AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Originally Posted by IMGTX
Originally Posted by 69hemibeep
How do you average the cost of a home charging station into this, My friend had the power company pull in a larger service also.

To be fair I would think look at the service life if the vehicle and divide installation costs over that time.

I.e. if you expect the ev to last 10 years and the cost to install charger is 10,000 then the cost per year would be 1,000.
I made the numbers up but the concept is valid. I would be interested in what actual numbers are to install a station. shruggy

Originally Posted by AndyF

$6900 of car related expenses last year. That is gas, tires, repairs, registration, etc. for the vehicles that I use for my business. I think the total miles driven was a little over 10,000.

But the EV was almost zero. No maintenance costs just a few hundred for tags.

Doesn't the ev use tires too?
To be accurate you should look at tire wear per mile on each car then factor in costs over the miles driven.

You didn't say, but if you replaced tires on 2 gas vehicles that already had 2 years of wear or driven 10 times as much as the ev that had brand new tires when you got it, the numbers may be off.
No doubt the ev is cheaper for the short term but long term will be less rosey. Still better I think but not as pretty as right now.

There isn't a "charger station", just a 240 volt outlet in the garage. My house is new construction so the outlet was prewired. On an older house it can cost a few hundred dollars to pull an additional 50 amp circuit for the outlet.
My EV is a 2020 Leaf that I bought used. The tires are original and only have 10,000 miles on them. They'll last another 5 or 6 years or so since the car doesn't get driven a lot. I do cash based accounting so I don't amortize stuff like tire wear into the mileage. I just report actual costs. Actual maintenance costs for my Leaf have been zero since I bought it.

Re: Cost to travel 100 miles by road vehicle [Re: AndyF] #3217834
03/03/24 08:26 PM
03/03/24 08:26 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Is a Leaf a full electric vehicle, or it is a hybrid?

My 49 Dodge pickup (EFI V8, auto, 4x4) gets driven 100 + miles every week. Depending on the cost of the gas at the pump, (it ranged between 3.15/gal and 3.59/gal in Feb) my fuel only cost is $25-$30 every 100 miles or so, around town. Most of the summer it sees a lot more highway miles and that costs around $5 - $6 less per 100 miles (fuel only). We put 9,000 miles on the 49 in 2023. My truck, during the worst winter conditions has a 150 mile range on the fuel usage before I feel a need to fill up (which takes about 10 minutes at most).

Then is comes down to personal choice. I would much rather drive my 49 that I have about $10,000 invested in, then your Leaf. I have a friend that bought a new Leaf (maybe its the one you have). After 6 months, the traded it in and got an IC car.

Page 2 of 2 1 2