it may or may not be original to the can), before we can move forward from here.

The reason I still haven't address the underlying issues for the bypass is because my daily driver as an S10 which I was replacing the clutch in which I finally finished and have been driving...
I was driving the van because that's my backup vehicle but I'd still like to keep chipping away at it to get it fixed properly because I know I'll need to drive it again very soon! I still have more work to do to my truck so I'd like to get the van properly fixed...
I thought we already identified the problem was the coil at the beginning of this thread!
No spark coming out of the sparkplug wires and there's 11.9 volts going to the coil at the positive side and that number has nothing to do with the bypass because the bypass isn't engaged!

Edit:
I did end up changing the oil twice and I probably didn't even have too because there wasn't much fuel that made it down into the cylinders if any but I still changed it to be safe!

Last edited by B300 VanDanage; 05/18/24 02:23 AM.
Re: Cranks but doesn't fire! [Re: B300 VanDanage] #3232796
05/14/24 03:40 PM
05/14/24 03:40 PM
Chino Valley
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
As mentioned above by 'Andrewh' I may have fried the coil running the bypass to both sides of the resistor! One side goes to the ignition control module and the other side goes to the coil! I have now removed the bypass from the coil side! I have a new coil waiting for my at the UPS store so when I'm able to get to town I'll install it and see what happens! I'm sure it'll work fine again but for how long is the question? I don't want to keep frying components so obviously I'll be going back to the "overcharging issue" thread I started months ago to pick up where I left off and actually fix the problem!

Re: Cranks but doesn't fire! [Re: Andrewh] #3233418
05/17/24 07:50 PM
05/17/24 07:50 PM
Chino Valley
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley

Andrewh! You are 100% correct!
I just installed the new coil and it fires up and runs great!
The problem was exactly what you said it was! I ran the bypass to both sides of the resistor when I should've only ran it to the side that goes to the ignition control module! So one side of the resistor goes to the coil directly and one side goes to the ignition control module! I removed the bypass from the coil side and now the coil is getting 8.5volts!
Thank you sir for all your help!
I'll still be back to figure out the overcharging issue when I have time but for now the van is drivable again!

Page 1 of 2 1 2