04/25/24 09:10 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Originally Posted by Magnum
Once you decide on a trailer. You will have to consider upgrades.

I drove flatbed tow truck for 5 years. Secured the cars on the bed with chains, wheel straps through the rims and wheel straps. Holding the car by the frame is the worst thing you can do to a car. It feels solid but when that bed or trailer hits bumps it will bang into the chains and oval out holes. If the car dips on the suspension, all good. When it extends up, it will smash into the chains so hard dirt and rust will be sitting on the bed to prove what happened.

E tracks to secure all 4 tires is the best method. Have 3 fail and the car will still be there. This is how all the manufacturers tow the new cars.

Not all new cars, like the Vipers the frames were reinforced to chain them down, some other high-end cars are the same. Axle straps are still the safest and easiest to use besides straps through the wheels if it is possible to do that. Using wheel straps in an enclosed trailer is not always easy, especially for us old guys. I have never had an issue with axle straps over the rear axle and trough the lower control arms... twocents

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Enclosed car trailersI [Re: Rhinodart] #3229235
04/25/24 10:08 PM
04/25/24 10:08 PM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
Originally Posted by Rhinodart

I drove flatbed tow truck for 5 years. Secured the cars on the bed with chains, wheel straps through the rims and wheel straps. Holding the car by the frame is the worst thing you can do to a car. It feels solid but when that bed or trailer hits bumps it will bang into the chains and oval out holes. If the car dips on the suspension, all good. When it extends up, it will smash into the chains so hard dirt and rust will be sitting on the bed to prove what happened.

E tracks to secure all 4 tires is the best method. Have 3 fail and the car will still be there. This is how all the manufacturers tow the new cars.

Not all new cars, like the Vipers the frames were reinforced to chain them down, some other high-end cars are the same. Axle straps are still the safest and easiest to use besides straps through the wheels if it is possible to do that. Using wheel straps in an enclosed trailer is not always easy, especially for us old guys. I have never had an issue with axle straps over the rear axle and trough the lower control arms... twocents

I have always wrapped around the rear axle and thru the K frame on the front.
I am considering getting a pair of the brackets that bolt on with the rear axle U bolts for the rear though.

Re: Enclosed car trailersI [Re: gtx6970] #3229241
04/25/24 11:50 PM
04/25/24 11:50 PM
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Originally Posted by gtx6970
[quote=Magnum]Once you decide on a trailer. You will have to consider upgrades.

I have always wrapped around the rear axle and thru the K frame on the front.

Those are nice, I wish everyone had them! When I worked for Mr. Norms Garage all our custom builds had oval rings welded on front and rear, made my job much easier, especially when I had the 4 car stacker!

Toter home.jpg

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Enclosed car trailersI [Re: Rhinodart] #3231069
05/04/24 08:53 PM
05/04/24 08:53 PM
Hamilton, Ontario Canada
Magnum Offline
master
Magnum  Offline
master

Hamilton, Ontario Canada

Vipers are not new cars and I'm not saying this to argue. Only to educate that I've seen the difference and sharing my reasons why I think it's better.
Axles or control arms is almost the same as wheel or tire securement. Either allows the suspension to absorb the bumps in the road. I used to tow alot of Mopars with a strap forward from the K member. This is not bad because it's pretty horizontal, not quite chaining a frame downwards on an angle.

Interested on hearing why you think frame is better.

By the way. E tracks is very easy to use. Especially for "old guys" The system secures onto the track, over the tire, onto the track then a clip is used to change the strap from a vertical pull to a horizontal pull. Which will be a ratchet mechanism any distance away like 2 or 3 feet.

69 Super Bee, 93 Mustang LX, 04 Allure Super
Re: Enclosed car trailersI [Re: Magnum] #3231126
05/05/24 11:25 AM
05/05/24 11:25 AM
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Vipers are not new cars and I'm not saying this to argue. Only to educate that I've seen the difference and sharing my reasons why I think it's better.
Axles or control arms is almost the same as wheel or tire securement. Either allows the suspension to absorb the bumps in the road. I used to tow alot of Mopars with a strap forward from the K member. This is not bad because it's pretty horizontal, not quite chaining a frame downwards on an angle.

Interested on hearing why you think frame is better.

By the way. E tracks is very easy to use. Especially for "old guys" The system secures onto the track, over the tire, onto the track then a clip is used to change the strap from a vertical pull to a horizontal pull. Which will be a ratchet mechanism any distance away like 2 or 3 feet.

I do NOT think tying it down by the frame is better, in fact Reliable used the holes in the frame of a survivor 69 Daytona bringing it to the MCACN show a couple years ago and ripped 6" tears in the frame! I just don't like the e-track with wheel straps in enclosed trailers because it is hard to the straps buckled correctly on the e-track, it is simple on open trailers! Us old fat guys only bend to much in enclosed trailers...

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3