USA
360view Offline OP
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline OP
Moparts resident spammer

USA
https://www.nationaldefensemagazine...army-charges-ahead-marines-stay-cautious

sample quote

In addition to the logistics concerns surrounding charging EVs, Marine Corps Systems Command points to another issue they consider prohibitive: the amphibious service’s tactical vehicles all have a built-in requirement to be able to drive through small bodies of water at depths of up to 60 inches, or five feet. While commercially available EVs — without exhaust pipes or air intakes — have demonstrated the ability to drive through standing water without issue, there have also been instances of EVs catching fire in floodwaters due to “thermal runaway” following battery damage.

Re: EV Tax $: Army bites, Marines doubt [Re: 360view] #3212997
02/12/24 11:59 AM
02/12/24 11:59 AM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...
I am not an EV guy but from a tactical standpoint they can be quieter and I believe they produce a lower infrared signature. Not the end all for every military vehicle but I can see some advantages in some circumstances.

I think the Army's push has more to do with current administrations policies or budget allowances than a drive for trendy/green/electric technology. I feel sure that there is government funds available to the military to switch over to EV and they are taking advantage of that. There is not usually a lot of push to keep the military cool and trendy when it comes down to getting the job done. IMHO

There are lots of places that the military is still using 75+ year old technology because it works. B-52's, 50 cal Browning Machine guns, etc.

Re: EV Tax $: Army bites, Marines doubt [Re: IMGTX] #3213430
02/14/24 09:56 AM
02/14/24 09:56 AM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by IMGTX
I am not an EV guy but from a tactical standpoint they can be quieter and I believe they produce a lower infrared signature. Not the end all for every military vehicle but I can see some advantages in some circumstances.

Hydrogen fuel cells would have all that and more. However, not sure that technology is to the point I'd have the military's lives depend on it?