05/09/09 05:32 PM
05/09/09 05:32 PM
Wisconsin
wkroncke17 Offline OP
master
wkroncke17  Offline OP
master

Wisconsin
Id like to changeover from points to Electronic ignition on my 69 Coronet R/T. Is this a difficult task? Ive never been a big fan of wiring etc....How hard would this task be for an electrical idiot?
Its a very close to stock 440, would the orange or the chrome box be best?
Where would the best place to get one of the kits?
Thanks!!

Re: Changing 69 R/T to elect. ignition? [Re: wkroncke17] #312943
05/09/09 05:39 PM
05/09/09 05:39 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
the MP chrome box and a new or used plug in connector for the box, a MP 1.25 ohm ballast. the archives will have the schematics and the wire gauges needed.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Changing 69 R/T to elect. ignition? [Re: wkroncke17] #312944
05/09/09 06:37 PM
05/09/09 06:37 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Pertronix......Ignitor II, Pertronix Flame thrower coil, Pertronix Plugwire set stock and custom available.....everythings available from Summit.......you could order all the above for under $200.........

You can eliminate the ballast resistor from the wiring system,.....and if you prefer you can leave it in place(non-functional) for "cosmetics", if your worried about an original appearance under hood,......my recommendation is to purchase a rebuilt single point distributor, or rebuild the bushings in your original point set-up, so if you convert to the Pertronix, you don't destroy the Hallcell by having sloppy tolerances,.......with the Pertronix, there's only one extra wire leaving the distributor, going to the coil, other than that everything fits under the stock cap,.....use the recommended coil (Flame thrower) as the ohm rating is different, the stock coil will cause the Hallcell to eventually malfuction,....do not use solidcore race wires with the system either, as this will damage the Hallcell,....if you want a problem free system, requiring minimal maintenance, better starting, no high RPM break up, no more carbon tracking in the cap, and be able to fire Platnium plugs, that most people with the MP electronic system say they can't without fouling them.....go Pertronix,....I've converted all my cars/trucks/toys to Pertronix, NEVER had a failure since (over 5 yrs) or any ignition related issuses,.....I could never say that with stock point(s), electronic, MP electronic, or MSD/Accel systems.............I know this thread will start a bunch of this or that is crap, or better....but IMHO, what I'm giving you is the Pertronix is the way to go,....I played for 30 years with all the offerings out there, the Pertronix is the only thing I found that does the job,.......but if you cut corners putting the system in, you'll have grief, just like with anything else,....plus side of the install, you can return the car back to your original set-up with nothing more than some handtools, as the system requires no rewiring, the Hallcell screws onto the stock point plate, no drilling, no cutting, you remove your stock points/condenor and ground wire, the Hallcell has 2 wires that go to the coil, black to - Red to +, you take the 2 ballast wires, and join them with a double ended push on, set the airgap of the hall cell with a .030 airgap, a feeler gauge is supplied (plastic, don't use any metal)recheck the timing as the installation usually "knocks" 5-10 degrees off the timing, because of the Hallcell phasing (something most people don't check, causing grief)........so simple a caveman can do it

Your Choice?

Re: Changing 69 R/T to elect. ignition? [Re: DAYCLONA] #312945
05/09/09 08:28 PM
05/09/09 08:28 PM
Wisconsin
wkroncke17 Offline OP
master
wkroncke17  Offline OP
master

Wisconsin
Quote:

Pertronix......Ignitor II, Pertronix Flame thrower coil, Pertronix Plugwire set stock and custom available.....everythings available from Summit.......you could order all the above for under $200.........

You can eliminate the ballast resistor from the wiring system,.....and if you prefer you can leave it in place(non-functional) for "cosmetics", if your worried about an original appearance under hood,......my recommendation is to purchase a rebuilt single point distributor, or rebuild the bushings in your original point set-up, so if you convert to the Pertronix, you don't destroy the Hallcell by having sloppy tolerances,.......with the Pertronix, there's only one extra wire leaving the distributor, going to the coil, other than that everything fits under the stock cap,.....use the recommended coil (Flame thrower) as the ohm rating is different, the stock coil will cause the Hallcell to eventually malfuction,....do not use solidcore race wires with the system either, as this will damage the Hallcell,....if you want a problem free system, requiring minimal maintenance, better starting, no high RPM break up, no more carbon tracking in the cap, and be able to fire Platnium plugs, that most people with the MP electronic system say they can't without fouling them.....go Pertronix,....I've converted all my cars/trucks/toys to Pertronix, NEVER had a failure since (over 5 yrs) or any ignition related issuses,.....I could never say that with stock point(s), electronic, MP electronic, or MSD/Accel systems.............I know this thread will start a bunch of this or that is crap, or better....but IMHO, what I'm giving you is the Pertronix is the way to go,....I played for 30 years with all the offerings out there, the Pertronix is the only thing I found that does the job,.......but if you cut corners putting the system in, you'll have grief, just like with anything else,....plus side of the install, you can return the car back to your original set-up with nothing more than some handtools, as the system requires no rewiring, the Hallcell screws onto the stock point plate, no drilling, no cutting, you remove your stock points/condenor and ground wire, the Hallcell has 2 wires that go to the coil, black to - Red to +, you take the 2 ballast wires, and join them with a double ended push on, set the airgap of the hall cell with a .030 airgap, a feeler gauge is supplied (plastic, don't use any metal)recheck the timing as the installation usually "knocks" 5-10 degrees off the timing, because of the Hallcell phasing (something most people don't check, causing grief)........so simple a caveman can do it

Your Choice?

WOW!! You used a lot of big words there Mike!!
I will certainly look into going that route!! Now this is not the full billet plug and play setup?
Is there something to pull out of my dist. and put something back in to it?
This is all foriegn to me!!

Re: Changing 69 R/T to elect. ignition? [Re: wkroncke17] #312946
05/09/09 09:24 PM
05/09/09 09:24 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Wally,

This is not the plug and play billet distrbutor, the Pertronix ignitor II kit is a plate, rotor, and Hallcell assy, that screws down on top of your exsisting stock point type distributor plate, were your point(s) and condesor once resided,....the Flame thrower coil is stock in appearance, your choice chrome or black,.....their are multible Flame thrower coils, and Ignitor I and Ignitor II conversion kits available for different years and styles of Chrysler and Accel distributors,.....if you have a Summit catalog you can locate the conversion kit that best suits your needs?

What type of distributor is currently present in your 69 R/T?

Mike

Re: Changing 69 R/T to elect. ignition? [Re: DAYCLONA] #312947
05/09/09 09:33 PM
05/09/09 09:33 PM
Eugene, Oregon
M
minivan Offline
master
minivan  Offline
master
M

Eugene, Oregon
My distributor in my 67 440 was worn out. I had wanted to go electronic ignition but really did not want to add a bunch of wiring and boxes on my firewall so I purchased a Pertronix billet "plug and play" with the black cap.. Really clean and runs great....

Re: Changing 69 R/T to elect. ignition? [Re: DAYCLONA] #312948
05/10/09 10:27 AM
05/10/09 10:27 AM
Wisconsin
wkroncke17 Offline OP
master
wkroncke17  Offline OP
master

Wisconsin
Quote:

Wally,

This is not the plug and play billet distrbutor, the Pertronix ignitor II kit is a plate, rotor, and Hallcell assy, that screws down on top of your exsisting stock point type distributor plate, were your point(s) and condesor once resided,....the Flame thrower coil is stock in appearance, your choice chrome or black,.....their are multible Flame thrower coils, and Ignitor I and Ignitor II conversion kits available for different years and styles of Chrysler and Accel distributors,.....if you have a Summit catalog you can locate the conversion kit that best suits your needs?

Mike

Mike,

I have the stock single point vacuum advance distributor on the car now. I kind of understand what you are describing, but cant find them in the Summit online catolog??
This sounds like a great option.....so there would be no ECU box at all with this stup?

Wally.

Re: Changing 69 R/T to elect. ignition? [Re: wkroncke17] #312949
05/10/09 01:53 PM
05/10/09 01:53 PM
Iron Station, NC
furygt Offline
enthusiast
furygt  Offline
enthusiast

Iron Station, NC
One other point that I don't think was addressed yet is that the stock mechanical type voltage regulators are not compatible with electronic ignition systems and you must upgrade the voltage regulator to either; the '70 & up type voltage regulator which is solid state (this requires you to also get a harness for the '70 & up style regulator), or you need to obtain an aftermarket solid state voltage regulator or if you want a stock appearing voltage regulator you need to buy the stock appearing voltage regulator with solid state internals. I happen to sell the stock appearing solid state voltage regulators ($25 shipped to your door in the U.S.) as does another MOPAR member (RandyJ - browse the parts for sale postings for his post). The only thing to keep in mind is that the stock appearing solid state voltage regulators are designed for stock alternators and have a maximum alternator output rating of 65 amps.

As for changing over to an electronic ignition, if your engine is stock or fairly stock, you can buy the MOPAR Performance harness, a rebuilt electronic distributor for a '73 440 and a stock replacement ignition module (I sell both 4-pin and 5-pin modules - $15 + shipping) and build your own kit. I'm not posting to make any sales, just to cover a point not addressed yet and to give you another option. I am going to try to post a wiring diagram for a 5-pin ignition module set up and a 4-pin ballast resister but if it does not take, just send me an email for the diagram.

Lastly, I had a pertronix kit in my '66 300 with a 383-4V for a number of years and was very happy with it and it was trouble free for me and for the current owner of the car.

Good luck.

Bill

Last edited by furygt; 05/10/09 01:55 PM.
Re: Changing 69 R/T to elect. ignition? [Re: furygt] #312950
05/10/09 04:29 PM
05/10/09 04:29 PM
MARYLAND
69Cuda340S Offline
master
69Cuda340S  Offline
master

MARYLAND
I ran a standard voltage regulator in my car with Mopar electronic ignition for over 20 years and never had a problem.

When I repainted my engine compartment I went with a Mallory Unilite distributor because I didn't want an ignition box mounted in the engine compartment. Here is a big block one at Summit:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail...mp;autoview=sku

Re: Changing 69 R/T to elect. ignition? [Re: 69Cuda340S] #312951
05/10/09 05:52 PM
05/10/09 05:52 PM
Iron Station, NC
furygt Offline
enthusiast
furygt  Offline
enthusiast

Iron Station, NC
Bill:

20 years? I don't know what to say other than you got lucky as stock mechanical regulators typically fail with electronic ignition.

Jeg's even states right on the main webpage for Mopar performance ignition kits that a regulator is needed for '69 & older models:

http://www.jegs.com/p/Mopar+Performance/747043/10002/-1

Bill

Re: Changing 69 R/T to elect. ignition? [Re: wkroncke17] #312952
05/10/09 06:03 PM
05/10/09 06:03 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass

Mike

Mike,

I have the stock single point vacuum advance distributor on the car now. I kind of understand what you are describing, but cant find them in the Summit online catolog??
This sounds like a great option.....so there would be no ECU box at all with this stup?

Wally.

Walley,.....there's no ECU box to worry about, everything fits under the stock distributor cap, if you can change your [points and condensor, you can install this kit,.....very easy,

The Pertronix kit # for your application is # PNX-91381A list $109 dollars Summit Price

The Pertronix Flame Thrower II coil is stock looking in appearance, fits the stock coil bracket ....for the black coil # PNX-45011, $33 dollars ......if you prefer chrome the # is PNX 45001 $41 dollars.....Summit prices

If you want Pertronix plug wires?...stock looking black for 383/440 the # is PNX 708107 $45 dollars....Summit price

Walley I'd recommend purchasing a rebuilt SINGLE point vacumm advance distributor for your car, from Autozone, NAPA, Carquest, etc, about $50....and converting that, then just replace your entire distributor when your ready,......if you never pulled a BigBlock distributor, it's very easy, it can only go in two ways because of the slotted end, the correct way, or the wrong way 180 degrees off, just make a note of which way/direction the rotor is pointing when you pull your original, DO NOT TURN OVER the engine, you will lose your timing,.......just install the converted distributor, like you removed your original, and set timing to what you normally run....

So for $240 bucks you can have a rebuilt dist, new coil, new wires, and electronic ignition,......should go the whole route new cap and plugs,...a rotor is supplied with the kit,.........and Walley if you decide to go this route, when you open you kit, DO NOT remove the green or red "tape" from the HallCell, this is a magnetic band, some people tear it off, thinking it's shipping tape .....read all the instructions before you start,.....it's a very user friendly install......Good Luck!

Re: Changing 69 R/T to elect. ignition? [Re: DAYCLONA] #312953
05/10/09 10:51 PM
05/10/09 10:51 PM
Wisconsin
wkroncke17 Offline OP
master
wkroncke17  Offline OP
master

Wisconsin
Quote:

Mike

Mike,

Wally.

Walley,.....there's no ECU box to worry about, everything fits under the stock distributor cap, if you can change your [points and condensor, you can install this kit,.....very easy,

The Pertronix kit # for your application is # PNX-91381A list $109 dollars Summit Price

The Pertronix Flame Thrower II coil is stock looking in appearance, fits the stock coil bracket ....for the black coil # PNX-45011, $33 dollars ......if you prefer chrome the # is PNX 45001 $41 dollars.....Summit prices

If you want Pertronix plug wires?...stock looking black for 383/440 the # is PNX 708107 $45 dollars....Summit price

Walley I'd recommend purchasing a rebuilt SINGLE point vacumm advance distributor for your car, from Autozone, NAPA, Carquest, etc, about $50....and converting that, then just replace your entire distributor when your ready,......if you never pulled a BigBlock distributor, it's very easy, it can only go in two ways because of the slotted end, the correct way, or the wrong way 180 degrees off, just make a note of which way/direction the rotor is pointing when you pull your original, DO NOT TURN OVER the engine, you will lose your timing,.......just install the converted distributor, like you removed your original, and set timing to what you normally run....

So for $240 bucks you can have a rebuilt dist, new coil, new wires, and electronic ignition,......should go the whole route new cap and plugs,...a rotor is supplied with the kit,.........and Walley if you decide to go this route, when you open you kit, DO NOT remove the green or red "tape" from the HallCell, this is a magnetic band, some people tear it off, thinking it's shipping tape .....read all the instructions before you start,.....it's a very user friendly install......Good Luck!

Mike,
Thanks a ton for the info!!! Part #'s, prices and all!!!
Advance sells a (Cardone) dist for $38. I assume that will work ok? (seems kinda cheap?)
Believe it or not, this is the first big block that Ive worked on! I made sure to pull the dist and not move it, or turn over the engine.
What about the voltage regulator....will stock be ok?
I like the looks of this pertronix deal, and am pretty sure thats the route Im gonna go.
Thanks again!!!

Wally.

Re: Changing 69 R/T to elect. ignition? [Re: wkroncke17] #312954
05/10/09 11:10 PM
05/10/09 11:10 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Wally the stock mechanical voltage reg is fine with the Pertronix,......although regardless of the ignition you chose, even if you stay with the points, there is an electronic replacement that you could update to, plug and play, no electrical surgery required, and it looks close to stock in appearance, it's available at AutoZone......I can't recall the part number at this time, perhaps someone else might chime in with it?.....if not I'll look it up tommorrow

If you decide to go Pertronix, you have 2 choices with the ballast resistor, use it or lose it,.....I'd recommend you lose it, this way you have a true 12 volts supplied to the HallCell, and you eliminate a wink link in the ignition system

Mike G

Re: Changing 69 R/T to elect. ignition? [Re: DAYCLONA] #312955
05/10/09 11:15 PM
05/10/09 11:15 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

I can't recall the part number at this time,

It's a "wells" brand, dont know the # though

Re: Changing 69 R/T to elect. ignition? [Re: RapidRobert] #312956
05/11/09 01:16 PM
05/11/09 01:16 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
THe Petronix stuff is great. Do run the coil they sell as well. They now have an under the cap MSD type deal as well. I have yet to run one of those.

I'm not a fan of the Petronix plug wires though. While they may look correct, they have loose ends. I would look at Firecores. Everybody seems to love them, only down side is they seem to be 100 bucks or more. You get what you pay for.

I want my fair share
Re: Changing 69 R/T to elect. ignition? [Re: SomeCarGuy] #312957
05/12/09 11:55 AM
05/12/09 11:55 AM
Dallas, Wisconsin
BurntOrange Offline
enthusiast
BurntOrange  Offline
enthusiast

Dallas, Wisconsin
I'm waiting for the Ignitor III Distributor to come out this month. This link shows the unit in the distributor so you can see how easy it is to put in.
http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor3/default.aspx

Re: Changing 69 R/T to elect. ignition? [Re: BurntOrange] #312958
05/12/09 01:26 PM
05/12/09 01:26 PM
Back In Iowa
B
belv2vert66 Offline
pro stock
belv2vert66  Offline
pro stock
B

Back In Iowa
Not to hi jack, but I am doing the pertronix conversion on my dart project. I wanted my firewall/harness to look somewhat factory, so I just took the resistor apart and replaced it with a piece of wire and crimped the resistor ends on it. I haven't tried to start the cart yet but will this work ?

Re: Changing 69 R/T to elect. ignition? [Re: belv2vert66] #312959
05/12/09 01:29 PM
05/12/09 01:29 PM
Wisconsin
wkroncke17 Offline OP
master
wkroncke17  Offline OP
master

Wisconsin
No worry about hijacking....Im an "electrical" idiot....glad to have everyone chime in and ask/tell everything possible!!

Re: Changing 69 R/T to elect. ignition? [Re: belv2vert66] #312960
05/12/09 03:11 PM
05/12/09 03:11 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

I just took the resistor apart and replaced it with a piece of wire and crimped the resistor ends on it. I haven't tried to start the cart yet but will this work ?

yes