Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Any Updates on Missing Titanic Submarine and Rescue ? [Re: poorboy] #3155442
06/29/23 10:57 PM
06/29/23 10:57 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
^^^ This.

Re: Any Updates on Missing Titanic Submarine and Rescue ? [Re: jcc] #3155473
06/30/23 03:26 AM
06/30/23 03:26 AM
CA
C
crackedback Offline
top fuel
crackedback  Offline
top fuel
C

CA
Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by crackedback
Originally Posted by JERICOGTX
Originally Posted by Moparite
I was flipping threw the news channels last night and i still have not seen the debris field. Guess they don't have time to look over everything to distinguish if it might be a body part. At that depth i doubt anything is left.

The bodies were vaporized. No trace will ever be found of them.

Think about what happens to air in your air compressor. Going from static to 130psi and the heat in that air. Multiply that change times 100 or 1000. Happens so fast, it never registers with the person.

Human body is 80% water?
Water handles high PSI rather well.
I suspect remains suffered from extreme blunt force trauma as the seawater rushed in at very high speed in what has been estimated within 20 milliseconds?
An analogy might be similar to dropping a water balloon into deep water, it would be impacted little any at depth it sank to, even if it had any air trapped within.

Human body being 80% water is irrelevant to the compression dynamics.
What happens to the temperature of a volume of air when compressed?
Why does the air in a compressor get hot when pressurized? hmmmm.....

That thing didn't fail where the rate of change was 1 psi a minute.

Have at it.

Last edited by crackedback; 06/30/23 03:32 AM.
Re: Any Updates on Missing Titanic Submarine and Rescue ? [Re: crackedback] #3155510
06/30/23 10:57 AM
06/30/23 10:57 AM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Just who is paying for this salvage? Why even try? shruggy

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Any Updates on Missing Titanic Submarine and Rescue ? [Re: Rhinodart] #3155603
06/30/23 03:25 PM
06/30/23 03:25 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Originally Posted by Rhinodart
Just who is paying for this salvage? Why even try? shruggy

But look at all the "valuable experience" the guys with the expensive toys are getting on our money.

Re: Any Updates on Missing Titanic Submarine and Rescue ? [Re: crackedback] #3155793
07/01/23 05:10 AM
07/01/23 05:10 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by JERICOGTX
[quote=Moparite]I was flipping threw the news channels last night and i still have not seen the debris field. Guess they don't have time to look over everything to distinguish if it might be a body part. At that depth i doubt anything is left.

The bodies were vaporized. No trace will ever be found of them.

Think about what happens to air in your air compressor. Going from static to 130psi and the heat in that air. Multiply that change times 100 or 1000. Happens so fast, it never registers with the person.

Human body is 80% water?
Water handles high PSI rather well.
I suspect remains suffered from extreme blunt force trauma as the seawater rushed in at very high speed in what has been estimated within 20 milliseconds?
An analogy might be similar to dropping a water balloon into deep water, it would be impacted little any at depth it sank to, even if it had any air trapped within.

Human body being 80% water is irrelevant to the compression dynamics.
What happens to the temperature of a volume of air when compressed?
Why does the air in a compressor get hot when pressurized? hmmmm.....

That thing didn't fail where the rate of change was 1 psi a minute.

Have at it.
You understand water may compress only say 1% when under thousands of PSI, right?
Meaning, pressure alone effects water volume very little, but the likely impact of that high velocity water mass propelled by a high-pressure change does inflict damage, which is what I stated that you quoted above.
Temperature is also irrelevant in this discussion, especially when there is little volume change.
Deep ocean floor currents appear to be nonexistent near the debris field, based on the little dispersion, regardless of the depth that the failure took place.
Same can be said for sea life

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Any Updates on Missing Titanic Submarine and Rescue ? [Re: jcc] #3155865
07/01/23 10:37 AM
07/01/23 10:37 AM
rust belt
M
Moparite Offline
super stock
Moparite  Offline
super stock
M

rust belt
I seen on the news they are sifting threw the remains for body parts. Still haven't seen the debris field.

Re: Any Updates on Missing Titanic Submarine and Rescue ? [Re: jcc] #3155958
07/01/23 02:46 PM
07/01/23 02:46 PM
CA
C
crackedback Offline
top fuel
crackedback  Offline
top fuel
C

CA
Superheated air killed them in a nanosecond from the air mass being compressed. Being 80% water help them become steam.

Re: Any Updates on Missing Titanic Submarine and Rescue ? [Re: crackedback] #3155973
07/01/23 03:34 PM
07/01/23 03:34 PM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
Superheated air killed them in a nanosecond from the air mass being compressed. Being 80% water help them become steam.

Probably the tube collapsed and the end caps were slammed together.

The problem with water being basically un compressible is it would not have occurred exactly evenly over their body like it would have if they were already in the water VS a pocket of air, the walls closing in at thousand miles an hour (Hyperbole as I don't know the exact speed but rest assured it was extremely fast and certainly over mock 1) would have smashed them into oblivion, probably from the center of the tube where the collapse probably started and forcing them into the titanium ends that appear to have not been significantly damaged, the exact damage done to certain individuals probably depended on who was sitting exactly where... my guess is stockton was sitting in the window and driving it and likely to find bits and pieces of him or whoever was in the opposite end, since there was no window in the opposite end the individual closest to that end is the most likely to find bits of them. The heat probably caused some charing on the surface but they were not totally incenerated or turned to steam because there would not have been nearly enough oxygen to combust all the HCs (A/F ratio was waaay to rich) and boil all the water in their body fast enough before the increasing pressure held it from vaporizing, the higher heat from compression could not heat it enough to vaporize the water in their body as the increasing pressure was working to keep the water a liquid ( also think about a steak when you cook it if the heat is way too high it can burn the outside but the inside is still cold and how at lower elevation water needs to be hotter to boil because of higher atmospheric pressure), I suspect most of the damage to their bodies and what killed them was from 5000+ PSI pressure differential unevenly squashing them.

Also there ARE significant ocean currents at the Titanic, it has caused problems in the past with the live broadcast from the russian sub 20 years ago for example getting stuck in the Titanic for an hour or so before getting free. It had to be NEAR (but not ON) the bottom or the stuff would have been spread all over the Atlantic and I have not seen any carbon fibre in the pics so it probably shattered into tiny bits and was washed away by those currents since it is much lighter than steel, titanium or other stuff the ship was made of and the way it shatters the particles would have easily drifted away had it been ON the ocean floor.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: Any Updates on Missing Titanic Submarine and Rescue ? [Re: crackedback] #3155976
07/01/23 03:39 PM
07/01/23 03:39 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
If the pressure hull failed as it appears, the internal air likely escaped during the implosion, any air at 6000? psi then became the reduced volume of maybe of a few? gallons, and as noted any heating was in milliseconds as it reached it's final volume if trapped, which IMO is doubtful with the water's inertia, of high-speed water movement during an implosion.

Edit "Gerhard Seiffert, a deep-water marine archaeologist who recently led an expedition to scan the wreckage of the Titanic in high resolution, told the BBC that he did not believe the currents in the area were strong enough to pose a risk to a submersible – provided it had power."
I have read nothing compelling that indicates strong currents are ever normal.

Expecting the entire CF to shatter entirely into small ill retrievable pieces simultaneously would mean that the hull had to be equally stressed over its entire surface and that the composite material be equally strong on the entire same area and not suffer from any individual point being weak or have a single imperfection, defect or "wound". That is like a balloon bursting at every spot at the same time. That is almost IMO an unbelievable real-world requirement. What could explain that with my limited knowledge would be a secondary, post initial failure, by opposite facing hull surfaces colliding during failure and contacting each other at high speed and shattering, making the pieces difficult to locate and retrieve.

The large secondary non pressure containing outer sheet thin composite coverings retrieved would have been highly susceptible I concede to any ocean currents at the time.

Last edited by jcc; 07/01/23 04:15 PM.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Any Updates on Missing Titanic Submarine and Rescue ? [Re: jcc] #3156134
07/02/23 09:06 AM
07/02/23 09:06 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
I look at this like I look at a catastrophic high rpm engine explosion. What caused it and what happened first? At the end of the day it's typically all speculation. shruggy

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Any Updates on Missing Titanic Submarine and Rescue ? [Re: jcc] #3156138
07/02/23 09:26 AM
07/02/23 09:26 AM
rust belt
M
Moparite Offline
super stock
Moparite  Offline
super stock
M

rust belt
From what I seen/learned a completely round hull is what should be used because it allows even pressure all the way around it. The Titan was tube shape combined with the the questionable materials used didn't help.

[Linked Image]

Re: Any Updates on Missing Titanic Submarine and Rescue ? [Re: 6PakBee] #3156220
07/02/23 01:20 PM
07/02/23 01:20 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Of course, but still there was a cause, and prejudging it is unproductive to gain that insight.

edit, I have not seen anything to definitively indicate the rear tear shaped tail was part of the main pressure hull and under any differential pressure/ meaning the main cylinder had two similar shaped dome ends, one with a viewing port, and attached similarly.

Last edited by jcc; 07/02/23 01:28 PM.

Re: Any Updates on Missing Titanic Submarine and Rescue ? [Re: jcc] #3156607
07/03/23 04:03 PM
07/03/23 04:03 PM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlvyZ1r1DCM

This video shows some of the different materials they use for these things and a few others, the demonstration is a good representation of the two titanium end caps pressing into the carbon fiber tube but don't show the forces applied to the sides of the tube so not a complete picture but will give you some idea of what it would have experienced and why I think the two end caps may have slammed together...

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: Any Updates on Missing Titanic Submarine and Rescue ? [Re: HotRodDave] #3156624
07/03/23 05:16 PM
07/03/23 05:16 PM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
This sounds plausible. From the little I know about carbon fiber, in the event of failure, it's usually the resin shattering. The fibers then just return to their normal state of, basically, fabric.

In this case, the resin failed, the fibers turned back into fabric and the end caps accordioned in. 5 or 6 human bodies got compressed into less than a cubic yard.

Angry white pureblood male
Re: Any Updates on Missing Titanic Submarine and Rescue ? [Re: ruderunner] #3156665
07/03/23 07:35 PM
07/03/23 07:35 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by ruderunner
This sounds plausible. From the little I know about carbon fiber, in the event of failure, it's usually the resin shattering. The fibers then just return to their normal state of, basically, fabric.

In this case, the resin failed, the fibers turned back into fabric and the end caps accordioned in. 5 or 6 human bodies got compressed into less than a cubic yard.

Since human bodies are 80%? water, and water under 6000Psi on loses approx 1% in volume, meaning if they started out at 1 sq yard, I would have to agree with you.

Re: Any Updates on Missing Titanic Submarine and Rescue ? [Re: HotRodDave] #3156667
07/03/23 07:40 PM
07/03/23 07:40 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by HotRodDave
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlvyZ1r1DCM

This video shows some of the different materials they use for these things and a few others, the demonstration is a good representation of the two titanium end caps pressing into the carbon fiber tube but don't show the forces applied to the sides of the tube so not a complete picture but will give you some idea of what it would have experienced and why I think the two end caps may have slammed together...

It is not a good representation. Nobody builds an engine with alum rods the same physical dimension of a steel rod. Nobody compares CF vs steel in the same physical dimension when strength is an objective. , meaning CF has maybe 5 times the strength of Steel by weight, the CF tube should have been a much larger dimension and or at least used equal weight test samples.
BTW, do we know for certain what material the end caps, (not the fastening rings) were made of?

edit: I just watched a utube video that clearly shows the two pressure hull dome end caps, It states they fabricated from Ti.
One odd observation of the one recovered view port end cap is the viewing window is missing as its lifted off the recovery ship. Seems like its removal to aid recovery would rather be burdensome and unlikely IMO
So where when did it separate? I can't understand it separating in an implosion unless maybe it instigated the implosion, I suspect the window was fastened to mainly resist pressure from the outside, and pressure on the inside was never expected.

Re: Any Updates on Missing Titanic Submarine and Rescue ? [Re: 360view] #3156799
07/04/23 08:55 AM
07/04/23 08:55 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA

https://slate.com/technology/2023/0...bmersible-oceangate-titan-implosion.html

sample quote

After the OceanGate Titan disaster, in which five people died when the submersible imploded, I think we can all agree that rich guys who cut corners do not make great submersible engineers. But scientists have been using submersibles for decades—and with the proper safety precautions, deep-sea dives are actually quite safe. The Alvin, for example, was one of the first research submersibles, and has completed more than 5,000 dives since the mid-1960s with no deaths or serious injuries—in fact, it is likely in the water right now. In addition to scientists, the Alvin has shuttled more than 10,000 observers, just like me, to witness the magic of the deep sea. Despite the pristine track records of the Alvin and other research submersibles like it, last month’s highly public submersible disaster is making some scientists concerned about the future of their work.

end quote

Re: Any Updates on Missing Titanic Submarine and Rescue ? [Re: 360view] #3156831
07/04/23 10:45 AM
07/04/23 10:45 AM
rust belt
M
Moparite Offline
super stock
Moparite  Offline
super stock
M

rust belt
If one could see the debris field i bet the end caps where intact. Pressure on the sides of the CF or where it came together with the end caps are where it ruptured. I just found this video of the debris they pulled up and they show the end caps intact.

Re: Any Updates on Missing Titanic Submarine and Rescue ? [Re: Moparite] #3157096
07/05/23 01:09 AM
07/05/23 01:09 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Video shows one viewing port end cap. The second end cap is not obvious IMO based on only what the attached video shows. Care to elaborate?

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4