Rug_Trucker Offline
I Live Here
Rug_Trucker  Offline
I Live Here
R

Not2farfromNashville, TN
Quote:

Quote:

I double checked my setup and on two of the cylinders the reluctor gap is tighter than the other six. Is this ok.

that might be because the shaft is moving

Lots of slop!

Re: Distributor phasing is a good idea [Re: aarcuda] #312436
05/19/09 05:34 PM
05/19/09 05:34 PM
upstate western ny
sogtx Offline
master
sogtx  Offline
master

upstate western ny
Uh Oh Better call FBO  hell sell you a phased distibutor that has been sanblasted to look new and then be a jerk ( thats a whole differnet story ) .. .but he says that phasing is important ...4secondsflat.com or something

Tom Quad is very anal about his engines, sometimes maybe too anal 
but why spend all that money on msd and firewires and not be concerned about phasing .. even if it helps fractionally what do you have to lose ?

read the MSD installation book .. they must be idiots ...

http://www.msdignition.com/instructions/...f?terms=phasing

Last edited by sogtx; 05/19/09 05:45 PM.
Re: Distributor phasing is a good idea [Re: sogtx] #312437
05/21/09 06:26 AM
05/21/09 06:26 AM
germany
440sat72 Offline
top fuel
440sat72  Offline
top fuel

germany
thanks for sharing the link to the msd-manual ... life can be so simple :-)

i am wondering wether fabricating a custom rotor tip which is wider than the stock one would make sense ... so the spark doesnt have to jump so far when vacuum advance kicks in ...

Re: Distributor phasing is a good idea [Re: 440sat72] #312438
05/21/09 09:35 PM
05/21/09 09:35 PM
Not2farfromNashville, TN
R
Rug_Trucker Offline
I Live Here
Rug_Trucker  Offline
I Live Here
R

Not2farfromNashville, TN
Quote:

i am wondering wether fabricating a custom rotor tip which is wider than the stock one would make sense ... so the spark doesnt have to jump so far when vacuum advance kicks in ...

I had a '79 Mercury Marquis with a multiple rotor tip IIRC. It had a "T" shaped rotor. I was told it was a California emission package, variable venturi carb.

There is a wide terminal /6 cap out there! For what I can't remember.

"The only thing to do for triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

"NUNQUAM NON PARATUS!"
Re: Distributor phasing is a good idea [Re: AndyF] #312439
05/21/09 09:39 PM
05/21/09 09:39 PM
Val-haul-ass... eventually
B
BradH Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
BradH  Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
B

Val-haul-ass... eventually
Quote:

I used to sell these reluctors that were modified with extra slots so the distributor could be phased. That trick worked really well for me back when I was running factory distributors.

I still have one you did that I bought from GregZ years ago...

Re: Distributor phasing is a good idea [Re: BradH] #312440
05/21/09 10:25 PM
05/21/09 10:25 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm still looking for "the proof." For example, quite a few modern vehicles have been built with crank triggered, computer controlled ignition WHICH IS THEN FED through a distributor WITH A LOCKED ADVANCE. This means that WHATEVER the computer does to the ignition advance, THE ROTOR DOES NOT CHANGE and therefore THE PHASING MUST CHANGE over the range of the advance. So let's say that the advance range in the computer is something, say, 10-50*. That's a spread of 20*, the center of which is 30* at the crank. THIS MEANS that if you phase the distributor at 30* crank degrees advance, the rotor phasing WILL STILL CHANGE by plus and minus 20 degrees!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I admit fully that I haven't researched these types of problems, but neither has the original poster---who hasn't posted on shread of dyno or oscope or mileage proof that this is an important or prevelant problem. All I know is, my Ford Ranger has the above listed type of distributor--and it doesn't seem to have problem tracking the cap!!! It doesn't exhibit poor mileage or driveability problems. I ran old Mopars thousands of miles, and I know a cap tracking problem when I see it.

The original poster is making statements like "your car will run better". Well fine---if it does, you should be able to prove it. You should be able to take an example car and show some 0-60 times, or mileage change, or something to back up your claims.

The question STILL in my mind is, "is this a problem" or "is this a PERCEIVED problem?"

(This would not be the first time that a bunch of sheep have run off a cliff.)

Re: Distributor phasing is a good idea #312441
05/23/09 06:14 AM
05/23/09 06:14 AM
upstate western ny
sogtx Offline
master
sogtx  Offline
master

upstate western ny

Re: Distributor phasing is a good idea #312442
05/23/09 06:53 AM
05/23/09 06:53 AM
Answering the call of the wild
T
ThermoQuad Offline OP
top fuel
ThermoQuad  Offline OP
top fuel
T

Answering the call of the wild
My deepest apologies to the rest of of the moparts board who have had to put up with the mindless flak.

Who said anything about computer controlled ignitions?? This subject is about a known deficiency in mopar electronic ignition systems used on cars built from the 60's thru the eighties. Pictures tell a thousand words.

Quote:

I'm still looking for "the proof." For example, quite a few modern vehicles have been built with crank triggered, computer controlled ignition WHICH IS THEN FED through a distributor WITH A LOCKED ADVANCE. This means that WHATEVER the computer does to the ignition advance, THE ROTOR DOES NOT CHANGE and therefore THE PHASING MUST CHANGE over the range of the advance. So let's say that the advance range in the computer is something, say, 10-50*. That's a spread of 20*, the center of which is 30* at the crank. THIS MEANS that if you phase the distributor at 30* crank degrees advance, the rotor phasing WILL STILL CHANGE by plus and minus 20 degrees!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I admit fully that I haven't researched these types of problems, but neither has the original poster---who hasn't posted on shread of dyno or oscope or mileage proof that this is an important or prevelant problem. All I know is, my Ford Ranger has the above listed type of distributor--and it doesn't seem to have problem tracking the cap!!! It doesn't exhibit poor mileage or driveability problems. I ran old Mopars thousands of miles, and I know a cap tracking problem when I see it.

The original poster is making statements like "your car will run better". Well fine---if it does, you should be able to prove it. You should be able to take an example car and show some 0-60 times, or mileage change, or something to back up your claims.

The question STILL in my mind is, "is this a problem" or "is this a PERCEIVED problem?"

You really need to get a grip on yourself as you have no clue what you are babbling about. The community college near you may offer some basic electronics courses so you can understand ohms law but first you need to be able to add, subtract multiply and divide. Your nonsense is very discouraging to any further information sharing.

Phasing is something that needs to be checked and corrected if it is not correct. A properly tuned engine will have a phased distributor with a custom curve.

Re: Distributor phasing is a good idea [Re: ThermoQuad] #312443
05/23/09 12:35 PM
05/23/09 12:35 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

My deepest apologies to the rest of of the moparts board who have had to put up with the mindless flak.

Who said anything about computer controlled ignitions?? This subject is about a known deficiency in mopar electronic ignition systems used on cars built from the 60's thru the eighties. Pictures tell a thousand words.

Quote:

You really need to get a grip on yourself as you have no clue what you are babbling about. The community college near you may offer some basic electronics courses so you can understand ohms law but first you need to be able to add, subtract multiply and divide. Your nonsense is very discouraging to any further information sharing.

Phasing is something that needs to be checked and corrected if it is not correct. A properly tuned engine will have a phased distributor with a custom curve.

This has now become a PERSONAL ATTACK
"mindless flak."

"You really need to get a grip on yourself as you have no clue what you are babbling about. The community college near you may offer some basic electronics courses so you can understand ohms law but first you need to be able to add, subtract multiply and divide. Your nonsense is very discouraging to any further information sharing."

I have news for you, and I refuse to resort to the same below the belt name calling that you have just engaged in. I knew ohms law before I got out of junior high school.

YOU HAVE PROVIDED NO CONCRETE PROOF THAT YOU KNOW OF WHAT YOU SPEAK, THAT THIS ALLEGED PROBLEM IS WIDESPREAD, OR THAT IT'S EVEN A PROBLEM, AND HOW MUCH IF ANY GAIN IS TO BE GAINED.

Evidently you completely missed the point of mentioning computer controlled ignitions, or did you chose to ignore it? The FACT is that it helps prove my point. One a crank triggered computer controlled ignition WHICH USES A DISTRIBUTOR BODY the rotor does NOT advance or retard, either with centrifugal or vacuum. It is LOCKED in place, and the computer controls the spark timing. WHAT THIS MEANS IS that over the many degrees of advance/ retard, the DISTRIBUTOR PHASING cannot possibly be optimum, and this is my point------all these systems, whether points, magnetic, crank triggered, what, have a certain amount of variance BUILT IN to allow the advance system to work.

A little additional information. This subject has nothing to do with simple ohms law which you seem so proud of. For your information, I once had considerable electronics experience, and to this day have a fairly comprehensive test bench with more than enough test gear to start a two way repair shop. I still have some, if not aging, spectrum analysis gear, several once high end RF test gear, and the forerunner to a modern network analyzer. I have severa swept RF and audio generators, as well as a couple of pulse and other specialized bench generators clear down into the sub audible range

Nevertheless, some of that gear is just as accurate as it ever was, and that which is not is more accurate than it needs to be for my purposes.

I'm not going to mince words here. You WILL stop with the personal attack, the allegation that I'm stupid or uneducated, that I need more schooling, and you WILL NOT engage in any further personal references as to race, creed, religion, my height, weight, age, personal preferences, or any other damn thing.

Got it?

Last edited by 440sixpack; 05/23/09 01:25 PM.
Re: Distributor phasing is a good idea [Re: ThermoQuad] #312444
05/23/09 12:50 PM
05/23/09 12:50 PM
Wilmington,NC
I
I go fast Offline
I go fast  Offline
I

Wilmington,NC
You guys make my head hurt. I've come to the conclusion that after reading most of the above that distributor phasing is a real problem and needs to be corrected on 99% of all vehicles in existence or your car will suffer significant performance loss.Your car may have untapped performance potential that you didn't even know was there. If this response seems to be sarcastic,it is.
Like said before,show me proof!

Re: Distributor phasing is a good idea [Re: I go fast] #312445
05/23/09 08:10 PM
05/23/09 08:10 PM
Australia
C
charger RTSE Offline
charger RTSE  Offline
C

Australia
Bottom line is these days with all the parts getting made cheaply overseas its just another thing to be aware of.If i bought a new dissy i would check mine over.
So everyone calm down and relax.
Go and do some work on ya Mopar.

Re: Distributor phasing is a good idea [Re: AndyF] #312446
05/23/09 11:03 PM
05/23/09 11:03 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I started to make the custom reluctors to fix a problem that I had with the stroker motor in my car.

What happened with that motor was that when the vacuum advance was activated the rotor phasing would get far enough out of whack that the spark would start jumping to the wrong post and I'd get a severe misfire.

I chased my tail for a long time until I figured out how to test for this condition. Basically I just set the motor at a fast idle and then used a Mityvac to pull a vacuum on the advance canister. As soon as I reached a decent amount of vacuum advance the motor would start to misfire.

To fix it I remachined the reluctor so that the initial rotor phasing was to one side of the post and full vacuum adavance put me on the other side of the post. Basically I just split the difference. That solved the issue and the misfire condition went away.

I then started to sell the remachined reluctors but eventually the supply for them dried up and I got tired of how much work it took to make them. I also got tired of how little people were willing to pay for them and all the experts who told me that they weren't needed so I just stopped selling them.

I still think the re-machined reluctor is an easy solution to a specific problem. I'm not sure why some distributors have the issue and others don't but I do know I've run into the problem before and that it was severe enough to cause significant misfiring.

i have to agree with everything Andy has stated here. rotor phasing is not something new, we've corrected hundreds of MP, MSD and stock distributors over the years. the correct phasing is exactly as Andy described it above.
i've had engines that ran great at WOT but always had what seemed like a misfire at idle. rotor phasing was so far off that the spark literally couldn't always jump the gap. correcting that condition improved the idle quality evey time.
"bench" testing the phasing is not reliable. it really needs to be done with the engine running.

Re: Distributor phasing is a good idea #312447
05/23/09 11:51 PM
05/23/09 11:51 PM
Norwalk, Ohio
sycboi Offline
super stock
sycboi  Offline
super stock

Norwalk, Ohio
Quote:

i have to agree with everything Andy has stated here. rotor phasing is not something new, we've corrected hundreds of MP, MSD and stock distributors over the years. the correct phasing is exactly as Andy described it above.
i've had engines that ran great at WOT but always had what seemed like a misfire at idle. rotor phasing was so far off that the spark literally couldn't always jump the gap. correcting that condition improved the idle quality evey time.
"bench" testing the phasing is not reliable. it really needs to be done with the engine running.

It sounds to me as if everything you and AndyF are saying only lends credit to Mr. Tom Quad's statements. I think I need to check mine out to optimize my set-up...

-Michael

SuperBeast

An enforcer for the Mopar Mafia!
Re: Distributor phasing is a good idea [Re: David_in_St_Croi] #312448
05/24/09 12:10 AM
05/24/09 12:10 AM
Tustin, CA
P
pishta Offline
super stock
pishta  Offline
super stock
P

Tustin, CA
Quote:

The reluctor in our MP distributor already had two grooves machined in it from the factory. DRAM explained to me how to check the phasing, using the hole in cap and timing light trick. It was definitely off on the 383 in our RR. I had removed it to change the pickup coil. I then switched the reluctor to the other slot and it was spot on and the car definitely runs smoother now. The difference was clear, both visually using the timing light and how well the car ran. It was not hard to do, you just need an old distributor cap to sacrifice. It explained the wear on one side of the terminal inside the old distributor cap, instead of the nice even wear shown in the first post.

If you have a MP distributor pull the rotor and look carefully, to see if it has two grooves. If the phasing is off try the other slot before doing anything more elaborate, you might get lucky.

Mopar reluctors have 2 keyway slots, one is exactly under a reluctor tooth and should say or have a CW rotation arrow on top of the reluctor, this is the LA side. Flip it over and you should see a CCW arrow or CCW pointing at the other slot that is about a slot width off the tooth (to the left of the tooth looking down with the off center slot at 12 o'clock) during production, they might have installed the "universal" reluctor in the wrong position depending on the model of distributor.
As for no other manufacturer addressing this problem, MSD has a 2 part rotor that has the ability to adjust rotor tip position a few degrees either way. They also have a super duper distributor that can adjust every reluctors position. Dont know if it is as offset reluctors or what but I did read it in a press release. FBO states many stock Mopar distributors are as much as 20 degrees out, that is half the distance between contacts!

12 Grand Caravan
06 T&C
02 T&C
96 Breeze
65 Barracuda "S"
Re: Distributor phasing is a good idea [Re: pishta] #312449
05/24/09 12:22 AM
05/24/09 12:22 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

Mopar reluctors have 2 keyway slots, one is exactly under a reluctor tooth and should say or have a CW rotation arrow on top of the reluctor, this is the LA side. Flip it over and you should see a CCW arrow or CCW pointing at the other slot that is about a slot width off the tooth (to the left of the tooth looking down with the off center slot at 12 o'clock) during production, they might have installed the "universal" reluctor in the wrong position depending on the model of distributor.
As for no other manufacturer addressing this problem, MSD has a 2 part rotor that has the ability to adjust rotor tip position a few degrees either way. They also have a super duper distributor that can adjust every reluctors position. Dont know if it is as offset reluctors or what but I did read it in a press release. FBO states many stock Mopar distributors are as much as 20 degrees out, that is half the distance between contacts!

good info

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Distributor phasing is a good idea [Re: pishta] #312450
05/24/09 02:18 AM
05/24/09 02:18 AM
germany
440sat72 Offline
top fuel
440sat72  Offline
top fuel

germany
Quote:

FBO states many stock Mopar distributors are as much as 20 degrees out, that is half the distance between contacts!

i have not been able to take pictures of my distributor cap yet but i can tell you i have significant burn marks exactly between the terminals, indicating that the phasing is mucho out of whack!

i will correct it asap and let you know the results.

Re: Distributor phasing is a good idea [Re: 440sat72] #312451
05/24/09 02:26 PM
05/24/09 02:26 PM
Michigan
MNobody Offline
master
MNobody  Offline
master

Michigan
Ok Guy's, i just cut a hole in an old cap and followed the MSD instruction's, this is a 318 with a MSD Dist and 6AL. According to the timing light my cap would have to rotate Clockwise 3/16" - 1/4" to make the rotor tip and cap terminal line up. It is sparking on the left side of the cap terminal if you are looking at the side of the cap. I'm guessing this need's to be corrected? Oh the burn mark in the cap terminal is not noticable but the burn mark on the tip of the rotor is obvious, right on the edge of the tip.

Last edited by MNobody; 05/24/09 02:28 PM.
Re: Distributor phasing is a good idea [Re: MNobody] #312452
05/24/09 02:52 PM
05/24/09 02:52 PM
the boonies
aarcuda Offline
I Live Here
aarcuda  Offline
I Live Here

the boonies
Quote:

Ok Guy's, i just cut a hole in an old cap and followed the MSD instruction's, this is a 318 with a MSD Dist and 6AL. According to the timing light my cap would have to rotate Clockwise 3/16" - 1/4" to make the rotor tip and cap terminal line up. It is sparking on the left side of the cap terminal if you are looking at the side of the cap. I'm guessing this need's to be corrected? Oh the burn mark in the cap terminal is not noticable but the burn mark on the tip of the rotor is obvious, right on the edge of the tip.

wow

Re: Distributor phasing is a good idea [Re: aarcuda] #312453
05/24/09 03:14 PM
05/24/09 03:14 PM
Michigan
MNobody Offline
master
MNobody  Offline
master

Michigan
Yeah i figured it would be closer..I cheated and trimmed the tab in the cap to let me rotate it Clockwise and get it lined up better as mentioned earlier in the post. Here's a pic of my test cap.

5249509-jj.jpg (241 downloads)
Re: Distributor phasing is a good idea [Re: MNobody] #312454
05/25/09 10:58 AM
05/25/09 10:58 AM
Wilmington,NC
I
I go fast Offline
I go fast  Offline
I

Wilmington,NC
So now,after all the pro's and con's about distributor phasing,can "ANYONE" show me a actual dyno comparison of each?There are a lot of quote:"I can tell the difference,my car runs better, etc",you can convince yourself of anything if you think about it long enough.Unless you have an actual comparison it is still speculation.Make a believer out of me ,show me actual results on paper,not guessing,speculation or theory.I've been wrong many times,one more won't hurt if I am.You can even throw stones if you wish.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5