I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy
Originally Posted by Sniper
Originally Posted by TJP

If I hit him full bore with parts and the little that's left to do it'd be close to 15K.

This is why I learned to do it myself. I won't begrudge a man what he's earned, but conversely I couldn't afford to pay the man with the knowledge either. So I "invested" in learning how to do it myself.

Sometimes that was more expensive than letting the man do it, lol. Something I learned after the fact.

Yep no way I’d have been able to stay in the hobby paying others for most of this stuff. I’ve come to accept I can afford to redo it if I screw it up, maybe buy parts I didn’t need to to begin with, etc and still be ahead of paying a shop. Tools I don’t even flinch at buying and my hobby has always led to me having tools I use in the house. I don’t think I’d want to be doing this for a hundred an hour anyway.

I have always felt the same on most things, But in my later years I also came to realize that sometimes the mans knowledge is worth paying for, IE: Concrete work, Roofing and some others. One thing I did once and will never do again is 420 sq ft of vinyl sheet flooring in 3 rooms (all the same). Was actually offered a job by an area flooring manager when he saw the finished floor. NOT GONNA HAPPEN LOL 🤣

Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: TJP] #3176377
09/19/23 05:02 PM
09/19/23 05:02 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
A big thank you to all that helped through this mess.
The car went home yesterday and I hope to never see it or it's owner again. I lost my backside on the deal labor wise and the customer could have cared less. Couldn't even say thank you for the detail job. He said, doubt I'll even request the money back from the other shop. I said if you don't need it it would certainly help me. No comment back.
I'm DONE!!!!
Sometimes just having a place to come and bounce ideas around is help in itself smile
Thanks again to all that helped beer beer

Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: TJP] #3176391
09/19/23 05:32 PM
09/19/23 05:32 PM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
Originally Posted by TJP
The car went home yesterday and I hope to never see it or it's owner again. I lost my backside on the deal labor wise and the customer could have cared less. Couldn't even say thank you for the detail job. He said, doubt I'll even request the money back from the other shop. I said if you don't need it it would certainly help me. No comment back.
I'm DONE!!!!
Sometimes just having a place to come and bounce ideas around is help in itself smile

The very fact that he brought it to you shows he can't do it himself and yet doesn't appreciate the fact that you got it done. Some people have no appreciation of what it takes to get some of this stuff done. shruggy

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: TJP] #3176427
09/19/23 06:20 PM
09/19/23 06:20 PM
Shopping @ HoBo Fright
340SIX Offline
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin
340SIX  Offline
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin

Shopping @ HoBo Fright
Originally Posted by TJP
I'm DONE!!!!

Yes helping some times feels like it's not worth it. But dint let it stop you frim.helping others.
Some times it works out other's not so.
I have given parts free to help.guys out and was great as it helped them. But have done so and had them say thanks i really needed them. And then.later sell the parts they bothered me for. Polished a,set of wheels fir a friends car since he coukd not afford new wheels. One week later he sold them. And many more stories
But not going stop me I am just more smart now who I help.

[img]https://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/sig%20pics/2840886-340SIX-1.jpg[/img]
VP of the MPM in New Orleans
73 Dart Sport 340/ 70 challenger vert. That may still get built, If I live long enough
Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: TJP] #3176428
09/19/23 06:22 PM
09/19/23 06:22 PM
UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
Originally Posted by TJP
I'm DONE!!!!

Sucks, but being in business you should of had a repair order estimate. Or an open waiver signed for time and materials. Otherwise there is no way you can expect to get paid.

Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: NITROUSN] #3176485
09/19/23 08:26 PM
09/19/23 08:26 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
If he comes back for anything else nail him. $$$

Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: 340SIX] #3176534
09/19/23 10:40 PM
09/19/23 10:40 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by 340SIX
Originally Posted by TJP
I'm DONE!!!!

Yes helping some times feels like it's not worth it. But dint let it stop you frim.helping others.
Some times it works out other's not so.
I have given parts free to help.guys out and was great as it helped them. But have done so and had them say thanks i really needed them. And then.later sell the parts they bothered me for. Polished a,set of wheels fir a friends car since he coukd not afford new wheels. One week later he sold them. And many more stories
But not going stop me I am just more smart now who I help.

NAILED IT 🎯🎯🎯

Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: stumpy] #3176537
09/19/23 10:46 PM
09/19/23 10:46 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by stumpy
If he comes back for anything else nail him. $$$

Not gonna happen. He showed his "TRUE colors" when he picked it up. there were many ways he could've handled things. I had aboard member here that i was in a similar situation with.
For two or 3 yeas an envelope would show up in the mailbox with a check for X amount. Class act he was. I'll just file it under "lessons paid for" beer

Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: NITROUSN] #3176541
09/19/23 11:00 PM
09/19/23 11:00 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by NITROUSN
Sucks, but being in business you should of had a repair order estimate. Or an open waiver signed for time and materials. Otherwise there is no way you can expect to get paid.

Agreed,
But with these cars one cannot always predict what they are going to get into labor wise as was the case with this one. I have always insisted a car leave here right or the customer knows why. This had so many issues that I should have cut it loose but that has never been my way. I've been stiffed worse than this, but it won't happen again beer

years ago there was another that said he couldn't afford the final bill, so I cut him some slack. Two weeks later he has new wheels and tires. the next time he called I said go to Jensen tire (Local repair chain the sells tires). Don't think he put 2 and 2 together wink beer

Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: TJP] #3176556
09/20/23 12:59 AM
09/20/23 12:59 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Stories like this remind me of my close personal friend that has a body shop. Painted a vette for a guy to his budget he said was tops. Guy was pleased and result was what he was told going I , based on hours allotted to bodywork at the price. Car was then take to another shop for interior as my buddy doesn’t do that.

Those guys dogged the work and charged him a bigger price to redo it, apparently not an issue this time. Hmm.

That shop butchered the body all to [censored]. Guy was pissed.

Brings car back to my friend. Price this time is more than before as the job by last yahoos left it worse than it originally was.

Guy is incensed. My buddy says well you spit in my face with this deal, plus you have all this money laying around you claimed not to have. If you’d just given me x much more the first time instead of penny pinching, you’d have a show car. You caused all this. Guy leaves.

Truth hurts.

I want my fair share
Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3176684
09/20/23 02:06 PM
09/20/23 02:06 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy
Stories like this remind me of my close personal friend that has a body shop. Painted a vette for a guy to his budget he said was tops. Guy was pleased and result was what he was told going I , based on hours allotted to bodywork at the price. Car was then take to another shop for interior as my buddy doesn’t do that.

Those guys dogged the work and charged him a bigger price to redo it, apparently not an issue this time. Hmm.

That shop butchered the body all to [censored]. Guy was pissed.

Brings car back to my friend. Price this time is more than before as the job by last yahoos left it worse than it originally was.

Guy is incensed. My buddy says well you spit in my face with this deal, plus you have all this money laying around you claimed not to have. If you’d just given me x much more the first time instead of penny pinching, you’d have a show car. You caused all this. Guy leaves.

Truth hurts.

I have met many (mostly good) people in the last 20+ years but times and people have changed. As the years have gone by many seem to think they are entitled to something for little to nothing. The same ones feel their efforts are worth 3X their actual value.
At 69YO I am tired, burnt out and have neglected many things while helping others including employees. The employees (all but one) left scars that will never heal. I'm done except for a few. beer

Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: TJP] #3176721
09/20/23 04:03 PM
09/20/23 04:03 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
i know how you feel...............
i do very little work for others, except good friends who need a hand, or a one time only help out to teach some youngster.
i have been taken advantage of many, many times over the years, just trying to be a helping hand type of guy, only to find out people expect me to be their personal mechanic or machinist and work for free, just because it's "them".
however, i catch the devil [HeLL actually laugh2] ALL the time from a couple of guys because i don't ask for help with my projects.
happened this morning when my best buddy showed up while i was painting the floor of my charger in preparation for new carpet. with his help, it took less than an hour ! i was prepared to spend most of the day on this job !
no wonder i don't get anything done ! biggrin
beer

Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: moparx] #3176885
09/21/23 10:51 AM
09/21/23 10:51 AM
Holland MI Ottawa
2boltmain Offline
master
2boltmain  Offline
master

Holland MI Ottawa
Many who are not capable of using their hands to fix there own stuff view the people who CAN fix it in this way: They think that John-Bill-Steve enjoys fixing old cars and therefore - "Because its his hobby and he loves wrenching- he wont charge me much to fix my car." The when they get the bill their true self comes out. Never mind that these same people are probably very well off financially- they want thousands of dollars worth of work performed on their car but only want to pay $600 for everything.

Last edited by 2boltmain; 09/21/23 10:52 AM.

Keep old mopars alive.
Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: 2boltmain] #3176965
09/21/23 02:57 PM
09/21/23 02:57 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by 2boltmain
Many who are not capable of using their hands to fix there own stuff view the people who CAN fix it in this way: They think that John-Bill-Steve enjoys fixing old cars and therefore - "Because its his hobby and he loves wrenching- he wont charge me much to fix my car." The when they get the bill their true self comes out. Never mind that these same people are probably very well off financially- they want thousands of dollars worth of work performed on their car but only want to pay $600 for everything.

I've had two several years back that I would still like to find in an dimly lit alley with no cameras. There have been a few more but these two needed to have their testicles in place of the tonsils.
This is a short version of one:
After six months of BS emails, in which I offered to address ALL of his imaginary concerns, (but he would not bring the vehicle in). I finally asked What do you want? I offered to meet him anywhere ( even the LOCAL PD) with all receipts and daily log sheets. If you still think I wronged you, give me a reasonable number and I'll pay you on the spot.
He responded with: that's not possible. I have many questions and concerns. I will present those as I see fit. When you have answered all to MY SATISFACTION, I will then decide how we'll settle this.
I responded, withdrawing all previous offers and told him I was done.
Two weeks later I receive a certified letter that I am being sued.
Great, now I have to get an attorney involved. Ca'ching🤑. Fortunately a friends FIL offered to help at a reduced rate.
BTW to total invoice was only 9K. My Attorney said it was total BS as there was no $$ in it for anyone.

So we go through all the BS and two days before the deposition they make an offer of 3500. My attorney advises to take it as the costs are going to be more if we proceed to trial.
So I do. They back out.
onto deposition. We go through the Q&A BS, his attorney looks at my 4 inch binder of doc's. I also happen to keep very detailed records wink
they offer 6k. I said not gonna happen. BUT, you made and offer 3 days ago, I accepted. Your client backed out.
I am a man of my word and will still honor that agreement.
His attorney just about grabbed the weasel by his shirt collar and took him outside the room. They came back in and said they would accept the offer.
I cut a check on the spot.
BUT WAIT THEIR'S MORE
About 8 weeks later the phone rings and the Caller ID is my attorney 👎😮. I'm like now what???? He said it was a DONE DEAL!!!
So I answer the phone. He says I've been meaning to call you. OK? He proceeds to tell me Scrote's attorney called him and was making small talk. My attorney finally asked why are you calling?
Scrote's attorney says you remember that case a couple of months back? Yes, what about it? Did your client ever pay you?
My attorney said yes, every time I sent an invoice I received a prompt payment. Why are you asking?
My client (Scrote) is claiming he is being billed for poor representation REALLY??? Hmm same 💩 he claimed with me, poor workmanship and substandard parts.
I asked can I hire his attorney to make this little (censored) life's MISERABLE???
He said let it go Tim wink He then said BTW I asked his attorney what his total bill was. 4850.00. So it cost the little SOB 1350.00 to sue me 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Karma is a wonderful thing smile I lost the labor and parts mark up but was left with enough to pay for the parts and wages.
Ironically, if he had met me at the local PD or wherever, 3500 is the number I had in mind all along.

For anyone wondering about his name, Scrote M. Edwards was a moniker we gave him whistling
I had thought abought signing him up for every thing I could, Singles mags, LBGT mags, Pedo mags, maybe a couple record type clubs etc. Once those people get a name and address it can be YEARS before one drops off the list
Hope someone enjoys the story beer

Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: TJP] #3177016
09/21/23 06:57 PM
09/21/23 06:57 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
Some people just need an ass-whipping, don't they ?
They lend credence to the old saw about "no good deed goes unpunished".

Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: topside] #3177115
09/21/23 11:59 PM
09/21/23 11:59 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
That’s the thing about people who throw around “I’m gonna sue you” like it’s some trip to Costco. They don’t understand there has to be more than the 15-30k (or more really) on the line to even make it worth fighting for. Anybody thinking they will drop say 2k per month, after month, after month just to uphold principles hasn’t done it before.

I want my fair share
Re: RESOLVED!!, SEVERE Clutch Chatter from a stop. [Re: TJP] #3177189
09/22/23 12:25 PM
09/22/23 12:25 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
i always heard karma was a b!tch. biggrin
beer